Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Eod100 wrote: »
    Labour TD on RTE Drivetime now suggesting ban of flights from US until mandatory testing at airport. Seems daft. Mandatory quarantine is needed not testing on arrival and banning flights not realistic.

Why is banning flights not realistic?

Trump banned European flights as Europe was a hotspot.

America is a hotspot now.

Absolute bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Absolute bonkers.

Thousands of Irish emigrants live in US, so if their parent or sibling dies, it's tough luck you can't come home? If you say make it only Irish citizens or Irish residents it might be a bit more practical but still can't see that happening.

Thousands of Irish emigrants live in US, so if their parent or sibling dies, it's tough luck you can't come home? If you say make it only Irish citizens or Irish residents it might be a bit more practical but still can't see that happening.

Isn't that what happend to us all here when the virus was high here?

People couldn't attend funerals.

America is out of control.

I see no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Italian Doctors are warning that COVID-19 is not just a respiratory disease but a killer affecting the whole body.
    The long-term effects of COVID-19, even on people who suffered a mild infection, could be far worse than was originally anticipated, according to researchers and doctors in northern Italy.

Psychosis, insomnia, kidney disease, spinal infections, strokes, chronic tiredness and mobility issues are being identified in former coronavirus patients in Lombardy, the worst-affected region in the country.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-warning-from-italy-effects-of-covid-19-could-be-worse-than-first-thought-12027348

For anyone who has had Covid-19 even as a mild infection. You should read this as a warning from the doctors in Italy immediately if you have recovered from the virus yourself or if you have had other family members or friends suffering from it & recovering from it in the past.

• Advertisement

Isn't that what happend to us all here when the virus was high here?

People couldn't attend funerals.

America is out of control.

I see no difference.

I think mandatory quarantine would deter a lot of people from coming if it's not for non-essential travel.

If it's you have to stay in say Citywest for 14 days, unless for hardship exceptions like travelling for funeral or to visit terminally ill relative (once you have negative test) then numbers would drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Absolute bonkers.

Trump didn't ban flights, he banned entry for EU citizens on non essential trips.
    If you look back there were still flights everyday from Italy even at the height of things there.
    That said I see no reason why we can't ban US citizens from entry for the time being.

dloob wrote: »
    Trump didn't ban flights, he banned entry for EU citizens on non essential trips.
    If you look back there were still flights everyday from Italy even at the height of things there.
    That said I see no reason why we can't ban US citizens from entry for the time being.

Agree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I don't see any issue with flights arriving, they carry cargo and are vital for business etc. The issue is the quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Based on positive tests in last 48 hours (33) and the number of confirmed cases yesterday (17), I'm hoping we have a low number today, possibly less than 16.

Even still to do near 15,000 tests and pick up 33 cases is an excellent return. Keeps positivity really low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Seems like it's all about ebola today

Apologies for posting it just towards the end of the press briefing.

But if you move the red slider to the beginning you can see the whole press conference from the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

For anyone who has had Covid-19 even as a mild infection. You should read this as a warning from the doctors in Italy immediately if you have recovered from the virus yourself or if you have had other family members or friends suffering from it & recovering from it in the past.

A warning to do what? Curl up in a ball and start living a life of fear? It warns me alright. To ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Just ban US tourists like every other country has? If you need to come back as a citizen allow them with quarantine.

The US rightly did it very early from other countries. We should do the same. Let European tourists in as they are lower risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Italian Doctors are warning that COVID-19 is not just a respiratory disease but a killer affecting the whole body.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-warning-from-italy-effects-of-covid-19-could-be-worse-than-first-thought-12027348

This should be sent to every TD in the country as well. We need total eradication of this virus. We need to ban flights from the US and other hot spots, mandatory quarantine of incoming passengers, and whatever else that needs doing.

We had low cases a few weeks ago, we needed things to be done at the start of all this, not figure things out along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Florida: 15000+ new cases but only 45 deaths.

45 deaths in a population of 22 million. The current low death rates in these states is what is gonna drive America into the ground.

Pretty easy to know the times planes are landing in Dublin from America....imagine if drones started shutting **** down...hmmmmm

Just ban US tourists like every other country has? If you need to come back as a citizen allow them with quarantine.

The US rightly did it very early from other countries. We should do the same. Let European tourists in as they are lower risk.

That's a fairly massive difference from banning all flights though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Eamonn Ryan saying the numbers are low coming from US. Wouldn't that make mandatory quarantine from high risk countrues easier to implement in that case?

Doesn't HSE still have access to Citywest? Could use that or rent hotelsat Dublin airport.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/coveney-tourists-ireland-holiday-1045313?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1594652526

Exactly, and even less would travel if quarantine was mandatory. It’s absolutely possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Had reason to travel on a bus today - must say of the buses I saw it looked like everyone was wearing a mask - driver of the bus I was on refused two, to be very disgruntled, passengers

On the mask - dunno how anyone can walk around wearing them constantly - very uncomfortable breathing with them. Doesn't help being clammy as well and glasses steaming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Florida: 15000+ new cases but only 45 deaths.

45 deaths in a population of 22 million. The current low death rates in these states is what is gonna drive America into the ground.

Pretty easy to know the times planes are landing in Dublin from America....imagine if drones started shutting **** down...hmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yeah I watched some of the video right up to where the masked doctor said 'we still don't know the effects'. Interesting how the headline and the content seems at odds.
    Considering the news available todate the majority do make a full recovery prehaps not what some would like to read but that's fact at present.

• Advertisement

Coveney: 'Tourists Should Not Be Coming To Ireland Right Now'
    That's the statement from the Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney

It comes after worries about US tourists coming to Ireland and spreading COVID-19.

Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney and Transport Minister Eamon Ryan have said there will be stricter measures in place - but haven't provided the full detail
    http://www.redfm.ie/news/coronavirus/tourists-should-not-be-coming-to-ireland-right-now/

fritzelly wrote: »
    Had reason to travel on a bus today - must say of the buses I saw it looked like everyone was wearing a mask - driver of the bus I was on refused two, to be very disgruntled, passengers

On the mask - dunno how anyone can walk around wearing them constantly - very uncomfortable breathing with them. Doesn't help being clammy as well and glasses steaming up

I've got used to wearing the for short stretches. They're not too bad but not great when it's warm. But they do get easier to wear over time. I don't envy the healthcare workers who have to wear them for 8/12 hour shifts day in day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

This is such a fcuk of a thing. I know people will start the usual guff about how some love doom, and stories like these should not be posted and what are ya gonna do? Live under a rock etc etc and that some are wetting themselves about how bad things could be etc, all of which is bullsh1t, as none of us want this absolute fcuk of a thing in our midst. None of us.
    I have been seeing stories recently about long term effects of even so-called mild doses. I think it is just hard for people to accept or even contemplate that this new cause of very unpleasant morbidity is here with us now. And there is really feck all we can do about it. We actually cannot go around forever in masks or socially distancing. This is our new TB or Polio. It is horrible that this is true. Damn this thing.

Coveney: 'Tourists Should Not Be Coming To Ireland Right Now'

http://www.redfm.ie/news/coronavirus/tourists-should-not-be-coming-to-ireland-right-now/

He needs to get a few billboards out in US and UK saying the same.. I'm joking but maybe get Embassies to reinforce measures and make media appearances.

Something along the lines of an ad from Failte Ireland ''we'd love to see you after this is all over'' etc etc. This isn't personal, it's just risk management. There could be planeloads of them next summer hopefully all going well

Seems to be post Cabinet briefing on RTE Now at the moment. Coveney there so be interesting to see if he get asked questions about travel and quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭dalyboy

He needs to get a few billboards out in US and UK saying the same.. I'm joking but maybe get Embassies to reinforce measures and make media appearances.

Something along the lines of an ad from Failte Ireland ''we'd love to see you after this is all over'' etc etc. This isn't personal, it's just risk management. There could be planeloads of them next summer hopefully all going well

What’s going to change “next summer” ? This virus is here for the foreseeable future (3-10 years) and a vaccine is still a fantasy.

dalyboy wrote: »
    What’s going to change “next summer” ? This virus is here for the foreseeable future (3-10 years) and a vaccine is still a fantasy.

That's why I said hopefully tbf. That US has it under control by then or vaccine but likely to be 2022 at the very earliest if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

JJayoo wrote:

Will you give it a rest with that ****e

dalyboy wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/jul/13/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker-how-close-are-we-to-a-vaccine

Is it Doctor or Professor Dalyboy?

• Advertisement

The mask legislation is in place until 5th October unless removed before then.

Plenty time for the NTA, the government, unions and Gardai to sit down and iron out all the details

Conveney says government is considering new protocols in airports including moving forms online, call centre being established to follow up. Not much there, again.

Simon Coveney saying ''people shouldn't be coming here unless they can restrict their movements for 14 days.''

''Considering measures to improve communication, protocols, move passenger form online. Have a call centre for follow on calls.''

Same as usual so. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭dalyboy

You can call me doctor if that’s a kink you have thanks. 😀

Vaccines normally require years of testing and additional time to produce at scale, but scientists are hoping to develop a coronavirus vaccine within 12 to 18 months.
    Vaccines mimic the virus – or part of the virus – they protect against, stimulating the immune system to develop antibodies. They must follow higher safety standards than other drugs because they are given to millions of healthy people.

Bolded parts back my points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Simon Coveney saying ''people shouldn't be coming here unless they can restrict their movements for 14 days.''

''Considering measures to improve communication, protocols, move passenger form online. Have a call centre for follow on calls.''

Same as usual so. :rolleyes:

People shouldn't be coming here... Yet, they're still coming here.

A call centre isn't going to do much, anyone can answer their phone in the pub.

Conveney says government is considering new protocols in airports including moving forms online, call centre being established to follow up. Not much there, again.

Yup nothing new really.

They've been told by the AG that they can't do mandatory quarantine.

Its quite simple, implement the same list of countries that are allowed and those that aren't allowed as is in place in Europe. Just get in line with Schengen.

Flights continue but if your an American flying from America you won't be allowed into the country simple as that. All others on flights coming from the states, Europeans and Irish citizens have the 2 week self isolation as is in place now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gruffalox wrote: »
    This is such a fcuk of a thing. I know people will start the usual guff about how some love doom, and stories like these should not be posted and what are ya gonna do? Live under a rock etc etc and that some are wetting themselves about how bad things could be etc, all of which is bullsh1t, as none of us want this absolute fcuk of a thing in our midst. None of us.
    I have been seeing stories recently about long term effects of even so-called mild doses. I think it is just hard for people to accept or even contemplate that this new cause of very unpleasant morbidity is here with us now. And there is really feck all we can do about it. We actually cannot go around forever in masks or socially distancing. This is our new TB or Polio. It is horrible that this is true. Damn this thing.

On a positive note, i know at least 12 people who have had it. My cousin( who has type 1 diabetes ) and her husband. Also a woman i know that’s 78. They all made full recoveries with not even a hint of feeling unwell post recovery of their disease.

My cousin with diabetes had the worst symptoms, loss of taste, smell, even vomiting. Totally recovered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Mystery famous journalist with supposedly five decades of experience takes on the formidable Sarah McInerney, with her view that she should be the exception to the two-week quarantine rule, because when she says she'll talk at a festival in Roscommon she is ALWAYS true to her word.

Just the absolute height of entitlement.

People shouldn't be coming here... Yet, they're still coming here.

A call centre isn't going to do much, anyone can answer their phone in the pub.

Exactly. ''Are you in X''? ''Yes'' ''Grand so, thanks''

Unless they have to provide physical landline or local Gardai checking on accommodation it's not workable

Singing sweet nothings.

• Advertisement

Yup nothing new really.

They've been told by the AG that they can't do mandatory quarantine.

Its quite simple, implement the same list of countries that are allowed and those that aren't allowed as is in place in Europe. Just get in line with Schengen.

Flights continue but if your an American flying from America you won't be allowed into the country simple as that. All others on flights coming from the states, Europeans and Irish citizens have the 2 week self isolation as is in place now.

Only exception would be US people for essential travel but would agree definitely

One thing this whole thing has proven is we don't have enough Gardai. If we did then we'd have a public transport unit and a unit who can check compliance.

Only exception would be US people for essential travel but would agree definitely

Yeah sorry forgot to add that in. Same policy as the EU Schengen area, its fairly simple

"If you're lying to us you're breaking the law" - Coveney

Then arrest the Americans? Practice what you preach Simon.

Yeah sorry forgot to add that in. Same policy as the EU Schengen area, its fairly simple

That makes line about being more restrictive than EU rubbish. Not sure why journalists don't press him on that. ''Why can't Ireland do what EU is doing?'' . Simple as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

EU doesnt have a quarentine for other EU contries, anywhere, including Schengen.

only our own made up one for now.

A call centre is our best idea. Jesus Christ.

That makes line about being more restrictive than EU rubbish. Not sure why journalists don't press him on that. ''Why can't Ireland do what EU is doing?'' . Simple as

They've been hiding behind the CTA whenever asked previously

copeyhagen wrote: »
    EU doesnt have a quarentine for other EU contries, anywhere, including Schengen.

only our own made up one for now.

Yes I know that. That's my point, go in line with the EU policy of allowing travel within the EU. Same policy also bans Americans on non essential trips

A call centre is our best idea. Jesus Christ.

Oh but there's an online form sure.. :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement