Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Americans scouring their family tree for sick relatives to visit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

fritzelly wrote: »
    Where are all theses people getting reinfected?

Probably America at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I have seen zero reports of this tbh

Rhetorical question to stupid statement

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Probably America at the moment.

No as in where are the reports of it?

These plethora of accounts of cases.

*hint* its not actually happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah, I've never been reinfected. by a Coronavirus. I had a cold in 1992, been corona free since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My point was that if the rest of world still doesn't have a handle on it, it's unlikely they did. And presenting wild conspiracy theories as fact doesn't help any point you're trying to make.

As for the topic at hand, some countries outside China were acting in January. The ones with prior experience of these epidemics. The West knew but thought it was better than everyone else.

You think a study of the virus from a noted Virus researcher equates with a 'conspiracy theory'?

He's not the only one; Professor Fang Chi-tai from the Institute of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, National Taiwan University, basically said the same thing about the unusal structure and properties of the virus.

Personally I wouldn't characterise such people as uninformed, ill educated, conspiracy theorists.
    China’s government engaged in an “assault on international transparency” to the “endangerment of other countries,” concludes a report by the Five Eyes intelligence consortium of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United States.

In other words, it’s not just the Trump administration making that case, as much of the US media would have you believe: It’s the intelligence pros of this country and some of its closest allies, some of them led by left-of-center politicians.

Australia’s Telegraph got the 15-page document detailing Beijing’s deliberate suppression of evidence, including: “disap­pearing” doctors and scientists who tried to sound the alarm; destroying proof at genomic-studies labs; and “bleaching of wildlife market stalls.” It also notes the regime’s “deadly denial of human-to-human trans­mission” when it knew the disease was spreading between people.

And China’s still stonewalling: It’s denying repeated international requests for a live virus sample from the first coronavirus cases. That would help researchers working on a vaccine — and maybe shed light on where and how the virus originated. Nor will it let in foreign experts to examine those origins.

Want more? An investigation by Canada’s Global News found that China secretly told embassies around the world to buy all personal protective equipment possible — in mid-January, when it knew the virus would likely go global.

The regime used diplomats, state-owned companies and Chinese émigrés to purchase N95 masks and other gear to ship “back batches of scarce supplies for the motherland.” About 100 tons shipped out of Canada alone — leaving that country with limited supplies when the pandemic hit.

That investigation backs up this week’s US Department of Homeland Security intel­ligence finding that China “inten­tionally concealed the severity” of its coronavirus crisis in January so it could stock up on medical supplies from abroad — which it also lied about, covering up trade data.
    https://nypost.com/2020/05/06/finally-the-world-is-catching-on-to-chinas-coronavirus-lies/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Obvious so so obvious....yawn.

Tourism not the best idea during pandemic. No matter how much revenue airbnb doesn't generate.

Get the excuses in now lads or just deal with the reality. Here's a list of excuses I've made earlier for your convenience.

• How could we have known?
    • It's just a local outbreak
    • it's just a flu bro

As many as 140,000 residents in Lleida, in Segrià, have been ordered to stay in their homes and only leave for food or essential work. Officials have banned eat-in restaurants, weddings and meetings of more than 10 people as part of the new lockdown measures. The town is located 100miles west from Barcelona.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1308592/Spain-coronavirus-latest-news-lockdown-second-wave-COVID-19-Barcelona-Lleida-Segri

What exactly is your proposed alternative? The entirety of Spain opened, 1 relatively small city has been locked down again, that's exactly how this is going to work going forward. Would you rather the hospitality sector for the whole of Spain remained close during this entire period? Spain cannot afford that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There have been three million cases reported in the last two weeks, according to Worldometer..

That is, out of 13 million cases, 3 million have occurred in the last two weeks! It is back to out of control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Transport companies reporting very high compliance

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1282657744118591488?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Irish rail seems to be high enough, DB most certainly is not high.

Go ahead also seem to not be enforcing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Cynic in me wonders if they get inspectors to go on a few services and if 90% is highest figure say they use that to represent overall compliance on services

AdamD wrote: »
    What exactly is your proposed alternative? The entirety of Spain opened, 1 relatively small city has been locked down again, that's exactly how this is going to work going forward. Would you rather the hospitality sector for the whole of Spain remained close during this entire period? Spain cannot afford that.

Woah chief. I've enough to deal with as it is. Solving pandemics is just a pastime for me.

You could call it hurling from the ditch or a ditch hurler. no hablo espanol.

Where are all these people getting reinfected?
    big syke wrote: »
    No as in where are the reports of it?

These plethora of accounts of cases.

*hint* its not actually happening.

Newbies! :rolleyes:
    People can get the coronavirus more than once, experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune

On Wednesday, Japanese authorities reported the first confirmed case of reinfection. A tour guide in Osaka first tested positive for the coronavirus in late January, then was discharged from the hospital three weeks ago after showing signs of recovery. But she returned to the hospital after developing a sore throat and chest pain and tested positive for the coronavirus once again.

Zhan Qingyuan, director of pneumonia prevention and treatment at the China-Japan Friendship Hospital, warned last month that this could happen.

“For those patients who have been cured, there is a likelihood of a relapse,” Zhan said in a briefing on January 31. “The antibody will be generated; however, in certain individuals, the antibody cannot last that long.”

Reinfections among patients in China have been reported as well.
    https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/24915/20200227/japan-confirms-first-case-of-reinfection.htm
    How Worried Should We Be about Reinfection or Reactivation of the Virus?
    New reports from South Korea, indicating that the country has 74 patients who retested positive after appearing to beat the virus, indicate that building up “herd immunity” might be a longer and more difficult process than we thought: “‘The ratio of patients retesting positive is very small even if we were to see more cases. . . .It is important to examine the virus and check for infectivity in these cases,’ said Kwon Joon-wook, deputy director of the KCDC, in a daily virus status briefing earlier in the week.”

Are these just cases where someone falsely tests negative — perhaps more than once? — and a subsequent test shows an accurate positive result? The Korean CDC is characterizing these cases as “reactiviation” of the virus, not re-infection. The body fights off the virus for a while, at a sufficient level to make the virus seem dormant, and then the immune system stops fighting it as effectively, causing a second flare-up.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/how-worried-should-we-be-about-reinfection-or-reactivation-of-the-virus/
    Coronavirus Reinfection: Texas Woman Tests Positive For COVID-19 Twice
    Jun 18, 2020
    Meredith McKee shared via her Facebook account on how she got infected with COVID-19 for the second time in 12 weeks. She was initially diagnosed with the coronavirus in February and managed to defeat it while at home. After she was found to be positive for the strain, she donated her plasma twice to help fight the dreaded coronavirus. She found herself dealing with the virus again after her blood pressure spiked last Friday.

"For the SECOND time in 12 weeks, I have contracted Covid19. Yes, you can get it again & it hit me like a ton of bricks...again. I’m here to tell you this is NOT over, it is very real & nothing to be flippant about," according to her post on Facebook.

"There are so many unknowns & the CDC cannot tell whether the virus was dormant all this time or if it was a new contraction. It is very different this time but no less horrendous. Plenty of tears & hurting. People, PLEASE take this seriously. ***I should add that I went to the hospital because my BP was 216/147 & I knew there was a serious problem. I had NO signs or symptoms otherwise."

In an interview with KXAS, McKee revealed how she dealt with dry cough that was pretty hard to bear. Though she contracted the virus for a second time, an epidemiologist from UT Southwestern claimed that getting the virus for a second time is rare but possible. It would be best to note that the expert is not connected to the case of McKee.
    https://www.medicaldaily.com/covid-19-coronavirus-meredith-mckee-texas-novel-coronavirus-updates-reports-454109
    Apr. 29 2020
    Risk of Coronavirus Reinfection Remains After Recovery
    Study of endemic coronaviruses finds reinfections with the same coronavirus are not uncommon, provides useful reference for understanding repeat infection risk with SARS-CoV-2

New research by Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health experts finds that reinfections with endemic coronaviruses are not uncommon, even within a year of prior infection. The study on the four endemic coronaviruses—not including SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19—found that when reinfection occurred, it was not associated with less severe symptoms. Instead, genetic factors may be a greater determinant of the severity of an infection. Individuals who were asymptomatic during their first infection did not experience symptoms during subsequent infections, and members of the same family reported similar symptom severity.

While the characteristics of immunity in COVID-19 survivors are still unknown, the immune response to the endemic coronaviruses studied (229E, OC43, NL63, and HKU1) could provide a useful reference for understanding the risk of repeat infection with SARS-CoV-2. Infections with the four endemic coronaviruses studied are common in the general population and usually produce mild or asymptomatic illness. Study results are published on the Columbia webpage of senior author Jeffrey Shaman, PhD, professor of environmental health sciences. The paper is currently under peer review.
    https://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/public-health-now/news/risk-coronavirus-reinfection-remains-after-recovery
    Some governments have suggested that the detection of antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, could serve as the basis for an “immunity passport” or “risk-free certificate” that would enable individuals to travel or to return to work assuming that they are protected against re-infection. There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from COVID-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection.
    https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19

Yes, I know that one isn't showing a case for reinfection, but they likely have some basis behind the scenes for making such a statement.
    To make matters even worse, a new layer of complexity has just been announced by Chinese authorities: a group of patients that had recovered from the virus tested positive again in follow-up controls.

A report by the health authority in China’s Guangdong province, the country’s most populated province with 113 million people, said that 14% of the patients that had recovered from the coronavirus showed new signs of it in later check-ups.
    https://www.zmescience.com/science/a-startling-number-of-coronavirus-patients-get-reinfected/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What's more likely:

A handful of people out of millions who caught Covid got reinfected

or

A handful of Covid tests out of millions were wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There's zero proof of reinfections, it'd be all over the news if there was.

Complete non-story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Like already said no reinfections, a couple of people who likely never fully recovered and relapsed after treatment stopped if even infected in either instance

cnocbui wrote: »
    Newbies! :rolleyes:

Wow - "Newbies". Grow up.

The Japanese cases were from Feb when little was known and it was proven not true.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/can-one-be-reinfected-no-evidence-yet-say-experts/story-7opoQHzOx5Px6fSyfpoFuO.html

https://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/news/no-chance-reinfection-1922161

See i can link stuff too

What are you doing here? You should be on RTE frightening the nation as another expert.

You should be on an alter placating them . :D

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    What's more likely:

A handful of people out of millions who caught Covid got reinfected

or

A handful of Covid tests out of millions were wrong

Shhhh stop making sense.

There's some scaremongering to be done.

We are such Newbies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/face-coverings-confusion-over-enforcement-of-new-public-transport-rules-1.4303166?mode=amp

So after all the media hype at the end of last week, the face coverings on public transport aren't actually being enforced.

I suppose this is the impact of rushing through a piece of legislation based on a mood at the time without fully appreciating what it would actually mean and how it would be implemented.

If anyone was doubtful there was a media narrative to fear monger, since I posted this the headline has been changed to "High compliance with rule making face coverings mandatory on public transport" from a headline that said something like "no responsibility for Gardai or bus unions to enforce face coverings". The old headline could've given the impression that nothing will happen if you don't wear a face mask on public transport which can't be allowed to happen!

What are you doing here? You should be on RTE frightening the nation as another expert.

What, tell the country that everyone who could potentially die from this virus, likely will? The Irish don't like hard unpalatable news or information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Where are all these people getting reinfected?

Yeah, it's been over half a year since the thing started, so there would be lots of people getting reinfected, if it was something that was commonplace.

Northern Ireland: weekend update
    1 additional death
    16 new cases
    1 case in ICU

These are 72hr figures as NI no longer does weekend updates

• Advertisement

What a mess. I think I'll stick with costa del irlanda. Should manage to save some money on sun cream. Every cloud and all......

Catalan chief calls on outbreak area residents to stay home after judge rejects lockdown

BARCELONA/LLEIDA (Reuters) - The leader of the Spanish region of Catalonia called on residents of an area that has seen a surge in coronavirus cases to stay at home, despite a ruling by a judge who threw out a mandatory lockdown order for the district of 160,000 people.

Spain, which has been one of the European countries worst affected by the coronavirus, lifted nationwide confinement last month, when the pandemic seemed to have come under control.

But with dozens of new clusters, local authorities across Spain are scrambling to take new measures either to lock down small areas or make it mandatory to wear a mask in public.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1282623316998717441?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I keep hearing government ministers say that self isolation or quarantine is legally unenforceable in Ireland.

Surely it is their job to change the law and make it enforceable !

They passed a law in 2 days at the start of this pandemic with the Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020.

It gives powers for "...certain medical officers of health to order, in certain circumstances, the detention of persons who are suspected to be potential sources of infection with the disease known as Covid-19 and to provide for enforcement measures in that regard..."

They could tweak The Health Act, 1947 again, which states that if a person "...is a probable source of infection with an infectious disease and that his isolation is necessary as a safeguard against the spread of infection..."

Where there is a will there is a way... and the first duty of a democratic state should be to protect the life and health of it's citizens. If the 'medical officers of health' are unable or unwilling to isolate people, then get someone else to do it.

Stop hiding behind the coat tails of the legal profession and get off your collective arses and pass the necessary effing law... the virus will not wait to exploit every weakness it can find in our defenses.

And travelers from Covid-19 hot spots ignoring our self isolation rules are a glaringly obvious danger to us all.

Apparently nursing home in Mallow, Cork has been locked down due to a cluster identified in the mass testing. Not sure if it’s true.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

This virus is such a mystery, until I get it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I keep hearing government ministers say that self isolation or quarantine is legally unenforceable in Ireland.

They passed a law in 2 days at the start of this pandemic with the Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020.

It gives powers for "...certain medical officers of health to order, in certain circumstances, the detention of persons who are suspected to be potential sources of infection with the disease known as Covid-19 and to provide for enforcement measures in that regard..."

They could tweak The Health Act, 1947 again, which states that if a person "...is a probable source of infection with an infectious disease and that his isolation is necessary as a safeguard against the spread of infection..."

Where there is a will there is a way... and the first duty of a democratic state should be to protect the life and health of it's citizens. If the 'medical officers of health' are unable or unwilling to isolate people, then get someone else to do it.

Stop hiding behind the coat tails of the legal profession and get off your collective arses and pass the necessary effing law... the virus will not wait to exploit every weakness it can find in our defenses.

And travelers from Covid-19 hot spots ignoring our self isolation rules are a glaringly obvious danger to us all.

It's impossible to take any government guidance to those already in Ireland seriously when the big risk from travel is not being managed at all. Mandatory face masks, social distancing in shops, bars etc. completely arbitrary and pointless to try to get people to follow while the borders are entirely ignored. The only thing I think of is that the risk from the virus has been assessed as against the effort and cost required to implement proper enforcement at borders and it has been determined to be worth taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Apparently nursing home in Mallow, Cork has been locked down due to a cluster identified in the mass testing. Not sure if it’s true.

There was this reported the other day but not Mallow
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/covid-19-visits-suspended-at-cork-nursing-home-1010301.html

Must be a new one so, only heard this in the last hour

They're hiding behind Attorney General's advice which gives them political cover. As you say they're the legislators, nothing stopping them from making and implementing law. Can't see any political opposition within Oireachtas so if there was political will from government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The kids are alright!
    Very few of 2,000 schoolchildren and teachers tested in the German state of Saxony showed antibodies to Covid-19, a study has found, suggesting schools may not play as big a role in spreading the virus as some had feared.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/13/german-study-covid-19-infection-rate-schools-saxony

It's impossible to take any government guidance to those already in Ireland seriously when the big risk from travel is not being managed at all. Mandatory face masks, social distancing in shops, bars etc. completely arbitrary and pointless to try to get people to follow while the borders are entirely ignored. The only thing I think of is that the risk from the virus has been assessed as against the effort and cost required to implement proper enforcement at borders and it has been determined to be worth taking.

Agreed.

I wonder if they have really factored in 'the cost and effort' that a second (even partial) lockdown would produce, if we are unfortunate enough to follow the trajectory the virus had in Victoria, Australia.

We seem to be playing russian roulette with the virus. there is a fair chance that the international travelers from hot spots do not have the virus.

But is it really a chance worth taking ?

Agreed.

I wonder if they have really factored in 'the cost and effort' that a second (even partial) lockdown would produce, if we are unfortunate enough to follow the trajectory the virus had in Victoria, Australia.

We seem to be playing russian roulette with the virus. there is a fair chance that the international travelers from hot spots do not have the virus.

But is it really a chance worth taking ?
    We'd be fine just as long as those protecting the detainees/quarantees don't think that poking them is part of the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This is a novel approach - llama antibodies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53369103

Eamonn Ryan saying the numbers are low coming from US. Wouldn't that make mandatory quarantine from high risk countrues easier to implement in that case?

Doesn't HSE still have access to Citywest? Could use that or rent hotelsat Dublin airport.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/coveney-tourists-ireland-holiday-1045313?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1594652526

Latest testing data (48hrs)

Tests conducted in last 48 hours: 14,842
    Tests conducted in last 7 days: 49,106
    Positive tests in last 48 hours: 33
    Positivity rate last 7 days: 0.3%

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

I'd heard about that before be very interesting if they make progress

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Indeed but very early days.

Based on positive tests in last 48 hours (33) and the number of confirmed cases yesterday (17), I'm hoping we have a low number today, possibly less than 16.

Based on positive tests in last 48 hours (33) and the number of confirmed cases yesterday (17), I'm hoping we have a low number today, possibly less than 16.
    Ah, but Monday ...

World Health organization press briefing live

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ah, but Monday ...
    Don't jinx me :D

World Health organization press briefing live

Seems like it's all about ebola today

Great to see positivity rate stay stable. Thanks for all the updates btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/galway-restauranteur-implements-policy-for-future-international-bookings/

This throws a very bad light on our government how they can't lead during this pandemic with public health and safety of the population at the very core during this time.

A Galway business man had to introduce a new policy into his restaurants for the booking system and if the booking is for international visitors.

It's very poor form from the government. Useless shower of pr1cks in government and they are only there a few weeks.

Labour TD on RTE Drivetime now suggesting ban of flights from US until mandatory testing at airport. Seems daft. Mandatory quarantine is needed not testing on arrival and banning flights not realistic.

• Advertisement

Fair play for Zara King raising this point. Fairly clearly mooting Ireland as escape to the country destination. This is fvcking dumb. We are approaching UK levels of incompetence on this.

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1282586591953813504?s=20

https://twitter.com/GoToIreland/status/1282586868152967168?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement