Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

is_that_so wrote: »
    The Internet remembers ...

Is that yer man with the cafe who hates vegans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Another business stepping up and not taking Americans

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4194926113883399&id=167852429924141

That's really well written by them. hopefully more hotels follow

There's a growing sentiment on Reddit Ireland too that if our "Government" don't step up then we'll have to simply be obnoxious to all American tourists we meet and make it clear they're not welcome here

No "Cead Mile Failte" for them this year. More along the lines of "Could you Mind Fcuking off, thanks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Stheno wrote: »

Yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It's yer man who's mad for the publicity alright. Say this is another PR stunt from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No idea, it's in Phibsboro. "Victorian Vibe in a Quiet Hood" they claim. Seems to be explicitly targeting millennials. There's an awful lot of gibberish on their site.

I don’t follow this as closely anymore, the hysteria drives me mad.

Am I right in saying that we have doubled the number of tests we are doing compared to just a few weeks ago?

The positivity rate is actually around the same? Just more tests and finding cases which is better than not finding them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thought other businesses were refusing to take anyone who hasn't self isolated for 14 days? Hotels are different because presumably could self isolate there. Presume its anyone from America too as opposed to just Americans.

You're not really self isolating when you go off for food in a hotel or use hotel facilities.

And you're still free to come and go from a hotel because it's not mandatory quarantine.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

There's a growing sentiment on Reddit Ireland too that if our "Government" don't step up then we'll have to simply be obnoxious to all American tourists we meet and make it clear they're not welcome here

No "Cead Mile Failte" for them this year. More along the lines of "Could you Mind Fcuking off, thanks"

NPHET warned against that as obviously can't tell if someone is living here or a tourist who has already self-isolated. I'm frustrated with government lax approach but don't think that's right either. If they're here already, they're either aware of rules and don't care or aren't aware. That's why I think authorities need to do more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Am I right in saying that we have doubled the number of tests we are doing compared to just a few weeks ago?

The positivity rate is actually around the same? Just more tests and finding cases which is better than not finding them.

You could say that yes, the positivity rate is the exact same

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Let them get off the planes and have a few nights on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Onesea wrote: »
    Governments spend x4 months telling people masks are not needed.. Then masks are needed by law on public transport.
    Varadkar tweets numbers have been overinflated by 59 percent.
    The fact that this virus barely effects the young and healthy should ring through to you.
    I'm flying to Ireland in a week, I look forward to heading out on the lash.

not going to get into with you, talking ****e, ignoring the fact that IT DOES affect young and healthy, but yea **** the old and sick, or the young and sick or just the sick.
    dont bother coming on a holiday - gimps like you are not needed here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You're not really self isolating when you go off for food in a hotel or use hotel .

Looking at the guidlines it doesn’t say self isolation, it’s changed to restrict your movements for 14 days. You can shop and still go out for exercise but you have to keep distance from people.

You're not really self isolating when you go off for food in a hotel or use hotel facilities.

And you're still free to come and go from a hotel because it's not mandatory quarantine.

Yeah you'd have to get food served up in your room.

It's their business' decision but I can't see it making much difference. Wonder how they're going to enforce? Ask every booking have they traveled from US or other countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Let them get off the planes and have a few nights on the streets.

Maybe they should be given a badge on the plane to identify them?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah you'd have to get food served up in your room.

It's their business' decision but I can't see it making much difference. Wonder how they're going to enforce? Ask every booking have they traveled from US or other countries?
    It is but if they've taken bookings they should be the ones cancelling it on health grounds, not waiting till they show up, otherwise they deserve all the grief they may get on Trip Advisor or hotels dot com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

We have more than doubled the tests in the first 14 days fo July versus the last 14 days of June

519899.png

As you say the positivity rate has stayed the same. I have not heard once in the media about the increase in testing in this timeframe or the rate of positivity not changing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FYI the Killarney originating cluster is reported now at 14 cases.

Whoever that was that went while waiting for the result should be locked up.

I thought the carrier knew they were positive but still came to Kerry to party, disgraceful, should be fined as punishment

I've gone through the stigma of being in a country where people blame you for the virus because of how you look or sound. It's not enjoyable but for American tourists in Ireland now, it is very deserved.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Correct, as my neighbour died of it, as did a friend of my daughter.

Not sure what your point is.

I'm very sorry Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The carrier didn't know they had it in the Killarney cluster, that wasn't reported correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought the carrier knew they were positive but still came to Kerry to party, disgraceful, should be fined as punishment

Meanwhile people travelling to europe..... the shock and horror, oh wait, someone travelled within the country and spread it??

Zonda999 wrote: »
    We have more than doubled the tests in the first 14 days fo July versus the last 14 days of June

519899.png

As you say the positivity rate has stayed the same. I have not heard once in the media about the increase in testing in this timeframe or the rate of positivity not changing

Doesn’t fit the media’s narrative - none of them deal in statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

To be honest at this stage I've no idea about a weekend lag, up until recently it looked like deaths had a lag yes, cases not so much but since Saturday the daily postives added and daily confirmed cases announced haven't equaled and they've been out by a bit.

Will probably have to wait for the county data tomorrow and Thursday

Stephen where are you seeing the daily positives added vs the daily confirmed cases? Is that the tracker stats vs what’s announced on rte?
    It’s a bit flippin confusing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Doesn’t fit the media’s narrative - none of them deal in statistics.

I agree completely.

It annoys me when I hear headlines like "worrying increase in numbers testing positive". At best it is being disingenuous and at worst it is factually incorrect when the number of tests has more than doubled of late.

Now if the number of tests had stayed roughly the same and the rate of positives had say doubled, then it would be justified.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Stephen where are you seeing the daily positives added vs the daily confirmed cases? Is that the tracker stats vs what’s announced on rte?

I post positive tests daily, based on the number yesterday vs today. There was 15 positive tests in the last 24hrs.

AdamD wrote: »
    The carrier didn't know they had it in the Killarney cluster, that wasn't reported correctly

What's the correct true story so waiting test result or tested positive before? Either way should be isolating not travelling to a party

I post positive tests daily, based on the number yesterday vs today. There was 15 positive tests in the last 24hrs.

Ah I see. So you are comparing yesterday’s app numbers vs today’s app numbers which gave you an increase of 15?

So who updates the app and have they imputed the correct figures?
    If so where are rte getting their figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ah I see. So you are comparing yesterday’s app numbers vs today’s app numbers which gave you an increase of 15?

RTE gets numbers from Department of health.

Speak Now wrote: »
    RTE gets numbers from Department of health.

Ok so who updates the app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The data available from the dashboard is the number of positive tests from yesterday. According to the dashboard, the data is coming from the HSE covid 19 system. There is no reason to think this number would be wrong.

The data reported in media is the number of new cases, as announced each day by the government. This is not the same as the number of positive tests, as the same person may test positive twice. It seems that there is a lag between when a positive test happens and when this gets reported as a new case. Presumably, more validation is required on new case statistics to remove duplicate cases and perhaps that causes the lag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ok so who updates the app?

Sorry I dont know anything about the App.

The data available from the dashboard is the number of positive tests from yesterday. According to the dashboard, the data is coming from the HSE covid 19 system. There is no reason to think this number would be wrong.

The data reported in media is the number of new cases, as announced each day by the government. This is not the same as the number of positive tests, as the same person may test positive twice. It seems that there is a lag between when a positive test happens and when this gets reported as a new case. Presumably, more validation is required on new case statistics to remove duplicate cases and perhaps that causes the lag.

Grand I get what your saying about the Hse covid 19 system.

However if the same person tests positive twice, is this recorded as two positive tests on the Hse covid 19 system or only once?
    If that person test positive twice I presume the media only count that person as 1 as they deal in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sorry only seeing this now

On https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/ if you scroll down past the daily stats theres a number of tests done and total postive tests number. They update daily. ACITIZENERASED and myself have been tracking the change there daily. Total postive tests was +15 added today for 24hrs.

Whats announced on rte and everywhere else is the top figure, its whatever the HPSC notify of, I'm assuming today they're notifying of a batch from the weekend cause the numbers haven't added up since Saturday for postives recorded on dashboard v cases announced

wadacrack wrote: »
    Apart from stating the bleeding obvious is that the body predicting a possible 120,000 deaths in the UK? If they really want to predict cases they can just look at what's happening on now. That's the worst case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

However if the same person tests positive twice, is this recorded as two positive tests on the Hse covid 19 system or only once?
    If that person test positive twice I presume the media only count that person as 1 as they deal in cases.

It is recorded as 2 positive tests, and 1 positive case.

The HSE is the source for both the test and case data, but the media only report on case data. The test data has only become available in the last few weeks.

Of course, the number of positive tests should always be higher that the number of positive cases.
    But, this hasn't always been the case on a day by day basis and so we are assuming there must be some lag issues between the test data and the case data. It's not that either is wrong, just that they are not always consistent when we look at them each day.

Anyway, fingers crossed for a smaller number of positive tests and positive cases tomorrow!

Thats the big question really at what stage is the data validated and cases then denotified if they've been double counted through 2 postive swabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread but I'm seeing a quote from Varadkar saying that the rise in cases hasn't been big enough to prevent moving to Phase 4.

Seems an unusually definitive statement given they haven't made any announcement. I would tend to agree with him looking at the data but at the same time I wouldn't be too surprised if they push it back a couple of weeks.

It is recorded as 2 positive tests, and 1 positive case.

The HSE is the source for both the test and case data, but the media only report on case data. The test data has only become available in the last few weeks.

Of course, the number of positive tests should always be higher that the number of positive cases.
    But, this hasn't always been the case on a day by day basis and so we are assuming there must be some lag issues between the test data and the case data. It's not that either is wrong, just that they are not always consistent when we look at them each day.

Anyway, fingers crossed for a smaller number of positive tests and positive cases tomorrow!

Great thanks for the info!

• Advertisement

Thats the big question really at what stage is the data validated and cases then denotified if they've been double counted through 2 postive swabs

Thanks for the info Stephen.

Pentecost wrote: »
    Apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread but I'm seeing a quote from Varadkar saying that the rise in cases hasn't been big enough to prevent moving to Phase 4.

Seems an unusually definitive statement given they haven't made any announcement. I would tend to agree with him looking at the data but at the same time I wouldn't be too surprised if they push it back a couple of weeks.

He seemed fairly confident it would move ahead and Martin said he's more concerned about house parties than pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Boggles wrote: »
    Looks like my chances of having a pint in my local next week are diminishing by the day.

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Unless we live in our rooms for the next 3 years there will be in the region of 30 cases a day.

3 weeks should do it no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

accensi0n wrote: »
    3 weeks should do it no?

What exactly are we going to achieve in 3 weeks?

• Advertisement

Azatadine wrote: »
    That's just their usual concerns over cases. The political will is definitely looking towards reopening but they could do with issuing guidelines for it regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I genuinely believe that the figures now are lower than they would have expected 2-3 weeks after going into phase 3.

AdamD wrote: »
    What exactly are we going to achieve in 3 weeks?
    It's how long they say it takes to see the full impact of measures etc. Here we are 3 weeks on and cases are 10-30 daily so not a huge effect of the easing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If the Taoiseach is worried about house parties, wait till I tell him what it's like in a nightclub...

As other posters have said, wouldn't pubs have contact tracing logs, better chance of enforcing social distancing than at house parties?

I know Glynn is only one voice but will be interesting to see if him as acting CMO and Martin just in as Taoiseach will they be more risk averse. I'm not sure waiting a few weeks would change much in the scheme of things but if they felt it was best decision so be it.

Would seem a bit odd when the ones with food can still be open too though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement