Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

1 guy on #rtept is coming from US to meet his girlfriend coming from France!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Yeh, I'm sure it is a very large factor but still, it means the statement regularly bandied about that it is of no danger to young people is completely false. It is,as as we can see from those sources it has killed tens or even hundreds of thousands of middle aged or younger people worldwide. Perhaps the statement 'it is not a pressing health matter for the young and healthy of the developed world', may be quite valid, but just that it is of no concern to young people anywhere is absolutely wrong, I would imagine COVID is the leading cause of death of people under 60 worldwide currently.

Oh no I agree with you 100% I'm young and with no medical conditions myself and I'd still rather not roll those dice if I can help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is more than alcohol at parties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Has there been talk that the pubs reopening is going to be delayed or is Matt Cooper like a lot of the media focusing on the 32 cases while not talking about the increase in no of tests vs the low positivity rate ? Or would that be too nuanced. And no I don’t care if the pubs reopen on Monday and I’ll be waiting before I go back into my local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

1 guy on #rtept is coming from US to meet his girlfriend coming from France!

Saw that - absolute nuts. Quarantining here for 2 weeks then going to France!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Have we not danced this dance before, every 3 weeks? Few days to go, NPHET get “concerned” and ministers start leaking rubbish to press as a kite flying exercise?

Although I’m of the opinion that nightclubs can stay closed until we’re a little more in the clear and have given our testing a proper stress test. We’ve almost the whole country opened and enough people acting sensibly enough to keep cases low, let’s see what happens with pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

This thread is excellent. Always find him to be very accurate
    https://twitter.com/care2much18/status/1283128640348266496?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I saw on RTÉ that there is doubt about pubs reopening. I knew there was a lack of guidelines to publicans and the rte article has them saying they want to know one way or the other what's happening which is fair enough being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There is more than alcohol at parties
    I must be at the wrong parties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,551 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I guess beer should become a luxury reserved only for the elite in that posters mind. St James' Gate Brewery will become the new Monaco, a playground for the super rich.

While the Dail bar continues to sell one of the cheapest pints in the city of Dublin to people who are actually supposed to be in a place of work, mind boggles :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Santy2015 wrote: »
    This thread is excellent. Always find him to be very accurate
    https://twitter.com/care2much18/status/1283128640348266496?s=21
    https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1283128667447726084?s=20
    This is the worst thing he talks about tbh, there's some amount of gob****es in this country

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    They took their time releasing that. Good that there's a good immune response, I was fearing the results would be bad having waited for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

What does it mean when a case of coronavirus is denotified?

Means that the case has been either double counted, is a false positive etc

https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1283128667447726084?s=20
    This is the worst thing he talks about tbh, there's some amount of gob****es in this country

In fairness to NPHET and government, it’s a fine line to tread when lecturing the general public on what they should and should not do, while still keeping the door open to people being open and honest about contacts.

I’ve been limiting contacts and have been careful, but a couple of weeks ago what drove it home for me was realising that if I somehow contacted it and needed to give my contacts, it would have been 10+ outside my household and none were strictly necessary. Nothing mental like house parties, but visiting friends and family.

It’s also difficult in some family dynamics. I’ve an aunt who is in her local every night, let’s say they’re not exactly pushing the €9 meal or time limits. My mother brings her to work and to visit my nana in a nursing home but has told her she doesn’t feel comfortable doing it if she’s in the pub. So she has “stopped going to the pub”.

Given the narrative around house parties, even though you’re not going to get into any legal issues with contact tracers, some may feel guilt about curbing the guidelines, as anything official may appear as authority, and not fully open up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I've an American friend of European descent coming to study here next month. Absolutely sound person and vehemently anti current administration.

I hate that the poor fella could be affected by this as he is mad to get out of the states and start afresh, and excited after spending a lot of money to date. It's hard for me to spell out to him what I think is coming down the tracks.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I've an American friend of European descent coming to study here next month. Absolutely sound person and vehemently anti current administration.

I hate that the poor fella could be affected by this as he is mad to get out of the states and start afresh. It's hard for me to spell out to him what I think is coming down the tracks.
    I don't think there's an issue with inward immigration at this time tbh, tourism is a bigger issue. At least quarantine is possible for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I must be at the wrong parties

When this ever ends and we all survive, we need to throw a big boardsie Covid nutters shindig ;)

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »

I hate that the poor fella could be affected by this as he is mad to get out of the states and start afresh, and excited after spending a lot of money to date. It's hard for me to spell out to him what I think is coming down the tracks.

Anyone from any nation in the world is welcome here in my opinion, all they need to do is spend 2 weeks in quarantine. Get food delivered by a service or friend, etc. Daunting prospect spending 2 weeks in a house/room but in the grand scheme of things it’s not a massive ask. It’s just not compatible with tourism unfortunately.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    When this ever ends and we all survive, we need to throw a big boardsie Covid nutters shindig ;)
    No lie that is what i'm looking forward to the most

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tomas Ryan wants us to go back to phase 2 on the tonight show. Unbelievable stuff really.

Pushing the 0 covid island stuff again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Anyone from any nation in the world is welcome here in my opinion, all they need to do is spend 2 weeks in quarantine. Get food delivered by a service or friend, etc. Daunting prospect spending 2 weeks in a house/room but in the grand scheme of things it’s not a massive ask. It’s just not compatible with tourism unfortunately.

Or alternatively, get tested and isolate until the results come back. At least that won't take 2 weeks off your trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I don't think there's an issue with inward immigration at this time tbh, tourism is a bigger issue. At least quarantine is possible for him.

Yeah I think if you are coming for long enough that it is realistic to self isolate as required then that's no problem. Like everyone else I'd be highly dubious that most tourists are coming for an additional two weeks before they start their holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Tomas Ryan wants us to go back to phase 2 on the tonight show. Unbelievable stuff really.

He doesn’t care what the cost to society. He seems to continually ‘forget’ or omit the fact we’ve a border with NI, U.K. common travel area, are members of the EU and are not an island in the middle of the Pacific which has a primarily agricultural economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why can we not just charge 250 for a test and have it back in a day or two.

At least we have some very good contact tracing protocols in place now.

I went for my haircut (yay!) yesterday, name and phone number required.

We are very well positioned as a country to control any outbreaks. Cases will occur every day for the foreseeable future, of course. No bottleneck on testing capacity. Every notified case traced. Very low community spread.

We are in the best case scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Is WhatsApp down for everyone? Mine just stopped connecting the last few minutes.

I just got a message there about the army being drafted in to lock us in our houses, god remember them days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

niallo27 wrote: »
    I just got a message there about the army being drafted in to lock us in our houses, god remember them days

I do indeed. Some nonsense posted at that time.

3 people referred to gardai for not completing the locator form.

"Figures for the start of month show calls were made to 3,532 people who arrived in Ireland and only 48pc answered their phones when called."

Oh but it gets better, chances are you won't even get a call now,

"However due to the increase in people arriving here they are now selecting a “proportional cohort” of between 10pc and 20pc of each flight to call."

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/three-people-referred-to-gardai-for-refusing-to-fill-out-passenger-location-forms-39368900.html

It means that some tests are reported twice, but it could be from the same person. Different tests taken on different days from the same person.

There is no way to uniquely identify each individual. A person could have a test in a care home, say, and then the hospital does another test.

When this comes to light, a denotification occurs.

Asset backed, yeah I saw reports earlier on twitter about a WhatsApp outage. Mine is working OK though.

"Figures for the start of month show calls were made to 3,532 people who arrived in Ireland and only 48pc answered their phones when called."

"However due to the increase in people arriving here they are now selecting a “proportional cohort” of between 10pc and 20pc of each flight to call."

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/three-people-referred-to-gardai-for-refusing-to-fill-out-passenger-location-forms-39368900.html

What are they going to ask anyway? You don’t have to be at home. You are allowed to exercise and go to the shop for essential items. It’s a restriction of movement, not a quarantine or self isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

He doesn’t care what the cost to society. He seems to continually ‘forget’ or omit the fact we’ve a border with NI, U.K. common travel area, are members of the EU and are not an island in the middle of the Pacific which has a primarily agricultural economy.

The economy is ****ed anyway with social distancing. Our current approach is hope and pray for a vaccine. I don't think people have grasped just how restrictive the "new normal" is.

• Advertisement

HSE Operations update

As of 18:30 no change in ICU, 10 covid confirmed paitents and 5 on ventilators.

As of 8pm 13 covid confirmed cases in general beds. Down 1 on yesterday.

1 case confirmed in hosptial labs between 8pm last night and 8pm tonight, case reported from Navan hosptial

What are they going to ask anyway? You don’t have to be at home. You are allowed to exercise and go to the shop for essential items. It’s a restriction of movement, not a quarantine or self isolation.

Oh I agree its a joke, are you at this address ? Yes I am, OK so.

Now you might not even get that call

snotboogie wrote: »
    The economy is ****ed anyway with social distancing. Our current approach is hope and pray for a vaccine. I don't think people have grasped just how restrictive the "new normal" is.

True. Business will really have to adapt to this new reality. The economy will thrive in new ways, but we are in a time of change for sure.

HSE Operations update

As of 18:30 no change in ICU, 10 covid confirmed paitents and 5 on ventilators.

As of 8pm 13 covid confirmed cases in general beds. Down 1 on yesterday.

1 case confirmed in hosptial labs between 8pm last night and 8pm tonight, case reported from Navan hosptial

Wishing all well. Our health system is coping. I hope all medical services open soon.

IMHO it was never right to delay essential medical services to people, such as cancer treatment or screenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so where are those people now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Ridiculous the amount of times he's been on the tonight show during this virus. Surely once was more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The virus does not need to be ''Lab Made'' for China to be responsible.. They could have discovered it in a bat, then studied it for a few year, created a vaccine and then somehow it got out and infected people. I find it strange that China day after day come out with
    1 new cases LOL, HEHEH, HAHA
    2 new cases LOL, THE WORLD IS SO DUMB HA
    3 new cases LOL, Even when we're being so obvious they don't see it HAHA

They have a vaccine, it's the only explanation as to why no one else in China is getting sick, while the rest of the world is falling apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

The virus does not need to be ''Lab Made'' for China to be responsible.. They could have discovered it in a bat, then studied it for a few year, created a vaccine and then somehow it got out and infected people. I find it strange that China day after day come out with

They have a vaccine, it's the only explanation as to why no one else in China is getting sick, while the rest of the world is falling apart.

Or they are lying through their teeth:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you wanna go the whole conspiracy route then why do you not think China are not reporting new cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Or maybe they have the ability to completely shut a city down hard, essentially the complete opposite to what is happening in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

JJayoo wrote: »
    Or maybe they have the ability to completely shut a city down hard, essentially the complete opposite to what is happening in America.

They reopened long long ago, with no ill effect, makes no sense on paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

They reopened long long ago, with no ill effect, makes no sense on paper
    I'm not sure their "reopening" is all that "open"..

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you wanna go the whole conspiracy route then why do you not think China are not reporting new cases?
    To be fair the Chinese have been using their vaccine for a while, their military have all been vaccinated apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I find the acceptance of the "new normal" most remarkable.

The "new normal" until a vaccine. A vaccine exists for influenza, however 2-3 years ago influenza accounted for 25k deaths in Italy.

Sport', club's, gigs have all been postponed, some here are glad of that.

The median age of deaths in Ireland is 83 I think. The vulnerable need to be protected, but not at the cost of the futures of those not at risk.

Italy currently has had 34,984 reported deaths from Covid-19 with 3/5 of the months the virus has been present in the country in a very strict lockdown. Not comparable to the flu, I can't believe that has to be repeated still at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Italy currently has had 34,984 reported deaths from Covid-19 with 3/5 of the months the virus has been present in the country in a very strict lockdown. Not comparable to the flu, I can't believe that has to be repeated still at this point.

Everything is comparable.

Influenza seems much more deadly to younger folk than Covid.

Thats a comparison

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement