Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

cnocbui wrote: »
    There would only be about 4 countries in Asia whose reporting I would take without a sack of salt, and Thailand isn't one of them. I think you will find that Thailand has quite a thriving retirement home industry, populated by western customers. Even some Germans ship off mum and dad there because the costs are lower and the standards possibly higher.

I would believe their figures for one reason, the country relies so heavily on tourism but international travel has been completely banned and had been for weeks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I don't see anything there that indicates Spain is getting really bad again. They've got a doctor who is concerned about an outbreak in a region - how does that translate to really bad for the entire country?
    So depressing - this crap will go on for DECADES!
    Decades?! Where's that coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

JJayoo wrote: »
    I would believe their figures for one reason, the country relies so heavily on tourism but international travel has been completely banned and had been for weeks.

Funny, that's precisely the same reason I wouldn't trust them.

ixoy wrote: »
    I...

Decades?! Where's that coming from.

The virus could well continue that long, but the measures to try and suppress it would be abandoned within the next year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Just heard about a small cluster in a nursing home as well near mallow

Heard that too from two diff people yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yeah like if you have "normal health" just go around playing Hurley and licking railings to your heart's content and then hug your elderly people, by all means.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-warning-from-italy-effects-of-covid-19-could-be-worse-than-first-thought-12027348

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768351

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/covid-19-causes-far-more-symptoms-than-first-suspected-2260587

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2247086-the-coronavirus-is-leaving-some-people-with-permanent-lung-damage/

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53065340

Those people in that Twitter thread are such scaredy cats, I bet they'll have to get their mommies to look after them. I'm impressed there are such hard men on here without any fear, how incredibly brave.

Not sure if you are referring to me or not and to be honest I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

JJayoo wrote: »
    If your gonna ask a question it would help if it made sense.

If your not going to include the previous quote it really really won't make sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-07-14/barcelona-hospital-chief-the-situation-in-lleida-has-clearly-gotten-out-of-hand.html

Situation in Spain is getting really bad again.
    As usual they have learned nothing from the 1st wave, full lockdown within the next week or so.

I think you meant Lleida not Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ryanair cutting flights from Ireland to UK. Are they hedging their bets that UK won't be on a green list? Or even if it is that demand won't be there?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0714/1153228-ryanair-flights/

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I agree 100% with your point - but its out of context WRT to what comes across on the twitter feed in question, where the vast majority of posters appeared to be posting from a position of normal health.

Fair enough but the original post you replied to was that these people may have anxiety. I wouldn't know or be willing to speculate on their individual medical conditions but wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility that they do so can't be ruled out I guess

• Advertisement

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-07-14/barcelona-hospital-chief-the-situation-in-lleida-has-clearly-gotten-out-of-hand.html

As usual they have learned nothing from the 1st wave, full lockdown within the next week or so.

Yes, completely out of control. Massive spike!
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

Eod100 wrote: »
    Why is this not mandatory? Don't want a test, grand, it's a 2,500 euro fine.

Because there is a constitution?

More good vaccine news today. Pfizers vaccine could be ready in as little as 4 months.

PFIZER AND BIONTECH GRANTED FDA FAST TRACK DESIGNATION FOR TWO INVESTIGATIONAL MRNA-BASED VACCINE CANDIDATES AGAINST SARS-COV-2

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-granted-fda-fast-track-designation-two

Because there is a constitution?

We're in the middle of a global pandemic where our movement has been seriously curtailed, mandatory mask wearing, etc. I'd find it very hard to believe that temporary public health law to this effect would be viewed as unconstitutional by any court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ryanair cutting flights from Ireland to UK. Are they hedging their bets that UK won't be on a green list? Or even if it is that demand won't be there?

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0714/1153228-ryanair-flights/

A sad day for this country when we begin to cut ourselves off from the world. Our government have been an utter disgrace in this aspect. Such a lazy lazy response to the quarantine issue.

A sad day for this country when we begin to cut ourselves off from the world. Our government have been an utter disgrace in this aspect. Such a lazy lazy response to the quarantine issue.

It's a financial decision at the end of the day. Many people aren't travelling from Ireland to UK or other way around. Them saying 1,000 flights would be 200,000 seems like serious exaggeration in context of current passenger numbers.

I don't think UK should be on green list but maybe with CTA it will. Have to wait and see.

Northern Ireland update:
    No new deaths again today
    2 additional cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Yeah, real sad when flights are cut to one of the most infected counties in the world

We're in the middle of a global pandemic where our movement has been seriously curtailed, mandatory mask wearing, etc. I'd find it very hard to believe that temporary public health law to this effect would be viewed as unconstitutional by any court.

I think the government is near terrified of a challenge to their current actions as the one provision of the constitution that allows for them is likely not applicable. The therefore are likely reluctant to invoke penalties likely to be applied, that might trigger a challenge.

• Advertisement

Singapore is now in recession and their economy shrank 40% on the previous quarter. Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I think you meant Lleida not Spain?

Lleida for now, concern is growing for Barcelona too where cases are exploding again ...

I think the government is near terrified of a challenge to their current actions as the one provision of the constitution that allows for them is likely not applicable. The therefore are likely reluctant to invoke penalties likely to be applied, that might trigger a challenge.

Their legal advise would be provided by Attorney General and has to be passed by President. If concerns arose president could refer to the Supreme Court. AG's seem very conservative in general. There is likely more leeway in laws they can bring in now with the specific context but I think it is a big stretch to assume they would be unconstitutional.

Already was one challenge, once it's legally sound I don't think they would fear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

More likely lockdown or restrictions in certain regions if courts allow. Not sure anyone wants or can afford full lockdown again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53392148
    The UK could see about 120,000 new coronavirus deaths in a second wave of infections this winter, scientists say.

Asked to model a "reasonable" worst-case scenario, they suggest a range between 24,500 and 251,000 of virus-related deaths in hospitals alone, peaking in January and February.

seems scary, then you read
    The estimate does not take into account any lockdowns, treatments or vaccines.

BBC being dangerously misleading here ...

More good vaccine news today. Pfizers vaccine could be ready in as little as 4 months.

PFIZER AND BIONTECH GRANTED FDA FAST TRACK DESIGNATION FOR TWO INVESTIGATIONAL MRNA-BASED VACCINE CANDIDATES AGAINST SARS-COV-2

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-granted-fda-fast-track-designation-two

OK, and thats enough internet for me today !
    Ill end on that positive note :)

Interesting. Wonder what sort of immunity it grants? If it's only 3-6 months would it be worth taking fast-tracked vaccine you'd wonder? Wonder how many would need to take it for critical mass?

Seem a fair few in US are very anti-vaccine and refuse to take one for covid19. That's all hypothetical of course as they can only really make their mind up when there's a vaccine to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Eh. Just a press release. They're somewhere between phase 1 and 2; getting out of phase 3 is what matters. Maybe 2023 they'll be ready is what I'm reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53392148

seems scary, then you read

BBC being dangerously misleading here ...

They were asked for a reasonable worse case scenario, and that's what was provided. There was nothing misleading, dangerous or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Igotadose wrote: »
    Eh. Just a press release. They're somewhere between phase 1 and 2; getting out of phase 3 is what matters. Maybe 2023 they'll be ready is what I'm reading.
    Well the press release posits a late-2020 / 2021 date although obviously that's conditional.

Interesting. Wonder what sort of immunity it grants? If it's only 3-6 months would it be worth taking fast-tracked vaccine you'd wonder? Wonder how many would need to take it for critical mass?

Seem a fair few in US are very anti-vaccine and refuse to take one for covid19. That's all hypothetical of course as they can only really make their mind up when there's a vaccine to take.

1.8x to 2.5x the antibodies of a regular infection. Fast tracked means very little other than speed, it goes through the same safety regulations as others.

Interesting context of travel restrictions. Canada-U.S. border to remain closed to non-essential travel until at least Aug. 21.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-canada-us-border-to-remain-closed-to-non-essential-travel-until-at-2/?cmpid=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

1.8x to 2.5x the antibodies of a regular infection. Fast tracked means very little other than speed, it goes through the same safety regulations as others.

Thanks for that. But if quicker than you'd wonder what they're able to reduce time on? Would think it may need monitoring period of 6-12 months for vaccine participants to ensure there's no unintended long-term consequences of a specific vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hurrache wrote: »
    They were asked for a reasonable worse case scenario, and that's what was provided. There was nothing misleading, dangerous or otherwise.
    No, but it doesn't exactly make a great fist of saying this will not happen, given the dubious reputation of some of this finger in the air modelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭yawhat?

Ficheall wrote: »
    On this, this raised an eyebrow for me the other day - could you clarify? On the one hand, I don't like prying into personal matters plus it's entirely possible I've misinterpreted, but on the other, you post about honesty a fair bit and have form for haranguing posters thereabout, so I figured I'd ask...

Looks like you’ll be waiting for a reply on this one. The poster has mysteriously abandoned this thread in favour of other threads. I wonder why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

is_that_so wrote: »
    No, but it doesn't exactly make a great fist of saying this will not happen, given the dubious reputation of some of this finger in the air modelling.

FFS, it's a worse case scenario. It's hilarious that people are having issues with an answer to a question that was asked. Would they have been happier if it was wrapped in spoiler tags so it could be avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Some more Irish businesses standing up where the government has fallen down.

They are taking financial hits for the common good, while the government twiddles it’s thumbs and makes pathetic excuses.

American tourists openly flouting Ireland's Covid-19 quarantine rules

Gregans Castle Hotel, based in the Burren in County Clare, said they "had to turn away two Americans for dinner last week".
    "They were renting a house in the area and had flown straight in from Denver."

Another popular Galway bar and restaurant, The King's Head, which usually welcomes tourists with open arms, said "we refused a group of Americans yesterday who admitted that they had just flown in".

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut do not want irresponsible Yanks from Covid hotspot states on their soil, but we still allow them in !

WTF

Hurrache wrote: »
    FFS, it's a worse case scenario. It's hilarious that people are having issues with an answer to a question that was asked. Would they have been happier if it was wrapped in spoiler tags so it could be avoided?
    Meh, it's a spurious one, which pays absolutely no attention to anything in the real world. The hilarity is that someone actually went through with the modelling. "Same as this wave" is as good a worst-case model!

Latest testing update

Tests conducted last 24hrs: 6318
    Tests conducted last 7 days: 49,264
    Positive tests last 24hrs: 15
    Positivity rate last 7 days: 0.3%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Latest testing update

10 cases out of that possible?

• Advertisement

They are taking financial hits for the common good, while the government twiddles it’s thumbs and makes pathetic excuses.

Gregans Castle Hotel, based in the Burren in County Clare, said they "had to turn away two Americans for dinner last week".

Another popular Galway bar and restaurant, The King's Head, which usually welcomes tourists with open arms, said "we refused a group of Americans yesterday who admitted that they had just flown in".

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut do not want irresponsible Yanks from Covid hotspot states on their soil, but we still allow them in !

WTF

We tell everyone coming in (not very many) that they need to isolate for 14 days. We have good data on numbers entering, so if it gets concerning can step up actions, especially at immigration control, wheras in NY, NJ etc. they can just drive up the interstate.
    Also take a look at arrivals for Newark airport and compare to Dublin
    https://www.newarkairport.com/flight-tracker?view=VIEW_DEPARTURE&apt=EWR

Santy2015 wrote: »
    10 cases out of that possible?

Yup 15 includes re-tests in hospitals etc

WTF

I think state could exercise powers already have if they wanted. Should be a basic check, if someone's not here on essential travel and is here for 14 day or less from high risk country should be turned away. That deterrent along would decrease lot of non-essential travel.

https://twitter.com/julieoleary90/status/1282385530337009666

A woman from Chile was kept in Mountjoy for over a week without any justifcation so clear state can use all it's powers when it wants to.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/0714/1153254-estefany-carolina-alquinta-gonzalez-court/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is there a list anywhere of recommended masks, fit, breathability and supplier etc anywhere?
    Trying to find one of those more rigid ones

I think state could exercise powers already have if they wanted. Should be a basic check, if someone's not here on essential travel and is here for 14 day or less from high risk country should be turned away. That deterrent along would decrease lot of non-essential travel.

A woman from Chile was kept in Mountjoy for over a week without any justifcation so clear state can use all it's powers when it wants to.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/0714/1153254-estefany-carolina-alquinta-gonzalez-court/
    Immigration are a law onto themselves and can be utterly lax in applying regulations or throw the book at people. They are great fans of onanism and can be very aggressive with foreign students. Couldn't see them try that with an American! Be good to see people roasted over that as it's an Article 40 issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Latest testing update

99.7% negative. Crikey.

Are these random tests or are all these people requesting tests due to symptoms?

And if it's a mix, what's the ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

We tell everyone coming in (not very many) that they need to isolate for 14 days. We have good data on numbers entering, so if it gets concerning can step up actions, especially at immigration control, wheras in NY, NJ etc. they can just drive up the interstate.
    Also take a look at arrivals for Newark airport and compare to Dublin
    https://www.newarkairport.com/flight-tracker?view=VIEW_DEPARTURE&apt=EWR

Covney said yesterday that 250 people from the states are coming in every day.

1,000 every four days from the country with the most reported infected cases in the world is hardly "(not very many)" !

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

With regards to the Chilean case, it clearly states that the State was wrong for enforcing quarantine, it was unlawful detention and will be forced to be a huge amount in compensation. The Stated didn't even bother to fight it. What did you take from this case?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Immigration are a law onto themselves and can be utterly lax in applying regulations or throw people in prison. Couldn't see them try that with an American.

Just to be clear I don't favour throwing anyone in prison, it was more about the powers they have. I think if direction came from government to check how long people from high risk countries (whether Irish or not) are staying in country, where they're staying etc could help filter non-essential travel.

Covney said yesterday that 250 people from the states are coming in every day.

1,000 every four days from the country with the most reported infected cases in the world is hardly "(not very many)" !

:(

How many are tourists, how many are here for work, how many are returning Irish, how many are getting connecting flights?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement