Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There were 14 cases attributed to the kerry house party and there were 20 healthcare workers in the past few days. If you strip those out, there is pretty much no increase in cases.

So if you ignore the increase in cases we have no increase in cases?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Vicxas wrote: »
    Cases are still low and they're trying to pull a fast one.

Fianna Fail at it again.

Boomer panic, typical of the whole response to this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sp00k

Sanjuro wrote: »
    So is it just pubs and clubs that have to remain closed? What about cinemas or theatres?

Cinemas have been open since 29th June, have they not? Not that there is anything to go see anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nothing has been decided yet. Indoor is about the only thing they've said. That could be anything.

So what, Cinemas will have to close down again? :pac:

What a shambollix of a Government...And it's not even a month old :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Christy42 wrote: »
    I am not really sure ehat you think Fianna Fáil have tó gaín from tricking us away from the pubs for another few weeks?

But they have a whole lot to lose. Already they have made Varadkar look like the greatest leader we ever had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Boggles wrote: »

If you ignore the numbers attributed to these it shows there is no material increase in occurrences of Covid in the community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There has been no change in positivity rate despite testing increased by 3 fold. I don't know what other evidence is needed to suggest there hasn't been an increase in cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eod100 wrote: »
    Say it's being extra cautious. They really need schools to open and non covid treatments resuming. If pubs opened and schools and treatments delayed there would be massive outcry. I can't see why pubs wouldn't open then unless things get much worse.
    At this stage you'd wonder will schools even open before October?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I'm raging to be honest, haven't been this annoyed in a long time. And not even because I'm a drinker (I'm not a big drinker in the slightest) but because regular people's livelihoods are being destroyed while tourists can waltz around with f*ck all care in the world.

I like going to the pub. But you’re 100% correct. It’s soul destroying seeing this happen to small businesses across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

What difference does a bowl of chicken wings costing 9 quid make to people talking and having the pint Olympics in 105 minutes.

Not seen social distancing gone in anywhere I've been in thats opened at part of phase 3.

So tell me what changes between now and 3 weeks time on August 10th with regards to anything you've mentioned ??

For one thing we will see where the numbers go over the next 3 weeks. (FWIW I would allow beer gardens to reopen now). But I do know for a fact that folks who have a few drinks in a pub / house situation will revert to hugs and no social distancing (and shouting loud to get over the music). 9 euro wings in a "restaurant" does seem to prevent that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Boomer panic, typical of the whole response to this pandemic.

Pretty silly reply.

I've seen it in pubs since phase 3 came in. There is no social distancing and people are getting just as drunk as before. No 9 quid's worth of food is stopping it.

If you ignore the numbers attributed to these it shows there is no material increase in occurrences of Covid in the community

:confused:

Isn't there around 30 new clusters in private homes the past few days?

Pandemic 101, don't ignore anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Probably see alcohol.sales being restricted per person in off licence aswell as curtailing off licence opening hours id say

14 cases out of 1 house party in kilarney,this cant continue

Easy enough to just go to multiple off licences/supermarkets, if they are that concerned about house parties then maybe they shouldn't be doing everything in their power to make sure they'll take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Then why on earth are we pushing a phase back 3 weeks

https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1283449299343376389?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Speak Now wrote: »
    Pubs look goosed, cant see how they can open them in 3 weeks. Numbers now are as good as it gets.

Agreed, we're likely going to see a rise in numbers over the next 2-3 weeks anyway.

It really does feel like an empty gesture from FF to the concerned Karens around Ireland. Hopefully it backfires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Yes its crap that pubs wont be opening but it would fit them better to put more energy into reopening schools at the end of August!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Contact tracing at a house party is easier, are you being serious ??

You know in pubs/ restaurants they ask you for your details and keep it for those reasons.

Someone on the door of the house party getting everyone's details?

I was at a restaurant for the first time and no one took my details (and pubs aren't open yet).

House parties the hosts know everyone?

There has been no change in positivity rate despite testing increased by 3 fold. I don't know what other evidence is needed to suggest there hasn't been an increase in cases.

Where has testing increased?

Has it increased 3 fold in the community?

Or has testing being ramped up in hospitals, care homes, etc?

Context is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

polesheep wrote: »
    Maybe adopt the old East German approach; rat on your neighbours when they have a house party. I'll repeat it again, they are rapidly losing the people.

Irish stasi

Where has testing increased?

Has it increased 3 fold in the community?

Or has testing being ramped up in hospitals, care homes, etc?

Context is key.
    It's fairly commonly reported that all nursing home residents and staff are being tested weekly for the next month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Then why on earth are we pushing a phase back 3 weeks

https://twitter.com/MaryERegan/status/1283449299343376389?s=19

Leo playing a blinder. He has gone up in my estimation.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    For one thing we will see where the numbers go over the next 3 weeks. (FWIW I would allow beer gardens to reopen now). But I do know for a fact that folks who have a few drinks in a pub / house situation will revert to hugs and no social distancing (and shouting loud to get over the music). 9 euro wings in a "restaurant" does seem to prevent that?

Utter crap, its the distancing, table service , no moving around the pub that prevents that not a €9 bowl of chicken wings. There's already music on in places, are the wings stopping me talking to people.

You're assuming here that everywhere that opens is opening without any of these measures in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

:confused:

Isn't there around 30 new clusters in private homes the past few days?

Pandemic 101, don't ignore anything.

How few cases do you think we should have before we move forward? The difference between 15 and 30 as a percentage of a 4.5m population is statistically insignificant

MOR316 wrote: »
    Pretty silly reply.

I've seen it in pubs since phase 3 came in. There is no social distancing and people are getting just as drunk as before. No 9 quid's worth of food is stopping it.

The increase in cases is due to a house party, not restaurants reopening. Pubs aren't even open, just restaurants and places doing food.

We have a government that no one actually wanted trying to find its feet after months of no government, so it seems that the utter ****show with our reopening is due to this. We are not isolated from Europe as we share a land border with the UK which has reopened. In any event, our numbers are not any better than other EU countries yet we have decided to go extra slow. It is just madness and highlights something wrong with our government situation.

It's fairly commonly reported that all nursing home residents and staff are being tested weekly for the next month

Has testing in the community increased 3 fold?

The cynic in me questions why we suddenly have a backlog in cases come through the day before a cabinet meeting..........

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Sorry what is going on here? There has to be something else...
    Every other EU county plus the UK have pubs open!
    This is farcical.

Has testing in the community increased 3 fold?
    Testing as a whole has increased due to nursing homes, contacts and the fact you'll be offered a test if you've a pain in your foot at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Publicans I know, many of whom have fully stocked their cold rooms in anticipation of opening next Monday are lost for words. A few have done full cash and carry orders too. This delay to August is going to wipe out already barely there pubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Think the pubs was the right decision.

It's hard to say whether there's a trend emerging of rising numbers, if there isn't we'll have greater understanding in three weeks and then the pubs can be opened, hopefully.

If there is a definite trend emerging of rising cases then it'd be absolutely stupid to throw open the doors of the pubs right at the moment numbers are on the rise. The very nature of pubs and their central role in Irish social life is bound to make them a contributing factor to further spread. A lot of people on here are in denial about this.

A bit of caution while there's uncertainty about the progression and spread of the virus at a delicate time is, on balance, better than just taking a chance - only to find out after the fact that it was a dumb move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Interestingly, death count is still low in Israel while the infection count is increasing.

The VFI are not happy to say the least

Neither are the LVA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

At last FF and MM had to make a decision. And this is what they do. But hey ho, after the drink driving debacle they had no choice lol.

So we are told not to travel abroad, not allowed to go for a drink (without food), must wear facemasks, and continue to allow Fat Jack from Dallas in to say hi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, they've been absolutely blindsided.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I was at a restaurant for the first time and no one took my details (and pubs aren't open yet).

House parties the hosts know everyone?

The host knows everyone ?? Have you been to a house party. Someone else invites someone else etc

Arghus wrote: »

It's hard to say whether there's a trend emerging of rising numbers, if there isn't we'll have greater understanding in three weeks and then the pubs can be opened, hopefully.

If there is a definite trend emerging of rising cases then it'd be absolutely stupid to throw open the doors of the pubs right at the moment numbers are on the rise. The very nature of pubs and their central role in Irish social life is bound to make them a contributing factor to further spread. A lot of people on here are in denial about this.

A bit of caution while there's uncertainty about the progression and spread of the virus at a delicate time is, on balance, better than just taking a chance - only to find out after the fact that it was a dumb move.

Cases were expected to rise but our government are bowing down to head cases in the NPHET who are purely concerned about eradicating the virus and not simply managing it. This disconnect between just flattening the curve and crushing it entirely appeared from a lack of a government backbone to actually take a position and say "actually, we need to reopen in line with other countries that have similarly suppressed the virus in the community".

It is a stereotype that the smartest and brightest go into the private sector but it is dramatically on show with respect to the handling of this crisis. Arts degrees and teachers running around like headless chickens in politics and the civil service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Renjit wrote: »
    Interestingly, death count is still low in Israel while the infection count is increasing.

The death count lags behind the infection count for several weeks. People get infected, but then die further on down the line.

Trump is sticking to the line that deaths have stayed low despite infection numbers in the US. That will change in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have absolutely no problem with pubs and clubs remaining closed . Although In my opinion it should then be logical to keep Americans out of the country .
    We need schools open so keeping numbers down is vital to do that . So if that means keeping pubs closed then so be it .
    Our children’s education is more important

• Advertisement

Testing as a whole has increased due to nursing homes, contacts and the fact you'll be offered a test if you've a pain in your foot at this stage

So that's a no, testing in the community has not increased 3 fold and the increase in testing is attributed to proactive testing of care facilities or mandatory testing if you need an operation, etc.

So the real figure to gauge how the virus is spreading in the community is, what is the positivity rate for community testing.

Higher than .3% i imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes we best wait for the magical vaccine :rolleyes:

The fact is this isn't going away for the next 3 years plus, it is not possible to bring the level to zero in this country, you simply control the risk while sustaining an economy and life. A better approach might be ban anyone over 55 visiting a pub if it's deaths and ICU visits you were worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I am getting a sort of vague feeling here that people really like pubs. Don't know. Could be wrong.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have absolutely no problem with pubs and clubs remaining closed . Although In my opinion it should then be logical to keep Americans out of the country .
    We need schools open so keeping numbers down is vital to do that . So if that means keeping pubs closed then so be it .
    Our children’s education is more important

A lot of people won't be able to afford to educate their children if they don't get back to work soon in pubs. I include myself in that

Vintners power is waning. Am not sad about that, but hope the bar workers continue to get their Covid payment.

Schools should be the priority for sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Any thing of an update regarding this mythical green list next Monday?

It is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

Dr Phillip Nolan confirmed a case from the USA on 29/6 and we still have Texans slobbering their saliva and mucous all over the place. (Texas 11,060 new cases yesterday and 285,772 cases overall)

Absolutely no signs of urgency as Irish businesses worry about having contact with them.

"Irish restauranteur JP McMahon wrote on Twitter that staff in his Galway restaurant Cava Bodega were "very uncomfortable" as a group of people from Texas dined in their restaurant.

"We have no way of knowing if they just arrived and should be self-quarantining," he wrote.

"We need a decision on this, particularly if people are coming from places with high cases.""

American tourists openly flouting Ireland's Covid-19 quarantine rules

• Advertisement

Vintners power is waning. Am not sad about that, but hope the bar workers continue to get their Covid payment.

Schools should be the priority for sure now.

Isn't the pup ending the same day the pubs are now reopening? What about the pubs that won't be able to afford to open now with the delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, they've been absolutely blindsided.

I think with the guidelines not out it would have raised some alarms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

RTE : The cabinet are discussing house parties.
    We are facing economic ruin and the cabinet discuss .......... house parties!

I have a wait and see perspective on this. It all depends what happens, if more and more people wear masks then it could exert its own form of social pressure on people to wear masks who otherwise wouldn't.

And give those who feel a little odd or self-conscious less reason to feel that way.

Masks will need to get a bit cheaper though. My local chemist is charging 12 euro for 10 masks. Far too dear.

No offence, but many Americans are prone to being rather LOUD and possibly could disperse aerosol infection.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement