Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

froog wrote: »
    in the simplest possible terms - this thing is rampant across the world right now, it never really slowed down and it is getting worse and worse. until we have a vaccine it's going to be bad. what will make it worse for us here in ireland is people taking zero precautions right now and mocking those who do and are anxious. the tough guy stance some on here have is extremely immature and dangerous. it's what led to the carnage in the US and Brazil right now.

enjoy the few weeks of freedom lad, really i mean that. I will too.

Here's the thing it's rampant in certain parts of the world, other parts are suppressing and containing it. I really have to laugh at your claim that we are taking zero precautions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I was going to say Michael Martin doesn't have the same ability to make hard decisions. The US travel thing is a major risk. Just like in march. It takes a while for things to get going but get going they do. It's entirely preventable.

At least he's upping his social media game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This guy is a football journalist. Not really the best source on a pandemic. Glad to see Italy doing well tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's impossible to take any government guidance to those already in Ireland seriously when the big risk from travel is not being managed at all. Mandatory face masks, social distancing in shops, bars etc. completely arbitrary and pointless to try to get people to follow while the borders are entirely ignored. The only thing I think of is that the risk from the virus has been assessed as against the effort and cost required to implement proper enforcement at borders and it has been determined to be worth taking.
    The Ford Pinto approach.
    https://www.tortmuseum.org/ford-pinto/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

prunudo wrote: »
    Thank you. One of the issues I've throughout is the vagueness at which they often report cases which can lead to causes undue panic or fear.

No worries.

Yeah I agree theres vagueness, have to rely on local reports for this. Cluster seems to have been tracked and brought under control

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

wadacrack wrote: »
    This guy is a football journalist. Not really the best source on a pandemic. Glad to see Italy doing well tho

he's been giving frequent updates throughout since Italy went under lockdown initially. Its been quite insightful and posted a few of his videos here before.

He gives updates on the situation, local restrictions etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I wouldn't make assumptions based on personal experience. Not saying its normal but it is common and was even before a pandemic. People with underlying conditions or past illness could be more susceptible. That's understandable to me.

Perfectly understandable to me too, but that doesn't account for healthy people who seem to display irrational high levels of fear. Although, it was Twitter and on it and some other social media there are groups of people who pursue Covid fear and anxiety as though it were the latest fad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I don't think there were many in that thread working in healthcare to be fair - also not that many who would be in a high risk category even...

How would you know if they were in a high risk category or not to be fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

To be honest, I'd take this football journalist over most of the so called journalists we have in this country at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

cnocbui wrote: »
    I already provided multiple links reporting a second bout of symptoms.

I'm not talking about anecdotes from people that got symptoms a couple of times, I'm talking about actual scientific evidence that one can get reinfected with COVID-19.

Those are two completely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think mandatory quarantine would deter a lot of people from coming if it's not for non-essential travel.

If it's you have to stay in say Citywest for 14 days, unless for hardship exceptions like travelling for funeral or to visit terminally ill relative (once you have negative test) then numbers would drop.
    You would have to wait days before being tested due to the incubation period. Someone recently exposed to the virus might not test positive if tested immediately on arrival. It could be several days later before the virus has multiplied sufficiently to produce a viral load that would result in a positive test.

Testing might be able reduce a quarantine period but it doesn't completely replace it.

Compassionate grounds for leaving quarantine to see a sick relative was the source of new cases in New Zealand after they had all but eradicated CoViD-19

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/16/new-zealand-records-first-new-covid-19-cases-after-women-arrive-from-uk-carrying-virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

That's grim, genuinely I'm beginning to wonder do people actually enjoy this level of fear.

How very empathetic of you. I’m sure you’d tell someone with a broken leg to walk it off like telling someone suffering with anxiety to cheer up or snap out of it. Nobody enjoys this level of fear or anxiety and to think they do is pure ignorance. The media have whipped up a lot of fear and plenty of people who had never had issues with anxiety will be feeling anxious. It will put a lot of strain on mental health services for a long time to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hmmm looking at the low deaths in Thailand makes me think that the nursing homes culture in the west is responsible for the huge death numbers.

What if the vast majority of the resources were used to protect/cocoon vunerable people while keeping the country open? Huge case numbers amongst young healthy people who would then create a buffer between the virus and the vunerable.

How very empathetic of you. I’m sure you’d tell someone with a broken leg to walk it off like telling someone suffering with anxiety to cheer up or snap out of it. Nobody enjoys this level of fear or anxiety and to think they do is pure ignorance. The media have whipped up a lot of fear and plenty of people who had never had issues with anxiety will be feeling anxious. It will put a lot of strain on mental health services for a long time to come.
    You don't know me so less of the assumptions it does nothing for any point you are trying to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

You don't know me so less of the assumptions it does nothing for any point you are trying to make.

And yet you are never slow in coming forward to regularly assume others are ''enjoying'' the doom and gloom. If you can dish it out, then you have to take it.

I think trust is waning. I won't be following any advice when it comes. If things do get bad, I'll look out for my family, friends, community in that order. Absolute joke of a government.
    • Telling us not to travel while simultaneously allowing people from the most infected country on the planet come here and holiday.
    • Actually advertising the place as a remote hideaway.
    • Hiding behind the attorney general when they are the legislators

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1282978145155440641?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Gas stuff. I’ll take what I can see from your posts as you seem to from many others.

The understanding of this virus here in early March was that 100% were susceptible and if that came to pass, the initial fear was needed to get people to comply. It didn’t come to pass thankfully and unfortunately the scenario of someone reliably coming out and saying “it’s safe” is not going to happen any time soon, which is what many may need to feel comfortable again. I’ve come to terms with it, but March was a dark month for me personally. Plenty of others will not feel comfortable after consuming so much media for the last few months, whether they were working or “just” sat at home on their couches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hmmm looking at the low deaths in Thailand makes me think that the nursing homes culture in the west is responsible for the huge death numbers.

What if the vast majority of the resources were used to protect/cocoon vunerable people while keeping the country open? Huge case numbers amongst young healthy people who would then create a buffer between the virus and the vunerable.

Bizarre to come to that conclusion based on the outcome in just one country. What about the large numbers of deaths in many countries without nursing home cultures, Brazil, Chile, Peru,Iran, Ecuador, Mexico etc. USA has likely had in excess of 100,000 deaths outside nursing homes. Thailand likely simply had no major outbreak.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    And yet you are never slow in coming forward to regularly assume others are ''enjoying'' the doom and gloom. If you can dish it out, then you have to take it.

I said I wonder do people enjoy the fear. Post is still there. You need to read correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

polesheep wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd take this football journalist over most of the so called journalists we have in this country at the moment.

He is quoting real data and says that even if there is advice that a mask is not needed it is better to wear one. I agree - football journalist or not he is quoting facts and giving good advice.

I said I wonder do people enjoy the fear. Post is still there. You need to read correctly.

You have wondered that in a hundred different ways over the course of many threads to the point that anyone expressing any level of concern about coronavirus is regularly impugned for being some sort of a fool.
    Everybody has a different way of responding to this, and that is mainly because shag all of us know in truth what the future will bring, and 2020 has been, in all fairness, quite a bit of a head wreck already. Personally I am reasonably sanguine, I do not crave the pub, I can work from home,I have a wild landscape all round me to explore etc., but this has all been and continues to be a very weird time. I think people should be allowed to express how they feel about it - including scared or whatever - without being made to feel in any way like slack-jawed shut-ins.

You have wondered that in a hundred different ways over the course of many threads to the point that anyone expressing any level of concern about coronavirus is regularly impugned for being some sort of a fool.
    Everybody has a different way of responding to this, and that is mainly because shag all of us know in truth what the future will bring, and 2020 has been, in all fairness, quite a bit of a head wreck already. Personally I am reasonably sanguine, I do not crave the pub, I can work from home,I have a wild landscape all round me to explore etc., but this has all been and continues to be a very weird time. I think people should be allowed to express how they feel about it - including scared or whatever - without being made to feel in any way like slack-jawed shut-ins.

'You have wondered that in a hundred different ways' seriously can you not respond without blatant exaggeration?
    Just for clarification I only comment on two threads about Covid. This and the travel one. I don't appreciate lies.

'You have wondered that in a hundred different ways' seriously can you not respond without blatant exaggeration?
    Just for clarification I only comment on two threads about Covid. This and the travel one. I don't appreciate lies.

This is I believe the 19th iteration of this thread.

This is I believe the 19th iteration of this thread.

Merged. As I said drop the exaggeraton . You don't like my comments that's fine address them but don't make up stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

This comment is such a deja vu. I have read it before long back.

• Advertisement

Renjit wrote: »
    This comment is such a deja vu. I have read it before long back.

It's a weird world.

Jnn2Com.gif

Meanwhile in the US they are blaming travel from New York for seeding outbreaks in other states.
    New York blamed travel from Europe.
    Europe blamed travel from China.
    Can we do the same when travel from those areas seed outbreaks here? etc. etc. etc.
    Circular logic at it's finest.

https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/status/1282490466785607680?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭GerryFog

Confirmed UK cases

New cases

UK deaths

1 in 6 confirmed cases in the UK results in death?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

On this, this raised an eyebrow for me the other day - could you clarify? On the one hand, I don't like prying into personal matters plus it's entirely possible I've misinterpreted, but on the other, you post about honesty a fair bit and have form for haranguing posters thereabout, so I figured I'd ask...
    I worked throughout no change, my wife sat at home for €30 a week less
    My wife works in retail and has worked continuously since the outbreak neither her or any of her colleagues contracted the virus. She works for a chain and she's not aware of anyone contracting the virus in other stores either.
    Btw I didn't say anything was impossible, you made a claim but won't offer any evidence to back it up, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

How would you know if they were in a high risk category or not to be fair?

Guessing from the tone of the content and their avatars that they were "younger" - maybe they were all immunocompromised in which case understandable levels of anxiousness

• Advertisement

Its probably also responsible for the >5 year life expectancy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Guessing from the tone of the content and their avatars that they were "younger" - maybe they were all immunocompromised in which case understandable levels of anxiousness

Well there's a spectrum of course. Could have asthma, heart issues, diabetes, cystic fibrosis all relatively common issues. And of course don't have to have specific health issues to be concerned so their medical history is a bit of a moot point overall.

GerryFog wrote: »
    Confirmed UK cases

New cases

UK deaths

Correct - but this says more about the testing than the death rate. (IOW if you only tested people in ICU the figure would be really bad).

Well there's a spectrum of course. Could have asthma, heart issues, diabetes, cystic fibrosis all relatively common issues. And of course don't have to have specific health issues to be concerned so their medical history is a bit of a moot point overall.

I agree 100% with your point - but its out of context WRT to what comes across on the twitter feed in question, where the vast majority of posters appeared to be posting from a position of normal health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Confirmed UK cases

New cases

UK deaths

sure there policy was not to test for months

the death rate in the UK is like everywhere else most probably, way less that 1%, work out the total cases that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Yeah like if you have "normal health" just go around playing Hurley and licking railings to your heart's content and then hug your elderly people, by all means.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-warning-from-italy-effects-of-covid-19-could-be-worse-than-first-thought-12027348

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768351

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/covid-19-causes-far-more-symptoms-than-first-suspected-2260587

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2247086-the-coronavirus-is-leaving-some-people-with-permanent-lung-damage/

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53065340

Those people in that Twitter thread are such scaredy cats, I bet they'll have to get their mommies to look after them. I'm impressed there are such hard men on here without any fear, how incredibly brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-07-14/barcelona-hospital-chief-the-situation-in-lleida-has-clearly-gotten-out-of-hand.html

Situation in Spain is getting really bad again.
    As usual they have learned nothing from the 1st wave, full lockdown within the next week or so.

So depressing - this crap will go on for DECADES!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Skip New York, fly on over to Ireland. No masks and no quarantine. The American dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

El Sueño wrote: »
    I'm not talking about anecdotes from people that got symptoms a couple of times, I'm talking about actual scientific evidence that one can get reinfected with COVID-19.

Those are two completely different things.

Since you don't accept the veracity of reports from clinicians treating infected patients, there is clearly nothing further to discuss.

• Advertisement

Has he not seen Leo’s latest talking points? We are not able to do it because.....
    • It is difficult legally.
    • countries that did mandatory quarantine actually
    • ended up with clusters in those quarantine centres.

So we are going to for the random clusters in holiday settings instead which is much more manageable than having cases in a quarantine setting. Does that make sense to anyone?

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1282969784741658624?s=21

Its probably also responsible for the >5 year life expectancy?

If your gonna ask a question it would help if it made sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There would only be about 4 countries in Asia whose reporting I would take without a sack of salt, and Thailand isn't one of them. I think you will find that Thailand has quite a thriving retirement home industry, populated by western customers. Even some Germans ship off mum and dad there because the costs are lower and the standards possibly higher.

cnocbui wrote: »
    There would only be about 4 countries in Asia whose reporting I would take without a sack of salt, and Thailand isn't one of them. I think you will find that Thailand has quite a thriving retirement home industry, populated by western customers. Even some Germans ship off mum and dad there because the costs are lower and the standards possibly higher.

Must tell my kids ;) would not be half bad to be shoved off to a retirement home in Thailand.

Now there's trouble busin' in from outta state
    And the A.G can't get no relief
    Gonna be a rumble out on the promenade
    And the grand coalition is hangin' on by the skin of its teeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I think they’ve made a mistake!! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Confirmed UK cases

New cases

UK deaths

The UK’s testing system is among the worst in the world imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Just heard about a small cluster in a nursing home as well near mallow

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Bizarre to come to that conclusion based on the outcome in just one country. What about the large numbers of deaths in many countries without nursing home cultures, Brazil, Chile, Peru,Iran, Ecuador, Mexico etc. USA has likely had in excess of 100,000 deaths outside nursing homes. Thailand likely simply had no major outbreak.

"BRUSSELS — Up to half of coronavirus-related deaths in Europe are occurring in long-term-care facilities such as nursing homes, the World Health Organization said"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/nursing-homes-coronavirus-deaths-europe/2020/04/23/d635619c-8561-11ea-81a3-9690c9881111_story.html

"More Than 40% of U.S. Coronavirus Deaths Are Linked to Nursing Homes"

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-nursing-homes.html

Might be best that you look stuff up before posting.

And some of the countries you listed ..Iran.. really so comparable to the west except for nursing home culture?

I have spent a few months in Thailand and it is a beautiful place...but it's also absolutely filthy, eat at any food stall in Bangkok and you will see rats everywhere, during rainy season the drains fill up and the streets are full of rain/sewer water, there is zero health and safety of any shape or form and yet they have shut deaths down hard. Initially I thought it would be hammered by the virus but the fact that wearing masks is a norm, so from day one people had them on and that the older vunerable people are not in big towns cities but instead back at home with contact to a few family members has made the difference.

In my opinion of course..but since this is the internet my opinion is all that counts :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

What about all these youngfellows infected at a house party, not showing up in the figures. More scaremongering?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement