Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I was in Dingle Monday, passed through early, did the Slea head drive and the plan was to come back for lunch and a walk around. Well the crowds on the street were so bad, I just kept going. I actually felt so sad that I kept to all the rules, hadn't set foot outside Limerick county for months, and then when I finally get to Kerry it just felt unsafe.
    And I know that technically I was a tourist too but the people I saw were very obviously American and English tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

US2 wrote: »
    I can book a flight over to London which is riddled, for 15 quid, get plastered in the pub then come back again. Absolutely bonkers.

Well go ahead then.
    You can also buy alcohol in off-licences, supermarkets and a lot of service stations.
    It's not like people are being deprived of alcohol, just a delay on opening pubs.
    Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

US2 wrote: »
    I can book a flight over to London which is riddled, for 15 quid, get plastered in the pub then come back again. Absolutely bonkers.

On your bike then. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I honestly think today's decision was a kneejerk reaction to yesterday's figure.

Well that's the only reason that I can think might have delayed the reopening but yourself and others(very much appreciate btw) have gone below the daily headline numbers and shown the trends and how a number of cases on one day isn't telling the whole picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

With such low numbers confirmed for the past few weeks and still deaths being listed is concerning.
    Bear in mind the average age of those who have died and the likely comorbidities. Some of them could have been sick for quite some time.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    You mean the data that shows an average increase in the rate of daily positive cases and a rising R number? That data?

What would your suggestion be? Ignore that information and just go for it? Sure, if it's the wrong approach - what are the consequences, right?

You realise we doubled the number of tests we are carrying out?

Numbers increased very slightly. 11 on Monday, 14 today. Possibly 18 yesterday without the backlog added.

I can’t see it possibly been different in 3 weeks. Maybe we should just wait for the vaccine? Or our resources to run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You mean the data that shows an average increase in the rate of daily positive cases and a rising R number? That data?

What would your suggestion be? Ignore that information and just go for it? Sure, if it's the wrong approach - what are the consequences, right?

You relaise how R works yes ?? Drop a cluster of cases into it on a low data set and it rockets. That cluster of 15 in Killarney would have sent it through the roof.

Likewise the Sligo and Leitrim clusters.

As Prof Nolan said time and time again R is now not accurate as a measure of spread in the country.

As for the increase in cases, 6000+ extra tests per day finding on average 10 extra cases.

See where I'm going with this ?? So we do 6k extra tests, find on average 10 extra cases and say put the breaks on reopening, for what exactly.

Did you really think that opening up would see us staying at under 10 cases per day ??

So what changes in 3 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Is there any confirmation they are dumping the green list? If so Im done with this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is it just pubs not opening, what else was phase 4, cinemas?

Cinemas were phase 3.

Most of the summer movies have been moved to the autumn though.

They operate at low capacity anyway so shouldn't have a problem reopening, apart from lack of stuff to show.

Seriously............ this is a joke now surely

was mentioned on RTE, hadn't been confirmed but the usual 'government sources'

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Bear in mind the average age of those who have died and the likely comorbidities. Some of them could have been sick for quite some time.

And their age makes it ok? Doesn't matter that they might have lived longer without virus, just that their time should be up?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Is there any confirmation they are dumping the green list? If so Im done with this country.

Where do you plan to emigrate to, out of interest?

Where do you plan to emigrate to, out of interest?

To an EU state that has EU values.

We are in blatant breach of the law here, I hope the EU shut down this horrendous government.

actually there's 2 casions open in the town I live in since last week and they weren't supposed to be open until Monday so at this point I've no idea who's supposed to be open and when

Bye bye. Good life wherever you settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

niallo27 wrote: »
    Of course they didn't do it for the craic but they will always recommend locking down. I'm sure they would recommend phase 1 if they could.

Nonsense. We were suppose to have 5 phases, they gave their blessing to a reduction to 4.

They were more than happy to recommend phase 1, 2, and 3.

The only issue they had was shopping centers.

There is a reason pubs are the last thing to open and it's not because NPHET are big meanies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

No not officially yet. Dunno will there be an announcement for this tonight, Friday or at all. Hasn't been a delay in phases yet so hard to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm raging to be honest, haven't been this annoyed in a long time. And not even because I'm a drinker (I'm not a big drinker in the slightest) but because regular people's livelihoods are being destroyed while tourists can waltz around with f*ck all care in the world.

I'd say alot more businesses won't reopen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

But, there is a trend?

14 cases today, its been very stable, we were told to expect a rise in cases but when it actually happens they panic. 14 cases today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

To an EU state that has EU values.

We are in blatant breach of the law here, I hope the EU shut down this horrendous government.

Which law are we breaching?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think it's all about getting the schools back safely with low infection stats. Makes sense for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

That would seem strange. What are the odds of mostly people with underlying heath issues getting infected to cause deaths with low confirmed cases.

3 weeks ago we were averaging 20 cases a day. I’ve seen that on average people who died were were confirmed positive around 2 to 3 weeks before.

I don’t know how consistent the numbers are but based on numbers available it would be 2 people out of 20 confirmed will die.

Deaths you would think would be 1 in a 500 or 500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I can see people starting to turn violent against the youths holding the house parties and to the American tourists as well, watch this space for newspaper reports.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Vicxas wrote: »
    Cases are still low and they're trying to pull a fast one.

Fianna Fail at it again.
    Last week they were far too busy talking about Barry Cowen.

Why the fúck we let FF back into power I'll never know.
    Whered you hear this?

Can we get an election anytime soon and get rid of this shower?

Sinn Fein are in agreement with the move so don't expect a change if we had a new government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That would seem strange. What are the odds of mostly people with underlying heath issues getting infected to cause deaths with low confirmed cases.

3 weeks ago we were averaging 20 cases a day. I’ve seen that on average people who died were were confirmed positive around 2 to 3 weeks before.

I don’t know how consistent the numbers are but based on numbers available it would be 2 people out of 20 confirmed will die.

Deaths you would think would be 1 in a 500 or 500
    Some cases can take quite a long time until people unfortunately succumb to it and we don't really know here. I have seen more than a month mentioned. Also the CMO has never given details with such very low numbers in case they can be identified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Bye bye. Good life wherever you settle.
    Can you provide figures that back up the push back of phase 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I can see people starting to turn violent against the youths holding the house parties and to the American tourists as well, watch this space for newspaper reports.

It isn't just youths having house parties :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Sanjuro wrote: »
    So is it just pubs and clubs that have to remain closed? What about cinemas or theatres?

It looks like a lot of cinemas, theatres and gyms etc that were waiting for the 50 people indoor rule to increase to 100 will now also remain closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Would the fact that the president of the United States has a golfing resort here have anything to do with the fact we are allowing everyone in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Well go ahead then.
    You can also buy alcohol in off-licences, supermarkets and a lot of service stations.
    It's not like people are being deprived of alcohol, just a delay on opening pubs.
    Get over it.

na never said i was going to, just that I could. Im off on holidays on the 27th of this month , I'm sure I'll survive until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Would the fact that the president of the United States has a golfing resort here have anything to do with the fact we are allowing everyone in?

No.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,684 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Briefing on now

Some cases can take quite a long time until people unfortunately succumb to it and we don't really know here. I have seen more than a month mentioned. Also the CMO has never given details with such very low numbers in case they can be identified.

I know. That’s why I highlighted confirm numbers 3 weeks ago if you take 3-4 week average to succumb to the virus.

I would be good for all of us if the HSE supplied back stories to current confirmed and deaths so we could learn from them.

I know that wouldn’t be practical for large volumes, but with low numbers it would be useful.

MM - R above 1, something to worry about FFS

• Advertisement

OMG this guy is the most pathetic Taoiseach i have seen in my life

He is manipulating the numbers and taking this country for jokers.

I have never been more disgusted.

fritzelly wrote: »
    MM - R above 1, something to worry about FFS

I actually cannot believe what I am hearing. He is actually so uneducated. It is an insult he is our leader.

Masks in shops, including staff except where there is a partition

Id love to hear this evidence???? is he talking about posts on twitter and whatsapp. This is disgusting

Maximum of 10 people to visit a house from a maximum of 4 households

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Green list being published Monday

Green list coming on the 20th July

Martin stating basically outbreaks in pubs in other countries was the reason behind pushing out phase 4.

Also saying cases have grown to worrying levels, they always said cases would grow.

This is actually taking the p1iss

The most depressing depressing speech i have heard in my life. Shoot me now.

Leo please push now.

I actually cannot believe what I am hearing. He is actually so uneducated. It is an insult he is our leader.

Uneducated in what?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Whehey!

I was in a hotel gastro bar over the weekend and I was shocked at the lack of adherence to the given safety measures issued by the government upon re opening.

There were a group of 7 people standing drinking pints together at two tall tables to the left of us. There were no proper safety screens in place at the bars, excluding a small window placed behind the cash register hardly call it a screen I know these arnt compulsory but god look after your staff. There were people ordering pints up at the bar also, no table service I saw where the barman brings the pint down to you. I got no name or number taken for contact tracing either which I only realised once I left?

I mean, I dunno some places will comply and others wont. In a way I'm not surprised it's been push backed but I do feel for the publicans who will go by the book and look after its staff and customers.

And I 100% feel they should have put a ban on Americans entering the country for the time being..

The most depressing depressing speech i have heard in my life. Shoot me now.

Leo please push now.

Can't say this enough times, Sinn Fein are in agreement with the decision.

The green list is being still published, you actually couldn't make this up.

You can go to a bar in a green list country, wander around wherever, come home, no quarantine but no pub.

This country is some joke

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Martin stating basically outbreaks in pubs in other countries was the reason behind pushing out phase 4.

Also saying cases have grown to worrying levels, they always said cases would grow.

This is actually taking the p1iss

What countries?

Uneducated in what?
    He quoted the R number for such a minuscule number of cases. Which we all know is irrelevant. Jesus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement