Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why do you say that?

Because the pub will soon fail as a business and won't reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭floraldream

Mate....new case numbers have trebled since yesterday

Surely any rational person can see such rocketing of numbers is dangerous position for us?

Will we have less cases tomorrow,or more increases again??

It was a joke m8

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

He seemed fairly confident it would move ahead and Martin said he's more concerned about house parties than pubs

If alcohol is involved then both have common denominator of insobriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's just their usual concerns over cases. The political will is definitely looking towards reopening but they could do with issuing guidelines for it regardless.

Its so late now most won't open until the end of next week anyway.

Let's not forget NPHET never told the government to bring forward opening shopping centres etc they didn't exactly give it their blessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Well there’s the push notification from RTÉ about next week.
    5 days of cases over 20!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Why do you say that?

Because what ever NPHET lite are spinning on the thread.

Actual NPHET are worried about the rise in cases.

If they give the go ahead for pubs, nightclubs and a 100 people allowed indoors and it goes títs up to the point where the schools can not fully return in September a large portion of the population will go apocalyptic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Pentecost

They're worried about the increase with young people. Just ban under 35s and let the rest of us get on with it in a controlled manner ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Gavan Reilly saying pubs could still open but not clubs as a compromise . Not threading for some reason here it is:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1283121421712003072

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1283121930980163584

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

You'd get the feeling NPHET would happily plod along at the current level of restrictions for years if needs be. The government needs to plough on, the green list delay is a total shambles. You'd think we were far better than the rest of the EU to delay publishing for fear of them undoing our progress. All the while flights are not banned from coming into Ireland. It makes a total mockery to Irish people who have followed the guidance the last four months. The government no one wanted not exactly warming up to the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Pentecost wrote: »
    They're worried about the increase with young people. Just ban under 35s and let the rest of us get on with it in a controlled manner ;).

Eh im 34 & 3/4 and just want a quiet saturday afternoon pint watching a match :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭rodders999

Think we should lock the lot down again so the tourists can enjoy the Cliffs of Moher and Guinness Storehouse in peace from us plebs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's clearly not the time for full steam ahead, can't we learn from everyone else's mistakes, or must we make our own.

Eh im 34 & 3/4 and just want a quiet saturday afternoon pint watching a match :D

Well if you're quiet you might get away with it.

Well if you're quiet yiu might get away with it.

I’m 31 and 1/3 old is it okay? I actually look more like 40. Reckon I’d getaway with it :)

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I’m 31 and 1/3 old is it okay? I actually look more like 40. Reckon I’d getaway with it :)

I could be lobbied down to 30 if you can promise to be quiet.

I could be lobbied down to 30 if you can promise to be quiet.

Feck can’t promise that

Boggles wrote: »
    Because what ever NPHET lite are spinning on the thread.

Actual NPHET are worried about the rise in cases.

If they give the go ahead for pubs, nightclubs and a 100 people allowed indoors and it goes títs up to the point where the schools can not fully return in September a large portion of the population will go apocalyptic.

Yeah I think schools reopening will be an issue. Meant to be their priority and will have to be if they intend people to gradually to return to work in autumn/winter or new year.

In the scheme of things delaying it by a few weeks when they've already been closed 4 months wouldn't be huge, few pubs have decided they won't open next week anyway. But not sure it will do a lot for case numbers.

I guess thinking may be that if there's another cluster from house party like from the reckless one in Kerry and a spike from pubs, it wouldn't be ideal.

I can see the additional concern about nightclubs given that people typically go there when they've been out for a few hours and are fairly tipsy. Patrons will be less likely to comply with any kind of social distancing in those circumstances. But a few pints at a table in a pub without having to buy food isn't massively increasing the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    Gavan Reilly saying pubs could still open but not clubs as a compromise . Not threading for some reason here it is:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1283121421712003072

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1283121930980163584

To be honest did anyone expect nightclubs to open ? Like they just aren't possible with social distancing. I know the one near me the owner owns the hotel and pub / restaurant attached and he's not opening it for the rest of the year but he'll use his late bar licence as normal when he can but no club, he's always had the late bar licence, the nightclub is set up now as an extra bar where all the online orders in the pub come into to. Was out of the question straight away regarding the nightclub

• Advertisement

I can see the additional concern about nightclubs given that people typically go there when they've been out for a few hours and are fairly tipsy. Patrons will be less likely to comply with any kind of social distancing in those circumstances. But a few pints at a table in a pub without having to buy food isn't massively increasing the risk.

If you don't open nightclubs you will just flood the bars with late licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

FFS of course clubs can't open. It's ridiculous to be even thinking about it. Clubs will need to stay shut until we have a vaccine, that's the unfortunate reality.

The other choice we may have to make is pubs or schools if people continue with house parties, not wearing masks and poor efforts at social distancing.

Also, why are we not experimenting with schools reopening partly now? There is a good chance they may need to be shut in November, December and January. I know people are scared to accept the reality, but we are in the middle of a pandemic and people are acting as if this should be no more than a mild inconvenience. We'll have a vaccine with luck in early 2021, we need to hang on until then.

Cowen sacked apparently. Maybe FF will actually concentrate on the main issues now

True but they'll have to look at whether they should be allowed open late too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Well if you're quiet you might get away with it.

I keep to myself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement

True but they'll have to look at whether they should be allowed open late too.

They should just open my local.

No one goes there anyway. 8 meter social distancing isn't a problem, the half dozen bar flies there wouldn't look at you if you were on fire and the owner sees customers as a complete and utter inconvenience.

Pint is top notch though.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Looking at the guidlines it doesn’t say self isolation, it’s changed to restrict your movements for 14 days. You can shop and still go out for exercise but you have to keep distance from people.

They changed that on the quiet last week. It isnt a quarantine or a self isolation any more. First I heard was the COVID announcements on the radio. You are specifically allowed to exercise now, and shop for essentials if you can’t get them delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Maybe now Martin will focus on COVID issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

This pub and club talk mystifies me. Is superspreader event not the up to the minute science on Covid? It even has a bit in wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superspreader#COVID-19_outbreak_2020 1 guy there infected 500.

Like why do that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Of course, if the pubs had to close at 10:30 pm, then the problem is reduced.

Se how that works for 3 weeks, then reassess.

• Advertisement

Of course, if the pubs had to close at 10:30 pm, then the problem is reduced.

Se how that works for 3 weeks, then reassess.

I imagine if the pubs close at 10:30, you'll have Michaels Martins greatest fear more "house parties".

Maybe let them all open, but put the price of a pint at 20 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There’s no way nightclubs will be reopening, it’d be suicide for the country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Onesea wrote: »
    He's one in a million.The preverbial is going to hit the fan when the facts are slowly released reg this virus.

God there's some hysterical people on this thread but you really are the other extreme. What facts? You think it doesn't affect young people at all? What about the 23,000 Brazilians under 60 who have died? You think 23,000 Brazilians in their 40's and 50's die from 'flu' annually?
    https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/05/22/in-brazil-covid-19-hitting-young-people-harder.html

In Mexico the average age of COVID deaths is just 60, and only 52% of victims had underlying health conditions.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanielparishflannery/2020/06/24/important-facts-about-the-spread-of-coronavirus-in-mexico-city/#5da875a36c1c

In India, 50% of COVID victims who died were under 60, and 43% had no underlying health conditions.
    https://theprint.in/health/43-of-covid-patients-in-india-who-died-had-no-comorbidities-govt-analysis/453687/

If COVID spread across Europe lots of younger people would die. The deaths in Europe currently have been mostly elderly because community spread has been relatively limited while it was concentrated in nursing homes, once a virus gets in a nursing home generally everyone in the home gets it. So not only were this group incredibly vulnerable to the dying from the virus they were also much more likely than the average person to catch it in the first place.

I seriously cannot believe we have bull**** like this being posted that it doesn't affect people who aren't old when literally hundreds of thousands of middle aged or younger people in the developing world have died from COVID

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I imagine if the pubs close at 10:30, you'll have Michaels Martins greatest fear more "house parties".

Maybe let them all open, but put the price of a pint at 20 quid.

It's the cheap alcohol in supermarkets that gives rise to house parties. Make it 20 quid a pint there and you might stop the house parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

It's the cheap alcohol in supermarkets that gives rise to house parties. Make it 20 quid a pint there and you might stop the house parties.

Why not just put ricin in the beer altogether. Jesus this thread gathers nutters and curtain twitchers like it's fly paper

bb1234567 wrote: »
    God there's some hysterical people on this thread but you really are the other extreme. What facts? You think it doesn't affect young people at all? What about the 23,000 Brazilians under 60 who have died? You think 23,000 Brazilians in their 40's and 50's die from 'flu' annually?
    https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/05/22/in-brazil-covid-19-hitting-young-people-harder.html

In Mexico the average age of COVID deaths is just 60, and only 52% of victims had underlying health conditions.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanielparishflannery/2020/06/24/important-facts-about-the-spread-of-coronavirus-in-mexico-city/#5da875a36c1c

In India, 50% of COVID victims who died were under 60, and 43% had no underlying health conditions.
    https://theprint.in/health/43-of-covid-patients-in-india-who-died-had-no-comorbidities-govt-analysis/453687/

If COVID spread across Europe lots of younger people would die. The deaths in Europe currently have been mostly elderly because community spread has been relatively limited while it was concentrated in nursing homes, once a virus gets in a nursing home generally everyone in the home gets it. So not only were this group incredibly vulnerable to the dying from the virus they were also much more likely than the average person to catch it in the first place.

I seriously cannot believe we have bull**** like this being posted that it doesn't affect people who aren't old when literally hundreds of thousands of middle aged or younger people in the developing world have died from COVID

I'm not trying to downplay what you're saying or to make light of those who died but the health of the average Brazilian or Indian in their 40's and 50's is incomparable to their Irish counterparts. A lifetime spent in a shantytown or slum would age anyone 20 years in advance

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Why not just put ricin in the beer altogether. Jesus this thread gathers nutters and curtain twitchers like it's fly paper

Might improve the Budweiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Haha got a good laugh at this.

Seriously though, I feel sorry for those under 25 having to spend the next 10 years being judged for enjoying themselves in close proximity to others. Covid isnt the biggest issue, loola's are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

To summarise Covid isnt particularly dangerous to those under 70 in the developed world.

Haha got a good laugh at this.

Seriously though, I feel sorry for those under 25 having to spend the next 10 years being judged for enjoying themselves in close proximity to others. Covid isnt the biggest issue, loola's are

Vaccines are looking promising so here's to party time summer 2021. I know I'll drink beer like barley contains covid vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I'm not trying to downplay what you're saying or to make light of those who died but the health of the average Brazilian or Indian in their 40's and 50's is incomparable to their Irish counterparts. A lifetime spent in a shantytown or slum would age anyone 20 years in advance

Yeh, I'm sure it is a very large factor but still, it means the statement regularly bandied about that it is of no danger to young people is completely false. It is,as as we can see from those sources it has killed tens or even hundreds of thousands of middle aged or younger people worldwide. Perhaps the statement 'it is not a pressing health matter for the young and healthy of the developed world', may be quite valid, but just that it is of no concern to young people anywhere is absolutely wrong, I would imagine COVID is the leading cause of death of people under 60 worldwide currently.

Is WhatsApp down for everyone? Mine just stopped connecting the last few minutes.

Yeh, I'm sure it is a very large factor but still, it means the statement regularly bandied about that it is of no danger to young people is completely false. It is,as as we can see from those sources it has killed tens or even hundreds of thousands of middle aged or younger people worldwide. Perhaps the statement 'it is not a pressing health matter for the young and healthy of the developed world', may be quite valid, but just that it is of no concern to young people anywhere is absolutely wrong, I would imagine COVID is the leading cause of death of people under 60 worldwide currently.

But it's not "completely" false. Median age of cases is 48 and median age of deaths is 83 in Ireland, and we count deaths "with" covid which doesn't even mean "because of" covid.

Is WhatsApp down for everyone? Mine just stopped connecting the last few minutes.

Yeah been down the last half hour for me as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Another study pointing to covid being ‘stable’ in air for up to 16hours. Ventilation very important in any back to school / pub / club / cottage.
    https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1283066221366312961?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Another study pointing to covid being ‘stable’ in air for up to 16hours. Ventilation very important in any back to school / pub / club / cottage.
    https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1283066221366312961?s=21

Id swear I saw something like that months ago. Is it only becoming accepted consensus now?

I get more and more cynical of the mixed messages from the authorities. I really think they don’t know how to balance science facts with ways of getting things back to normal. Basically They flip flop on science as it suits the narrative they want to push.

Virus bad indoors, especially in close proximity with strangers or other people. But schools or planes or airports are grand cause the virus understands we need these infrastructures to carry on... Followed by something like “it’s science” or “it’s proven in some ambiguous non peer reviewed study that I won’t go into”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There’s no way nightclubs will be reopening, it’d be suicide for the country

The shift if lucky at the chippers now :P

Late pubs also probably wont be operating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Where is this cheap alcohol?

Alcohol is irish shops is amongst the most expensive in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Well said. We really are becoming a horrible country or perhaps we are now only showing our true colours.

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »

I guess beer should become a luxury reserved only for the elite in that posters mind. St James' Gate Brewery will become the new Monaco, a playground for the super rich.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement