Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Strazdas wrote: »
    Interesting report from the Irish Times from Dublin Airport this morning, but according to their reporter, most of the people on board incoming US flights were Irish citizens or residents.

There seems to be a lot of hysterical commentary on Twitter about thousands of American tourists arriving.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/us-passengers-fly-into-dublin-i-m-here-for-six-days-i-guess-i-ll-have-to-stay-inside-1.4302719

I’m not really bothered what nationality they are, tbh - American or Irish, they need to quarantine upon arrival here from the US. There was an earlier post of someone whose friend met an Irish person in town last night who’d just returned from Florida who was already in his 4th pub of the evening and had no intention of quarantining.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Eod100 wrote: »
    Don't think anyone has actually defined what a second wave means in terms of cases but seems from past pandemics they do come in waves.

Don't think that makes it inevitable that we will experience one though and hopefully contact tracing system up and running, people continuing to work from home into Autumn/winter, banning of large gatherings like concerts and sports etc mitigates against the risk and keeps cases as low as possible.

Guess short answer nobody knows and anyone that says with full confidence either way can't know that but I'd like to think public health experts are hoping for the best while preparing for the worst. And hopefully we avoid one and continue with as few cases as possible.

We have suppressed the first wave but its not gone. So if numbers just rose higher and higher when everything opens wouldn't that just be a continuation of the first wave.

Does it have to mutate to be a 2nd wave? I'm thinking out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

More good news ...
    https://youtu.be/Qg927g0HLjs?t=1118

New type of Pneumonia in Kazhastan , not Covid 19 but worse death rate ... I mean WHAT THE F*CKKKKKK!!

The "Doctor" indeed. I was watching his stuff early on in this, but abandoned soon after. He has a problem for every solution

This comment on that vid got my eye though
    Stay out of air conditioned public spaces.

I thought cramped places with no ventilation was what this thing loved?

It can't be both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Air conditioning isn’t ideal for this. Systems vary enormously but most recirculate a large % or the air and also move it around the room.

So effectively you’re not getting fresh air, you’re getting chilled and dehumidified recirculating air, with some fresh added.

They would need very effective HEPA filtration to remove virus particles, but many don’t do this and in big spaces air con tends to just blow stuff around.

Outdoor spaces or spaces with open to the air, natural ventilation or very high fresh air replenishment are better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The hop on hop off bus is doing the rounds in Galway with tourists on board, I can't understand how tourists from the UK are banned yet there are loads of flights landing daily at our airports from the the UK

My friends a transport manager for a coach company based in Dublin and he himself has been driving bus loads of Americans up and down the length of the country for weeks now as they have drivers refusing to do the work because the company won't put in screens like Dublin Bus have for their employees as an example.

The yanks are still coming

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I thought cramped places with no ventilation was what this thing loved?

It can't be both

Re-circulation by ac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,217 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I’m not really bothered what nationality they are, tbh - American or Irish, they need to quarantine upon arrival here from the US. There was an earlier post of someone whose friend met an Irish person in town last night who’d just returned from Florida who was already in his 4th pub of the evening and had no intention of quarantining.

I've no problem with much stricter rules for US arrivals (and Brazil etc).

I'd be a bit sceptical though of claims that there are thousands of American tourists in the country at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've no problem with much stricter rules for US arrivals (and Brazil etc).

I'd be a bit sceptical though of claims that there are thousands of American tourists in the country at the moment.

There are literally millions at this point

fritzelly wrote: »
    There are literally millions at this point

And yet surprisingly few photos......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

And yet surprisingly few photos......

Surprisingly enough, they're extremely hard to identify in photographs, unless wearing MAGA hats and carrying those giant hands with #1 on them and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Breaking news: the vast majority of the Irish population are currently bunkering down due to fears of encountering large humanoid type creatures with fanny packs, baseball caps and hideous sunglasses. Back to you Bob with the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭GerryFog

I think everyone should be contacting their local TD.

This nonsense has to stop. I personally witnessed it yesterday. Got off the Luas at Stephens Green and noticed a group of Americans outside that hotel across the road who were loudly planning for the day ahead.

They had definitely just arrived and were definitely not self quarantining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like airlines and tour operators will be asked to inform tourists about 14 day self isolation. Should have been happening from the start and nowhere near enough . https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/quarantine-process-to-be-tightened-as-health-officials-grow-nervous-1.4302821

Looks like airlines and tour operators will be asked to inform tourists about 14 day self isolation. Should have been happening from the start and nowhere near enough . https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/quarantine-process-to-be-tightened-as-health-officials-grow-nervous-1.4302821

Have to laugh though the headline says measures to be tightened but there's really nothing new at all. Anyone coming in already knows what's in place, airlines or tour operators telling them probably wont make much difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

What do we want? People in this country have died for this declaration.
    It's nothing to do with race. It's everything to do with where you are coming from and how your gov is dealing with this once in a century situation.
    I don't think that we are giving our citizens our rights based on current policy. I don't feel secure based on fact people can come and go during pandemic.
    we have a right "they are endowed with reason and conscience and should act toward each other in the spirit of community"
    Article 3:

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and the security of person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Disgraceful that we have this under control in Ireland yet plane loads of Americans flying in every day ...

What do we want? People in this country have died for this declaration.
    It's nothing to do with race. It's everything to do with where you are coming from and how your gov is dealing with this once in a century situation.

Let me just take a knee and whip myself for being white ....

I'm not racist !! I'm not racist !! - promise!!

Have to laugh though the headline says measures to be tightened but there's really nothing new at all. Anyone coming in already knows what's in place, airlines or tour operators telling them probably wont make much difference

Ah yeah it's feck all. Government need to tighten up here, this is next to useless

So DB drivers anyway stuck to the union line this morning and no enforcement of masks. Little change from last week for what I can see so far

• Advertisement

Let me just take a knee and whip myself for being white ....

I'm not racist !! I'm not racist !! - promise!!

Luckily we have this under control in Ireland. So I won't be taking a knee thanks.
    Probably due to the fact we've been emigrating for thousands of years.
    Kinda hypocritical to point at Johnny Foreigner when your kid is Australia because there aren't any zero hour contracts left. Although you should defo look at
    why that is.
    Why is it there is not enough work for everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Great to see people dancing. Full disclosure. I’ve a good friend who lives in a massively affected state who happened to get infected.

He is in a pub now in said state.

I really respect this guy and he is genuinely on the ball about most things.

I think if I had of contracted it I’d be screaming from the rafters to get back to normal.

Unfortunately I don’t know the dynamics of this thing so might be best to err on side of caution.

https://twitter.com/jilli09/status/1282389059810230272?s=21

Brilliant !

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Brilliant !

Sorry I deleted that video as it's from a lady who is suffering from cystic fibrosis so really not relevant. Didn't realise that.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    We have suppressed the first wave but its not gone. So if numbers just rose higher and higher when everything opens wouldn't that just be a continuation of the first wave.

Does it have to mutate to be a 2nd wave? I'm thinking out loud.

Don't think so . Would think it doesn't mean a mutation or different infection but the same one which was down to a low level , surging and gaining momentum .
    What is the best way to describe it ....oh yes, like a wave in the sea gathering momentum ! Oh ..right ....

Sorry I deleted that video as it's from a lady who is suffering from cystic fibrosis so really not relevant. Didn't realise that.

Ah , it was a good video , bright start to the day ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

More good news ...
    https://youtu.be/Qg927g0HLjs?t=1118

New type of Pneumonia in Kazhastan , not Covid 19 but worse death rate ... I mean WHAT THE F*CKKKKKK!!

Has our global temperature hit a virus sweet spot?

Luckily we have this under control in Ireland. So I won't be taking a knee thanks.
    Probably due to the fact we've been emigrating for thousands of years.
    Kinda hypocritical to point at Johnny Foreigner when your kid is Australia because there aren't any zero hour contracts left. Although you should defo look at
    why that is.
    Why is it there is not enough work for everyone?

What the f*ck are you talking about ?
    I'm pointing at Johnny Foreigner ? what ??

What the f*ck are you talking about ?
    I'm pointing at Johnny Foreigner ? what ??

YeahnI think it's easy to be swept up in arguments of peoples rights etc. Why don't we have the right to go to US but people there can come here? Not mentioning the fact that it's an absolute ****e show there.

What's the equivalent of Johnny Foreigner in Spain? Might want to look it up.

Air conditioning isn’t ideal for this. Systems vary enormously but most recirculate a large % or the air and also move it around the room.

So effectively you’re not getting fresh air, you’re getting chilled and dehumidified recirculating air, with some fresh added.

They would need very effective HEPA filtration to remove virus particles, but many don’t do this and in big spaces air con tends to just blow stuff around.

Outdoor spaces or spaces with open to the air, natural ventilation or very high fresh air replenishment are better.

Some feel that the HEPA filtration on planes is good enough to filter everything .
    I don't think so . Only larger particles and droplets , not viruses.
    And only some planes have the state of the art filtration system .
    Don't know for sure but would imagine your average bucket flight on a cheap airline would not have the best system .
    Might be worth checking before you fly .

• Advertisement

Some feel that the HEPA filtration on planes is good enough to filter everything .
    Don't know for sure but would imagine your average bucket flight on a cheap airline would not have the best system .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

https://t.co/b5NpPfJ8No

Interesting but not a surprise. In Ireland we counted all deaths, in all settings, suspected cases even when no lab test was done, and included people with underlying terminal illnesses who died with Covid but not of it.

Just catching up on this now. They are admitting the numbers we're massively overinflated yet the country is still trembling in fear.

So DB drivers anyway stuck to the union line this morning and no enforcement of masks. Little change from last week for what I can see so far

Looks like Garda are saying its transport operators. Why government didn't sit down with union and broker this I don't know. https://www.thejournal.ie/face-covering-mandatory-5148348-Jul2020/?utm_source=twitter_short

Looks like Garda are saying its transport operators. Why government didn't sit down with union and broker this I don't know. https://www.thejournal.ie/face-covering-mandatory-5148348-Jul2020/?utm_source=twitter_short

Yup, email went to Gardai at 7:30 last night informing of the legislation for today and they've basically gone back saying it's not their job to police public transport bye laws in the first instance.

So you've got legislation with nobody willing to enforce it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Onesea wrote: »
    https://t.co/b5NpPfJ8No

Interesting but not a surprise. In Ireland we counted all deaths, in all settings, suspected cases even when no lab test was done, and included people with underlying terminal illnesses who died with Covid but not of it.

Just catching up on this now. They are admitting the numbers we're massively overinflated yet the country is still trembling in fear.

If your trembling in fear, Id advise stepping away from the computer for a while :-)

So, according to that article, in 2 months we had 1,200 people die ABOVE (in excess) of what we would normally expect to die in that timeframe.

600 people a month died MORE than would normally be expected to die.

And there was no school, no cars on the roads, no work accidents.

That should be taken seriously.

A previous poster made a great point before. No-one actually dies of AIDS. they die due to complications brought on by the virus weakening their immune system, and leaving them open to other vulnerabilities.

That said, Im reading a lot about T-cells and their role in fighting COVID19 and Id be quite hopeful about our innate ability to fight SARSCOV2 and perhaps get a milder version of the disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    If your trembling in fear, Id advise stepping away from the computer for a while :-)

So, according to that article, in 2 months we had 1,200 people die ABOVE (in excess) of what we would normally expect to die in that timeframe.

600 people a month died MORE than would normally be expected to die.

And there was no school, no cars on the roads, no work accidents.

That should be taken seriously.

A previous poster made a great point before. No-one actually dies of AIDS. they die due to complications brought on by the virus weakening their immune system, and leaving them open to other vulnerabilities.

That said, Im reading a lot about T-cells and their role in fighting COVID19 and Id be quite hopeful about our innate ability to fight SARSCOV2 and perhaps get a milder version of the disease.

No cars on road and workplaces accidents don’t have a massive impact on figures overall. Approx 90 people in Ireland die every day, and car/workplace accidents are relatively rare. In normal non-covid times, every road death will make the news. If they were as frequent as death from illness and natural causes, they wouldn’t. Not saying it won’t impact the figures at all, but they’re a very small percentage overall when looking at numbers in the thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

The fear monger Brugha is on 96fm there now spouting some amount of crap. Wants all
    Pubs closed again!!

We are going to have eradicate this. Can we just get on with it so we can get back to normal.
    People who have recovered from Covid-19 may lose their immunity to the disease within months, according to research suggesting the virus could reinfect people year after year, like common colds.

In the first longitudinal study of its kind, scientists analysed the immune response of more than 90 patients and healthcare workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS foundation trust and found levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus peaked about three weeks after the onset of symptoms then swiftly declined.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/12/immunity-to-covid-19-could-be-lost-in-months-uk-study-suggests

Surprising how few people actually knew this

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1282604718850744325?s=19

Surprising how few people actually knew this

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1282604718850744325?s=19

Is anyone even enforcing that? If someone lied and said they were in the one place for 14 days and were travelling around the country then surely they should be fined. Even with powers of enforcement nothing seems to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Finland removed travel restrictions to 17 new European countries today, including Ireland. Intrestingly Czechia didn't make the list, because of the recent "surge" in cases. The criteria for making it on to the "green" list is less than 8 cases per 100,000 people. The obvious problem with this kind of criteria is that data from some countries wouldn't be the most reliable, for example China is on the green list as they generally report almost zero cases.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finland_reopens_borders_with_28_countries/11445419

2020_13_07_travel_restrictions_lifted.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Goldengirl wrote: »

I thought viruses travel in droplets??

This is quite comprehensive. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/EASA-ECDC_COVID-19_Operational-guidelines-for-management-of-passengers-issue-2.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We are going to have eradicate this. Can we just get on with it so we can get back to normal.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/12/immunity-to-covid-19-could-be-lost-in-months-uk-study-suggests

Eradication is not possible, suppressing the virus is all we an do and manage cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

garbage form the press again. all these studies are prelimenary results, it takes several months to get a peer reviewed paper accepted and published. ive stopped taking any notice of what the press reports because it could be the exact opposite by a different group of researchers next week.

Is anyone even enforcing that? If someone lied and said they were in the one place for 14 days and were travelling around the country then surely they should be fined. Even with powers of enforcement nothing seems to happen

The reality is that most people arriving in an Irish airport either live here or are staying with family who live here. They are not travelling around the country and quite a few are actually restricting movement in accordance with the guidelines.

Fining tourists who are travelling around the country will not be easy. I would rather that we haver clear unambiguous rules based on risk rather than the current situation whereby Irish based people are being guilted/discouraged not to travel to relatively safe countries while people can arrive here from high risk jurisdictions (although numbers are low).

Eradication is not possible, suppressing the virus is all we an do and manage cases.

Well economically speaking.
    When you have to impose rolling lockdowns to prevent economic damage year after year there comes a point that governments need to look beyond the immediate election horizon.

It makes sense I'm afraid.

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/08-05-2020-commemorating-smallpox-eradication-a-legacy-of-hope-for-covid-19-and-other-diseases

The declaration marked the end of a disease that had plagued humanity for at least 3 000 years, killing 300 million people in the 20th century alone.

It was ended, thanks to a 10-year global effort, spearheaded by the World Health Organization, that involved thousands of health workers around the world to administer half a billion vaccinations to stamp out smallpox.

The US$ 300m price-tag to eradicate smallpox saves the world well over US$ 1 billion every year since 1980.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Interesting report from the Irish Times from Dublin Airport this morning, but according to their reporter, most of the people on board incoming US flights were Irish citizens or residents.

There seems to be a lot of hysterical commentary on Twitter about thousands of American tourists arriving.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/us-passengers-fly-into-dublin-i-m-here-for-six-days-i-guess-i-ll-have-to-stay-inside-1.4302719

Haven't you watched any zombie movies? It only takes one. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

New Zealand was so close to it. It was imported cases that brought it back into their country.

So yes eradication is possible.

New Zealand was so close to it. It was imported cases that brought it back into their country.

So yes eradication is possible.

Correct but we will need to:

a) Build a wall between Ireland and Northern Ireland.
    b) Ban all passenger flights and ferries.
    c) Ban repatriation of Irish citizens into Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Northern Ireland is also doing good. We need to work together in the fight of this.

We don't need to ban flights and ferries or ban Irish coming back. We need mandatory quarantine for people coming into the country, none of this self-isolation sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Imposing mandatory quarantine or just telling Americans to f*ck off would be a good first step.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement