Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

schmoo2k wrote: »
    How can you say that, when pubs haven't reopened yet? The food thing at least forces a table between folks...

Pubs serving food have, has there been a single recorded case confirmed as being as a result of a visit to any of these venues by the circa hundreds of thousands of visits over the last few weeks? Sometimes statistics are dangerous when they don't suit an agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Arghus wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not holding my breath and pinning all my hopes on vaccination.

Obviously, there's been some encouraging signs and there's lots of ongoing work, but there's still no essential guarantee that one will be found and become available for mass production even inside the insanely optimistic time frame of six months, or even a year.

I'm not saying that it won't happen, but I think there needs to be an element of practical realism when talking about vaccines. They are still, at this moment, a bit of a Hail Mary solution. I detect a bit more acknowledgement of this creeping into coverage of the ongoing work.

I just wonder will the attitude towards taking a covid free approach soften if we are still on square one in 6 months or 12 months. It poses huge practical and political issues today. But I wonder how we'll all see things after a potentially dog rough Winter. The one thing we should all remember is that this period has taught us, if it has taught us anything, is that certainty and predictably are both very fallible. A lot of what would have seemed simply "impossible" in January have turned out to be anything but.
    I think they are going to find it much harder to point us out of this and I can't see a sign of any kind of a strategy. The PUP finishes in August as well. Most communications from this new government have been less supportive and more admonishing. You'd miss the greater approachibility of Harris and Varadkar. I also wonder where that €2500 sledgehammer is going to be swung next. It seems to be the only tool in the chest at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

wadacrack wrote: »
    Good decision. Should make it easier/safer for schools to resume in October. Hopefully the next step will be sorted the issue with travel. Mandatory quarantine and then we can adopt the Zero Covid approach. This is what I think will happen and obviously people are frustrated but I think long term it would work out much better . Many scientists believe it can be done and as seen in Asia it the most viable approach as immunity with this virus looks to be very complicated. We all want normality but greater patience required.

It's nothing to do with schools just political cowardice

The North is open and won't shut so this Zero Covid is a fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

owlbethere wrote: »
    Where's the sense in holding back phase 4 when they are allowing people in from hotpots to do as they please? The authorities are recommending self isolation instead of quarantine and the self isolation is not being adhered to. Where is the sense in holding back phase 4 while they are inviting potential covid19 cases into our country to mix with our population?

Also whay are they announcing it now? Its not for on the publicans who were planning on opening next week. There's been barrel deliveries already to some pubs in preparation for next week's opening. A smack in the face for publicans.

Classic "whataboutism". So you want pubs open so the tourists can go into them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

fritzelly wrote: »
    14 new cases - you'd think we were finding 100's a day the way MM is going

And all the media concentrate on is the 32 yesterday

Listening to the last word and when cooper read out just 14 new cases you could nearly sense the disappointment in his voice.the fear mongering going on is over the top.no thought of the mental damage that’s being done to the country as well as economically.plus he had Gerry Killeen on after his disappearance of the past few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Mehole is a headless turkey allowing tourists from Covid-19 hotspots wander around Ireland as they please, facilitating quick spread of cases. Meanwhile pubs which can monitor social distancing are bolted and house parties where no one gives a damn only encouraged.

You seem to think a pub is a bastion of looking out for peoples health, there not, once pubs open up normally start of the evening yes there will be social distancing, but lets face it the majority just want to get pissed and try getting people to do social distancing then. Your on a losing battle there.

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Well that's me totally f*cked (my work is wedding related)

I feel like we're being rode a little bit here tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Far play to the new government

Throw progress out the window over a small increase in cases that should have been expected the more we open up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    They just couldn't allow a bank holiday weekend with pubs being open

They fear Bank Holidays like no other

Mícheál Martin and FF going to get this in the neck

Awful when you make Leo look good

I'd say Varadkar knew what he was doing allowing Martin to go first as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The reality is once folks have a few drinks in them, social distancing is gone and as the voice levels rise so does the aerosol spread. With food and tables (or being outside) it does help.

What difference does a bowl of chicken wings costing 9 quid make to people talking and having the pint Olympics in 105 minutes.

Not seen social distancing gone in anywhere I've been in thats opened at part of phase 3.

So tell me what changes between now and 3 weeks time on August 10th with regards to anything you've mentioned ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Pubs look goosed, cant see how they can open them in 3 weeks. Numbers now are as good as it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Imagine this is a headline in 2020

Sickening we have regressed so far in such a short time

If they had spent the 9 quid on food then they’d be immune to coronavirus. Mad to think the cure is so simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭rodders999

Pubs No. Texans Yes.

Banana Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Listening to the last word and when cooper read out just 14 new cases you could nearly sense the disappointment in his voice.the fear mongering going on is over the top.no thought of the mental damage that’s being done to the country as well as economically.plus he had Gerry Killeen on after his disappearance of the past few weeks

Jesus, people are really stretching their credibility by jumping to such bizarre conclusions.

He read the number of deaths and new cases in a sombre tone, like he always does. And you take from that he'd disappointed about the numbers? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I thought the publicans would have had the politicians in their pockets, clearly the world has gone completely mad.

Well pubs were brought forward 3 weeks. Doubt not opening them would have made much difference but interesting that its now back to original date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are they doing a press briefing - or scurrying home after the news has been leaked

At least with house parties, the contract tracing is easier...

When pubs open (and it could be a regional thang) it would be good insist that folks have the tracking app installed?

Contact tracing at a house party is easier, are you being serious ??

You know in pubs / restaurants they ask you for your details and keep it for those reasons.

Someone on the door of the house party getting everyone's details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Was the rise in cases not attributed to that house party in Kerry, which means with pubs closed it encourages more house parties. Another illogical decision to go with the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is supposed to be a temporary measure and months is not temporary. It also shows that is not over nor looking like it's over.

Of course temporary can mean a number of months. It's any limited period of time i.e. Not permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

So is it just pubs and clubs that have to remain closed? What about cinemas or theatres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think some pubs will still open regardless of the setback, especially ones that have ordered stock in.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sanjuro wrote: »
    So is it just pubs and clubs that have to remain closed? What about cinemas or theatres?

Just pubs and nightclubs I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Same

Are they doing a press briefing - or scurrying home after the news has been leaked

Yep they are having a press briefing

Speak Now wrote: »
    Pubs look goosed, cant see how they can open them in 3 weeks. Numbers now are as good as it gets.

Say it's being extra cautious. They really need schools to open and non covid treatments resuming. If pubs opened and schools and treatments delayed there would be massive outcry. I can't see why pubs wouldn't open then unless things get much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pubs open in the North and no spikes there

Contact tracing at a house party is easier, are you being serious ??

You know in pubs / restaurants they ask you for your details and keep it for those reasons.

Someone on the door of the house party getting everyone's details?

You see this is the problem. Those who are in favour of keeping us restricted don't actually live in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think some pubs will still open regardless of the setback, especially ones that have ordered stock in.

That's what I think has been very unfair is the lack of clarity towards pubs as the date approached is pubs had to make plans and yet weren't getting official word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

there has to be more to this, it cant just be because of a small increase in numbers. I wonder is it to give them more breathing room to formulate proper guidelines for the pubs to reopen and the green list to be drawn up and more time to look at the airports maybe

Cant purely be down to the numbers.

Shin

RTE : The cabinet are discussing house parties.

How the fcuk do they think they can do anything there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Storm 10 wrote: »

They've been open in some European countries for over 2 months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Any thing of an update regarding this mythical green list next Monday?

Storm 10 wrote: »

I imagine they are doing good business from people crossing the border... and no contact tracing.

• Advertisement

céad míle fáilte to our american friends and a big f*ck you to john pub-owner in rural leitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

One of my colleagues was down in Dingle this weekend , he lives in Kerry. Said the place had a load of American tourists wandering around, all the locals on edge, couldnt enjoy a meal or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

House party nonsense is a red herring.

When the Vintners are using it as their main talking point to get pubs back open you know it's complete bollíx.

The pubs being open will not lead to less house parties, farcical dribble.

I don't think I went out for a session in my teens and 20s and didn't end up back at some sort of house gathering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Get one of the bishops to tell young people not to have house parties....

I am not even joking, this happened a month or so ago. Because the church is who they will listen to..

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1241758454529826817

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Cases are still low and they're trying to pull a fast one.

Fianna Fail at it again.

• Advertisement

shinzon wrote: »
    there has to be more to this, it cant just be because of a small increase in numbers. I wonder is it to give them more breathing room to formulate proper guidelines for the pubs to reopen and the green list to be drawn up and more time to look at the airports maybe

Cant purely be down to the numbers.

Shin

This says "The current guidance advising against non-essential overseas travel is due to be extended" so looks like green list will be delayed. Otherwise could hardly have green list and still advice to avoid non essential travel. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-pubs-to-stay-closed-until-august-10th-amid-new-push-on-face-masks-1.4305203?mode=amp

Maybe adopt the old East German approach; rat on your neighbours when they have a house party. I'll repeat it again, they are rapidly losing the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

There were 14 cases attributed to the kerry house party and there were 20 healthcare workers in the past few days. If you strip those out, there is pretty much no increase in cases.

I would feel very aggrieved seeing flights still coming in if I was a publican

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Of course temporary can mean a number of months. It's any limited period of time i.e. Not permanent.
    There needs to be a strategy to what they are up to. There is none apart from shout masks on and threaten to fine people. Now I know there are posters who want to mask up till the day they die but most of us would rather not. There need to be indicative timelines of the temporary nature of this and targets. At what level of cases do we forego masks?

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Any thing of an update regarding this mythical green list next Monday?

This says "The current guidance advising against non-essential overseas travel is due to be extended" so looks like green list will be delayed. Otherwise could hardly have green list and still advice to avoid non essential travel. https://www.irishtimes...s-1.4305203?mode=amp

Eod100 wrote: »
    This says "The current guidance advising against non-essential overseas travel is due to be extended" so looks like green list will be delayed. Otherwise could hardly have green list and still advice to avoid non essential travel. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-pubs-to-stay-closed-until-august-10th-amid-new-push-on-face-masks-1.4305203?mode=amp

Seriously? What has this government done since they came in to power except delay everything, even the masks on transport was in place with FG and it still took FF ages to sign off on it

I'm raging to be honest, haven't been this annoyed in a long time. And not even because I'm a drinker (I'm not a big drinker in the slightest) but because regular people's livelihoods are being destroyed while tourists can waltz around with f*ck all care in the world.

Nothing has been decided yet. Indoor is about the only thing they've said. That could be anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

Vicxas wrote: »
    Cases are still low and they're trying to pull a fast one.

Fianna Fail at it again.

I am not really sure ehat you think Fianna Fáil have tó gaín from tricking us away from the pubs for another few weeks?

Seriously? What has this government done since they came in to power except delay everything, even the masks on transport was in place with FG and it still took FF ages to sign off on it

Any chance the EU will come in and take over the governance of our country? Pretty please.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement