Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,685 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And give those who feel a little odd or self-conscious less reason to feel that way.

Masks will need to get a bit cheaper though. My local chemist is charging 12 euro for 10 masks. Far too dear.

7 euro in Lidl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I have absolutely no problem with pubs and clubs remaining closed . Although In my opinion it should then be logical to keep Americans out of the country .
    We need schools open so keeping numbers down is vital to do that . So if that means keeping pubs closed then so be it .
    Our children’s education is more important

Not just Americans if that's the route you wish to go. It would have to be Brazilians, Mexicans, Indians, Russians, South Africans etc too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Assetbacked do not post in this thread again
    Was the rise in cases not attributed to that house party in Kerry, which means with pubs closed it encourages more house parties. Another illogical decision to go with the others.
    Boomer panic, typical of the whole response to this pandemic.
    The increase in cases is due to a house party, not restaurants reopening. Pubs aren't even open, just restaurants and places doing food.

We have a government that no one actually wanted trying to find its feet after months of no government, so it seems that the utter ****show with our reopening is due to this. We are not isolated from Europe as we share a land border with the UK which has reopened. In any event, our numbers are not any better than other EU countries yet we have decided to go extra slow. It is just madness and highlights something wrong with our government situation.
    Cases were expected to rise but our government are bowing down to head cases in the NPHET who are purely concerned about eradicating the virus and not simply managing it. This disconnect between just flattening the curve and crushing it entirely appeared from a lack of a government backbone to actually take a position and say "actually, we need to reopen in line with other countries that have similarly suppressed the virus in the community".

It is a stereotype that the smartest and brightest go into the private sector but it is dramatically on show with respect to the handling of this crisis. Arts degrees and teachers running around like headless chickens in politics and the civil service.

One week ban

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

How few cases do you think we should have before we move forward? The difference between 15 and 30 as a percentage of a 4.5m population is statistically insignificant
    Somewhere between 15 and 30 households, which means usually 2+ people and you must also factor in their close contacts (work, social, extended family) and their casual contacts (people in restaurants and shops they visited, public transport they used, at house parties they attended etc).

30 clusters could include anywhere from 30 people to the entire country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

And give those who feel a little odd or self-conscious less reason to feel that way.

Masks will need to get a bit cheaper though. My local chemist is charging 12 euro for 10 masks. Far too dear.

Dunnes have 20 for €15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think with the guidelines not out it would have raised some alarms
    Which is why I said they should have done it last week. Spanks of a lack of planning. This really is a political call and they know enough about NPHET "concerns" at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not just Americans if that's the route you wish to go. It would have to be Brazilians, Mexicans, Indians, Russians, South Africans etc too
    Some of them may be coming for work - essential travel or returning to their legal residency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

is_that_so wrote: »
    Which is why I said they should have done it last week. Spanks of a lack of planning. This really is a political call and they know enough about NPHET "concerns" at this stage.

Last week they were far too busy talking about Barry Cowen.

Why the fúck we let FF back into power I'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes we best wait for the magical vaccine :rolleyes:

The fact is this isn't going away for the next 3 years plus, it is not possible to bring the level to zero in this country, you simply control the risk while sustaining an economy and life. A better approach might be ban anyone over 55 visiting a pub if it's deaths and ICU visits you were worried about.

It's too early to say whether we're seeing a change in the pattern of the spread of the virus. But numbers of positive cases certainly aren't falling - that's a fact.

So, now is not the time to be throwing open the doors of all pubs. When they are EXACTLY the type of establishments that will contribute to any potential spread. Piles of ye are deep in denial about this.

We all know if the pubs open on Monday, then the following weekend and after would end up as an absolute free for all: there'd be no fcks given. And that's a potentially disastrous outcome.

Wait a few weeks, see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Mallorca has mandated mask wearing in public for everyone over the age of six, exceptions :- medical reasons, at the beach or when playing sports, Social distancing rules are also advised.

This is how Brits do it when the pubs are open.

And the result... Mallorca closes Magaluf party strip

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

What a disgrace.

This country is on its knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Be right back

Dunnes have 20 for €15.

Or they sell 5 for a fiver, reusable ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mallorca has mandated mask wearing in public for everyone over the age of six, exceptions :- medical reasons, at the beach or when playing sports, Social distancing rules are also advised.

This is how Brits do it when the pubs are open.

And the result... Mallorca closes Magaluf party strip

:pac:

Lol.

I said it 2 weeks ago, no way that place would have been left open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Do they will definitely stock up on those.

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Often wondered why so many Brazilians come here. Well to learn English I suppose lol.

Lisbon would probably suit them better, EU and same lingo all that. Just wondered if there is a secret code that I know nothing about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think the 5 for €5 are disposable masks

Arghus wrote: »
    It's too early to say whether we're seeing a change in the pattern of the spread of the virus. But numbers of positive cases certainly aren't falling - that's a fact.

So, now is not the time to be throwing open the doors of all pubs. When they are EXACTLY the type of establishments that will contribute to any potential spread. Piles of ye are deep in denial about this.

We all know if the pubs open on Monday, then the following weekend and after would end up as an absolute free for all: there'd be no fcks given. And that's a potentially disastrous outcome.

Wait for what though? A vaccine in 3 weeks?
    What will be different 3 weeks from now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

ZX7R wrote: »
    Irish stasi

Schtasi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d love to know what the actual thinking and strategy is at the moment. I’m very much ok with a slow reopening but I’m just not sure what the strategy is at the moment.

Get the number down as low as possible, ok that makes sense, but how low? Lack of Travel restrictions make it clear that the goal is not zero. If you don’t regulate something (infected people coming into Ireland) then your goal is not zero. So what is the acceptable baseline we are going to come to? I presume we are working off the presumption that this is gonna be around for awhile , so what’s the plan?

Also, I do wonder if maybe the pubs are taking a hit to prevent any surges before children go back to school. I understand why they would be strategically more conservative now because I think most would agree that children going back to school is possibly the most important economical and social factor we need to make Happen. If there is a surge in cases in mid August, it could panic parents and schools may not be able to open for the new term.

I’m not sure what the strategy is to be honest. The mixed messages with regards to tourism is not helping.

• Advertisement

Wait for what though? A vaccine in 3 weeks?
    What will be different 3 weeks from now?

Eh, three weeks from now you have a clearer picture of the effects of opening up in phase three? Right now they aren't sure.

I would have thought that was obvious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seems to me that there might be a bit of a frenzy when the pubs eventually open, but after a week or so, it will all die down.

Pubs do not have many windows, not much circulation of air, and relatively little outside space. That's a pity isn't it? Outside better than inside but many smaller pubs just cannot do it. Councils should allow tables on the pavements or on one side of the road or something, feck the weather, it is done in many Northern European countries and they are not known for lots of sunshine. Some such compromise is now necessary. But councils won't do it. I know about the closure of certain streets in Dublin at weekends to facilitate this, but there is no way I'd venture in at night time for the foreseeable. I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’d love to know what the actual thinking and strategy is at the moment. I’m very much ok with a slow reopening but I’m just not sure what the strategy is at the moment.

Get the number down as low as possible, ok that makes sense, but how low? Lack of Travel restrictions make it clear that the goal is not zero. If you don’t regulate something (infected people coming into Ireland) then your goal is not zero. So what is the acceptable baseline we are going to come to? I presume we are working off the presumption that this is gonna be around for awhile , so what’s the plan?

Also, I do wonder if maybe the pubs are taking a hit to prevent any surges before children go back to school. I understand why they would be strategically more conservative now because I think most would agree that children going back to school is possibly the most important economical and social factor we need to make Happen. If there is a surge in cases in mid August, it could panic parents and schools may not be able to open for the new term.

I’m not sure what the strategy is to be honest. The mixed messages with regards to tourism is not helping.

This is exactly it. If there was a coherent plan to get the numbers as low as possible as quickly as possible it would be understandable. Instead we have this weird blend of harsh restrictions on some sectors while allowing free travel from virus hotspots. Combined with the lack of clear communication from government it's easy to see why people are confused and frustrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Eh, three weeks from now you have a clearer picture of the effects of opening up in phase three? Right now they aren't sure.

Why wait until this late to do it if it was so obvious. I thought the 3 weeks between phases was supposed to be enough time to see a trend, is it now 6 weeks.

They have all the data they need.

The decision should have been obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I honestly think today's decision was a kneejerk reaction to yesterday's figure.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what it is either. I'm not defending the government in every regard. But I do think delaying the pubs reopening was correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's too early to say whether we're seeing a change in the pattern of the spread of the virus.

The pattern has changed, the majority of the spread is now in the community.
    The number of clusters or outbreaks of Covid-19 reported in private households increased by 96, in the week to last Sunday, according to the latest figures from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre...Just three clusters for the same period were reported in nursing homes

The 0.3% positive rate is a somewhat false figure.

Proactive testing has been ramped up in care homes, hospitals, medical centers, etc.

The real figure which I'm sure NPHET have is community testing positive rate.

The reality is they didn't recommend against phase 4 opening for the craic, they see something they don't like and I imagine it is the positivity rate in the community.

Again all these infections took place up 14 days ago or beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

So they panic with the surge when pubs reopen AND kids are back at school? With the bonus that a load of extra kids are infected too? I'm not sure that's an improvement..
    Waiting the month re the pubs only seems strategically sound if they take serious steps to stop importing the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭gipi

Boggles wrote: »
    Where has testing increased?

Has it increased 3 fold in the community?

Or has testing being ramped up in hospitals, care homes, etc?

Context is key.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ec6N3a_XYAAiV8g?format=png&name=small

Taken from Twitter, it shows the breakdown between hospital / non-hospital test figures (presume nursing homes, etc fall into the non-hospital list?)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

I thought the publicans would have had the politicians in their pockets, clearly the world has gone completely mad.

Multiple posts over the last few weeks expressing the same sentiment all clearly wrong.If i was a publican i would be pointing the finger at the vintners chief executive he was completely ineffectual you would be forgiven for thinking that he was representing NPHET rather than his members.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

One of my colleagues was down in Dingle this weekend , he lives in Kerry. Said the place had a load of American tourists wandering around, all the locals on edge, couldnt enjoy a meal or anything.

God help the Americans when they start going around Dublin like that

We tend to be a lot more blunt in the capital

Proactive testing has been ramped up in care homes, hospitals, medical centers, etc.

The reality is they didn't recommend against phase 4 opening for the craic, they see something they don't like and I imagine it is the positivity rate in the community.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In Dunnes too?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No green list due for Monday now either. Being pushed out again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Today a stark reminder that we need to try the new Covid approach as seen in New Zealand.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think the 5 for €5 are disposable masks

These are the ones I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I can book a flight over to London which is riddled, for 15 quid, get plastered in the pub then come back again. Absolutely bonkers.

Has the government made any decision on flights incoming from Covid hot spots, forced quarantine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Summer is over!! Christ 2020 needs to F**k right off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Seriously............ this is a joke now surely

• Advertisement

These are the ones I got.

In Dunnes?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    In Dunnes?

Yep, Dunnes.

They have all the data they need.

The decision should have been obvious.

You mean the data that shows an average increase in the rate of daily positive cases and a rising R number? That data?

What would your suggestion be? Ignore that information and just go for it? Sure, if it's the wrong approach - what are the consequences, right?

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why wait until this late to do it if it was so obvious. I thought the 3 weeks between phases was supposed to be enough time to see a trend, is it now 6 weeks.

But, there is a trend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

I don't disagree with the decision, but just a little sickened at the damage it's doing. I'm a musician, already hard enough for small bands to find decent pub venues to play, how few will there be left whenever life does get to return to normal? Just desperately sad.

We cant open pubs at this rate???

Are they actually nuts?

This is obscene

They are deluded

Whered you hear this?

Can we get an election anytime soon and get rid of this shower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

With such low numbers confirmed for the past few weeks and still deaths being listed is concerning.

Is it just pubs not opening, what else was phase 4, cinemas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Of course they didn't do it for the craic but they will always recommend locking down. I'm sure they would recommend phase 1 if they could.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement