Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

What?

What was the point in sharing information on the cases in Vietnam when it shares a border with China other than to create a false equivalence?

What was the point in sharing information on the cases in Vietnam when it shares a border with China other that to create a false equivalence?

What on earth are you on about? Elaborate a bit on your last post. Was it sarcasm and my detector is broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Why in the name of God has every single measure taken by the government been reactionary instead of being pro-active with a little common sense? How in the name of God are we allowing tourists in from the United States, which is now getting multiples of the cases that China has ever had EVERY DAY.

Everything that's gone wrong has been predicted by many in here and the general populace going as far back as February. Don't forget we would have had pubs open on St. Patrick's Day but for the LVA having the common sense to put a stop to this.

The very first weekend of lockdown, many beauty spots were thronged with people. Surely this was inevitable considering every live TV sporting event was cancelled as well as any normal recreational activities such as going to a gym or playing golf. Again, the government waited till after the fact to do sometimes about this.

Now it's up to individual business owners again to turn away the custom of US citizens who really have no business being on the island in the first place. I sincerely hope common sense prevails and US tourism is stopped once this greenlist emerges. There are only three inbound flights from the US every day into Dublin. Forget about the advisory that these should be for essential travel only, MAKE IT MANDATORY, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO BOARD.

Nearly four months into a pandemic and only now is mask wearing being pushed, surely February was the time to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    The group, which includes many high-profile public health experts and epidemiologists, set out how Ireland could move towards a “zero-Covid island”, similar to New Zealand.

The group includes professor of public health Anthony Staines of DCU; infectious diseases ecologist Prof Gerard Killeen of UCC; immunologist Dr Tomás Ryan of TCD; Prof Patricia Kearney of UCC; Prof Gabriel Scally; and RCSI infectious diseases expert Prof Sam McConkey.

Dr Nick Flynn, a senior partner in the MyCorkGP practices group, said he was seeing a “worrying trend” of people presenting with symptoms, then refusing referrals for Covid-19 tests.

Serious concerns raised at a meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team could endanger plans to reopen the remainder of the State’s pubs on Monday.

... Sure what would THEY know?

Giving their educated opinions in fields they have devoted their lives to studying.... that the Irish Times is quoting.. it MUST be fearmongering nonsense..

How could they possibly know more than internet randomers like you ... oh, wait... :rolleyes:

To write articles based on nothing but quotes from these people creates fear as there is a misconception that what they say is gospel with respect to the virus. The articles put in no counter opinion whatsoever when there are obvious counter points which refute what they say.

1. Crush the curve - it necessarily fails and yet is constantly churned out by anti-relaxers, flat curvers McConckey and Killeen. Why is it a complete non starter? Because it only works if you close off all borders or else all other countries take the same approach. We will not be closing off borders and other countries absolutely can't afford to try to crush the curve so it is dead in the water.

2. Pub openings may be scuppered - based on what? Our data is remarkably stable and we are not doing any enforcement with respect to our borders. Further, the EU has already implemented a green list and most countries have bars and cafes open already. We are not exceptional so it is just one crank's view that pub openings should be scuppered. The IT should pose these counter points in the article otherwise it is just giving a voice to a minority, non-practical opinion.

3. Asymptomatic people "worryingly" refusing to be tested - perhaps I can give them this, as yes I would be concerned that people aren't being tested as contact tracing and testing is one of the things we need to ensure we can get rid of social distancing and not have to lockdown again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Long term lockdown is not viable for anything other than epidemiological reasons. The broader economic and public health understanding is that we have to find a way to live alongside the virus rather than continual suppression as we cannot isolate forever. Look at all the cases being detected in quarantine in NZ. They can only keep their finger in the dam for so long before its unsustainable.

I am very hopeful that a vaccine will be successful, but long term isolation waiting on that is not viable.

Not lockdown. Control. Big difference. You are wilfully misrepresenting it at this stage. But then again you probably knew that.

We have to decide as a society do we want to get back to normal. The current status quo is going to leave to many lockdowns.

If we actually took the approach of Taiwan, NZ, Vietnam or Aus (who didn't get it quite right but are trying again)

Then we will have normalcy. Which is a bias most people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

What on earth are you on about? Elaborate a bit on your last post. Was it sarcasm and my detector is broken?

I was calling out a bull**** false equivalence that was been created between Vietnam and Ireland. If that's not what you were at, I don't know where that statement fell in the flow of posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

One thing I think people are missing here is that winter is different to spring is different to summer.

Commuting to work, schools being open, pubs being open are all pie in the sky if this follows anything like other respitory viral seasonal trends.

I understand that this virus is not seasonal. There is certainly no evidence to suggest it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I understand that this virus is not seasonal. There is certainly no evidence to suggest it is.

The virus has its' first run and most people do not have immunity. Seasons will affect it just like flu cases.

Renjit wrote: »
    The virus has its' first run and most people do not have immunity. Seasons will affect it just like flu cases.

Do we know that? Seems to be surviving well enough in Texas and Florida

• Advertisement

It is perfectly clear

I was calling out a bull**** false equivalence that was been created between Vietnam and Ireland. If that's not what you were at, I don't know where that statement fell in the flow of posts

Pointing out that it's not NZ being an island that helped them. It was strict rules on entry and an early response. I wasn't particularly drawing and equivalence to Ireland since that ship has largely sailed. Just tired of this general opinion that it's impossible unless you're an island.

The evidence suggests that immunity only lasts for a short few months.

Not lockdown. Control. Big difference. You are wilfully misrepresenting it at this stage. But then again you probably knew that.

We have to decide as a society do we want to get back to normal. The current status quo is going to leave to many lockdowns.

If we actually took the approach of Taiwan, NZ, Vietnam or Aus (who didn't get it quite right but are trying again)

Control and elimination are different. Normalcy is not indefinite quarantine of entry into the country for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Does anyone know why there is a flu season? Is it simply because people are indoors more, or is there another reason?

• Wahahaha how do you know that?
    • Why is a virus seasonal?
    • Why are respiratory viruses seasonal

You are naive and little bit blinkered if you think this will behave any differently. Comes down to fluid dynamics & immune system condition probably & molecular biology. Experts (who we so loath on this thread) don't even know. So how can a randomer on the internet know? Of course this is MORE infectious, The mechanism by which it infects people is the same. So while "there is no evidence" There is circumstantial evidence to suggest this.

I googled it for you though. Now spot the differences.

Why flu season is in the fall and winter?
    The flu tends to spike in the fall and winter for a major reason: the temperature.

"The virus survives better in cool, dry temperatures," Simanek said. And that's thanks to a protective gel-like coating that surrounds the flu virus while it's in the air.

The flu is an airborne infectious disease. So in order to spread, the virus needs to survive long enough in the air to travel from one person to the next. And that's where the virus's gel-like coating helps when it's cold outside.

In colder temperatures, that capsule, which is made of fats and oils called lipids, hardens into a shell around the virus. This protects the virus and keeps it alive long enough to spread between victims.

For comparison, this isn't as easy to do when it's warm outside because the lipid coating degrades, exposing the virus to the environment where it can easily get destroyed before finding a host.

Once the virus is inside you, your body temperature degrades the coating, releasing the virus. After that, the virus starts to wreak havoc and replicate in hopes of infecting you and the next bystander. If you get the flu, you will be contagious for 5 to 7 days after your symptoms begin.

https://www.insider.com/when-is-flu-season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8520077/Forget-overseas-holiday-Qantas-pulls-international-flights-MARCH-year.html

Australia blocking flights till March 2021 - CEO of Qantas even thinks it will be July 2021.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

There are posters who think they are being extremely positive but border on silly at times. I think they are afraid, whistling in the dark.

Yesterday evening was a prime example when cases were announced. We had 32. Nothing that remarkable about the figure given we're opening up and some rises evident in other countries.

There was an amount of crap posted about it by the 'we know everything and don't worry be happy group'. Stuff like that figure is too high for the official 24 hour cases release I have. What way are they releasing stats?

Some posters think they have an inside line and are on NEPHET! The figure itself was nothing terribly worrying, just something to be kept an eye on with travel the main problem.

I presume we have large numbers of people who have now caught it for a second time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

wadacrack wrote: »

That group are the same group that were trying to slow down the last phase of reopening.

Seems very much like a group of epidemiologists who can't believe their luck that they're in the spotlight.

As soon as I see that Gerry Killeen tosser mentioned it discredits the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

For the republic of Ireland to take a stance like new Zealand this is what the political parties would have to do.
    First:
    A referendum to change our constitution
    To end our claim to the northern county's
    So the border can be closed.
    Then you would have to end the good Friday agreement.
    Then you would have to end our common travel area with UK this will also require a referendum.
    Then you would need to have a third referendum to leave the European Union as it would be the only way for us to fully close our borders to a free moment of EU citizens.
    This group can call for a zero approach for Ireland but they are only looking at from a medical view.
    There is no balance from there thinking and the way they are pushing there view is
    A little bit dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Heard a report today that said that GPs are seeing (predominantly young) people who are exhibiting COVID-19 like symptoms but are refusing to be tested, looking only for medication to treat respiratory conditions.

I find this strange since COVID is a notifiable disease
    https://www.hpsc.ie/notifiablediseases/listofnotifiablediseases/Immediate%20preliminary%20notification%20to%20a%20MOH%2004032020.pdf

I would have thought that testing in such circumstance would virtually be mandatory? :eek:

ZX7R wrote: »
    For the republic of Ireland to take a stance like new Zealand this is what the political parties would have to do.
    First:
    Then you would have to end our common travel area with UK this will also require a referendum.
    Then you would need to have a third referendum to leave the European Union as it would be the only way for us to fully close our borders to a free moment of EU citizens.
    This group can call for a zero approach for Ireland but they are only looking at from a medical view.
    There is no balance from there thinking and the way they are pushing there view is
    A little bit dangerous.

I want solutions not problems bucko.
    Think outside the box.

Get the north to go along with the strategy.
    Even better get UK to go along with it.
    We can do it.
    Look at the lions rugby team?

Every fvcking mainland EU country closed its borders. Bullsh!t.

Confounding of facts. There.

Heard a report today that said that GPs are seeing (predominantly young) people who are exhibiting COVID-19 like symptoms but are refusing to be tested, looking only for medication to treat respiratory conditions.

I find this strange since COVID is a notifiable disease
    https://www.hpsc.ie/notifiablediseases/listofnotifiablediseases/Immediate%20preliminary%20notification%20to%20a%20MOH%2004032020.pdf

I would have thought that testing in such circumstance would virtually be mandatory? :eek:

so where did you hear the report?

Little bit odd to post a thread with a deliberately alarming title, and not even provide any link to the report, or any real detail.

Think outside the box.

We can do it.

Gerry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

First:
    A little bit dangerous.

Plenty of EU countries shut their borders to other EU countries.

NI will mean we never get it down to 0. That border can't be closed from a practical perspective. We can stop UK citizens from coming over via boat/plane if we want to though. All international laws can be easily broken if no one cares.

D.Q wrote: »
    Gerry?

How very dare you. I work for a living thanks.

• Wahahaha how do you know that?
    • Why is a virus seasonal?
    • Why are respiratory viruses seasonal

You are naive and little bit blinkered if you think this will behave any differently. Comes down to fluid dynamics & immune system condition probably & molecular biology. Experts (who we so loath on this thread) don't even know. So how can a randomer on the internet know? Of course this is MORE infectious, The mechanism by which it infects people is the same. So while "there is no evidence" There is circumstantial evidence to suggest this.

I googled it for you though. Now spot the differences.

https://www.insider.com/when-is-flu-season

I agree with you on seasonality of respiratory viruses. This virus seems different and we are still learning about it but the evidence so far suggests that it is not seasonal. Evidence of case numbers in the middle of the summer being the primary input.

Think outside the box.

We can do it.

Rugby tour? Really?
    Also, every European country didn't close their borders, just closed the majority of crossings so they could control and monitor access. Everyone who was legally entitled to enter under common travel area still had to be allowed in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

There are posters who think they are being extremely positive but border on silly at times. I think they are afraid, whistling in the dark.

Yesterday evening was a prime example when cases were announced. We had 32. Nothing that remarkable about the figure given we're opening up and some rises evident in other countries.

There was an amount of crap posted about it by the 'we know everything and don't worry be happy group'. Stuff like that figure is too high for the official 24 hour cases release I have. What way are they releasing stats?

Some posters think they have an inside line and are on NEPHET! The figure itself was nothing terribly worrying, just something to be kept an eye on with travel the main problem.

I agree with you the figure was nothing terribly worrying but as we've seen its reported as being awful.

But on your earlier point sorry but thats BS your spouting about 'don't worry be happy'.

If as some of us do you track data, the total postive cases logged in the last 24hrs is 15, not 32 as was reported yesterday evening. Like was said yesterday the numbers reported as postive swabs v numbers reported daily has been fairly well off since the wekeend. So yes there are questions around the reporting of data and how it filters through from the HPSC so there's quite clearly a delay and that will be evident when the county data is released.

So throw around labels to groups all you want but the stats are there for you to see if you wish. The total postive will be updated later today to give the postive swabs in the last 24hrs, compare it then with the numbers announced and you'll see what people have been discussing surrounding a possible lag in reporting.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I agree with you on seasonality of respiratory viruses. This virus seems different and we are still learning about it but the evidence so far suggests that it is not seasonal. Evidence of case numbers in the middle of the summer being the primary input.

The virus thrives on indoor spread. Air conditioning in the summer helps it, central heating in winter.
    So winter is a worry yes.

That plus a flu surge at the same time would kill many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

D.Q wrote: »
    That group are the same group that were trying to slow down the last phase of reopening.

Seems very much like a group of epidemiologists who can't believe their luck that they're in the spotlight.

As soon as I see that Gerry Killeen tosser mentioned it discredits the whole thing.

As with all people who advocate for extreme restrictions, you have to wonder if they have skin in the game in terms of vulnerable relatives and how objective they really are.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Plenty of EU countries shut their borders to other EU countries.

NI will mean we never get it down to 0. That border can't be closed from a practical perspective. We can stop UK citizens from coming over via boat/plane if we want to though. All international laws can be easily broken if no one cares.

EU countries closed there borders in early March by declaring a national health emergency.
    We did not we never declared an health emergency under EU rules.

Do we know that? Seems to be surviving well enough in Texas and Florida

For first run, immunity is significant factor compared to seasons. Depletion of susceptible hosts may add more weight to seasonal factor.

"New viruses have a temporary but important advantage – few or no individuals in the population are immune to them. Old viruses, which have been in the population for longer, operate on a thinner margin — most individuals are immune, and they have to make do with transmitting among the few who aren’t. In simple terms, viruses that have been around for a long time can make a living — spread through the population — only when the conditions are the most favorable, in this case in winter."
    https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/will-covid-19-go-away-on-its-own-in-warmer-weather/

The evidence keeps on changing too. Further, how many of these studies considered T memory cells?

Rugby tour? Really?
    Also, every European country didn't close their borders, just closed the majority of crossings so they could control and monitor access. Everyone who was legally entitled to enter under common travel area still had to be allowed in

Yeah never have I ever........bull****.

Foot and mouth. #cowslivesmatter.
    The BBC news site of the time gives more than enough hints of what went on: "Irish premier Bertie Ahern tells the Irish Parliament that more than 1,000 police and soldiers are on duty at border crossings, ports and airports" and "Irish Defence Minister Michael Smyth criticises Northern Ireland border controls as not being rigorous enough to prevent foot-and-mouth spreading into the Irish Republic. He calls for a greater Royal Ulster Constabulary presence at the border."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/want-to-know-what-a-hard-border-looks-like-the-2001-foot-and-mouth-crisis-holds-the-key-37824268.html

Europe[edit]
    European Union/Schengen Area: The European Council agreed on 17 March to ban incoming travel other than citizens from countries in the European Union, European Economic Area, Switzerland and United Kingdom, long-term residents and people with long-term visa or residence permits, family members of EU and EEA citizens, medical personnel and people responsible for transport of goods for 30 days.[10][147][148] Each country has to implement the decision on the national level. Ireland choose to opt out from the decision due to the Common Travel Area. The agreement was to close borders for 30 days starting at noon on 17 March, though enforcement did not begin immediately as planned.[149] By the end of March, all EU member states (except Ireland) and all associated Schengen states (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) had introduced the travel restriction.[150] The restriction was later repeatedly prolonged until 30 June.[151][152][153] Some member states went even further and also prohibited EU and EEA citizens from entering, unless they are permanently living in the country or transiting to their home country, which is generally still possible. On 1 July, global travel ban was replaced by non-global.[154]
    Austria: Closed land borders for persons not having medical certificate confirming negative test for SARS-CoV-2 within the last four days. Visitors arriving by air without proof of recently testing negative will be allowed into the country, but then placed in mandatory quarantine for 14 days or until they test negative.[155]
    Belgium: Closed its borders to non-essential travel on 20 March.[156]
    Bulgaria: A temporary ban on entry imposed on all persons arriving from Italy, Spain, France, the United Kingdom, Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and non-EU/Schengen countries. Visitors from some countries can transit through Bulgaria to return home.[157]
    • Croatia: Closed its borders to non-citizens on 19 March.[158]
    • Czech Republic: Partially closed its borders to travellers from high-risk countries on 14 March.[159] Closed its borders to all non-residents on 16 March.[160] From 24 April, EU nationals were allowed to enter for short business trips or study, but only with a recent negative COVID-19 test.[161][162] On 15 June, global entry ban was replaced by non-global restrictions.[163]
    • Cyprus: The Cypriot government announced that only its citizens, along with other Europeans working on the island and people with special permits will be allowed into the country for a 15-day period beginning on 15 March.[164] This ban was extended until 30 April 2020.[165] Commercial flights in and out of the country have been banned until 28 May.[166]
    • Denmark: Closed its borders to all non-citizens 14 March.[167] This includes a ban on crossing the border for all tourism, but exempts travellers with "credible purpose" such as non-citizen Danish residents.[167]
    • Estonia: Effective 17 March 2020, foreign travellers are not allowed to enter. Right of entry will remain for citizens and those with a right of residence, and foreign citizens whose next of kin live in Estonia. Transit is allowed for foreigners not showing signs of the coronavirus. A mandatory two-week quarantine will be set for anyone entering the country, with the exception of Latvians and Lithuanians from 15 May.[168]
    • Finland: Closed its borders on 19 March 2020, except for Finnish citizens returning to Finland, foreigners returning to their countries of origin, essential work-related travel, and goods. Finnish citizens returning home are recommended to quarantine themselves for 14 days after arrival.[169]
    • France: Banned all non-essential travel into the country on 6 April.[170]
    • Germany: Effective 16 March 2020, Germany has partially closed its borders with Austria, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, and Switzerland. However, goods will continue to flow between the countries to curb panic-buying.[171] Non-essential travel from Austria, Denmark, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, Switzerland, and non-EU/Schengen countries was banned.[172]
    • Greece: Initially suspended all passenger flights to and from Italy on 14 March, excluding cargo and sanitary ones.[173] On 16 March, Greece closed its borders with Albania and North Macedonia, only permitting the transportation of goods and the entry of Greek nationals and permanent residents, suspended ferry services to and from Italy and air links to Spain and prohibited all cruise ships and sailboats docking in Greek ports.[174] The same day it was announced that a 14-day home restriction will be mandatory for those who enter the country.[175] On 23 March, Greece suspended all passenger flights from the UK as well as all air, sea, rail and road connections with Turkey, with an exception for Greek citizens and those who have residence permits, as well as trucks and ships that transport goods.[176] On 28 March, Greece suspended all commercial flights to and from Germany and the Netherlands[177] and on 15 April the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority extended, until 15 May, the ban on passenger flights to and from Italy, Spain, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Germany. Exemptions include cargo, sanitary, humanitarian, state, military, ferry and Frontex flights, as well as flights in support of the Hellenic National Healthcare System, those for repatriation of Greek citizens and emergency flights.[178][179]
    • Hungary: Hungary closed its borders for all passenger transport on 17 March and only Hungarian citizens and permanent residents from the EEA are allowed to enter.[180]
    • Italy: Banned non-essential travel into the country on 28 March. Only travelling for health needs, work requirements and reasons of absolute necessity is allowed.[181]
    • Latvia: Effective 17 March 2020 all international passenger connections by air, railway, sea and road, were to be cancelled. Only Latvians and foreigners with residency rights in Latvia will be able to enter the country from outside the Schengen Area,[182] but entry of foreign citizens by private vehicle from other Schengen member countries was still allowed.[183]
    • Lithuania: Closed the border for foreigners, except for those with residence permits, effective 00:00 (UTC+02:00) 16 March.[184]
    • Malta: As of 21 March 2020, island of Malta has closed air borders, except ferry flights, cargo flights, humanitarian flights and repatriation flights.[185]
    • Norway: Effective 16 March 2020, Norway closed its airports temporarily. Foreigners are turned away, and exemptions are made for Norwegians returning from abroad, and for goods.[186]
    • Poland: Effective 15 March, entry ban for all foreigners except for those with residential or work permits, and 14 days' quarantine on all people entering.[187][188][189][190] Beginning 17 March 2020, Norway introduced a quarantine obligation for all who arrive in Norway.[191]
    • Portugal: Closed its border with Spain to non-essential travel such as tourism on 16 March.[192]
    • Romania: Effective 22 March 2020, Romania banned foreign citizens from entering the country with the exception of official residents or those who are transiting the country.[193]
    • Slovakia: Closed its borders to all non-residents on 13 March.[194] Closed all three international airports and required all residents returning from abroad to 14 days quarantine in government designated quarantine facility.[194] Violators may be fined up to 1659 EUR.[195]
    • Slovenia: On 11 March, Slovenia restricted movement at the borders with Italy and later with Austria. Non-residents with symptoms needed negative COVID test, not older than three days. Cross-border public transport was suspended. Banned international commercial flights on 17 March.[196][197][198]
    • Spain: Closed borders to non-residents on 17 March.[199]
    • Sweden: Beginning 19 March 2020, there is an entry ban which applies to all foreign citizens attempting to enter Sweden from all countries except those in the EEA, the UK and Switzerland.[200]
    • Switzerland: Borders closed to foreigners without residential visas or commercial deliveries, unless they are immediately transiting the country, starting 17 March 2020.
    [201]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_restrictions_related_to_the_COVID-19_pandemic#Europe

The virus thrives on indoor spread. Air conditioning in the summer helps it, central heating in winter.
    So winter is a worry yes.

That plus a flu surge at the same time would kill many people.

How come Florida does not have a summer Flu spike?

http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/influenza/index.html

How come Florida does not have a summer Flu spike?

http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/influenza/index.html

"New viruses have a temporary but important advantage – few or no individuals in the population are immune to them. Old viruses, which have been in the population for longer, operate on a thinner margin — most individuals are immune, and they have to make do with transmitting among the few who aren’t. In simple terms, viruses that have been around for a long time can make a living — spread through the population — only when the conditions are the most favorable, in this case in winter."
    https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/will-c...armer-weather/

Think outside the box.

We can do it.

Every EU country declared an health emergency under EU rules.
    We did not bucko.
    The EU commission has already downloaded the level of severity of the pandemic warning in the EU.
    So even if we wanted to we could not declare an emergency currently.
    Comparing Ruby to political processes is not in the same league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

EU countries closed there borders in early March by declaring a national health emergency.
    We did not we never declared an health emergency under EU rules.

It would seem easier to do that then to have a referendum to leave the EU simply to close our borders for a while...

The end point is that it is still possible to do it without leaving the EU or ending the CTA permanently.

• Advertisement

https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/will-c...armer-weather/

So in summary on the posts on this matter:

- Its like Flu so we will have a winter surge
    - What about the summer surge in southern US states?
    - Air conditioning
    - Why no summer Flu spike?
    - Its not like flu

Truth is we dont know yet.

Conclusion of the linked Harvard study:
    For the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, we have reason to expect that like other betacoronaviruses, it may transmit somewhat more efficiently in winter than summer, though we don’t know the mechanism(s) responsible.

polesheep wrote: »
    As with all people who advocate for extreme restrictions, you have to wonder if they have skin in the game in terms of vulnerable relatives and how objective they really are.

I wouldn't even say its anything so selfless with them. I'd say it's more they could probably get plenty more airplay and publishing by being the group to completely squash covid 19. Keynote at Epidemiology Conferences for the rest of their days.

In essence, Rockstars :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

What in blazes are you on about? Figures are nothing to worry about, but people posting saying that are being silly?
    The posters commenting on the figures have fully linked and been consistent with their commentary on the data and discrepancies between different sets of figures.
    You aren't even getting the acronym for NPHET correct.

Every EU country declared an health emergency under EU rules.
    We did not bucko.
    The EU commission has already downloaded the level of severity of the pandemic warning in the EU.
    So even if we wanted to we could not declare an emergency currently.
    Comparing Ruby to political processes is not in the same league

That was an example where people might be able to understand. 4 nations wearing the same jersey that ordinarily 6 seven shades of ****e out of each other. If they can play together once every 4 years. We can align our policy once every 100 years. It's the symbolism man, come on. Feel the positivity.....

Oh and I was just calling bulls!t saying we can't close the border. We have, everyone else did. They will do it again and my hope is that we will do it to get back to normal.

I'm not doing this for me. I have asthma although not bad, rarely need an inhaler. I'm sure I'll be grand.

I want kids to be able to go back to school. That's my priority right now. Can't see that happening though while we prioritise short term dollars from tourists over long term well being of the country.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1283291803312160768?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

redmgar wrote: »
    Does anyone know why there is a flu season? Is it simply because people are indoors more, or is there another reason?

It might have something to do with low levels of vitamin D due to a lack of sunlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Thats not the point at all, you've completely taken the wrong context here, firstly is anyone an expert on covid ?

Secondly these 'experts' that were mentioned are the ones who want indefinite lockdown, how does that work ? Quick answer it doesn't. Do you think we should listen to them when we have 2 different jurisdictions on the island whos policies are now vastly different and yet they keep publishing letters on an all island approach completely forgetting or ignoring that NI are part of the UK and following their advice.

So please do tell me how we can implement the experts suggestions of a covid free island and implement elimination while we have an open border with NI and varying policies.

I presume you agree with Tomas Ryan so, back to phase 2 and lockdown the entire country ?

You are raging against something you don't understand. The clear point of the Covid Free Ireland is so we don't have indefinite lockdowns. They want a short harsh lockdown so that life can go back to normal as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

snotboogie wrote: »
    You are raging against something you don't understand. The clear point of the Covid Free Ireland is so we don't have indefinite lockdowns. They want a short harsh lockdown so that life can go back to normal as soon as possible.

Sorry but with the greatest respect I think it is you that does not understand.

How are you supposed to achieve a coivd free Ireland with an open border with the UK and a different jurisdiction of the island operating a different policy ??

Regardless of how long the lockdown would be we still come back to open border and 2 different policies on the island so how exactly do you achieve a covid free island with NI not implementing quarantine for a large number of countries and people free to drive into the Republic with no measures in place as its not feasible to shut down the NI border.

Would love to hear how its possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Sorry but with the greatest respect I think it is you that does not understand.

How are you supposed to achieve a coivd free Ireland with an open border with the UK and a different jurisdiction of the island operating a different policy ??

Regardless of how long the lockdown would be we still come back to open border and 2 different policies on the island so how exactly do you achieve a covid free island with NI not implementing quarantine for a large number of countries.

Would love to hear how thats possible.

We are a small island. It's achievable. Then what? Isolate for the next 10 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Except for New Zealand...
    Extremely isolated, low population density country ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement