Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He specifically identified overseas travel as an issue yet isn't doing anything concrete about it. How long until we get rid of this gobshíte?

I get that cancelling flights altogether isn't an option and I personally wouldn't like to see it but surely we can stop tourism for a while. Other countries seem capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stheno wrote: »
    What countries?

Didn't say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,684 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Stheno wrote: »
    What countries?

It's a secret

masks to be mandatory but mentioned as expected no date set, legislation required

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Didn't say

What a surprise

I'm really pissed off at the lack of control over tourists coming in

He quoted the R number for such a minuscule number of cases. Which we all know is irrelevant. Jesus.

A low R number based off low cases will rocket when you drop a cluster in. It basic stuff, christ only last week Prof Nolan said it wasn't an accurate measure anymore.

Its so basic, another example, Germany, low R, drop a meat plant cluster in and rises to near 3, guess what it dropped right back. Its simple stuff, add a large number into a low sample set you get bigger growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This thread used to be the sensible one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The green list is being still published, you actually couldn't make this up.

You can go to a bar in a green list country, wander around wherever, come home, no quarantine but no pub.

This country is some joke

If you go to a country with practically zero Covid-19, then it simply isn't a risk or an issue.

The question of whether Irish pubs should open or not is a different one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

So in the press briefing, Micheal Martin acknowledged the widespread concern about tourism from hotspots but his only response is more communication at airports and more people ringing to check if people are quarantining. That is a pathetic response.

To put it bluntly, there is a large portion of the American population who don't give a damn about COVID and will travel around the country no matter how many forms they fill out at the airport. Tourism from America needs to be cancelled until they are no longer a COVID basket case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

The most depressing depressing speech i have heard in my life. Shoot me now.

Leo please push now.

He's the Tanaiste and FG in government with FF. You'd swear he had retired or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The confirmed infection rate up to 3.9 per 100,000 from 2.5 a fortnight ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Arghus wrote: »

Can you back up the governments decision with figures?

This feels more like a talking to than a press briefing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

masks to be mandatory but mentioned as expected no date set, legislation required

Genuine question.
    Were would banks and credit unions stand with mandatory face coverings.
    They could definitely require legislation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

TBH I don't really understand fact that pubs aren't allowed to open.
    In fairness it was a hospital pass to Michael Martin. They sped up the opening now he has to deal with slowing it.

I get a funny feeling we'll see a spike in numbers. That way we can all go. Wow they were right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The former Minister for the smoking ban, and is heading the same way re pubs. I hope his local the Silver Key down Ballinlough way is mightily impressed.

We call him the Altar Boy. LOL.

The only issue I have is the dictat to us here about not going abroad, wearing masks and so on, but dithering and not giving a reciprocal message to tourists allowed in. Terrified of offending anyone I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ZX7R wrote: »
    They could definitely require legislation

Why, I don't think there's anything illegal about wearing one into such a place. I had a call with a manager and mentioned that it must be odd looking at people come in wearing masks and he said he gets a few but not many. Many cash desks are closed anyway apart from a few in some of the larger branches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf it was clear since the start that a certain very vocal selection of people have a major alcohol dependency. This is traumatic for them.

Martin suggesting that phase 4 will go ahead on 10th August. He seems fairly confident of it.

So if case numbers are still the same in 3 weeks time what on earth will be different then from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Myself and the elite will travel to Brussels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have to say that mask requirement message was a complete muddle. Look forward to regulations making actual sense of it.

Every bar becomes a restaurant come Monday - wait and see

Can you back up the governments decision with figures?

It's on NPHET's advice though. If it was the right thing to go ahead with all the measures up to now I don't think they would delay unless they felt there justification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I can see people starting to turn violent against the youths holding the house parties and to the American tourists as well, watch this space for newspaper reports.

Without doubt. Its one of my biggest fears at present.

Curtain twitching vigilante gangs roaming the country breaking into houses full of young lads to give them a bit of a trimming.

They wouldn't stand a chance

MM - meeting in Brussels is essential - never heard of zoom
    Avoids the question of isolation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Martin suggesting that phase 4 will go ahead on 10th August.

So if case numbers are still the same in 3 weeks time what on earth will be different then from now.

Well ideally people would heed restrictions and not have covid house parties and numbers wouldn't be the same?

Unreal, Gardai can't even break up house parties
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1283472369068183553?s=19

the current trajectory. Is he deluded???? the current trajectory is flat you gombeen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

pjohnson wrote:
    Tbf it was clear since the start that a certain very vocal selection of people have a major alcohol dependency. This is traumatic for them.

Snide remarks add nothing to the debate either

fritzelly wrote: »
    Every bar becomes a restaurant come Monday - wait and see
    I did read a post where someone said a pub was using a local café to supply the food. Nice symbiosis!

• Advertisement

Stephen Donelly and MM on the plint, it is a disgrace.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well ideally people would heed restrictions and not have covid house parties and numbers wouldn't be the same?

House parties have always been going on throughout. If anything this will increase them.

So you think an average of 20 cases a day at the moment give or take is high?
    Get used to case numbers around this number because they aren't going anywhere for a while. If theres 20 cases a day in 3 weeks time it looks like we'll go ahead anyway with phase 4

MM - meeting in Brussels is essential - never heard of zoom
    Avoids the question of isolation
    Sometimes you need to be in the room!

A journalist finally asks a question on R and the low numbers of cases meaning it rises

The secondary CMO looks rattled, much less confident than he was before.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So in the press briefing, Micheal Martin acknowledged the widespread concern about tourism from hotspots but his only response is more communication at airports and more people ringing to check if people are quarantining. That is a pathetic response.

To put it bluntly, there is a large portion of the American population who don't give a damn about COVID and will travel around the country no matter how many forms they fill out at the airport. Tourism from America needs to be cancelled until they are no longer a COVID basket case.

I emailed three of my local TDs about this
    The only one who replied was the FF TD and he said a lot of people were contacting him about American tourists coming In

I cannot understand the logic of keeping the pubs shut while allowing 250 odd travellers from the US in each day

Its infuriating, what happens if in three weeks we see tourist related clusters around the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

No it didn't.

Nolan challenged about the R number - admits there is uncertainty around it
    Even tho its being used as a stick

It shows that it will be very difficult if not impossible to have regional, county or local restrictions if needed. Would think otherwise pubs in rural areas may be able to open but then people could just travel from other areas so very difficult to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

is_that_so wrote: »
    I did read a post where someone said a pub was using a local café to supply the food. Nice symbiosis!

Vaughans in Terenure are using the Chinese takeaway next door to supply food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

House parties have always been going on throughout. If anything this will increase them.

So you think an average of 20 cases a day at the moment give or take is high?
    Get used to case numbers around this number.

110 get diagnosed with cancer on an average day.

But not any more! Cancer is now deemed an irrelevant illness

House parties, house parties, house parties

Guessing he never got an invite to one and he's pissed off now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

House parties, house parties, house parties

Guessing he never got an invite to one and he's pissed off now

Lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't particularly care if pubs are opening or not, so I don't really get the outrage. But I don't think the government have done a great job at communicating why they've reached this decision. I'd understand if there was a surge in cases, but there hasn't been one.

Glynn saying 40-50 people have been linked to clusters recently from residential gatherings, yeah we all know what they are

• Advertisement

MM - we're planning to talk about inbound travel next week, but we've already decided the form should be online

Glynn saying 40-50 people have been linked to clusters recently

Well between Sligo and the house party in Kerry that's over 30 alone!

So 2 big clusters over half the total cases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Martin suggesting that phase 4 will go ahead on 10th August. He seems fairly confident of it.

If daily numbers of new cases stay a the current level for 3 weeks would it not be considered a spike and a new plateau then after

4 cases from people who travelled from the USA in 6 weeks

6 cases from this hystericial media outrage in 6 weeks, OMG

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement