Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Finally a reporter asks about mandatory quarantine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Polar101 wrote: »
    I don't particularly care if pubs are opening or not, so I don't really get the outrage. But I don't think the government have done a great job at communicating why they've reached this decision. I'd understand if there was a surge in cases, but there hasn't been one.

A lot of the outrage is over the incoherence and general air of incompetence surrounding it all. The government have spent the last couple of weeks dealing with infighting and scandal (who could have possibly seen that coming with FF?) and now, a few days before pubs were supposed to reopen with preparations no doubt well underway by plenty of pub owners, they decide to do a u-turn on the reopening. On top of that, they highlight overseas travel as a concern yet decide to do nothing about it. Imagine how hearing that feels to a pub owner who was getting ready to open next week?

It's an incoherent shambles.

More use of masks is a good idea though, I'll give them that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,684 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

4 cases from people who travelled from the USA in 6 weeks

4 cases where people had symptoms and got tested - we don't know how many asymptomatic cases there was

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

fritzelly wrote: »
    MM - we're planning to talk about inbound travel next week, but we've already decided the form should be online

Christ almighty, can we arrange to send him on a prioritisation for dummies course?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stheno wrote: »
    Well between Sligo and the house party in Kerry that's over 30 alone!

So 2 big clusters over half the total cases

Basically yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can you back up the governments decision with figures?

Doctor Glynn said there in the briefing that the confirmed infection rate is up to 3.9 per 100,000 from 2.5 a fortnight ago. Every other time we went from phase to phase that number was decreasing, not increasing.

Okay, you might say that is down to increased testing, but it's hard to say definitively if we're starting to see a trend emerging or not about the spread of the virus in the community as a result of phases opening and people moving about in greater numbers and in general being much more lax then they were a few weeks ago.

So given that uncertainty, would you not think it's a sensible approach to wait until the infection rate has stabilised or is even declining before you decide to plough ahead with opening up the pubs - where you can guarantee close contact between people, plenty of shouting and roaring into each other's faces and a drink fueled complete lack of social distancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

6 cases from this hystericial media outrage in 6 weeks, OMG

The hysterical outrage that would make Bull McCabe so proud is driven by social media and forums like this, not the media

MM - we're planning to talk about inbound travel next week, but we've already decided the form should be online

Good thing you can't catch or spread covid19 if you've filled in an online form eh?! Wish we had thought of it sooner!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Arghus wrote: »
    Doctor Glynn said there in the briefing that the confirmed infection rate is up to 3.9 per 100,000 from 2.5 a fortnight ago. Every other time we went from phase to phase that number was decreasing, not increasing.

Okay, you might say that is down to increased testing, but it's hard to say definitively if we're starting to see a trend emerging or not about the spread of the virus in the community as a result of phases opening and people moving about in greater numbers and in general being much more lax them they were a few weeks ago.

So given that uncertainty, would you not think it's a sensible approach to wait until the infection rate has stabilised or is even declining before you decide to plough ahead with opening up the pubs - where you can guarantee close contact between people, plenty of shouting and roaring into each other's faces and a drink fueled complete lack of social distancing.
    Do you agree with the policy of letting anyone from anywhere into the country with no restrictions?

Most cautious country with travel - mehole

• Advertisement

Most cautious country with travel - mehole

What a pile of crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

If some people jut learned how to behave themselves around alcohol we wouldn't have this problem of pubs remaining closed for another few more weeks. Some people wouldn't go home from the pub until they are dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

4 cases where people had symptoms and got tested - we don't know how many asymptomatic cases there was

But those people mightn't even have been Americans, could easily have been Irish.

MM's point is that Ireland cannot simply shut down air travel for the next 12 months.....we don't even have a land border with anyone, bar NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

9 out of every 10 cases of Covid diagnosed here are domestic according to Stephen Donnelly...yet we’ve a massive propaganda campaign about the ‘dangers’ and ‘concerns’ of travel for the last 2 weeks forcing families to lose hundred and thousands of their hard earned money. They literally contradict themselves at every turn.

Strazdas wrote: »
    But those people mightn't even have been Americans, could easily have been Irish.

MM's point is that Ireland cannot simply shut down air travel for the next 12 months.....we don't even have a land border with anyone, bar NI.

Doesn't matter nationality - coming from America they are an high risk

Martin suggesting that phase 4 will go ahead on 10th August. He seems fairly confident of it.

So if case numbers are still the same in 3 weeks time what on earth will be different then from now.

If the case numbers are the same in three weeks it would suggest strongly that there's been no further deterioration on account of phase three. Things will have stabilised.

Which is a different situation to where we are now, where case numbers are higher than where they were three weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

owlbethere wrote: »
    If some people jut learned how to behave themselves around alcohol we wouldn't have this problem of pubs remaining closed for another few more weeks. Some people wouldn't go home from the pub until they are dry.

Some is the key word there. The actions of some shouldn't dictate the policy.

A lot of people routinely go to the pub for a few pints and go home with no fuss.

We know there is problem drinking and by extension problem drinkers, but you're able to be sensible in a pub environment as well.

Do you agree with the policy of letting anyone from anywhere into the country with no restrictions?

No. Why would I? I think it's a disaster waiting to happen. They should be rectifying it ASAP.

Doesn't matter nationality - coming from America they are an high risk

There's no evidence Americans are coming here in big numbers. All we've seen is Irish people ranting about the subject on social media with no knowledge of what is actually happening.

• Advertisement

I think this is basically a fault of previous government's own making. If FG hand't brought forward opening of pubs with food then this would be sticking to initial phase they were meant to open so would have probably got there as normal. Now it sees like we're taking a backwards step and after going through all phases normally people are annoyed which I can understand.

I think in the scheme of things 3 weeks isn't a whole lot longer when already closed 4 months. I really feel for the staff and elderly and socially isolated customers especially in rural areas but hopefully this will mean virus is even more suppressed and that people can be confident in heading to pubs safe in knowing that in 3 weeks time.

In the meantime at least pubs with food are open, and off licences and supermarkets which were open all along of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

4 cases from people who travelled from the USA in 6 weeks

4 too many, no quarantine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No, it's ridiculous. But 2 wrongs don't make a right.

There has been a 55% increase in the 14 day trend.

Based off small numbers, but still if that trend continues the numbers will get pretty high pretty fast.

NPHET are spooked. The limiting people to other homes was the most worrying aspect of the press conference IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

FF is BACK! Not a coherent message from any of them. FG, get in there and communicate with us FGS.

There's no evidence Americans are coming here in big numbers. All we've seen is Irish people ranting about the subject on social media with no knowledge of what is actually happening.

That should make it easier to ensure anyone travelling from high risk areas (American, Irish or anyone else) quarantine.

Boggles wrote: »
    NPHET are spooked. The limiting people to other homes was the most worrying aspect of the press conference IMO.

I missed that. What does that mean?

• Advertisement

I think it was Coveney who said on average 250 arrive from the US a day this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Eod100 wrote: »
    Now it sees like we're taking a backwards step and after going through all phases normally people are annoyed which I can understand.
    This was always the risk and why the original plan was to have more phases over a longer period of time. It's easy to drop restrictions, it's very hard and demoralising to restore them.

Unfortunately public opinion had changed, and business interests were demanding certain things happened quicker. A government can only govern with the consent of the people.

Based off small numbers, but still if that trend continues the numbers will get pretty high pretty fast.

Is this the 10 people from no more than four households rule you are talking about?

I missed that. What does that mean?

Social visits to private homes asked to be limited to 10 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I cannot believe we actually have the biggest sham of a government, pandering to the mob on twitter. It is trully a sad time for our country.

• Advertisement

That should make it easier to ensure anyone travelling from high risk areas (American, Irish or anyone else) quarantine.

Listening to the briefing, the govt and health people are *far* more worried about domestic transmission of Covid-19.

For some reason, the media and social media brigade are obsessed with the travel issue and nearly ignoring that most new cases are happening in Ireland amongst Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lots visiting tourist spots in Ireland by all accounts whether coming by air or down NI border

Hurrache wrote: »

What was it before now out of curiosity?

I cannot believe we actually have the biggest sham of a government, pandering to the mob on twitter. It is trully a sad time for our country.

Obligatory 'Sinn Fein are in agreement' post.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

I would love to know if these tourists who refused to fill out the passenger location forms were refused entry into the country?

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublinairport-coronavirus-tourists-flying-us-18598481.

Also what concerns me is the way we are conducting some funerals. In the last week, I know of one funeral where the deceased was reposing in a funeral home, and another where the deceased was reposing in their own home (one member of the family arriving into the country from a hot spot country). Given the nature of shaking hands, hugging and the volume of people attending surely this should not be happening.

Hurrache wrote: »

Ah, an effort to stop house parties?
    Will it be enforceable?

I've been in my neighbours house once for coffe2 and in a friends for lunch once since restrictions were lifted.

Going for dinner in another friends house this weekend

No more than four people in total each time - too old for house parties :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭ax530

Wonder does the 10 per house conver holiday houses ... Booked a holiday house with other families

What was it before now out of curiosity?

Dunno, I completely lost track of what was in each phase as time passed by and restrictions seemed to become nonexistent.

While I do think it's a problem and they should take it more seriously, I'm inclined to agree with you a little bit here.

There should be mandatory quarantine for people coming from the US and it should actually happen in real life. But, at the same time, there's a danger that it becomes an obsession and allows a lot of Irish people to forget about their own responsibilities. The basic stuff about social distancing and hand hygiene appears to be on the wane. It's easy to rant about the Americans and the government, but we've got our own responsibilities too.

The numbers of American tourists are fcking tiny, it should be taken seriously but it is tiny. You are more likely to get it from your fellow Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Next week isn't good enough FFS

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Lots visiting tourist spots in Ireland by all accounts whether coming by air or down NI border

Social media accounts and repetitive anecdotes on the news. I’ve yet to see evidence of meaningful numbers

(I do think that Americans should not be allowed in though, unless resident)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

US2 wrote: »
    na never said i was going to, just that I could. Im off on holidays on the 27th of this month , I'm sure I'll survive until then.

And I'm sure I'll get over my worry about you......I mean hope i will (sob)

Sorry, think I was being a bitch to you.
    Bring me back a stick of rock, ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Wasn't clear but are face masks compulsory in shops from tonight?

Yes, I too found that to be a bit concerning. They didn't make too much of it, but it felt like a reminder that they're not entirely sure about how the virus is circulating.

I certainly got the feeling that they're a bit more concerned then they'll say outright.

Wasn't clear but are face masks compulsory in shops from tonight?

Not signed in yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Cannot understand the reasoning behind a small rural pub having to remain closed but you can go to penny’s or McDonald’s and have bigger crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Most incoherent and embarassing display from an Irish Leader in many years...

I think we need to just put our heads down for 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Christy42 wrote: »
    On your bike then. Let us know how you get on.

I am in too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I find it funny that they are looking at opening nightclubs on 10th August, they shouldn't be opening for the rest of the year and possibly beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Is indoor capacity going to stay capped at 50 from Monday or will it inrease to 100 as planned?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement