Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think letting potential virus carriers from hot spots into Ireland is doing a great disservice and disrespect to our hero front line staff

You weren't on about travellers you said Brazilian people and Roma. Stop trying to weasel your way out of what you originally said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Stheno wrote: »
    If Florida were a country it would be fourth in the world today for new cases

Crazy numbers

UK are maybe doing stealth herd immunity

America are definitely doing stealth herd immunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,643 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    The poster was calling for immigrants and non Nationals to get deprioritized by the health service. I'm not going to get dragged into it but that's racist.

What I was saying was all Irish citzens including from Brazil and Roma need to be put first ahead of international incoming travel holidayers that Irish lives and health matter and if that makes me racist so be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The poster was calling for immigrants and non Nationals to get deprioritized by the health service. I'm not going to get dragged into it but that's racist.

No, be honest. You're looking for outrage. And you're dragging yourself into it.

Call me racist but we need to put Ireland and it's citizens first, these citzens would include from Brazil and Roma if long term

I'm sorry but the silence from Coveney and Martin on incoming travel from hot spots is maddening :mad:
    You weren't on about travellers you said Brazilian people and Roma. Stop trying to weasel your way out of what you originally said.

I included citzens from Roma and Brazil as Irish citzens in my post, read again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

gipi wrote: »
    Clare had a case in Friday's figures - their clear streak has gone, I'm afraid.

That is so sad...

The definition of being 'free of the virus' is 28 days without a case.

Co. Clare was the only county in the country to achieve that landmark.

All gone now :(

Our politicians are infuriating. It really doesn't feel they like they have joe public's interest at heart.

If they were serious about this they would test at the airport, then enforce real quarantine for 2 - 4 days, then test again. New Zealand can do it, Taiwan can do it, Japan can do it.. We can do IT.

If we can convince the north to adopt the same policy, as well as making masks mandatory indoors, we could be in a similar, safe situation, like Taiwan.

Ireland is in a great place right now but globally the situation is dire. Our leaders need to step up to the plate now and take some definitive action before it's too late.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Every single person I have spoken too lately is absolutely furious that Americans are allowed into our country and roam freely
    After all our efforts , after all the cancelling of weddings and funerals , after people in care homes had no visitors for months and people lost loved one this is our thanks from our Government
    Arghus wrote: »
    Hard to believe how the government is sitting on its hands, despite the clear and obvious risk posed by US tourists. Absolute madness, have they learned nothing since March? What happened to all that decisiveness. It makes a mockery of all those efforts over the last few months.

And many more in this thread of the same sentiment

Lads, I completely agree with you. I saw this coming 3 weeks ago

But us just complaining about it on an internet forum that isn't really read by anyone important in Ireland anymore (they're all on Twitter) isn't going to achieve anything

Citizen has linked to the site where you can find and email your local TD about it. Will it achieve anything? Who knows

But it has a better chance than us just giving out about it on Boards

It's still ok for us to debate it here. It's a great way for us to vent

But it needs to backed up with action too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Pentecost

That is so sad...

Come on now, this means nothing. Anyone from any other county is free to travel all over Clare spreading away. Not to mention the tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

You misread the post and then went off on one. Don't suppose you'll retract any of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

petes wrote: »
    You misread the post and then went off on one. Don't suppose you'll retract any of it?

He said Irish citizens should get priority over non Nationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hearing stories of all the young lads at house parties all over the place then all back at football training :/

He said Irish citizens should get priority over non Nationals.

When did I (she) say that?

I've quoted my post a few times now

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Boggles wrote: »
    Face masks have been compulsory in all those 4 countries for the entire summer so far.

Don't see that here. Hardly 10-15%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Renjit wrote: »
    Don't see that here. Hardly 10-15%.

That's because our public officials and governance were telling us for months that wearing a mask will definitely get you infected.

Silly Silly Rabbits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ficheall wrote: »
    I worked many summers in a tourist shop - we used to hate seeing the Americans coming in, because they talked loudly and asked questions and bought sweet eff all. Whereas the old Scots (despite their reputation) would just come in and ask for a dozen of this and half a dozen of the other, and then toddle off.
    I realise this is just one scenario, but I'm finding it difficult to call to mind any American I've met who was overly generous with their cash. I'll think on it..

Great tippers if you work behind the bar, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

What I was saying was all Irish citzens including from Brazil and Roma need to be put first ahead of international incoming travel holidayers that Irish lives and health matter and if that makes me racist so be it

Don’t bite on the straw man argument. They are clutching at straws. Most Americans coming here are affluent and white. Nothing to do with race. We are all in this **** together.

About the numbers of new cases that rose during the week and seem to be falling again, this seems to be consistent with the pattern of other countries. After the peak has passed, the numbers of daily new cases rises and falls but overall remains fairly stable at a low level. So a rise over a few days does not necessarily mean the start of a new wave. I haven't looked into this in any further detail, and there will be localised clusters, but wouldn't be surprised if Ireland starts to see a similar pattern over the coming weeks.

TyPFYet.png

So based on this we can expect a bit of a rise but this will then drop again and stay at relatively low steady levels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Stop trying to put words in people’s mouths.
    Tone down your outrage chief, you’ll only increase your blood pressure.

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    And many more in this thread of the same sentiment

Lads, I completely agree with you. I saw this coming 3 weeks ago

But us just complaining about it on an internet forum that isn't really read by anyone important in Ireland anymore (they're all on Twitter) isn't going to achieve anything

Citizen has linked to the site where you can find and email your local TD about it. Will it achieve anything? Who knows

But it has a better chance than us just giving out about it on Boards

It's still ok for us to debate it here. It's a great way for us to vent

But it needs to backed up with action too

Good point. We need to all do our best to raise awareness and push for a resolution.

I will not be voting fine fail based on this loop hole. I’ll admit I wasn’t a fan in the first place after the last crash but I’d give the benefit of the doubt given the public health crisis. You have to hit them where it hurts I’m afraid.

Do we even know if that Dublin group in the Kerry holiday home knew they were infectious? I find that hard to believe do a couple of reasons.

If they knew they were positive and truely didn’t give a **** how could that be socially acceptable given that they are travelling to a holiday home for the weekend?

If that person did test positive and went anyway then they need to be reprimanded for what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hearing stories of all the young lads at house parties all over the place then all back at football training :/

All over the news about West Cork yet they all test negative and everyone back training.

I think if I even saw Matthew McConaughney walking down the street now near me, I would run far away in the opposite direction and shout fcek back to America, alright alright alright

Even if I saw Jennifer Lopez dancing down O Connell Street like this I'd still shout "Here Jenny! Feck off back to the block!"

KuZAMQa.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Even if I saw Jennifer Lopez dancing down O Connell Street like this I'd still shout "Here Jenny! Feck off back to the block!"

KuZAMQa.gif

Christ :rolleyes:

Christ :rolleyes:

That's the spirit ;)

Can't all be doom and gloom around here

]

th?id=OIP.zVsOIF-oUkvXCU3QKnewEQHaJM&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

That is so sad...

Pentecost wrote: »
    Come on now, this means nothing. Anyone from any other county is free to travel all over Clare spreading away. Not to mention the tourists.

Well, it's a long long way from Clare to here, so I'm not too worried.

About the numbers of new cases that rose during the week and seem to be falling again, this seems to be consistent with the pattern of other countries. After the peak has passed, the numbers of daily new cases rises and falls but overall remains fairly stable at a low level. So a rise over a few days does not necessarily mean the start of a new wave. I haven't looked into this in any further detail, and there will be localised clusters, but wouldn't be surprised if Ireland starts to see a similar pattern over the coming weeks.

TyPFYet.png

I’d say you are right. I’ve never caught a flu in July so it’s probably a given. I don’t think anyone is talking about waves while we are being relatively careful.

I have caught a flu in October though. Wasn’t fun. Most viral respiratory pandemics tend to peak in winter months. US trying to flatten this curve by bringing the trough up to the peak to balance it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

So based on this we can expect a bit of a rise but this will then drop again and stay at relatively low steady levels?

Yes, if our experience is consistent with other European countries. But as been pointed out by another poster, those four countries have had more strict enforcement of mask wearing.

The main point I was making is that a rise of cases over a few days does not mean we are starting a new wave. We need to look at the pattern over a longer period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭gipi

That is so sad...

3 counties reached 30 days without a case - Clare, Sligo and Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

This is Hungary's new entry system. Very straight forward.
    mt8lfpfbcga51.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Not very good news with flu seazon coming. This study was done in 2009.

Increased Risk of Noninfluenza Respiratory Virus Infections Associated With Receipt of Inactivated Influenza Vaccine.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3404712/

The study finds that flu shots quite literally inactivate parts of the human immune system, rendering the child more vulnerable to coronavirus infections. “Being protected against influenza, trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine recipients may lack temporary non-specific immunity that protected against other respiratory viruses,” the study authors write.

The study authors explain that the influenza vaccine works to prevent influenza virus infections, but at the same time it makes children more susceptible to other respiratory infections. Since the Infection Fatality Rate (IFR) for seasonal influenza is so low (around 0.024%, which is not a typo), and the Infection Fatality Rate of covid-19 infections is at least one order of magnitude higher, it raises the obvious question:

Would it save more lives of children to avoid administering flu shots this year and therefore reduce their vulnerability to covid-19, which has a far higher fatality rate?

The study, which was conducted in 2009, observed the outcomes of 115 children aged 6 – 16 years. The study also used a placebo group and found that placebo made “no statistically significant difference” in the risk of acute respiratory infection risk.

But children who received influenza vaccines had a much higher risk of respiratory infections.

Even more shockingly, the study also found no difference in the risk of seasonal influenza infections between those children who were vaccinated vs. those who weren’t. In other words, the influenza vaccine offered no protection against the flu, but it created increased vulnerability to other respiratory infections. (No benefits, just increased risks.) “There was no statistically significant difference in the risk of confirmed seasonal influenza infection between recipients of TIV or placebo,” the study explains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE Operations report out.

Little change as has become usual over the weekends.

As of 18:30 11 in ICU with 7 ventilated. Increase of 1 in ICU.

As of 8pm 11 in general beds.

0 cases reported from hosptial labs in the last 24hrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Australia is taking a drastic approach to arrivals.. :pac:

We might have to deploy Jack Chambers yet..

https://twitter.com/toby_etc/status/1281502235856211968

https://twitter.com/MallowNews/status/1282281633622761472

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

I haven’t looked at this thread in ages.
    Too long to read and most likely discussed 187 pages ago.

But high level, Do ye reckon a second wave on the way for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Not very good news with flu seazon coming. This study was done in 2009.

115 children is hardly a great sample size - barring the number they pick up every bug going, some may just have a better immune system (the old breast milk theory)
    Where were the children picked from? All I can find is it is a Hong Kong study

edit: and it's an 8 year old report!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

obi604 wrote: »

Oh I can see this being an extremely popular question ....

8JKd.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,217 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting report from the Irish Times from Dublin Airport this morning, but according to their reporter, most of the people on board incoming US flights were Irish citizens or residents.

There seems to be a lot of hysterical commentary on Twitter about thousands of American tourists arriving.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/us-passengers-fly-into-dublin-i-m-here-for-six-days-i-guess-i-ll-have-to-stay-inside-1.4302719

Some posts from Reddit Ireland's thread today
    46255 tests were performed this week, with 134 coming up positive, giving a positivity rate of 0.3% (rounded up from 0.287%). A really encouraging stat, now if we only stop the flights from the US!!
    No new hospitalizations or ICU admissions - this shows the higher numbers are a result of good testing not just people showing up in ER sick like at the beginning of all this.

But might also be because alot of the new cases are young people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

More studies like that are needed. There may be link and given how contagious covid is it may be worth to find out. Not just children, adults or old people too. There are a lot of things which work that way - while good for something could be bad for you when combined with something else.

Whole thread about it here

I haven't read anything in there tbh. This thread and the Airport one are more or less enough to follow for now

Over 4 months in, there's only so much on this thing you can follow and still keep relatively positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Don't think anyone has actually defined what a second wave means in terms of cases but seems from past pandemics they do come in waves.

Don't think that makes it inevitable that we will experience one though and hopefully contact tracing system up and running, people continuing to work from home into Autumn/winter, banning of large gatherings like concerts and sports etc mitigates against the risk and keeps cases as low as possible.

Guess short answer nobody knows and anyone that says with full confidence either way can't know that but I'd like to think public health experts are hoping for the best while preparing for the worst. And hopefully we avoid one and continue with as few cases as possible.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Don't think anyone has actually defined what a second wave means in terms of cases but seems from past pandemics they do come in waves.

Don't think that makes it inevitable that we will experience one though and hopefully contact tracing system up and running, people continuing to work from home into Autumn/winter, banning of large gatherings like concerts and sports etc mitigates against the risk and keeps cases as low as possible.

Guess short answer nobody and anyone that says with full confidence either way can't know that but I'd like to think public health experts are hoping for the best while preparing for the worst. And hopefully we avoid one and continue with as few cases as possible.

Agree.
    I’m very wary of people who say they know anything with a large degree of confindence. It’s usually the younger type who got 500 points in their leaving who claim to know how it’s gonna go.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Agree.
    I’m very wary of people who say they know anything with a large degree of confindence. It’s usually the younger type who got 500 points in their leaving who claim to know how it’s gonna go.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_that_I_know_nothing

I particularly like:

“ The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.”

Drumpot wrote: »
    I particularly like:

“ The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.”

Not sure what to make of that

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

More good news ...
    https://youtu.be/Qg927g0HLjs?t=1118

New type of Pneumonia in Kazhastan , not Covid 19 but worse death rate ... I mean WHAT THE F*CKKKKKK!!

Great to see people dancing. Full disclosure. I’ve a good friend who lives in a massively affected state who happened to get infected.

He is in a pub now in said state.

I really respect this guy and he is genuinely on the ball about most things.

I think if I had of contracted it I’d be screaming from the rafters to get back to normal.

Unfortunately I don’t know the dynamics of this thing so might be best to err on side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Nobody knows. Time travel is not a thing yet.

More good news ...

New type of Pneumonia in Kazhastan , not Covid 19 but worse death rate ... I mean WHAT THE F*CKKKKKK!!

Ohh Mr Fearmongerer himself - already debunked as coronavirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

More good news ...

Hmm an outbreak of a mysterious pneumonia in Kazakhstan and nowhere else in the world, in the middle of a once in a lifetime global pandemic, with Kazakhstan having had relatively few deaths from that pandemic. How strange....

No surprise that particular "doctor" picked up on it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There's literally a thread on the first page of the forum entitled "Second Wave". Did it not occur to you to click on that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement