Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

10th of August is the new date according to BBC NI

Will there be much difference in the amount of new cases of the positivity rate of tests by August 10?

Possibly but I'd take a guess that there won't be a significant difference in either by then. In which case do they just kick the can down the road again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

2 more deaths RIP

14 additional cases
    And are we good on the data? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

14 cases today, backlog yesterday now clear and obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,550 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With cases rocketing,was always optimistic to expect it before the augest bank holiday weekend

Rocketing? A tiny rise given the opening up of business around the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Shame we lost the 3-day streak with no deaths.

14 cases
    2 deaths, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Independent reporting it also. 3 and a half more weeks.

Can't see the numbers changing dramatically by then. Then again we all know there's going to be more house parties now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

With cases rocketing,was always optimistic to expect it before the augest bank holiday weekend

Cases rocketing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not opening the pubs because there's a rise in young people being infected as a result of them attending house parties is the most idiotic decision yet in this mess and will only encourage even more house parties.

If house parties are leading to infections within people's social circles, what do you think is going to happen when they start going to pubs with a broader circle of people?

If I was single, in my 20s or 30s, I'd be lepping to the nearest pub once open, as too would all my mates. It's a fallacy to think that there'd be no rush to pubs just because there's loads of house parties at the moment.

It has been evident in other places that it brings an increase, most notably in some US states, although the argument there is that they opened too early anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wasn't that original date? And pubs opening was brought forward 3 weeks? So going back to original schedule if anything

M

Hurrache wrote: »
    If house parties are leading to infections within people's social circles, what do you think is going to happen when they start going to pubs with a broader circle of people?

If I was single, in my 20s or 30s, I'd be lepping to the nearest pub once open, as to would all my mates. It's a fallacy to think that there'd be no rush to pubs just because there's loads of house parties at the moment.

There's social distancing in pubs, a completely different controlled environment to a house party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Drumpot wrote: »
    There needs to be a discussion, definitely agree with that. I’m not a scientist but I know masks do reduce the potential spread of a cough or sneeze. I don’t know how effective they are but what I do know is some countries are turning to making them mandatory. It also seems to be fairly common in asian countries who are widely recognised as the best at managing these virus’s. Why is that? Why would they wear masks if they were not that helpful? Is it simply a cultural thing or do there evidence that shows its benefits? I’m not saying I have the answer, but if it was definitively clear we would know by now and Trump (the last person in the world who wanted to wear a mask) wouldn’t be wearing any.

In terms of timetable , I suppose we could do it from an infection perspective. At what point do we see a rise in numbers that make masks required. That’s fair and I’d love to see more forums on these sort of discussions.

It just seems like there is an open/close type strategies unfolding. I don’t want that, I’d prefer open , maybe slightly closed if surge and wonder if the wearing of masks even when numbers are low will help prevent it.

I don’t want to wear masks, I just want us to do now whatever we need to start doing to make sure we don’t need another lockdown.

They initially started wearing masks due to the very poor air quality. But I don't see any good reason against mandating masks in situations where social distancing is hard (and indoors)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It gives more people time to book time off work for the glorious re-opening, and hence it'll be even more biblical than it would have been on Monday. The longer people wait, the bigger the rush......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

And there it is the push notification 10th of August. I’m actually speechless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's social distancing in pubs, a completely different controlled environment to a house party.

There won't be, and there currently isn't in many of them. The world and its mother knows this. You go to a pub with a group of people that sit together, see someone in another group you know well, there's going to be mingling.

Did they just want to deprive of us a proper bank holiday or what? We are surely owed a few to make up for it

Analysis of cases as of midnight Monday 13th July - 25,669 cases (+31)

Healthcare Workers +20
    Clusters +43
    Cases associated with clusters +74

Age Range Affected
    0-4 No Change
    5-14 No Change
    15-24 +2
    25-34 +7
    35-44 +5
    45-54 +8
    55-64 +4
    65-74 +1
    75-84 +2
    85+ +2

Cases by County
    Cork +2
    Dublin +14
    Kerry +2
    Kildare +3
    Meath +5
    Monaghan +1
    Louth +2
    Waterford +1
    Wicklow +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

14 cases today, backlog yesterday now clear and obvious.

"(Monday + Tuesday)/2"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Santy2015 wrote: »
    And there it is the push notification 10th of August. I’m actually speechless
    Perfect, so we'll start to really see the spread caused by pubs reopening just around the time the schools are due to go back.

Have to say, if I were a teacher I would be flabbergasted.

• Advertisement

we do two thirds more testing in a week than a month ago and find 10 extra cases roughly per day and they take the kick the can down the road option.

If your doing at times 9000 tests a day with a postivity rate of 0.3 thats not going to drop much lower

Agree - its all about being in a position to quickly respond to new clusters now, schools reopening is the tricky one IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Where's the sense in holding back phase 4 when they are allowing people in from hotpots to do as they please? The authorities are recommending self isolation instead of quarantine and the self isolation is not being adhered to. Where is the sense in holding back phase 4 while they are inviting potential covid19 cases into our country to mix with our population?

Also whay are they announcing it now? Its not for on the publicans who were planning on opening next week. There's been barrel deliveries already to some pubs in preparation for next week's opening. A smack in the face for publicans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Eod100 wrote: »
    Did they just want to deprive of us a proper bank holiday or what? We are surely owed a few to make up for it

The bank holiday is still there.

Healthcare Workers +20 yesterday

What the f*ck is going on in the nursing homes??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Healthcare Workers +20
    Clusters +43

Age Range Affected
    0-4 No Change
    5-14 No Change
    15-24 +2
    25-34 +7
    35-44 +5
    45-54 +8
    55-64 +4
    65-74 +1
    75-84 +2
    85+ +2

Cases by County
    Cork +2
    Dublin +14
    Kerry +2
    Kildare +3
    Meath +5
    Monaghan +1
    Louth +2
    Waterford +1
    Wicklow +1

So alot of yesterday 32 cases was actually from Monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well given the lack of plans publicans seemed to be getting and not knowing whether to order stock and not being able to tell staff whether they were open or not this coming Monday I'm not surprised they won't open Monday but the new date is a bit longer than I'd expected.

• Advertisement

The bank holiday is still there.

I know. I was being tongue in cheek. There was talk of extra bank holidays for ones we missed while restrictions were in.

So alot of yesterday 32 cases was actually from Monday?
    I believe they're from even earlier than Monday tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Healthcare Workers +20
    Clusters +43

Age Range Affected
    0-4 No Change
    5-14 No Change
    15-24 +2
    25-34 +7
    35-44 +5
    45-54 +8
    55-64 +4
    65-74 +1
    75-84 +2
    85+ +2

Cases by County
    Cork +2
    Dublin +14
    Kerry +2
    Kildare +3
    Meath +5
    Monaghan +1
    Louth +2
    Waterford +1
    Wicklow +1

I wonder we're the 20+ health worker's at house parties

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

So if I've got this right, we'll get a green list and your free to go to a country on it and roam around, go out for dinner and a few drinks or just a few drinks if you want, come home, no quarantine and go on as normal.

But you can't go to a pub here without a €9 meal.

Any logic there ?

Whatever about what goes on abroad ,publicans themselves are telling us that the advised norms are being egregiously ignored in many bars in Ireland.. This,alas,should come as no surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

How many countries in Europe still have their pubs closed?

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    I wonder we're the 20+ health worker's at house parties
    That's an absolute disgrace. No talk about that.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Where's the sense in holding back phase 4 when they are allying people in from hotpots to do as they please? The authorities are recommending self isolation instead of quarantine and the self isolation is not being adhered to. Where is the sense in holding back phase 4 while they are inviting potential covid19 cases into our country to mix with our population?

Also whay are they announcing it now? Its not for on the publicans who were planning on opening next week. There's been barrel deliveries already to some pubs in preparation for next week's opening. A smack in the face for publicans.
    A poorly ventilated pub is more of a risk than random travellers. Apparently it's the U35s to blame for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Mícheál Martin just proved he's a political chicken

Cases well in control overall yet pushing back 3 weeks for pubs

Costing the country hundreds of millions

14 cases today

'Awfully high' number... Not

Irish government are a subservient lapdog to the American dollar. Very weak leadership.

Well they won't be going to many pubs here unless they get food

How many countries in Europe still have their pubs closed?
    None.

So if I've got this right, we'll get a green list and your free to go to a country on it and roam around, go out for dinner and a few drinks or just a few drinks if you want, come home, no quarantine and go on as normal.

But you can't go to a pub here without a €9 meal.

Any logic there ?

The reality is once folks have a few drinks in them, social distancing is gone and as the voice levels rise so does the aerosol spread. With food and tables (or being outside) it does help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

is_that_so wrote: »
    The endgame is working vaccines and we can see those slowly beginning to emerge. Sure COVID zero would be great but just how long do you persist with it until you realise it can't be done?

To be honest I'm not holding my breath and pinning all my hopes on vaccination.

Obviously, there's been some encouraging signs and there's lots of ongoing work, but there's still no essential guarantee that one will be found and become available for mass production even inside the insanely optimistic time frame of six months, or even a year.

I'm not saying that it won't happen, but I think there needs to be an element of practical realism when talking about vaccines. They are still, at this moment, a bit of a Hail Mary solution. I detect a bit more acknowledgement of this creeping into coverage of the ongoing work.

I just wonder will the attitude towards taking a covid free approach soften if we are still on square one in 6 months or 12 months. It poses huge practical and political issues today. But I wonder how we'll all see things after a potentially dog rough Winter. The one thing we should all remember is that this period has taught us, if it has taught us anything, is that certainty and predictably are both very fallible. A lot of what would have seemed simply "impossible" in January have turned out to be anything but.

That's an absolute disgrace. No talk about that.

Deflection thats all, blame young people easier than to admit they have a clear problem with protecting our health service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

How on earth have we ended up in a situation where Fianna Fail are dictating policy again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

14 new cases - you'd think we were finding 100's a day the way MM is going

And all the media concentrate on is the 32 yesterday

• Advertisement

Independent reporting it also. 3 and a half more weeks.

Can't see the numbers changing dramatically by then. Then again we all know there's going to be more house parties now.

At least with house parties, the contract tracing is easier...

When pubs open (and it could be a regional thang) it would be good insist that folks have the tracking app installed?

M

I thought the publicans would have had the politicians in their pockets, clearly the world has gone completely mad.

D.Q wrote: »
    How on earth have we ended up in a situation where Fianna Fail are dictating policy again.

It's a novil virus it works in a misterious way even with political power's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And some prof on the news saying we are now in the second wave - ffs

M

fritzelly wrote: »
    And some prof on the news saying we are now in the second wave - ffs

Can't see any 2nd wave of deaths with the nursing homes now under control. They accounted for 65% of deaths.

How can you say that, when pubs haven't reopened yet? The food thing at least forces a table between folks...

D.Q wrote: »

Mehole is a headless turkey allowing tourists from Covid-19 hotspots wander around Ireland as they please, facilitating quick spread of cases. Meanwhile pubs which can monitor social distancing are bolted and house parties where no one gives a damn only encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Mícheál Martin just proved he's a political chicken

Cases well in control overall yet pushing back 3 weeks for pubs

Costing the country hundreds of millions

14 cases today

'Awfully high' number... Not

Good decision. Should make it easier/safer for schools to resume in September. Hopefully the next step will be sorting the issue with travel. Mandatory quarantine and then we can adopt the Zero Covid approach. This is what I think will happen and obviously people are frustrated but I think long term it would work out much better . Many scientists believe it can be done and as seen in Asia it the most viable approach as immunity with this virus looks to be very complicated. We all want normality but greater patience required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

They just couldn't allow a bank holiday weekend with pubs being open

They fear Bank Holidays like no other

Mícheál Martin and FF going to get this in the neck

Awful when you make Leo look good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Can't watch at the mo, but presumably he'll be asked about why travel from the US is allowed? The North seems reasonably on top of things, and I don't think they're our main concern re imported cases any more..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement