Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Interesting that Dr. Glynn says there are other considerations for government beside public health about mandatory quarantine. Reading between the lines sounds like measure NPHET would support

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Travel cases from:
    Afghanistan, Bangladesh, France, Germany, India, Iraq, Malaysia, Pakistan, Portugal, Qatar, Sudan, Sweden, Ukraine, UAE, US.

Not exactly all tourist countries with direct flights. Afghanistan and Iraq bloody hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not exactly all tourist countries with direct flights. Afghanistan and Iraq bloody hell.
    Sudan is the most surprising one for me tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,216 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Eod100 wrote: »
    Presumably green list would mean countries would be excluded if high risk but not sure how it works

Green list would mean travel between Ireland and those places would be absolutely fine in both directions and no need for anyone to quarantine.

Everyone else though would be considered as 'not welcome' in the country.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Pubs ain’t going to be opening next week

for what reason ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Interesting that Dr. Glynn says there are other considerations for government beside public health about mandatory quarantine. Reading between the lines sounds like measure NPHET would support
    but have they officially advised it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why is banning flights not realistic?

Trump banned European flights as Europe was a hotspot.

America is a hotspot now.

Absolute bonkers.

So how did that ban work out for the US?

Yes, absolute bonkers

pretty short press conference today

but have they officially advised it?

Not that I'm aware

The Journal asking for info on whether the people coming here are Irish or not

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Dr. Glynn a bit ropier than Tony Holohan today in the press conference today.

I've forgotten her name but I don't think the HSE doctor is great either. Would think HSE would make sure they had latest info for press conference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

ongarite wrote: »
    With the small amount of people in ICU and in hospitals with COVID, to have >30% of cases come from health care workers points to complacency or poor hygiene standards IMO.

Healthcare includes nursing homes and residential care. They are being tested, so cases are being found. Occupation may be irrelevant other than it's one getting particular attention with testing. If we tested the same number of electricians or teachers we may find just as many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,551 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully they 7 men who jumped out of the truck that arrived in Rosslare this morning self isolate for 14 days.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0713/1153042-wicklow-search-trailer/

Hopefully they 7 men who jumped out of the truck that arrived in Rosslare this morning self isolate for 14 days.

they would have broken laws, should have been stopped, drivers needs to check more.

Americans coming in are allowed to come in without any legal leverage to stop them.

I like the ''Gardaí are investigating possible immigration offences'' line. Possible eh?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ongarite wrote: »
    healthcare workers +8 is crazy at this stage.
    50% of cases if I'm reading the numbers right.
    They are testing care home staff regularly now. They, too, are healthcare workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

cnocbui wrote: »
    So how did that ban work out for the US?

Yes, absolute bonkers

Banning flights only works if other measures are adhered to. If the virus is already there and no other measures are adhered to it will be a ****show like the US.

But of course you already know this.

Just watching the briefing there, Dr Glynn isn’t too sure just because of the last 5 days. No consideration to the previous 5 weeks.
    The last 5 days will be used to decide if next Monday can go ahead. Holohan constantly referred to current numbers in their decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

NPHET has been officially recommending legal travel restrictions for weeks.

Letter from Tony Holohan to Simon Harris reported on 27 June:

'In order to ensure the credibility of [travel corridors], it will be necessary to put in place legal restrictions regarding travel from countries which do not qualify for such arrangements, as is the approach taken by other EU member states.

In this regard, the NPHET recalls with urgency its prior recommendations on the need for legal restrictions to be put in place in regard to overseas travel.'

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tony-holohan-overseas-travel-is-a-major-covid-19-threat-1.4290551

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »
    Banning flights only works if other measures are adhered to. If the virus is already there and no other measures are adhered to it will be a ****show like the US.

But of course you already know this.
    The US has managed to mess up all on their own. The rest of us stayed at home and and did what we were told. They closed too late and opened up again far too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The country's heroin supply has to come from somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How do you know?

NPHET has been officially recommending legal travel restrictions for weeks.

Letter from Tony Holohan to Simon Harris reported on 27 June:

'In order to ensure the credibility of [travel corridors], it will be necessary to put in place legal restrictions regarding travel from countries which do not qualify for such arrangements, as is the approach taken by other EU member states.

In this regard, the NPHET recalls with urgency its prior recommendations on the need for legal restrictions to be put in place in regard to overseas travel.'

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tony-holohan-overseas-travel-is-a-major-covid-19-threat-1.4290551
    An interesting reminder to people that NPHET never actually ran the country. Their recommendations largely coincided with government thinking for much of this.
    The travel question is a whole lot more complicated than bare public health advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭GerryFog

Sudan is the most surprising one for me tbh

There is a lot of Irish working in oil out in Sudan.

What are you doing here? You should be on RTE frightening the nation as another expert.
    AdamD wrote: »
    What's more likely:

A handful of people out of millions who caught Covid got reinfected

or

A handful of Covid tests out of millions were wrong
    El Sueño wrote: »
    There's zero proof of reinfections, it'd be all over the news if there was.

Complete non-story
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Like already said no reinfections, a couple of people who likely never fully recovered and relapsed after treatment stopped if even infected in either instance
    big syke wrote: »
    Wow - "Newbies". Grow up.

The Japanese cases were from Feb when little was known and it was proven not true.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/can-one-be-reinfected-no-evidence-yet-say-experts/story-7opoQHzOx5Px6fSyfpoFuO.html

https://www.thedailystar.net/frontpage/news/no-chance-reinfection-1922161

See i can link stuff too
    big syke wrote: »
    Shhhh stop making sense.

There's some scaremongering to be done.

We are such Newbies

Just in; just for you:
    Recovered Covid-19 patients only develop 14% immunity against a second infection with coronavirus, suggests antibody study that warns 'a vaccine is urgently needed'
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0995-0
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8517531/Recovered-Covid-19-patients-develop-14-immunity-study-claims.html

• Advertisement

GerryFog wrote: »
    There is a lot of Irish working in oil out in Sudan.
    Oh I know yeah, I've a cousin who's just back from Iraq.

The Daily Mail.... Jesus Christ.

Nature, Jesus Christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

branie2 wrote: »
    Great to have no deaths again

** Morgan Freeman's narration voice **

"The year is 2022 and Brainie 2 has been made permanently redundant on Boards.ie

I’m so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things"

EubC.gif

(But seriously; I get a little smile on my face every time I hear zero mortalities reports on the news. Hopefully the public sentiment re: the airports gets through to these spineless gobshítes and we keep cases this low)

cnocbui wrote: »
    Nature, Jesus Christ
    The Nature article says absolutely nothing about re-infection? It refers to the techniques some vaccines may use to produce antibodies.
    Overall, although patients who recovered from COVID-19 displayed multiple hallmarks of effective immune recognition of S, the wide spectrum of neutralizing activity observed suggests that vaccines might require strategies to selectively target the most potent neutralizing epitopes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Turkmenistan recommends their citizens wear a mask because of "dust", and they also introduce 1-metre social distancing without saying why. According to the government they have no coronavirus cases, never ever.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/turkmenistan-orders-mask-wearing-to-combat-dust-1.5022101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Polar101 wrote: »
    Turkmenistan recommends their citizens wear a mask because of "dust", and they also introduce 1-metre social distancing without saying why. According to the government they have no coronavirus cases, never ever.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/turkmenistan-orders-mask-wearing-to-combat-dust-1.5022101

That pesky dust eh?

That pesky dust eh?

Probably this dust:
    As WHO Team Arrives, Notable Pneumonia Deaths Reported in Turkmenistan

An adviser to the Turkmen president and a Turkish diplomat have reportedly died from pneumonia this week.
    https://thediplomat.com/2020/07/as-who-team-arrives-notable-pneumonia-deaths-reported-in-turkmenistan/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

The Daily Mail.... Jesus Christ.
    Can't help thinking of this wherever a Daily Mail story is linked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI&t=33s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

JJayoo wrote: »
    Florida: 15000+ new cases but only 45 deaths.

45 deaths in a population of 22 million. The current low death rates in these states is what is gonna drive America into the ground.

Pretty easy to know the times planes are landing in Dublin from America....imagine if drones started shutting **** down...hmmmmm

Is it though?

Because all we care about is hospitalisation and death rates. If nobody got real badly sick and nobody died we wouldnt care how many got this virus.
    Thats what has me wondering about all these record new cases reports every day. You never hear how many died. Must be pretty low then.
    If people stop dying from it its just a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

for what reason ?

Whatever about different people having different views, what is the point of throwing out blanket statements with no context or reason. What are they actually trying to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

I wonder will Germany be on the safe list. I would like to go home to Ireland to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Whatever about different people having different views, what is the point of throwing out blanket statements with no context or reason. What are they actually trying to achieve?

I’m just going by the rhetoric over the past few days. It’s not positive and I fear for the thousands of jobs that will be lost, it’s not about me or anyone going for a pint. It’s about how they treat the publicans as if they’re children and want these workers to basically stay on the PUP payment. It make absolutely no sense to keep most of our hospitality sector closed. I’m sure the majority of irish people won’t go abroad on holidays and will have a staycation like my family. I want this country to get back to some sort of normality.
    Our current government have been shocking from the offset on all issues not just Covid. They need to give those family businesses a chance.

• Advertisement

petes wrote: »
    Which has nothing to do with reinfection. Are your posts purposely obtuse?

'Second infection' is equivalent to saying reinfection. I think your question would be more apt if directed at your own post.

I would have expected guidelines to have been out sooner, the ones for pubs with food were out 7/10 days beforehand but then again those guidelines will give fair idea what measures will be like just without food.

I think the pubs will reopen but not sure is it deliberate that they're being held back or just not ready. Have heard anecdotally of a few pubs saying they're going to wait until 27th at earliest as don't think they've enough time to implement whatever measures are released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Is it though?

Because all we care about is hospitalisation and death rates. If nobody got real badly sick and nobody died we wouldnt care how many got this virus.
    Thats what has me wondering about all these record new cases reports every day. You never hear how many died. Must be pretty low then.

As icu beds become full and new cases keep trying to get into icu for treatment that’s when death rates start dramatically climbing. There is obviously a period of time from admission into the hospital to admission into icu if that’s is what’s required.
    So we’ve seen the first part with large admissions in the USA. Unfortunately I would imagine death rates will start to climb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Would anyone else be of the opinion that lower death numbers could be down to the changing demographic of the cases?

These cases are less likely to require hospitalisation or be seriously ill from the virus.

I’m just going by the rhetoric over the past few days. It’s not positive and I fear for the thousands of jobs that will be lost, it’s not about me or anyone going for a pint. It’s about how they treat the publicans as if they’re children and want these workers to basically stay on the PUP payment. It make absolutely no sense to keep most of our hospitality sector closed. I’m sure the majority of irish people won’t go abroad on holidays and will have a staycation like my family. I want this country to get back to some sort of normality.
    Our current government have been shocking from the offset on all issues not just Covid. They need to give those family businesses a chance.

Its been said time and time again when we've been looking to move to every stage, theres never any committal and its always been we'll see how this week goes. Glynn said nothing different that Tony did by being completely non committal. Only difference was leo used to say he was confident, Martin says nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That pesky dust eh?
    Marjorie Dawes said you can have as much dust as you like!

Un1corn wrote: »
    I wonder will Germany be on the safe list. I would like to go home to Ireland to visit.

I would think so. Hopefully it is

Its been said time and time again when we've been looking to move to every stage, theres never any committal and its always been we'll see how this week goes. Glynn said nothing different that Tony did by being completely non committal. Only difference was leo used to say he was confident, Martin says nothing.

I guess only slight difference is that guidelines for pubs with food were out sooner to give them a chance on the hope/expectation they would open.

But maybe they're waiting to last minute to release to decide. Fairly short turnaround between now and Monday though.

Polar101 wrote: »

That is some level of government bulls**t. Imagine Leo or M Martin coming out with something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Is it though?

Holy **** imagine if Trump is secretly a genius and his 99% of cases are fine comment is true after all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement