Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

To be fair the Chinese have been using their vaccine for a while, their military have all been vaccinated apparently.

You know what he meant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Everything is comparable.

Influenza seems much more deadly to younger folk than Covid.

Thats a comparison

Seems? Have some stats to back up that claim maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Italy currently has had 34,984 reported deaths from Covid-19 with 3/5 of the months the virus has been present in the country in a very strict lockdown. Not comparable to the flu, I can't believe that has to be repeated still at this point.

I dont think they’re saying COVID is like the flu. They’re just saying that flu has a vaccine yet tens of thousands of people die from in anyway. Who’s to say COVID will be any different? We may get a vaccine and still have to put up with a lot of deaths around the world even so

The median age of deaths in Ireland is 83 I think. The vulnerable need to be protected, but not at the cost of the futures of those not at risk.

And according to google the average life expectancy in Ireland is 81.96 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I find the acceptance of the "new normal" most remarkable.

The "new normal" until a vaccine. A vaccine exists for influenza, however 2-3 years ago influenza accounted for 25k deaths in Italy.

Sport', club's, gigs have all been postponed, some here are glad of that.

The median age of deaths in Ireland is 83 I think. The vulnerable need to be protected, but not at the cost of the futures of those not at risk.

It was 25,000 excess deaths not necessarily flu deaths, although typically excess death is chalked up to flu outbreaks but it's not a given. But if you are using an excess death statistic figure then surely you compare like with like, Italian excess deaths throughout March and April alone are already 43,000 above other years. Figures for May and June are not released but there was significant excess deaths in May at least in Italy also
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53073046

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Do we have a re-reg in the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Tomas Ryan wants us to go back to phase 2 on the tonight show. Unbelievable stuff really.

Pushing the 0 covid island stuff again

Himself and Gerry Killeen should fly to the moon and self isolate for the next 50 years

- The whole asymptomatic thing. So people can spread this without even realising they have it. Lovely.

Is there any actual proof of this? I’ve heard so much about asymptomatic transmission but I’ve yet to see any actual proof that it’s a thing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

They reopened long long ago, with no ill effect, makes no sense on paper

You are missing the point, China can shut down any area/region of any size literally in minutes, no other country on the planet can act as swift/brutally as China in this regard and people obey over there there are no protests, protest/don't comply and you disappear, this is why they have shut the virus down.

Essentially disobeying in China is far far worse than the virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Wonder what username Kermit is using? somebody like that just doesn’t go away. Hysteria is a Virus and it thrives on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is there any actual proof of this? I’ve heard so much about asymptomatic transmission but I’ve yet to see any actual proof that it’s a thing at all.
    Asymptomatic cases may be driving spread of coronavirus

International studies
    There are also reports in other countries of significant transmission by people who are asymptomatic or only mildly symptomatic.
    On Tuesday, Dr. Sandra Ciesek, director of the Institute of Medical Virology in Frankfurt, Germany, tested 24 passengers who had just flown in from Israel.

Seven of the 24 passengers tested positive for coronavirus. Four of those had no symptoms, and Ciesek was surprised to find that the viral load of the specimens from the asymptomatic patients was higher than the viral load of the specimens from the three patients who did have symptoms.
    Viral load is a measure of the concentration of the virus in someone's respiratory secretions. A higher load means that someone is more likely to spread the infection to other people.
    While Ciesek has not yet published this finding, on February 18, she published a letter in the New England Journal of Medicine about two passengers who returned to Germany from Wuhan, China, and tested positive for coronavirus.
    One of these positive passengers had no symptoms and the other had a faint rash and a mild sore throat. When she took their testing samples back to the lab, she successfully infected a cell culture with the patients' swabs.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread/index.html

The mortality rates for patients admitted to ICU:

US 70%
    Italy 60%
    China 44%
    UK 40%
    Australia 15%

Anyone know what it is here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭dalyboy

cnocbui wrote: »

That article is assumptions and vague claims. When did assumptions and claims replace SCIENTIFIC proof ? (Which is what the poster was asking for)

dalyboy wrote: »
    That article is assumptions and vague claims. When did assumptions and claims replace SCIENTIFIC proof ? (Which is what the poster was asking for)

I hope you don't mind if I nominate you to lick surfaces touched by asymptomatic virus carriers, just to find out for sure.

https://msphere.asm.org/content/msph/5/3/e00442-20.full.pdf
    In conclusion, surroundings of COVID-19 patients can be extensively contaminated and asymptomatic COVID-19 patients do contaminate their surroundings and impose risks for others in contact with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

US 70%
    Italy 60%
    China 44%
    UK 40%
    Australia 15%

Overwhelmed ICU's. Doesn't matter how good healthcare is, if the nurses and doctors can't spend enough time on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Noticing how since the new government came into power covid numbers have risen substantially and they are no longer following the advice of medical experts, they seem to be ignoring the rising numbers and carrying on with lifting lockdown while continuing to allow international travel from high risk countries despite multiple medical professionals requesting that flights be cancelled.
    Michael Martin gave a half arsed speech asking travellers to consider not coming to Ireland but isnt doing anything to actually prevent people coming into the country.
    Just reading about restaurant owners turning away tourists who aren't bothering to quarantine and aren't following guidelines, arguing with business owners to let them onto the premises. Business owners and the general public shouldnt have to forcefully implement rules and regulations. I feel like the current government is leaving the public high and dry to deal with this outbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Noticing how since the new government came into power covid numbers have risen substantially and they are no longer following the advice of medical experts, they seem to be ignoring the rising numbers and carrying on with lifting lockdown while continuing to allow international travel from high risk countries despite multiple medical professionals requesting that flights be cancelled.
    Michael Martin gave a half arsed speech asking travellers to consider not coming to Ireland but isnt doing anything to actually prevent people coming into the country.
    Just reading about restaurant owners turning away tourists who aren't bothering to quarantine and aren't following guidelines, arguing with business owners to let them onto the premises. Business owners and the general public shouldnt have to forcefully implement rules and regulations. I feel like the current government is leaving the public high and dry to deal with this outbreak.

Testing has doubled since late may/early June, official numbers mean nothing without taking changes in testing numbers and criteria into account.
    Has there really been an increase, a greater percentage of infections detected or are false positives driving the numbers now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

US 70%
    Italy 60%
    China 44%
    UK 40%
    Australia 15%

The programme on St James mentioned that specific hospital was 15 or 20% as far as I remember. I'd imagine overall it'd be close to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Reading this morning that there's concern in some quarters of government after NPHET advice last night but that NPHET didn't give guidance either way yes or no.

Issues for government seem to be giving a green list and if someone goes to that country they can go to as many bars on their holiday as they want and just come home but they'd still be telling people here you can't go to the local pub.

Secondly opinion appears to be to attempt to stop the house party issue you need to open the pubs so people are spread out in a controlled environment and not in houses.

Personally I'd say we'll see pubs given the go ahead, nightclubs not a hope. Outdoor gatherings up to 500 and maybe indoor to stay the same but judging off Leo's comments yesterday it sounds like phase 4 goes ahead.

NPHET have issued concerns at every stage so its nothing new.

Cabinet meeting from 5.30 this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Maybe they should be given a badge on the plane to identify them?

Just in case I am accused of spreading hate messages, this is not my view.

Quite frankly I am disgusted at the behaviour of our media and people in terms of the response to tourists - many of whom are Irish diaspora who have worn the green jersey in more difficult times.

If the government introduces a wishy washy policy it creates a vacuum for ‘hateful’ and unchristian behaviour. This virus really has brought out the worst in us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Quite frankly I am disgusted at the behaviour of our media and people in terms of the response to tourists - many of whom are Irish diaspora who have worn the green jersey in more difficult times.

If the government introduces a wishy washy Policy it create a vacuum for ‘hateful’ and unchristian behaviour. This virus really has brought out the worst in us.

Oh come off it! The diaspora and the green jersey? Really? Let's cut the waffle and call them tourists. If they cared about the country they'd stay at home in the middle of a pandemic, just like we did. This isn't about hate, it's about common sense health measures. I personally think the virus has brought out a lot of the good in people. If telling people not to travel from a virus rich area, and to take basic steps to protect others, is a bad thing then we're all doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like Trump admin will be managing covid stats from now on. https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1283292374735691776?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-ireland-likely-faces-imminent-second-wave-due-to-reopening-experts-warn-1.4304607?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-worrying-trend-of-symptomatic-people-refusing-covid-19-tests-1.4304542?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-full-reopening-of-pubs-could-be-scuppered-1.4304626?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The IT dumping nothing but fear mongering nonsense out yet again. Our data is entirely at odds with any sort of negative news headline which means these articles are entirely intended to drum up fear in the public. They serve no valid information sharing purpose and perhaps it is starting to look like the opposite effect may happen whereby people see through the utter spoof of the media and cranks like McConckey, Killeen and Ryan, by not following the guidelines as strictly anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Oh come off it! The diaspora and the green jersey? Really? Let's cut the waffle and call them tourists. If they cared about the country they'd stay at home in the middle of a pandemic, just like we did. This isn't about hate, it's about common sense health measures. I personally think the virus has brought out a lot of the good in people. If telling people not to travel from a virus rich area, and to take basic steps to protect others, is a bad thing then we're all doomed.

If there was a proper policy in place that is one thing, but there is a really unhealthy narrative of vigilantism at the moment.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-ireland-likely-faces-imminent-second-wave-due-to-reopening-experts-warn-1.4304607?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-worrying-trend-of-symptomatic-people-refusing-covid-19-tests-1.4304542?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-full-reopening-of-pubs-could-be-scuppered-1.4304626?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The IT dumping nothing but fear mongering nonsense out yet again. Our data is entirely at odds with any sort of negative news headline which means these articles are entirely intended to drum up fear in the public. They serve no valid information sharing purpose and perhaps it is starting to look like the opposite effect may happen whereby people see through the utter spoof of the media and cranks like McConckey, Killeen and Ryan, by not following the guidelines as strictly anymore.

While it is frustrating that people who are close contacts some don't want the test, that needs to be addressed.

The 'experts', McConkey, Killen and Ryan etc this is nothing new for them, every single phase we've looked to move into they've issued statements & signed letters etc.

Ryan was on virgin media last night wanted us to move back to phase 2 and wanted an all island approach to a covid free island, I think he forgets or wilfully ignores the fact that we've an open border on the island with a country that follows a different set of restrictions.

They'd gladly shut the country down for months upon end.

Anyway fear sells, they're all behind paywalls and no doubt they'll get subscriptions and ad revenue from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

While it is frustrating that people who are close contacts some don't want the test, that needs to be addressed.

The 'experts', McConkey, Killen and Ryan etc this is nothing new for them, every single phase we've looked to move into they've issued statements & signed letters etc.

Ryan was on virgin media last night wanted us to move back to phase 2 and wanted an all island approach to a covid free island, I think he forgets or wilfully ignores the fact that we've an open border on the island with a country that follows a different set of restrictions.

Anyway fear sells, they're all behind paywalls and no doubt they'll get subscriptions and ad revenue from them.

They are? Didn't realise.

The headlines;

"Second wave imminent, experts warn".
    "Full reopening of pubs may be scuppered".
    "Worrying trend of asymptomatic people refusing tests".

All posted 5 hours ago by the IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

If the government introduces a wishy washy policy it creates a vacuum for ‘hateful’ and unchristian behaviour. This virus really has brought out the worst in us.

Disgusted by the attitude of putting our people and our population first. Really?

They are? Didn't realise.

The headlines;

"Second wave imminent, experts warn".
    "Full reopening of pubs may be scuppered".
    "Worrying trend of asymptomatic people refusing tests".

All posted 5 hours ago by the IT.

They are for me anyway, but maybe its because I'm on my phone. But yeah I get the headline and first few lines, want more sign up. Its all revenue generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

owlbethere wrote: »
    Disgusted by the attitude of putting our people and our population first. Really?
    It's not either or and some may have a very valid reason for being here. Does this concern include the non-national part of our population?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Had enough of 'experts' already have you?

Yes, we should TOTALLY listen to randomers on the internet and not follow the advice of worried experts in the field, sure, what would they know? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

They are the only people coming up with anything other than pray for a vaccine. Their solution will look very stupid if a vaccine is rolled out in November, however if, like the article says, we are waiting years, it is our only reasonable option. I'd rather a few months of lockdown, followed by years of normality over muddling on with years of social distancing and rolling regional lockdowns.

People are not getting that:

(i) The virus isn't just going to go away one day. This will keep going until we find a vaccine or get a covid free island.

(ii) Social distancing is incredibly restrictive. Schools and colleges are not going back to normal in September, pubs are not going back to normal on Monday, sports are not going back to normal in Autumn, travel is not going back to normal without a vaccine.

The group, which includes many high-profile public health experts and epidemiologists, set out how Ireland could move towards a “zero-Covid island”, similar to New Zealand.

The group includes professor of public health Anthony Staines of DCU; infectious diseases ecologist Prof Gerard Killeen of UCC; immunologist Dr Tomás Ryan of TCD; Prof Patricia Kearney of UCC; Prof Gabriel Scally; and RCSI infectious diseases expert Prof Sam McConkey.

Dr Nick Flynn, a senior partner in the MyCorkGP practices group, said he was seeing a “worrying trend” of people presenting with symptoms, then refusing referrals for Covid-19 tests.

Serious concerns raised at a meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team could endanger plans to reopen the remainder of the State’s pubs on Monday.

... Sure what would THEY know?

Giving their educated opinions in fields they have devoted their lives to studying.... that the Irish Times is quoting.. it MUST be fearmongering nonsense..

How could they possibly know more than internet randomers like you ... oh, wait... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SeaBreezes wrote: »

Yes, we should TOTALLY listen to randomers on the internet and not follow the advice of worried experts in the field, sure, what would they know? :D:D:D
    We experts know what we are! The advice of some of the real world experts suggests they are completely blinkered to anything except the virus. COVID-free is pie in the sky, even with a vaccine, unless it disappears of its own accord.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Wonder what username Kermit is using? somebody like that just doesn’t go away. Hysteria is a Virus and it thrives on Boards.

Apparently bullies thrive on boards as well.

is_that_so wrote: »
    We experts know what we are! The advice of some of the real world experts suggests they are completely blinkered to anything except the virus. COVID-free is pie in the sky, even with a vaccine, unless it disappears of its own accord.

Except for New Zealand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

snotboogie wrote: »
    They are the only people coming up with anything other than pray for a vaccine. Their solution will look very stupid if a vaccine is rolled out in November, however if, like the article says, we are waiting years, it is our only reasonable option. I'd rather a few months of lockdown, followed by years of normality over muddling on with years of social distancing and rolling regional lockdowns.
    A vaccine isn't guaranteed, and there is an assumption it is. Things are looking good so far for a vaccine, but it's right that the experts are telling us that we can't simply assume one will become available. Personally I think if we can manage infection levels (a big "if"), continuing with the current strategy is the one which will get most public acceptance, and that's an important consideration.

Despite what the overnight "it's only a flu MAGA" crew keep telling us on this thread, this is a dangerous disease which kills large numbers of people, damages organs in many more, and will overwhelm our hospitals if allowed. The only options open to us right now are either eliminate it from the island, or live with it through social distancing and hope for a vaccine soon. Even when we do get a vaccine, it may be unlikely to give complete protection and we will have to live with some element of restrictions for a while yet.

If we get to the end of the year and vaccine trials have not been successful, I would be fully on board with the elimination approach and the pain that comes with it.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    A healthcare worker and young with no previous health issues.

Of course some will say no 'known' underlying issues.

Im sorry Jim, that's very sad.

Thats not the point at all, you've completely taken the wrong context here, firstly is anyone an expert on covid ?

Secondly these 'experts' that were mentioned are the ones who want indefinite lockdown, how does that work ? Quick answer it doesn't. Do you think we should listen to them when we have 2 different jurisdictions on the island whos policies are now vastly different and yet they keep publishing letters on an all island approach completely forgetting or ignoring that NI are part of the UK and following their advice.

So please do tell me how we can implement the experts suggestions of a covid free island and implement elimination while we have an open border with NI and varying policies.

I presume you agree with Tomas Ryan so, back to phase 2 and lockdown the entire country ?

in the absence of a vaccine I guess they’ll keep their borders closed forever

• Advertisement

Really still pedaling the New Zealand stuff, a country in the middle of nowhere with no shared land border ??

Oh yeah so many similarities with here, its been discussed time and time again how different both situations are

Nearly a hundred days of no community transmission in Vietnam and it shares a big border with China.

On the second link of symptomatic people refusing a test - I know someone who went to doctor with food poisoning and the doc wanted to have him tested. He refused initially as he knew it was food poisoning, however doc persuaded him. Negative of course. If he had continued to refuse he would have been counted as someone symptomatic who refused a test

Thats not the point at all, you've completely taken the wrong context here, firstly is anyone an expert on covid ?

Secondly these 'experts' that were mentioned are the ones who want indefinite lockdown, how does that work ? Quick answer it doesn't. Do you think we should listen to them when we have 2 different jurisdictions on the island whos policies are now vastly different and yet they keep publishing letters on an all island approach completely forgetting or ignoring that NI are part of the UK and following their advice.

So please do tell me how we can implement the experts suggestions of a covid free island and implement elimination while we have an open border with NI and varying policies

Yes Stephen, I would listen to the experts, no matter how much I didn't like what they said.

Now you are fearmongering, indefinate lockdown? Like FOREVER?
    Oh the drama.

Its not forever, its just for now, science will catch up. We are learning more about this virus every single day. Soon, we will know enough to treat/beat it.

But at the moment, this is the action the experts advise.

The fact that it is a pretty extreme action should worry you more than how to implement it. These experts are fully aware how difficult what they are proposing is.

But alternatives are worse. So, yes I would listen to them.

Not listening to the experts worked out so well for the UK in regards Brexit, didn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Look he is doing his best. He even dressed up and played the banjo on texan TV to drive the message home. A banjo maybe an unconventional weapon in this fight but if it hits home fair play I say.

Now if he could find a pen and legislate that would be great. Instead of saying "nothing we can do". It's legally unsound. Then fvcking make it sound.

One thing I think people are missing here is that winter is different to spring is different to summer.

When has anyone ever gotten a flu in summer? I would go so far as to say it's actually quite difficult to do this. If this thing is as contagious as it appears. Come winter essential services will be under severe pressure. Meat packing plants anyone.

Commuting to work, schools being open, pubs being open are all pie in the sky if this follows anything like other respitory viral seasonal trends. Nobody wants a lockdown but carrying on regardless is going to lead to a a ****show on a different scale.

Can you spot the winter in this chart?

519937.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The head in the sand craic on this thread never ceases but it's understandable. It's only human to not want to go back to where we were a few months ago but dismissing real expert opinions and harsh realities doesn't help anyone.

If you're not at least mentally preparing for a second surge, you're only doing yourself an injustice.

• Advertisement

Yes Stephen, I would listen to the experts, no matter how much I didn't like what they said.

Now you are fearmongering, indefinate lockdown? Like FOREVER?
    Oh the drama.

Its not forever, its just for now, science will catch up. We are learning more about this virus every single day. Soon, we will know enough to treat/beat it.

But at the moment, this is the action the experts advise.

The fact that it is a pretty extreme action should worry you more than how to implement it. These experts are fully aware how difficult what they are proposing is.

But alternatives are worse. So, yes I would listen to them.

Not listening to the experts worked out so well for the UK in regards Brexit, didn't it?

Indefinite lockdown is what the experts you say you want to listen to have said, Ryan and Killen both said it so its not me saying it before you start putting words in my mouth and say I'm fear mongering, they've both said it but sure you know that having listened to them so you know I'm repeating what they've said ?

Anyway at this point I won't reply to you further because your going off in a tangent now with brexit and if I replied to this post how I wanted I'd probably be banned.

But sure look follow Gerry and Ryan with the Indefinite lockdown all you want and again they've said that not me. Best off reading what they've said if you want to follow the crackpot theories of gerry killeen before stating that I'm coming up with indefinite lockdown.

Localised lockdowns will probably happen, an all island 0 covid lockdown, pie in the sky

Nearly a hundred days of no community transmission in Vietnam and it shares a big border with China.

The China/ Vietnam border is exactly like the ROI / NI border, and the current transmission rates in China are exactly like those in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Indefinite lockdown is what the experts you say you want to listen to have said, Ryan and Killen both said it so its not me saying it before you start putting words in my mouth and say I'm fear mongering, they've both said it.

Anyway at this point I won't reply to you further because your going off in a tangent now with brexit and if I replied to this post how I wanted I'd probably be banned.

But sure look follow Gerry and Ryan with the Indefinite lockdown all you want and again they've said that not me

I call straw man on this.
    They are saying lockdown to get it to zero.
    Then reopen EVERYTHING because it isn't here.

Right now it is here. Schools will reopen.
    Then they'll close again. As sure as night follows day.
    Do you think that this virus only has a panache for house parties?

Restrict all non essential travel into the state.
    Have quarantine facilities for people who can't effectively isolate in the place they'll be staying while here. At their expense.

The China/ Vietnam border is exactly like the ROI / NI border, and the current transmission rates in China are exactly like those in the UK

What?

I call straw man on this.
    They are saying lockdown to get it to zero.
    Then reopen EVERYTHING because it isn't here.

Right now it is here. Schools will reopen.
    Then they'll close again. As sure as night follows day.
    Do you think that this virus only has a panache for house parties?

Restrict all non essential travel into the state.
    Have quarantine facilities for people who can't effectively isolate in the place they'll be staying while here. At their expense.

Long term lockdown is not viable for anything other than epidemiological reasons. The broader economic and public health understanding is that we have to find a way to live alongside the virus rather than continual suppression as we cannot isolate forever. Look at all the cases being detected in quarantine in NZ. They can only keep their finger in the dam for so long before its unsustainable.

I am very hopeful that a vaccine will be successful, but long term isolation waiting on that is not viable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement