Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Onesea wrote: »

The government could tell you nobody died of covid and you wouldn't believe them.

Correct, as my neighbour died of it, as did a friend of my daughter.

Not sure what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

157 postives out of that many tests. Massive amount of testing taking place in the last week.
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1283080831666446336?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Just listening to Rte 6 one news. Mary Lou calling for full disclosure from Cowen. Suddenly SF have found their voice after months of silence. Thank Christ they weren't in power for this crisis.
    Has she installed the Covid tracing app yet? Could all SF reps be asked if they have? Because she was asked this morning and hadn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1283084368295198721?s=19

Dylan Lynch in his 20s has permanent lung damage after picking up the virus while bringing his grandmother to hospital.

He's one in a million.The preverbial is going to hit the fan when the facts are slowly released reg this virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Dylan Lynch in his 20s has permanent lung damage after picking up the virus while bringing his grandmother to hospital.

Would you go way outta that he looks about 45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

With the case numbers nearly trebling overnight....are we headed for another lockdown??
    no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

With the case numbers nearly trebling overnight....are we headed for another lockdown??

Grab what you can quick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

https://t.co/b5NpPfJ8No

Interesting but not a surprise. In Ireland we counted all deaths, in all settings, suspected cases even when no lab test was done, and included people with underlying terminal illnesses who died with Covid but not of it.

The government could tell you nobody died of covid and you wouldn't believe them.

god yes we are all sheeple !! glad you informed us of this development.
    new account, one trick pony with one agenda, on your bike.
    you clearly just dont get that if the actions were not taken when they were taken then it would have been worse, much worse, but yea, goverment is defiantly lying to us, as are ALL CMO's world wide, and the doctors are in cahoots ............................ spare us please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

blade1 wrote: »
    Grab what you can quick!!!

Toilet paper and hand sanitiser about to be hit hard

I'm not a fan of our way of reporting case figures tbh. Makes it incredibly easy to skew the numbers.

I'd love to know how the data filters through from HSE etc through to HPSC because we've only reported 15 postive cases in the last 24hrs but yet get 32 announced.

We'll have to wait to see the county data in a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I dont know why but there seems to be a feeling around that we would contually stay below 10 per day and some think we could have got to 0. I dont see how either are or were feasible.

People have to get used to seeing case numbers fluctuate. Countries that have reopened like Denmark as you've mentioned are open over 2 months and have a level of cases where there isn't a spike, it just a continually reporting of cases

The difference is Denmark don’t have 250 people flying in everyday from the US or holiday makers getting off the boat from England. If we carry on the way we are, I don’t see how there can’t be a spike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,551 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder was he put on a ventilator, the report was poor in detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, I, for one, have the bunker ready. 40 foot from Musgrave outside the door with all I need!

I'd love to know how the data filters through from HSE etc through to HPSC because we've only reported 15 postive cases in the last 24hrs but yet get 32 announced.

To the ordinary person it looks like a massive increase today, it's not giving a genuine look at daily figures. If we weren't on boards.ie and into the figures we wouldn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Ireland's COVID19 Data Hub
    Positive tests yesterday was 28845, it is now 28860 - I keep track of this figure daily.

Is it anything to do with denotifying cases? We seem to count every case/death on the off-chance it could be Covid-19 and then denotify a chunk of them later. We were announcing suspected cases for a while early on but that is gone, policy seems to be assume Covid until proven otherwise when it really should be the opposite.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, I, for one, have the bunker ready. 40 foot from Musgrave outside the door with all I need!

Unless that bunker is inside Musgrave's,say your prayers!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭floraldream

My friend is friends with Tom from Myspace and he told her on WhatsApp that Micheál Martin is calling to every house in the nation to see if there's at least one person in the house that can make banana bread and if you can't you've to go into lockdown for another 6 weeks

dj jarvis wrote: »
    god yes we are all sheeple !! glad you informed us of this development.
    new account, one trick pony with one agenda, on your bike.
    you clearly just dont get that if the actions were not taken when they were taken then it would have been worse, much worse, but yea, goverment is defiantly lying to us, as are ALL CMO's world wide, and the doctors are in cahoots ............................ spare us please

Governments spend x4 months telling people masks are not needed.. Then masks are needed by law on public transport.
    Varadkar tweets numbers have been overinflated by 59 percent.
    The fact that this virus barely effects the young and healthy should ring through to you.
    I'm flying to Ireland in a week, I look forward to heading out on the lash.

Enough now - stop channelling George Lee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

That's the first time I have heard Zara King speak as I haven't watched TV reports on Covid. All I knew from here was apparently she asked silly questions but in all fairness to her she has a beautiful voice for her job.

• Advertisement

Gruffalox wrote: »
    That's the first time I have heard Zara King speak as I haven't watched TV reports on Covid. All I knew from here was apparently she asked silly questions but in all fairness to her she has a beautiful voice for her job.

Within the next year she will be working in government.

blade1 wrote: »
    Unless that bunker is inside Musgrave's,say your prayers!
    Made from loo rolls actually. Very secure and practical!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

He's one in a million.The preverbial is going to hit the fan when the facts are slowly released reg this virus.
    That's an absurdly inaccurate statistic.

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/coronavirus-new-research-points-to-lasting-heart-and-lung-damage-1.1048678

1 in 8 are left with severe heart damage

1 in 5 have heart complications requiring permanent medical intervention.

These are the people who previously had no issues with their organs. Even those who have no symptoms of covid are at risk of these internal injuries.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Made from loo rolls actually. Very secure and practical!

Not exactly a brick shîthouse! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Correct, as my neighbour died of it, as did a friend of my daughter.

Not sure what your point is.

Sorry to hear about your daughter's friend Jim as I'm assuming she was quite young

Had she any underlying health issues?

I just looked back on the testing figures there. Over the last 72 hours we had 48 positive tests and 60 confirmed cases.
    Disconnect there, clearly.

To the ordinary person it looks like a massive increase today, it's not giving a genuine look at daily figures. If we weren't on boards.ie and into the figures we wouldn't know.

Its a good thing then that my degree contained a speciality in data analytics so I like yourself actually look into data not just the headline and I've still no idea what way our set up is.

The moving to a 24hr period of reporting has helped but there seems to be a disconnect between HSE and HPSC. No journalist seems to spot the postive cases in the last 24hrs either because I've not heard it mentioned once.

We've seen small fluctuations before, such as the mater reporting incident but the 24hr postive numbers compared to the 24hr numbers announced haven't added up since the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭alentejo

I have cancelled my holidays in Italy which I due to take in late August.

Have booked a house in Cork in late August. I have a horrible feeling that my second choice holiday could be scuppered. I haven't left co Dublin since February.

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/coronavirus-new-research-points-to-lasting-heart-and-lung-damage-1.1048678

These are the people who previously had no issues with their organs. Even those who have no symptoms of covid are at risk of these internal injuries.

How many cases did Ireland have? In in 5 of these have heart issues?

Not buying it.

• Advertisement

Mate....new case numbers have trebled since yesterday

Surely any rational person can see such rocketing of numbers is dangerous position for us?
    1 death going to 5 deaths is rocketing as well. Look at the base. It's the same general range we've seen for a few weeks 10-30, largely it seems fuelled by known clusters. Now if that 30 goes to 60 or 90 tomorrow we might be a lot more concerned.

Mate....new case numbers have trebled since yesterday

Surely any rational person can see such rocketing of numbers is dangerous position for us?

Will we have less cases tomorrow,or more increases again??

No they haven't, 15 postive swabs have been logged in the last 24hrs, where the 32 number is coming from is beyond me, at best guess it relates to the postive swabs over the weekend being more than the case numbers that were announced over the weekend.

Over the weekend there were 40 odd postive cases reported but our daily announcements never reached 40 on a single day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

How many cases did Ireland have? In in 5 of these have heart issues?

Not buying it.
    I got this far ... seriously, what do they take us for?
    Even patients who display no symptoms of infection can suffer from serious health effects,

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your daughter's friend Jim as I'm assuming she was quite young

Had she any underlying health issues?

A healthcare worker and young with no previous health issues.

Of course some will say no 'known' underlying issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Does anyone here know why the Tuesday number of cases seem to be a bit higher than other days ? There is a bit of a trend with Tuesdays. Is it the weekend kind of delaying reporting and so Tuesday is the day when it kind of catches up or is it something else ? I'm just curious as to who this seems to happen.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Does anyone here know why the Tuesday number of cases seem to be a bit higher than other days ? There is a bit of a trend with Tuesdays. Is it the weekend kind of delaying reporting and so Tuesday is the day when it kind of catches up or is it something else ? I'm just curious as to who this seems to happen.

Tuesday is the weekend catch up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

No they haven't, 15 postive swabs have been logged in the last 24hrs, where the 32 number is coming from is beyond me, at best guess it relates to the postive swabs over the weekend being more than the case numbers that were announced over the weekend.

Over the weekend there were 40 odd postive cases reported but our daily announcements never reached 40 on a single day

So under reporting at the weekend affect is real? Or is this just a once off Monday. I’d agree it’s weird. We’ll know more tomorrow I guess.

FYI the Killarney originating cluster is reported now at 14 cases.

Whoever that was that went while waiting for the result should be locked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

That article is full of the following phrases: "may cause", "findings suggest", "can cause" etc. Its far from certain so to present it as fact that 1 in 5 have heart damage is wrong . They even note that the flu and other viral illnesses can cause the exact same issues.

So under reporting at the weekend affect is real? Or is this just a once off Monday. I’d agree it’s weird. We’ll know more tomorrow I guess.

To be honest at this stage I've no idea about a weekend lag, up until recently it looked like deaths had a lag yes, cases not so much but since Saturday the daily postives added and daily confirmed cases announced haven't equaled and they've been out by a bit.

Will probably have to wait for the county data tomorrow and Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Shocking. Or at very least pay the GP, tests costs for every one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Where did you find that data, Stephen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mind boggling selfishness.

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Have at look at the actual figures for the past three Tuesdays. Your premise doesn't hold at all

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    That article is full of the following phrases: "may cause", "findings suggest", "can cause" etc. Its far from certain so to present it as fact that 1 in 5 have heart damage is wrong . They even note that the flu and other viral illnesses can cause the exact same issues.
    It is one of the problems of "studies", especially data-driven ones. They are often guessing. Academics are also not very well-versed in PR and some of them get excited, can talk up their conclusions and get caught out by quotes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Another business stepping up and not taking Americans

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4194926113883399&id=167852429924141

Mind boggling selfishness.
    Mind boggling stupidity is more apt.

The Internet remembers ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Thought other businesses were refusing to take anyone who hasn't self isolated for 14 days? Hotels are different because presumably could self isolate there. Presume its anyone from America too as opposed to just Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I think this is the first time that we have gone three days without a death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Dante7 wrote: »
    I think this is the first time that we have gone three days without a death.

Well that's a good trend to be on. I know we had some days last week with no deaths but I don't think it was three in a row, there was a break.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement