Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Anyone getting the feeling of an alarming rise in case numbers towards the end of the upcoming week?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Irish gov doesn't want to implement a unilateral ban on any country because then that country may ban Irish people

I don't think anyone is suggesting a ban, just a properly functioning and enforced quarantine system for travel from high risk countries. US doesn't let in Irish citizens or residents so wouldn't change that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone getting the feeling of an alarming rise in case numbers towards the end of the upcoming week?

No, why do you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,643 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish gov doesn't want to implement a unilateral ban on any country because then that country may ban Irish people

Hasn't Trump's America already banned the Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You mean the US would stop Irish entering the states????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Igotadose wrote: »
    Mandating masks and keeping out visitors from the Covid hotspots until they're less hot will help. Other countries more open to travel, especially European ones, have far more robust health systems than the HSE. Italy, Spain, France, UK are all much larger, better funded and have better results per capita than Ireland when it comes to health care. UK's doing poorly for Covid due to laughably incompetent government, but normally we'd trade the HSE for the NHS in a blink.

Ireland's health care can't cope with a big pandemic.
    We won't have a big pandemic. The issues in March no longer exist, with testing, protection of care locations and our own understanding of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

About the numbers of new cases that rose during the week and seem to be falling again, this seems to be consistent with the pattern of other countries. After the peak has passed, the numbers of daily new cases rises and falls but overall remains fairly stable at a low level. So a rise over a few days does not necessarily mean the start of a new wave. I haven't looked into this in any further detail, and there will be localised clusters, but wouldn't be surprised if Ireland starts to see a similar pattern over the coming weeks.

TyPFYet.png

Face masks have been compulsory in all those 4 countries for the entire summer so far.

I said unilateral.
    atleast within the EU theres a method of agreement
    We only do unilateral with foot and mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No, why do you think that?

Just from observations having been out in town Friday night and this afternoon. Although Dame land was silent Friday night walking by.

Seems to be more groups living across different households congregating in the bars that are open etc. Along with tourists coming back into the country. I think we will see a rise but it will be enough to serve as a reminder. Just my 2cents, sincerely hope its not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Boggles wrote: »
    Face masks have been compulsory in all those 4 countries for the entire summer so far.

Another reason why our gov need to start enforcing mask wearing in shops and public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Alarming rise? What would that look like?

I Don’t think you completely eradicate the virus from a country while it’s in other countries. Certainly not while it’s so prevelant.

For political or economical reasons there seems to be some propaganda horsesh*t about schools and travel being ok without any scientific evidence to back it up. So it looks like we are being primed to just accept the virus, accept a certain level of infections and until a vaccine is found there will prob be mixed messages.

This is a virus. It doesn’t avoid schools or airports or planes, no matter what anybody tries to tell us. It’s very similar to wartime propaganda when the country needs bodies to goto the slaughter, governments will give whatever message they think the country needs. Right now the message is to try and get back to some sort of normalcy. It made sense to say masks were not required early on because they couldn’t get enough PPE equipment to medical staff. That’s why they have changed their Tone. Not just that, we don’t have all the answers on this virus , why are people surprised mistakes are being made?

Mind you, I don’t think they have an easy job, many people don’t want the truth, so if it makes it easier for them to think schools and foreign travel is fine, then it suits the powers at be to promote it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Another thing to factor in, when thinking about Florida/California/California in particular, is the amount of undocumented immigrants who are very hesitant to go seek medical help.

Florida for example has a shocking situation regarding illegal immigrant women turning up.with stage 4 breast cancer, they avoid seeking treatment for fear of being arrested/deported.

So there will be clusters of people actively trying to keep under the radar

is_that_so wrote: »
    We won't have a big pandemic. The issues in March no longer exist, with testing, protection of care locations and our own understanding of this.

You mean we hopefully won't have a "big pandemic".

Unless you have next weeks lotto numbers for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are you living in the states - else your comment is ludicrous

When cases are identified in American tourists and the media gets hold of it I wonder will we see an army of drones shutting down Dublin airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ficheall wrote: »
    I worked many summers in a tourist shop - we used to hate seeing the Americans coming in, because they talked loudly and asked questions and bought sweet eff all. Whereas the old Scots (despite their reputation) would just come in and ask for a dozen of this and half a dozen of the other, and then toddle off.
    I realise this is just one scenario, but I'm finding it difficult to call to mind any American I've met who was overly generous with their cash. I'll think on it..

I’ve heard that said too from people in hospitality. Most Americans are tight as a ducks arse with cash. And high maintenance for anything they do spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork GAA Statement:

Cork County Board has been informed by Glanworth GAA that a player has tested positive for Covid 19.

https://gaacork.ie/2020/07/12/cork-gaa-statement/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I think if I even saw Matthew McConaughney walking down the street now near me, I would run far away in the opposite direction and shout fcek back to America, alright alright alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

fritzelly wrote: »
    Are you living in the states - else your comment is ludicrous

Ah here, I was merely asking the question based on observations living in and walking around Dublin City. Jesus people are edgy when you suggest the possibility of a rise ffs.

Aln alarming rise in Irish terms would be 40/50 cases on a given day.

Nevermind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think if I even saw Matthew McCoughney walking down the street now near me, I would run far away in the opposite direction and shout fcek back to America, alright alright alright

Ah now, american tourists is one thing, but let's not go overboard here, Matthew McConaughey is Matthew McConaughey :)

Boggles wrote: »
    You mean we hopefully won't have a "big pandemic".

Unless you have next weeks lotto numbers for me?
    No, I'm going with logic, what we know, what we've seen elsewhere and that we are so much better prepared now. I'm certainly not giving up the lotto numbers!

Ah now, american tourists is one thing, but let's not go overboard here, Matthew McConaughey is Matthew McConaughey :)

Even in the buff still the same :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No, I'm going with logic, what we know, what we've seen elsewhere and that we are so much better prepared now.

It’s not logical to proclaim that there won’t be a big surge again because we just don’t know at this stage. There’s a lot we still don’t know and can’t predict, it’s very unwise to make such bold statements.

What will it be like in wintertime when flu season hits?

Will schools be as “safe” as we are being told?

Will foreign travel and reduction of lockdowns lead to a USA type scenario?

How will we manage clusters or increase in numbers?

How will massive numbers around the world affect us, particularly if we don’t manage travel in and out of Ireland ?

These all don’t have to have negative answers and don’t imply things will get worse then they were but right now we are still just at the beginning of the pandemic.

This is going to be around for awhile by the looks of it, pending a vaccine, the logical conclusion is that we really don’t know how this will play out. But if we get complacent and declare victory (like many countries had been doing and then had surges) , we stand to make bad mistakes and make it worse then it needs to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I already miss Simon, Leo and Tony briefings

I miss brexit. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Call me racist but we need to put Ireland and it's citizens first, these citzens would include from Brazil and Roma if long term

I'm sorry but the silence from Coveney and Martin on incoming travel from hot spots is maddening :mad:

Why not just put a whites only sign on the hospital door altogether? Racist ****e out of you you should be ashamed and all the hysteria out of you why not go to a Trump rally you'll be in good company then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

More on Janet Kavanagh, the owner of E-Whizz Electric Bikes from Kilfenora in Co. Clare , who cancelled a guided cycle for two US tourists last night, after they said they hadn't isolated for two weeks.

She is making the news and I certainly hope the positive publicity will help her business thrive with Irish clients in these difficult times.

Co. Clare has had absolutely no coronavirus cases for a month now and I hope these two irresponsible Yanks will not mess it up for them.

She said in a reply to an earlier tweet that "Yes they have already stayed a night in an Airbnb in Meath and are now no doubt on their way to Doolin".

They appear to have lied on the HSE Passenger Location Form at the airport and maybe should now be worried about that offence being "punishable by a fine not exceeding €2,500 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or both"

I believe Lisdoonvarna is the Garda station covering Doolin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Why not just put a whites only sign on the hospital door altogether? Racist ****e out of you you should be ashamed and all the hysteria out of you why not go to a Trump rally you'll be in good company then.

Chill fella.
    What he said wasn’t racist.
    Stop your outrage nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Cork GAA Statement:

Cork County Board has been informed by Glanworth GAA that a player has tested positive for Covid 19.

https://gaacork.ie/2020/07/12/cork-gaa-statement/

Ballyhooly GAA (10km from Glanworth) also temporarily suspending training.

About 11%-12% I think now. It seems foreign is bad now as we've seen packed planeloads of imaginary tourists showing up in the last week or so.

I mean it's amazing in the absence of a problem the lads here will make one all in their heads. I mean you'd swear the mongol hordes were raping and pillaging through the country the way lads here are going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I was reading about a family household in India of 17, where they all became infected, including an 89 and a 90 year old, and none of them died. Batten down the hatches and dive, or were all going to die, and if you hear a banging on the hull, it's probably some American tourist who has swum down 300' with a map and some questions, so all ahead full and hope the propeller shreds them.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Chill fella.
    What he said wasn’t racist.
    Stop your outrage nonsense.

Chill yourself. He said that Irish people should be seen before what the posters perceived as 'foreigners'. I'm not getting dragged into your guff again I got a 48hr ban already because of you last week so save it.

No, I'm going with logic, what we know, what we've seen elsewhere and that we are so much better prepared now. I'm certainly not giving up the lotto numbers!

You are not, you are leading with blind hope by listing the few advantages without given a nod to the rather large amount of challenges we face.

There is absolutely zero logic in someone, especially you categorically ruling out a potential future event in relation to a novel virus we have practically no immunity to.

Sorry to burst your bubble but not all Irish citizens are white.....so your post doesn't make any sense...just letting you know so you don't look stupid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Ah here, I was merely asking the question based on observations living in and walking around Dublin City. Jesus people are edgy when you suggest the possibility of a rise ffs.

Aln alarming rise in Irish terms would be 40/50 cases on a given day.

Nevermind.

Jaysus, you had to put out a lot of fires for just asking an innocent question LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

An updated fairy tale...

JnyaSlT.jpg

JJayoo wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble but not all Irish citizens are white.....so your post doesn't make any sense...just letting you know so you don't look stupid...

Well it's a good thing I'm not the one calling for people to be treated based on nationality. So maybe read back so you don't look stupid although it's probably too late for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Chill yourself. He said that Irish people should be seen before what the posters perceived as 'foreigners'. I'm not getting dragged into your guff again I got a 48hr ban already because of you last week so save it.

Lol! You need to relax and stop attacking everyone. Just friendly advice that’s all.

Well it's a good thing I'm not the one calling for people to be treated based on nationality. So maybe read back so you don't look stupid although it's probably too late for you.

Na I'm good fam

• Advertisement

An updated fairy tale...

JnyaSlT.jpg

That should be posted on billboards all around town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why not just put a whites only sign on the hospital door altogether? ...

That would be a bit pointless. Last time I was IN a hospital, I thought I was back in Somalia. One person had the forename Mohamed and the other the last name was Ali. No, I am not making that up.

#IrishLivesMatter #MakeIrelandHealthyAgain #KeepCovidOut

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭gipi

More on Janet Kavanagh, the owner of E-Whizz Electric Bikes from Kilfenora in Co. Clare , who cancelled a guided cycle for two US tourists last night, after they said they hadn't isolated for two weeks.

She is making the news and I certainly hope the positive publicity will help her business thrive with Irish clients in these difficult times.

Co. Clare has had absolutely no coronavirus cases for a month now and I hope these two irresponsible Yanks will not mess it up for them.

She said in a reply to an earlier tweet that "Yes they have already stayed a night in an Airbnb in Meath and are now no doubt on their way to Doolin".

They appear to have lied on the HSE Passenger Location Form at the airport and maybe should now be worried about that offence being "punishable by a fine not exceeding €2,500 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or both"

I believe Lisdoonvarna is the Garda station covering Doolin.

Clare had a case in Friday's figures - their clear streak has gone, I'm afraid.

#IrishLivesMatter #MakeIrelandHealthyAgain #KeepCovidOut

;)

Hilarious. Will we do the same for any foreign born doctors or nurses as well? What's your great contribution to the Irish health service?

Is it wrong to want to protect our citzens no matter their colour, to keep Covid out of Ireland, I never mentioned skin colour

• Advertisement

Hilarious. Will we do the same for any foreign born doctors or nurses as well? What's your great contribution to the Irish health service?

You know rightly that that is not the intention. Get outraged at racism where racism exists. Controlling non essential travel in to the country is not, never was, and never will be racism.

#IrishLivesMatter
    Sure,sure Brazilians and Roma who got sick here have only themselves to blame.
    Call me racist but we need to put Ireland and it's citizens first, these citzens would include from Brazil and Roma if long term

I'm sorry but the silence from Coveney and Martin on incoming travel from hot spots is maddening :mad:

:rolleyes:

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You know rightly that that is not the intention. Get outraged at racism where racism exists. Controlling non essential travel in to the country is not, never was, and never will be racism.

The poster was calling for immigrants and non Nationals to get deprioritized by the health service. I'm not going to get dragged into it but that's racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

So the hse have stated the numbe of deaths from c19 have been overinflated. What's the official number?

I think letting potential virus carriers from hot spots into Ireland is doing a great disservice and disrespect to our hero front line staff

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement