Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do you know they didn’t quarantine? How many cases have NZ had from travel in the last 6 weeks?

True I don't know if they did or not, we need proper enforced quarantine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I am going away for a while folks.

Just ignoring any government advice etc unless enforced. My brain is literally about to explode with angst and whatever so switch off is needed.

There are no direct signal from MM and this dithering Health Minister.

I really need to step away from caring or will damage my mental well being for a long time.

Sounds like someone is in need of a Pint..............Oh wait.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Level 42 wrote: »
    I can't believe fianna fail and the greens who bankrupted the country are making decisions

Obligatory 'Sinn Fein are in agreement with the decision' post.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

fritzelly wrote: »
    Shoplifters will be out in force now with wearing masks in shops

More Ninjas too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Compare that infection rate per 100,000 to the rest of Europe! Did Germany reverse course after the meat factory rise?

Sure, but our rate is increasing, not decreasing. Every time we moved through a phase we were decreasing. That's why a pause makes perfect sense.

What Germany did is irrelevant. They have a far more robust health system, they had, proportion wise, a far less severe outbreak and have also mandated the wearing of masks since April 22nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE news just announced that civil servants who leave the country for non essential travel will have to take 2 weeks annual/unpaid leave when they return to isolate. That will go down well with unions :D

Arghus wrote: »
    And you don't usually have to roar your order for two pairs of jocks directly into the face of your server.

I can't hear what you are saying under this background noise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The proposed mask wearing requirement in shops is complete bull****. Many shops have been open throughout, and infection numbers dropped despite there being no requirement to wear masks in shops. Why is it suddenly necessary to wear a mask when going to buy some groceries in Supervalu?

There was a Doctor on the radio today saying that instead of banging on about masks like they have done for the last few weeks, the Government and NPHET need to simply continue to spread the simple message to social distance and practice good hygiene. The clear, basic message that was pushed when numbers dropped has been forgotten about because some clowns want to force everyone to wear masks.

Or maybe they are some of the 40,000 Americans who live here. Anecdotes are not facts

Who decide now to visit Cliffs of Moher, Guinness Storehouse, Carroll's Gift Shops and English Market etc.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

In one local Lidl last night, couple wearing masks literally on top of me at the till. I was on the 2m marker from the till, person in front of me on their dot gathering up shopping but these two? They just had to unload their shop but its okay they had on masks so they can stand on top of you!!! This is just one example. So while agree social distancing is reducing among people I have myself found that most I have come across in shops breaking the 2m are those wearing masks (this is just my opinion and not a statistic just giving my pov)

Its the ditthering and back and forth coupled with lack of clarity that makes me angry. The scare tactics, the finger wagging at people trying to get their lives back, no questioning of experts from the media in any meaningful way.

Also @Christy42 its not just pubs, I have had a friend fold a business recently which was destroyed in the closure of events another is close to shutting up shop. I am not reliant on pubs which I stated, its the killing of livelihoods, the shutting of social outlets for small communities which for some in rural areas was the heart of the community. Its not about the drink, its being with friends, talking, having an outlet, people to talk to its the human interaction which some don't have at home. Its not about being reliant on drink its the loss of interactions. And for me its the loss of my usual freedoms, my life on hold. There is so much more I could rant about (screenings or lack of, education etc) but I think if I took that particular stopper out I would be angry for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

is_that_so wrote: »
    Bear in mind the average age of those who have died and the likely comorbidities. Some of them could have been sick for quite some time.
    And their age makes it ok? Doesn't matter that they might have lived longer without virus, just that their time should be up?

Stop with the moral high ground nonsense. He wasn't implying it didn't matter, but it is a fact that it hits the elderly in terms of deaths more. And that many dying had serious underlying conditions, which rendered the Covid death figures a bit overstated in terms of historic deaths for the same period in previous years.

Plenty of us have elderly relations who are taking a "we still need to live our lives" approach, and that aren't expecting the whole country to bunker down to permanently protect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Over and out for a while. I’ve read enough and have deleted news apps off my phone as well. Never anything positive on any media outlet.
    Now I’m going to eat my feelings with a full pack of chocolate digestives and a cup of tea to help get rid of the anger!!

GazzaL wrote: »
    The proposed mask wearing requirement in shops is complete bull****. Many shops have been open throughout, and infection numbers dropped despite there being no requirement to wear masks in shops. Why is it suddenly necessary to wear a mask when going to buy some groceries in Supervalu?

With more people resuming back to normal with no social distancing (something I have observed on my recent visits), wearing mask makes sense. Unless you are ok to not consider safety of others. In that case, it's complete bull💩

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Friendly reminder that the r-rate of the cluster in Sligo was about 16, in basic terms.
    It means very little when the numbers are this small.

Friendly reminder that the r-rate of the cluster in Sligo was about 16, in basic terms.

That's the problem with headline numbers, they're very misleading. Great for the media, madness for the Government to be basing policy decisions on.

• Advertisement

Sure, but our rate is increasing, not decreasing. Every time we moved through a phase we were decreasing. That's why a pause makes perfect sense.

What Germany did is irrelevant. They have a far more robust health system, they had, proportion wise, a far less severe outbreak and have also mandated the wearing of masks since April 22nd.

Our health system performed very well apart from isolating care homes. Death rate is hospitals here was at the lower end. . My own view is until we are at close to 100 cases a day are we not at position where we need to be worried. Countries that opened before we did saw skies and did not over react, and stabilised again. You also have to remember 20 cases a day in March was probably really 200 because we could not test enough

Renjit wrote: »
    With more people resuming back to normal with no social distancing (something I have observed on my recent visits), wearing mask makes sense. Unless you are ok to not consider safety of others. In that case, it's complete bull💩

They've stopped the social distancing message to go on about masks which only a few weeks ago were said to be both unnecessary and potentially a higher risk if worn incorrectly. Complete bull****, complete stupidity.

I'm sorry I'm confused is R now 1.2 from 16 people cluster in Sligo from Iraq travel

Renjit wrote: »

That's it really. Most people weren't wearing masks, but for a long while they were taking other precautions.

Now streets, shopping centres and shops are nearly as full as they always were. If people want things to be as normalised as this, then they'll have to expect masks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry I'm confused is R now 1.2 from 16 people cluster in Sligo from Iraq travel

Due to the overall numbers the cluster in Sligo and the Kerry house party will have disproportionately increased the r number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I am going away for a while folks.

Just ignoring any government advice etc unless enforced. My brain is literally about to explode with angst and whatever so switch off is needed.

There are no direct signal from MM and this dithering Health Minister.

I really need to step away from caring or will damage my mental well being for a long time.

Haha this is exactly how I feel about it.

It's particularly bad when people are mostly in agreement with this being the wrong move.

Just a big negative echo chamber that you have no power to change.

Very annoying

The overall is 1.2 but as I showed from the Sligo cluster little things like that have a massive effect on it. I can imagine the Kerry incident last week had a massive effect on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

RTE news just announced that civil servants who leave the country for non essential travel will have to take 2 weeks annual/unpaid leave when they return to isolate. That will go down well with unions :D

Paddy can't go anywhere but bring in the yanks no bother

There was a Doctor on the radio today saying that instead of banging on about masks like they have done for the last few weeks, the Government and NPHET need to simply continue to spread the simple message to social distance and practice good hygiene. The clear, basic message that was pushed when numbers dropped has been forgotten about because some clowns want to force everyone to wear masks.

Well if you were sent here with work last winter and then we went into lockdown what would be the first thing you do after lockdown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Because the case numbers are so small

They've stopped the social distancing message to go on about masks which only a few weeks ago were said to be both unnecessary and potentially a higher risk if worn incorrectly. Complete bull****, complete stupidity.

They haven't stopped that message. It's constantly repeated - even this evening in the press conference they repeated it. People have stopped listening, that's what has happened.

The masks aren't great for glasses wearers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

R number is no longer relevant. Cluster of ten pops up, theoretically gives an R number of 10, all close contacts are traced and tested, isolate for two weeks and recover and this cluster is controlled.

R number is relevant when it's vastly out of control, think late March to early May. When the case number is low and oscillating it makes no sense.

The media at present is nothing short of disgraceful in its over sensationalism. Dublin Live had a headline tonight about how the government is delaying the opening of the pubs due to the arrival of a second wave. Jesus wept.

I put the mask slightly under my glasses and they don't fog up. If that doesn't work soak the glasses in washing up liquid and water and leave them dry naturally and then put the mask on and they don't fog either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

D.Q wrote: »
    It's particularly bad when people are mostly in agreement with this being the wrong move.

Just a big negative echo chamber that you have no power to change.

Very annoying

Did a poll did you? So far the feeling I'm getting around here is positive enough and most people willing to give it a few more weeks and the masks issue is no big deal at all.

Depends on who you talk to but don't suppose everybody agrees with you,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Seen a little video today showed 3 ways to help, tissue on inside of mask to catch moisture, put glasses over mask (if you get me) and wash glasses with soapy water. Think it was on Richard Chambers twitter feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A sneak preview of the 'green list' perhaps. These seven European countries have lower rates of Covid-19 than ourselves :

Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Finland, Hungary, Estonia, Cyprus, Malta

They're running ads reminding about hand washing, social distancing and face coverings at least once an hour all day on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robfowler78

At this rate I can't see how we will get through the winter months. Every cold and flu symptom will result in school closures and staff in shops and business having to isolate until a corona test is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

As ive discovered, a right pain with them fogging up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

pc7 wrote: »
    Seen a little video today showed 3 ways to help, tissue on inside of mask to catch moisture, pit glasses over mask (if you get me) and wash glasses with soapy water. Think it was on Richard Chambers twitter feed.

Any link please?

They haven't stopped that message. It's constantly repeated - even this evening in the press conference they repeated it. People have stopped listening, that's what has happened.

It's been completely diluted by the mask bull****.

Strazdas wrote: »
    A sneak preview of the 'green list' perhaps. These seven European countries have lower rates of Covid-19 than ourselves :

Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Finland, Hungary, Estonia, Cyprus, Malta

Rates as in latest seven day average totals. Cases per 100k?

What's the measure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

George Lee it's not a set back but a pause lol

The usual BS as it being all about the schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

The overall is 1.2 but as I showed from the Sligo cluster little things like that have a massive effect on it. I can imagine the Kerry incident last week had a massive effect on it too.

Exactly, as a pandemic ends, R0 doesn’t actually approach zero, it approaches 1. This is because so few cases will have a heavier effect on the calculation. 500 cases going to 1000 is simply explained as R0 is 2. But a small cluster can inflate the numbers, like 1 cases in sligo infecting 16 makes R0 16. So you’ve got to view it in the context of R0 of 2 vs 16 when new cases are 1000 vs 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

At this rate I can't see how we will get through the winter months. Every cold and flu symptom will result in school closures and staff in shops and business having to isolate until a corona test is done.

Thats exactly what's happening in Germany now. Kid sneezes in creche - bang - sent home. Parents just back in work for 3 days now get your kid.

The way we are going right now and what seems to be the mood of the country I'm not sure how we will ever get out of this mess unless there is a full on cure/vaccine/whatever which is not necessary likely. With the previous government at least you had the sense they had a plan and had developed an understanding of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    Stop with the moral high ground nonsense. He wasn't implying it didn't matter, but it is a fact that it hits the elderly in terms of deaths more. And that many dying had serious underlying conditions, which rendered the Covid death figures a bit overstated in terms of historic deaths for the same period in previous years.

Plenty of us have elderly relations who are taking a "we still need to live our lives" approach, and that aren't expecting the whole country to bunker down to permanently protect them.

The moral high ground nonsense....??? The moral high ground that thinks that it hits elderly more but that each elderly person deserves to live as long as they can. Especially because that generation got nothing easy, worked hard for every thing they got and made sacrifices over and above what any of us will ever make?

Plenty of us also have elderly relatives that might not expect "the whole country" to bunker down to protect them but some of us are not selfish enough to think that's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Socialising is so yesterday now anyway.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    George Lee it's not a set back but a pause lol

The usual BS as it being all about the schools

BS? Why is it BS, seems that it's obviously enough part of their thinking.

What do you think their hidden motive actually is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

What's the measure?

Countries at or below 4 cases per 100k in the last two weeks (we are 8th on this list btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

BS? Why is it BS, seems that it's obviously enough part of their thinking.

What do you think their hidden motive actually is?

There is none. Never look for malice where incompetence is a sufficient explanation.

It's been completely diluted by the mask bull****.

It's repeated loud and clear constantly, but people are deaf to it. People should have the brains to independently realise that social distancing is still required.

But its easier to just bash the authorities, even if it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Thats exactly what's happening in Germany now. Kid sneezes in creche - bang - sent home. Parents just back in work for 3 days now get your kid.

But how long really can it carry on this way. I know people say vaccine but if it doesn't happen I really cant see away out the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

What's the measure?

I would hope that the rate of testing in countries would be also taken into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Especially because that generation got nothing easy, worked hard for every thing they got and made sacrifices over and above what any of us will ever

That is all nonsense though?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement