Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

9 out of every 10 cases of Covid diagnosed here are domestic according to Stephen Donnelly...yet we’ve a massive propaganda campaign about the ‘dangers’ and ‘concerns’ of travel for the last 2 weeks forcing families to lose hundred and thousands of their hard earned money. They literally contradict themselves at every turn.

It's not contradictory.

A lot of people aren't travelling, that's why we aren't seeing more cases related to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robfowler78

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not signed in yet

So just recommended at the moment until they can legislate for it? . I can see alot of shops trying to enforce it from tomorrow now that it's announced.

More confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

And I'm sure I'll get over my worry about you......I mean hope i will (sob)

Sorry, think I was being a bitch to you.
    Bring me back a stick of rock, ya?

Are you OK in the head? Weird reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Cannot understand the reasoning behind a small rural pub having to remain closed but you can go to penny’s or McDonald’s and have bigger crowds

Because a lot of the twitterati think that crowds in Penneys or McDonalds in Dublin (none of the latter near me are re-open yet) equates to crowds everywhere. And that what happened on Dame Lane could happen in a quiet rural pub in the sticks.

Lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

US2 wrote: »
    Are you OK in the head? Weird reply.

OK in the head? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Arghus wrote: »
    It's not contradictory.

A lot of people aren't travelling, that's why we aren't seeing more cases related to travel.

Did you see the very long list of cases related to travel? At least 12 different countries

One traveller from Iraq caused a cluster of 18 cases in Sligo

One

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

fritzelly wrote: »
    Maximum of 10 people to visit a house from a maximum of 4 households

Wow...that's some hard maths :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I'm absolutely devastated by the stalling of phase 4. My business is wedding related so today just put paid to the hopes I had of salvaging something from 2020. I'm sure I'm not the only one in a hopeless, dark place this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Cannot understand the reasoning behind a small rural pub having to remain closed but you can go to penny’s or McDonald’s and have bigger crowds

Except you probably won't be intoxicated in Penney's or McDonalds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Wasn't clear but are face masks compulsory in shops from tonight?

Seems like it. I don't get it, they open restaurants and pubs serving food and two weeks later there's an increase in cases, yet its shops, which have been open all along with no mandatory face coverings, that are need to change.

I still haven't seen any evidence that close contacts in shops are a contributer to any cases, they've been pretty much open all along you'd think there'd be plenty of documented cases by now if it was an issue.

Standard copying the UK IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Have McDonald's actually opened up anywhere for eat in yet anyway? And you don't tend to hang around Penney's for any length of time.

Stheno wrote: »
    Did you see the very long list of cases related to travel? At least 12 different countries

One traveller from Iraq caused a cluster of 18 cases in Sligo

One

Yes, I know that.

Travel is dangerous, I'm not arguing that it isn't. But I'm pointing out that Stephen Donelley saying travelling is dangerous, while also saying 90% of our cases are domestic isn't actually contradictory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How many countries in Europe still have their pubs closed?

How many countries in Europe are as pub centric, depending etc and have pub life at the very epicenter of their social scene to the same extent as we do ? Not many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Most incoherent and embarassing display from an Irish Leader in many years...

I think we need to just put our heads down for 2 years!

He's beyond useless. Snivelling, moist eyed, gammon faced cretin. The absolute embodiment of modern Irish politics.

There will be committees, enquiries, and tribunals on the way. Just keep cashing the cheques and kicking the can down the road until he can retire with his pension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hurrache wrote: »
    Have McDonald's actually opened up anywhere for eat in yet anyway? And you don't tend to hang around Penney's for any length of time.

In my local Penny's youd to queue for an hour for the till the first week it opened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Strumms wrote: »
    How many countries in Europe are as pub centric, depending etc and have pub life at the very epicenter of their social scene to the same extent as we do ? Not many.

Plenty are. France for example, cafes are fairly central to life and serve the same function as a pub. Italy and Spain are similar. How are they getting on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

McDonalds is drive through only.

It's been a while since I have been in Penny's but I don't think you are allowed to skull pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Healy Raes won't like rural pubs still closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yes, I too found that to be a bit concerning. They didn't make too much of it, but it felt like a reminder that they're not entirely sure about how the virus is circulating.

I certainly got the feeling that they're a bit more concerned then they'll say outright.
    I thought it was simply an event to stop the proliferation of house parties. It's one thing for teenagers to be doing it, but I know of several local birthday parties, barbecues and other get-togethers which have been thrown by adults. We need to put a stop to this, it's perfect for spread of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

is_that_so wrote: »
    I did read a post where someone said a pub was using a local café to supply the food. Nice symbiosis!

I know a pub doing that. In fairness they are offering a proper menu, not just sausages and chips etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Plenty are. France for example, cafes are fairly central to life and serve the same function as a pub. Italy and Spain are similar. How are they getting on?

Comparing going for a coffee to alcohol is nonsensical. Grow up.

Boggles wrote: »
    McDonalds is drive through only.

It's been a while since I have been in Penny's but I don't think you are allowed to skull pints.

I think McDonalds and Supermacs are now open for sit down also

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

Shops have been open through this whole mess with no masks. Is this a case of the UK sneezed and we caught the cold? Will stick to shopping online, I won't be wearing a mask to a shop, have tried but just made my breathing worse (I have asthma and it was too hard to breathe)

I almost feels like they are trying to bring about the closure of more businesses. 3 Weeks more can destroy more businesses, more job losses. And before anyone asks, no I am not dying to get back to a pub, couldn't tell you the last time I was in one not a drinker. But I know a few people who now think their jobs are gone for good.

Americans etc can come in, sign a form but hit the town straight away and mosey on about the place regardless and yet we get told to stay home holiday at home or we will bring on a second wave and kill all the grannies.

With the tests and the results, are these all from the past 24 hours or are these some delayed results? Is the increase in numbers from more testing? What is the actual R number? How many of these cases were sick or were they symptomless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

so let me see

the cases are health workers

travel

and allegedly house parties

potentially tourists from covid hotspots

yet our governments answer is wear masks in shops

dont travel

and dont enforce quarantine

im really failing to understand the logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Strazdas wrote: »
    There's no evidence Americans are coming here in big numbers. All we've seen is Irish people ranting about the subject on social media with no knowledge of what is actually happening.

Just back from a few days in Kerry .
    We were starting to dread it, reading about all the hordes of Americans down South , travelling around , spreading the virus.

There were none to be seen .

Talking to 2 taxi men, 1 publican , a hotelier , a boat man and 3 waitresses ...no Americsns this year, no busloads, just one family that didn't isolate and are now in quarantine .
    Only Irish people holidaying, making up in part for the loss of income , with some travellers from the North , all behaving as per the rules .

What we did see however were a lot of 20 year olds coming down from Dublin , no social distancing , heading to a very big house party .
    Some were very loud and shouty , others looked embarrassed , were wearing masks.

That is my experience and what I was told , but of course others may have had a different experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I am going away for a while folks.

Just ignoring any government advice etc unless enforced. My brain is literally about to explode with angst and whatever so switch off is needed.

There are no direct signal from MM and this dithering Health Minister.

I really need to step away from caring or will damage my mental well being for a long time.

Bring back Leo and Simon Harris, they can even do the briefing shirtless from Phoenix Park

The whole mask thing is a mess at the start it wasn't recommended now it is recommended. And to make it mandatory in shops which have been open all along just seems odd. Either it is or isn't required but they need to be clear.

I am going away for a while folks.

Ah. Okay. Have a good one.

Some would say we barely knew you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Christy42

Shops have been open through this whole mess with no masks. Is this a case of the UK sneezed and we caught the cold? Will stick to shopping online, I won't be wearing a mask to a shop, have tried but just made my breathing worse (I have asthma and it was too hard to breathe)

I almost feels like they are trying to bring about the closure of more businesses. 3 Weeks more can destroy more businesses, more job losses. And before anyone asks, no I am not dying to get back to a pub, couldn't tell you the last time I was in one not a drinker. But I know a few people who now think their jobs are gone for good.

Americans etc can come in, sign a form but hit the town straight away and mosey on about the place regardless and yet we get told to stay home holiday at home or we will bring on a second wave and kill all the grannies.

With the tests and the results, are these all from the past 24 hours or are these some delayed results? Is the increase in numbers from more testing? What is the actual R number? How many of these cases were sick or were they symptomless?

Note that this was the original date for pubs before it was moved forward. They should have just left stage 4 at the same date and moved stage 3 up when they did and no one would complain! Pubs should have had an idea of this when this was original date. Obviously a lot from the public purse will be needed to fix this and to try reinvigorate the industries afterwards.

I agree on people traveling from hotspots need to be quarantined. Granted this will also kill a lot of small businesses which you are so against for the pubs. Are we really that reliant on the pub industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Nanny Republic.
    Numbers now won't get any lower

Some shops have been open through this whole mess and there hasn't been mandatory mask wearing. But there was also a lot less people around, more heed paid to social distancing and there was plenty of other establishments shut. As there's more and more people out and about, social distancing is rapidly disappearing and most shops open then masks become even more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

The R number is now between 1.2 to 1.8, a big jump!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Shoplifters will be out in force now with wearing masks in shops

The whole mask thing is a mess at the start it wasn't recommended now it is recommended. And to make it mandatory in shops which have been open all along just seems odd. Either it is or isn't required but they need to be clear.

They have clusterfooked the messaging on masks.

But all shops have not been open all along, the majority of them have only been open less than a month.

Supermarkets are a very different experience now than they were 1-2 months ago.

Where it is was one per trolley get in and get out, now it's families making it an event.

The more masks the better, the evidence is clear.

• Advertisement

Doctor Glynn said there in the briefing that the confirmed infection rate is up to 3.9 per 100,000 from 2.5 a fortnight ago. Every other time we went from phase to phase that number was decreasing, not increasing.

Okay, you might say that is down to increased testing, but it's hard to say definitively if we're starting to see a trend emerging or not about the spread of the virus in the community as a result of phases opening and people moving about in greater numbers and in general being much more lax then they were a few weeks ago.

So given that uncertainty, would you not think it's a sensible approach to wait until the infection rate has stabilised or is even declining before you decide to plough ahead with opening up the pubs - where you can guarantee close contact between people, plenty of shouting and roaring into each other's faces and a drink fueled complete lack of social distancing.

Compare that infection rate per 100,000 to the rest of Europe! Did Germany reverse course after the meat factory rise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

theballz wrote: »
    Comparing going for a coffee to alcohol is nonsensical. Grow up.

people consume alcohol in french cafes. They are a social outlet the same as pubs in ireland and central to community life. Bars serve the same purpose in spain also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The idea that pubs and nightclubs can open before a vaccine (or a NZ style lockdown with the aim of eliminating the virus) isnt realistic. The publicans need to be told this.

The idea that we can borrow 30 billion this year and have no austerity isn't realistic. Yet every TD in the Dail thinks otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

youandme13 wrote: »

And meaningless with such small case numbers

Yanks and the UK heads all over the place not being checked our response deny paddy a pint bullsh1t

• Advertisement

Ah. Okay. Have a good one.

Some would say we barely knew you.

Thanks for your support buddy. I hoppy MM and MM get on well.... disaster.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    4 too many, no quarantine

Do you know they didn’t quarantine? How many cases have NZ had from travel in the last 6 weeks?

And you don't usually have to roar your order for two pairs of jocks directly into the face of your server.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was over in St Vincent's University Hospital A&E dept (not as a patient) and see it is back to normal - like a zoo with people every where with no room to social distance.

In the main hospital lots not wearing masks.

Things are beginning to look like the pandemic and the panic is over - only it is not safe yet lo let our guard down.

The pubs not opening is a temporary reprieve.

Today was the day that marked people not giving a damn.

Arrest me idiots for flying back from Europe. Absolute insanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Is the compulsory mask thing with immediate effect?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

youandme13 wrote: »

Considering the false positive rate for the coronavirus test, the amount of testing we’re doing and the low number of cases I can’t see how they’re accurately predicting the R0. Hint: they’re not.

Won’t stop the government and the media reporting on any “increase” though.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Lots visiting tourist spots in Ireland by all accounts whether coming by air or down NI border

Or maybe they are some of the 40,000 Americans who live here. Anecdotes are not facts

I can't believe fianna fail and the greens who bankrupted the country are making decisions

They have clusterfooked the messaging on masks.

But all shops have not been open all along, the majority of them have only been open less than a month.

Supermarkets are a very different experience now than they were 1-2 months ago.

Where it is was one per trolley get in and get out, now it's families making it an event.

The more masks the better, the evidence is clear.

Yeah more shops are open and more people about makes sense. You could argue that the rate of infection was much higher in the first few weeks then it is now aswell and no masks. Im not to bothered about wearing masks I'm more asking about the confusion about it. Even now as it's mandatory it still seems like the regulations havnt been agreed yet. Just seems to me they have long enough to get their message out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement