Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Well who knows if the "Mickey Mouse" law may or may not have held up in court as no cases went that far.

Really? Well here is a specific question for you. Are you going to provide a link as I requested of you re.your post last night about the situation in Massachusetts?
    I’m not a liar.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/30/nation/mass-reports-zero-new-coronavirus-deaths-first-time-months/

ZX7R wrote: »
    Sorry Acitizeneraised this is purely a problem caused by the stand in government .
    The airline's are not forcing but practicing well within current legislations of the government.
    In late April early may Simon coveney stated in the dail that they were currently working on air bridges and hoped to have in place for the time frame for air travel in Europe.
    After that Simon Harris decided to go ahead with trying to get a mandatory quarantine inforced by legislation.
    That didn't work out as it would require a change to our constitution and then you have our common travel area and EU law.
    Middle of may decision on our external travel was to be reviewed on 26th of may then extended again till the 9th of July announced by leo that the new government would make the final decision.
    The situation we have now causing the most confusion is Tony Holohans tweets telling people NOT to travel for holidays.
    Since he tweeted they have been removed.
    The department of travel and foreign affairs has issued 3 statements that a decision on the matter is being worked on.
    A minister of the new government was quoted yesterday that the decision will be made by the government.
    This situation was cased by leo and Co not making a decision.

With all due respect the post of mine you quoted literally said it was a failure by the government

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

My friends wife has a chest infection,she rang the doctor who gave her a prescription over the phone and told her she has to get a covid test.Her appointment is not until tomorrow week,how come there is such a backlog on testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Just booked myself a few weeks in Texas. Should be good.

My friends wife has a chest infection,she rang the doctor who gave her a prescription over the phone and told her she has to get a covid test.Her appointment is not until tomorrow week,how come there is such a backlog on testing?

They’re testing everybody, testing increased two fold last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Typical of the millennial snowflake generation which, with a few exceptions, the majority of those who want to go on sun/sea/sex/drinking holidays in the middle of a global pandemic are.

ah we're back to let's blame young people. A sweeping generalisation to show how out of touch you really are.

Interview in the Independent with an older couple at the airport today travelling to the south of France on holiday. They don't fit into the snowflake generation now do they ?? They gave their reasons as to why they felt happy to travel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

They’re testing everybody, testing increased two fold last week
    Tomorrow week? How is that possible??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The blame the young thing is unfair. In my experience the young will socially distance in supermarkets etc whereas older middle aged types dont care as they think they know it all.

fr336 wrote: »
    The blame the young thing is unfair. In my experience the young will socially distance in supermarkets etc whereas older middle aged types dont care as they think they know it all.

It’s an easy group to target for some people on here. Ignorance at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

To be fair the Gardaí did have the power to bring people who violated the travel measures to court whereby a maximum fine of 2500 euro could have been imposed. The fact that the Gardaí didn`t enforce the regulations to the degree they should have done is hardly Simon Harris` fault.

There was a reason why they didn't enforce the restriction measures. I'm not a fan of Gemma o Doherty. She made a holy show of herself. She could have been right when she maintained the measures were unconstitutional. Why didn't the cops enforce them otherwise? The cops went after the easy work of breaking up beach goers and a small protest outside Debenhams where people were socially distancing but they never broke up large protests.

Something isn't right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Like ****e they do. (yes, I realise it's a generalisation, but the age range of the new cases imply they're not that good at their social distancing.)

https://twitter.com/Sd04406345/status/1278008121068314624

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0701/1150751-coronavirus-ireland/?fbclid=IwAR1LLAEsnLe6kMk0ZGsOAJw6-0hP63hvNfX-Hdk4sZ_Hewlb2gEIsaLgTW8

At least six cases of Covid-19 associated with international travel were identified in Ireland this week.

At this morning's Government briefing on the pandemic, the Assistant Secretary at the Department of the Taoiseach said now is not the time for complacency.

Liz Canavan said the advice to avoid all non-essential travel abroad remains.

Senior public health officials, including Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan, have strongly urged those considering undertaking non-essential overseas travel not to do so.

Ms Canavan added that it is important to remember that early cases of the virus were associated with international travel and the risk now is a new imported case spreading in the community.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Why would you assume that? So many assumptions....

One can make some accurate assumptions when you are following a thread longterm ;-)

s1ippy wrote: »
    Tomorrow week? How is that possible??

That is what I am wondering,it is a chest infection she has but those symptoms are the same as for covid so surely she should be getting a test done quicker,seems strange to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Christ the generalisation is flying around this afternoon. You’re making us Cork people look silly.

Can't take anything they say on here seriously when it's all clearly driven by preexisting issues with young people.

Posters like him really show their true agenda with that sort of comment.

They post extremely negative, fear-mongering comments, day in, day out, and purport to be the last bastion of reality but really its projection.

If there wasn't a pandemic, they'd be in other threads, projecting those same biases onto different issues.

Genuinely pathetic, feel sorry for them.

Boards Espana and Boards.fr must be in complete meltdown if this is how our people are reacting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

That doesn't bode well for the contact tracing element of this. Really it doesn't. How can we have faith in the system if it's taking over a week for a test?

I thought the idea of testing early, quick results turnaround, contact tracing was all part of the process to take people with a possible infection out from circulation.

The economy is being opened up, people are moving about more, there's people itching to get away out abroad and travelling would be considered risky.

Then this. We are smacked in the face with the possibility of the system failing us.

It's was reported to open the economy, we need several different things:

We need testing - test, test, test
    We need quick results
    We need contact tracing

Latest testing data.
    Average time from referral to appointment is 0.8 days.
    Average time from swab to result is 1.1 days.

Referrals at the same level as last week.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard-1-july-2020.pdf

owlbethere wrote: »
    That doesn't bode well for the contact tracing element of this. Really it doesn't. How can we have faith in the system if it's taking over a week for a test?

I thought the idea of testing early, quick results turnaround, contact tracing was all part of the process to take people with a possible infection out from circulation.

The economy is being opened up, people are moving about more, there's people itching to get away out abroad and travelling would be considered risky.

Then this. We are smacked in the face with the possibility of the system failing us.

It's was reported to open the economy, we need several different things:

We need testing - test, test, test
    We need quick results
    We need contact tracing
    She has been told to isolate from today but was out grocery shopping yesterday and felt it coming on her yesterday evening and rang the doctor this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

We know this, it’s a family from Iraq in Sligo. It’s a confined cluster.

Would all passengers on that plane be contacted and tested or what's the story in that type situation?

blade1 wrote: »
    Would all passengers on that plane be contacted and tested or what's the story in that type situation?

Doubt it. All wearing masks with extremely good air filtration, chances of infection are low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Like me, you’re full of assumptions too. I’m 49 and i make sure i keep my distance from people and i wear a mask while shopping for the auld pair. I see other older people doing the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ah we're back to let's blame young people. A sweeping generalisation to show how out of touch you really are.

Interview in the Independent with an older couple at the airport today travelling to the south of France on holiday. They don't fit into the snowflake generation now do they ?? They gave their reasons as to why they felt happy to travel

Which were?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Am surprised a couple of weeks ago, my dad got an appointment same day and results back in two (so two days end to end) - we will need this type of turnaround as we loosen restrictions big time...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Doubt it. All wearing masks with extremely good air filtration, chances of infection are low.
    Wouldn't fancy sharing a plane with someone with covid :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Just booked myself a few weeks in Texas. Should be good.

So? You won't be flying back into Ireland and thus is a bit daft to post that here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Because it's Ireland and you haven't heard we're doing well. So well there's no need for city west, so well we're probably getting rid of tests as well.

So well we don't need masks, so well we can open the economy back up and let the Americans in. So well that your friend's wife is probably a hypochondriac and making it all up.

Which were?
    “We’re traveling to our own house in France, so we're basically in a safe zone. We’re traveling to an area in France that has a very low instance of it (Covid) so I don’t see why we should have any major concerns,” said Eileen.

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/im-off-to-amsterdam-with-my-pals-i-just-need-to-get-out-of-here-irish-holidaymakers-jet-off-as-ryanair-resumes-flights-39331558.html

• Advertisement

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Am surprised a couple of weeks ago, my dad got an appointment same day and results back in two (so two days end to end) - we will need this type of turnaround as we loosen restrictions big time...

Yeah very surprised its taking 8 days for a test,not a good sign if she did have it,she would have the potential to pass it onto a lot of people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement