Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This would also seem to contradict the idea that government wouldn't be able to source enough hotel rooms to enforce mandatory quarantine.

https://twitter.com/PaulGall186/status/1282733951300362240

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    I guess only slight difference is that guidelines for pubs with food were out sooner to give them a chance on the hope/expectation they would open.

But maybe they're waiting to last minute to release to decide. Fairly short turnaround between now and Monday though.

To be honest I'm not sure why there's such outcry for guidelines. They know they'll have to have vastly the same as current pubs minus the food requirement. The signage, distance and hygiene measures aren't going to change.

Can still get alot of prep work done

To be honest I'm not sure why there's such outcry for guidelines. They know they'll have to have vastly the same as current pubs minus the food requirement. The signage, distance and hygiene measures aren't going to change

I guess it's uncertainty/nerves for pubs who haven't opened yet. It could well be that but you'd think with the other guidelines made out it would be fairly simple to copy and paste and edit the other document and have it good to go by now

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

That is some level of government bulls**t. Imagine Leo or M Martin coming out with something like that.

Yeah you would have to wonder do citizens in these regressive dictatorships believe this ****. Looking at China, North Korea, Turkmenistan, Russia Kazakhstan. Surely the people know the truth even with the censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

thelad95 wrote: »
    Would anyone else be of the opinion that lower death numbers could be down to the changing demographic of the cases?

These cases are less likely to require hospitalisation or be seriously ill from the virus.

Or lockdown was sucessful?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Un1corn wrote: »
    Yeah you would have to wonder do citizens in these regressive dictatorships believe this ****. Looking at China, North Korea, Turkmenistan, Russia Kazakhstan. Surely the people know the truth even with the censorship.

If fairness a poster linked an article here highlighting an unknown flu in Kazakhstan they themselves thought it was something unconnected to Covid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

This would also seem to contradict the idea that government wouldn't be able to source enough hotel rooms to enforce mandatory quarantine.

https://twitter.com/PaulGall186/status/1282733951300362240

I always liked holidaying in Ireland. But not this year, not if I'm sharing a hotel with Americans.

We done so much the past few months, and to throw away all our hard work by inviting Americans in. I'm not putting myself at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I would think so. Hopefully it is

If Germany is not on the green list there is no point in having a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Another Irish business that deserves our support, Croi Restaurant, 14 Prince’s Street, Tralee.

"Two groups of US diners were turned away from the Croi Restaurant in the historic Princes Street quarter of Tralee after admitting they had not quarantined. They were drop-in diners who came to the door, chef Noel Keane said.

The refusals took place on Wednesday and Friday of last week."

Fair dues to them... doing the government's job at a cost to their own business.

I wish hotels, hostels and guesthouses would do the same - a night out in the rain might convince them to go back to the address where they are supposed to be isolating.

How much more evidence does the government need that voluntary self isolation is just not working ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Facebook comments never fail to make me laugh.

519802.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

cnocbui wrote: »
    'Second infection' is equivalent to saying reinfection. I think your question would be more apt if directed at your own post.

No, you posted articles from February, anything more recent? The latter part of your post is more obtuse and irrelevant as ever.

Any chance you'd post actual links with actual relevance?

Your posts are nothing short of you trying to come across as 'i know better' and they aren't very becoming.

How about drop the narcissism and tell us how you really feel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Facebook comments never fail to make me laugh.

519802.jpeg

First time the universe has ever seen the correct spelling of "through" and "their" by a Karen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another Irish business that deserves our support, Croi Restaurant, 14 Prince’s Street, Tralee.

"Two groups of US diners were turned away from the Croi Restaurant in the historic Princes Street quarter of Tralee after admitting they had not quarantined. They were drop-in diners who came to the door, chef Noel Keane said.

Fair dues to them... doing the government's job at a cost to their own business.

I wish hotels, hostels and guesthouses would do the same - a night out in the rain might convince them to go back to the address where they are supposed to be isolating.

How much more evidence does the government need that voluntary self isolation is just not working ?
    a man in the other group said the Covid-19 pandemic was “over-hyped,”

Says it all really - ban US visitors now - apart from the ones who won't quarantine we also have the ones who think it's nothing more than a cold

Pathophysiology, Transmission, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

An up to date comprehensive review of the current state of knowledge, as recommended by Dr Mike Ryan in today's WHO press briefing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Here's what enforcement looks like. No point having a rule if you can't enforce it. Businesses shouldn't have to confront people just as much bus drivers shouldn't be responsible for enforcing the mask rule. It's not their job. It is the governments though.

They should prove that they have two weeks accommodation booked and paid for or a letter from a family member stating quarantine will be observed. Any break and the person or the relative will be fined heavily.

Could have done this but we advertise via hashtag. Great craic altogether.
    A group of six Victorians fined $24,000 after police busted them trying to cross the Queensland border against coronavirus restrictions were told they might have the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

fritzelly wrote: »
    Says it all really - ban US visitors now - apart from the ones who won't quarantine we also have the ones who think it's nothing more than a cold

On the other hand a f**l and his money are soon parted, so maybe let some of the second type in. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Holy **** imagine if Trump is secretly a genius and his 99% of cases are fine comment is true after all.

I'm not saying that it is. I'm saying if it was.

Also while he is a clumsy dope not everything he says is untrue. He has been right with some of his stuff. In any case I'm sure he has advisers which aren't all idiots.

Our government has failed us in so many ways. Back in March, it was pubs closing themselves before St Patrick's Day. It was small towns cancelling their parades and four months later we have businesses stepping up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Is it though?

Because all we care about is hospitalisation and death rates. If nobody got real badly sick and nobody died we wouldnt care how many got this virus.
    Thats what has me wondering about all these record new cases reports every day. You never hear how many died. Must be pretty low then.
    If people stop dying from it its just a cold.

I mean that the low death rate can be used to dimiss the virus and any preventive measures such as wearing masks.

The Whitehouse/Trump are also using the low death rate as a sign that they have the virus under control and that the country needs to reopen.

Today the Whitehouse are attacking Fauci because he hasn't been going along with this narrative.

BBC News - Coronavirus: White House targets US disease chief Dr Anthony Fauci
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53392817

I'm not saying that it is. If saying if it was.

Also while he is a clumsy dope not everything he says is untrue. He has been right with some of his stuff. In any case I'm sure he has advisers which aren't all idiots.

A broken clock is right twice a day

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    BBC News - Coronavirus: White House targets US disease chief Dr Anthony Fauci
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53392817

Navarro - says it all really
    He was the one saying everyone is getting an injection to stop you catching it (prior to a press conference) over a month ago (among other ludicrous claims of his)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

A broken clock is right twice a day

A pearl of wisdom thats neither here nor there. Someone was dismissing something I said because it 'sounded like Trump'. I said it doesn't and in any case he is not always wrong.

Why are we talking about Trump now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I'm not saying that it is. I'm saying if it was.

Oh I know what you're saying I'm just taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768351

The first major study of patient health after recovery has been released. It is based in Italy, 44% of participants in the study report diminished quality of life and chronic illness 60 days after onset of symptoms.

Though is it important to note that the study only includes those hospitalised with the virus , and of course this group experienced much worse illness than the majority of infected people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Apparently nursing home in Mallow, Cork has been locked down due to a cluster identified in the mass testing. Not sure if it’s true.

I heard Macroom Home also lockdown

bb1234567 wrote: »

The first major study of patient health after recovery has been released. It is based in Italy, 44% of participants in the study report diminished quality of life and chronic illness 60 days after onset of symptoms.

Though is it important to note that the study only includes those hospitalised with the virus , and of course this group experienced much worse illness than the majority of infected people.

Put any older person in a bed for a few weeks and their quality of life will deminish drastically, a loss of mobility is a killer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

We will probably start to see lots of more studies like this.

For context in this country, approximately 13% of those who tested positive were in Hospital per the government covid data hub (3,330 hospital admissions from 25,638 positive cases).

I know someone who wasn't hospitalised and they have had over a 100 days of symptoms. Hospitalised or not it's not a nice virus to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Put any older person in a bed for a few weeks and their quality of life will deminish drastically, a loss of mobility is a killer

Yes I'm sure there are other factors to it and I certainly wouldn't say that the percentage of patients found to experience long term effects could necessarily be extrapolated to other groups not represented in the study obviously but it is interesting research nonetheless.

Some posters voiced concerns about long term illness post recovery and their concerns were dismissed based on other posters anecdontal accounts of people they knew who had recovered fully and the fact that no studies such as the above had been released yet. So the research does validate those concerns to some extent for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Face coverings to be mandatory in UK shops from July 24. I think it's a question of when not if for us now.

HSE Daily Operations Update
    14 in hospital, increase of 3.
    3 confirmed cases in hospital last 24 hours, 2 in Mater and 1 in Letterkenny.

10 in ICU, decrease of 1.
    No deaths last 24 hours.
    5 ventilations, decrease of 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

HSE Daily Operations Update
    14 in hospital, increase of 3.
    3 confirmed cases in hospital last 24 hours, 2 in Mater and 1 in Letterkenny.

10 in ICU, decrease of 1.
    No deaths last 24 hours.
    5 ventilations, decrease of 2.

If it is mostly the invulnerable young getting it, than why the admissions to hospital?

If it is mostly the invulnerable young getting it, than why the admissions to hospital?
    You'd expect a few to need hospital for oxygen etc.

Arghus wrote: »
    Face coverings to be mandatory in UK shops from July 24. I think it's a question of when not if for us now.

There was a time when we were more proactive than the UK - now not so...

My first time in to Dublin city center since the lockdown today - lots of shop staff wearing masks or shields and screens up
    Even tho I found it really uncomfortable wearing one today (found myself not getting enough oxygen - wearing a cloth mask) the gesture should be reciprocal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

cnocbui wrote: »

No evidence of reinfections in those articles. My post said that there's zero proof of reinfections and it'd be all over the news if there was.

If you could point me to actual evidence of reinfections I'd be interested to see it ☺️

El Sueño wrote: »
    No evidence of reinfections in those articles. My post said that there's zero proof of reinfections and it'd be all over the news if there was.

If you could point me to actual evidence of reinfections I'd be interested to see it ☺️

Don't bother engaging

Possibly. The line seems to be in places where people can't social distance but often can't tell until it's too late so nearly better off wearing before going somewhere indoors with other people to be safe.

Might see it for going to cinema, gigs etc

Possibly. The line seems to be in places where people can't social distance but often can't tell until it's too late so nearly better off wearing before going somewhere indoors with other people to be safe.

Might see it for going to cinema, gigs etc

I felt that there was an inevitably to them eventually making coverings mandatory, but I think the UK deciding on it is going to make it more of a hot topic and there'll be greater emphasis now to do it. If even they are doing it, you'd wonder about our approach.

Maybe they'll have a graduated response, but I think it gets needlessly complicated that way, you may as well just make it a requirement for indoors across the board IMO.

As for gigs. I reckon it'll be a good long while before we see them again in anything approaching normal form, masks or no.

I emailed all my TDs. Sinn Fein are the only ones who responded. No response from the Taoiseach, Minister for Public Expenditure and Minister for Foreign Affairs who are supposed to be “my representatives”.

[img][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=519724&d=1594637667

Thank you for your email to the Taoiseach.

As you can appreciate, we are currently experiencing a very large increase in the volume of emails received into this Office due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We appreciate your understanding.

You may wish to be aware that the latest information in relation to Covid-19 may be obtained at https://www2.hse.ie/coronavirus/ or call 1850-241850.

Go raibh maith agat as ucht do ríomhphost chuig an Taoiseach.

Mar a thuigfidh tú, tá líon mór ríomhphoist ag teacht isteach chuig an Oifig de bharr an paindéim Covid-19. Go raibh maith agat as ucht a bheith tuisceanach.

Mar eolas duit is féidir an t-eolas is déanaí maidir le Covid-19 a fháil ar https://www2.hse.ie/coronavirus/ nó gloagh ar 1850-241850.

(I really do not know what I was expecting back :o)

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Thank you for your email to the Taoiseach.

Simon Harris personally responded to people especially kids - MM prefers to ramble in the few interviews he's done, Donnelly is a specialist in not answering questions (probably from his independent times when they didn't know what they wanted)

Really should have left Harris in the same position after dealing with this for the past 5/6 months

I felt that there was an inevitably to them eventually making coverings mandatory, but I think the UK deciding on it is going to make it more of a hot topic and there'll be greater emphasis now to do it. If even they are doing it, you'd wonder about our approach.

Maybe they'll have a graduated response, but I think it gets needlessly complicated that way, you may as well just make it a requirement for indoors across the board IMO.

As for gigs. I reckon it'll be a good long while before we see them again in anything approaching normal form, masks or no.

Yeah think makes sense to do it soon while focus on public transport too as an additional measure.

There's social distanced gigs starting to come back but yeah can't see a normal of gigs for a while, lot of speculation about autumn 2021.

Simon Harris personally responded to people especially kids - MM prefers to ramble in the few interviews he's done, Donnelly is a specialist in not answering questions (probably from his independent times when they didn't know what they wanted)

Really should have left Harris in the same position after dealing with this for the past 5/6 months

Should I do a drawing for MM :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Should I do a drawing for MM :p

I dread to think what it would be :D

Yeah think makes sense to do it soon while focus on public transport too as an additional measure.

There's social distanced gigs starting to come back but yeah can't see a normal of gigs for a while, lot of speculation about autumn 2021.

Whole lot of speculation, but I look at all of that as basically aspirational really. There's not a single person in the world who has a clue what things will be like in three months, six months, a year. Would be great if things are back to normal, but you'd wonder. Big indoor and outdoor gatherings - things will have to change a lot.

I've read a lot on here about people railing against restrictions and lockdown - "we have to live with this virus". Well, they could soon be finding out what that means in reality.

Living with the virus probably means no lockdowns, but masks, limits on numbers and a certain amount of normal behaviours and things we took for granted being off the menu, possibly for a long time. People are in for a land over the next few weeks and months I think.

Governor Cuomo of New York discussed what is needed for the schools to reopen, the quarantine regime in NY and aimed several delicious broadsides at that lying toxic bloated orange oaf in the White House, at today's press conference.

He really does not want anyone from infected states to set foot in New York, we should do likewise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-warning-from-italy-effects-of-covid-19-could-be-worse-than-first-thought-12027348

Off the foot of the Italian study (posted here this evening) and more research from the UK, it seems that the inflammatory conditions stemming from the infection are manifesting themselves in patients. These can be much more serious than the respiratory infection typically seen in mildly symptomatic patients.

People who had mild to moderate illness are having difficulty walking, developing kidney issues, insomnia and other illness months after infection.

For anyone who is interested, I have attached an AMA done this evening with neuropsychiatrist Dr Tim Nicholson, where sufferers of neurological issues ask questions about the long-term symptoms they've been experiencing. These include brain fog, muscle tingling/burning, fatigue, Guillain-Barré syndrome (a rare neurological disorder in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks part of its peripheral nervous system), anxiety and shooting sensations in the brain.

Heavy enough info, so here's a cute gif of some cats with minor brain scramblies for sensitivity balance.
    AbleDependableAmericanbadger-size_restricted.gif
    They're called Pablo and Bones.

I wonder are the powers that be behind the Democratic party happy that cases are spiking, by the time we get to the election there will be a lot of anger due to the way things were handled but there will also be a good chance of herd immunity in many states something which will benefit the Democrats if they win.

Good chance Biden or Trump could get this and kick the bucket tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I wonder are the powers that be behind the Democratic party happy that cases are spiking, by the time we get to the election there will be a lot of anger due to the way things were handled but there will also be a good chance of herd immunity in many states something which will benefit the Democrats if they win.
    https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1282830302272987137?s=09

Very unsettling growth in cases and death rates across America. Many of the blue states are faring better at containment than their republican neighbours. Things like mask compliance, education about handwashing and respiratory etiquette and carefully implementing safe workplaces while keeping schools closed have been effective control methods (seeing as Trump allocated inadequate funds to many at the start, they had to take more drastic action from the start).

Putting it simply, the majority in red states hate being told what to do, think covid is a hoax and demand business as usual as regards commerce and education. That's a lethal combination. It isn't just the ignorant who suffer when the cases and deaths start to rise but the scales seem to be tipping in favour of them now.

New York enforcing a quarantine on visitors (Fauci firing serious shots in Trump's direction)

Meanwhile bars are being closed again in Nevada but not casinos.
    Good chance Biden or Trump could get this and kick the bucket tho
    What do you think of Elizabeth Warren? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

El Sueño wrote: »

The main circumstance I can envisage where you might be able to prove reinfection would be if a person was infected with two genetically distinct versions of the virus at different times, which is highly unlikely due to the low mutation rate, not to mention the low chance of someone running such tests. Other than that, people will just make the assertion that the person was never virus free and that the tests were faulty. But does it really matter, because the main issue is the lack of immunity conferred, leading to a return of symptoms? Whether it's technically a reinfection or a flare up hardly matters as both are only possible with a poor immune response, which is the principal problem.

I already provided multiple links reporting a second bout of symptoms.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement