Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Never thought I’d say this but bring back Leo as Leader rather than father Michael, he’s a real throwback to the old days. Very few new cases in the whole country but he’s gradually leading us back to another lockdown and complete economic disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Someone from FF on virgin media saying pubs can't socially distance, well that's why you give them guidelines and close the ones caught blatantly flouting the guidelines as had happened in phase 3 so far.

Its not that difficult give them the guidelines, it'll be no different to any guidelines that are out now minus the €9 meal. Table serivce, stay at your table, details for contact tracing amongst many of the measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stheno wrote: »
    Hmm I was hoping to holiday in Malta this year.

I'm not so sure about the plane though :)
    It is a direct flight however.

I sent my FF TD another email asking how in the name of god they can justify the completely illogical approach taken by MM tonight.

I emailed lots of TDs and MEPs with ACitizenErased sample reddit US flights letter only a few replied back acknowledging, I might email them again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fair play to Ivan Yates, he's not letting this waffler get away with his spiel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

There are a lot of small people with big egos here Arghus. Very few with your common sense.

like your last post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Fair play to Ivan Yates, he's not letting this waffler get away with his spiel.

Whoever that was from FF was spouting some utter amount of nonsense, dont worry the €9 meal saves us from covid.

As for Kingston Mills, I never said 80 thousand would die, Ivan pulled him right up said he said it back in March. Followed by eh eh eh.
    Ivan asks for an examples of a 2nd wave and he gives Iran, fcuking Iran. Didn't exactly come out of the first surge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Never thought I’d say this but bring back Leo as Leader rather than father Michael, he’s a real throwback to the old days. Very few new cases in the whole country but he’s gradually leading us back to another lockdown and complete economic disaster

Im not a FF or FG supporter but in fairness its now as if MM made the decision himself, its a govt decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

6 cases from this hystericial media outrage in 6 weeks, OMG

You need to calm down a little.

Someone from FF on virgin media saying pubs can't socially distance, well that's why you give them guidelines and close the ones caught blatantly flouting the guidelines as had happened in phase 3 so far.

Its not that difficult give them the guidelines, it'll be no different to any guidelines that are out now minus the €9 meal. Table serivce, stay at your table, details for contact tracing amongst many of the measures.

And they only realised this now, some pubs have made more changes to their premises to accommodate and as you state same arrangements as food pubs only without food

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

GazzaL wrote: »
    21 people in hospital with COVID, in the whole country! Yet here we are discussing making masks mandatory in shops that have been open for the entire duration of the lockdown, while jobs are being lost, non-COVID conditions are going undiagnosed and untreated, and lives are being destroyed.

There's obviously no connection between these low numbers and the measures you're complaining about is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Seamai wrote: »
    I've been to Italy a lot and I can tell you that I've rarely seen any of the locals drunk falling around in a bar, you'll see far more physical contact in an Irish bar once people get a few drinks in them. While they serve the same function they work very differently.

Doubt you've ever been to Italy with that nonsense you've typed. Italians are the most touchy people in the world without alcohol. Greet everyone with kisses and hugs.

like your last post?

I can't remember what it was. I'm just so glad the pubs are closed until the 10th August and Trogan work is being done on the green list.

When you want good government you need FF. The Soldiers of Destiny won't let you down.

No quotes from obscure teen girl films like Varwanker is into.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Did a poll did you? So far the feeling I'm getting around here is positive enough and most people willing to give it a few more weeks and the masks issue is no big deal at all.

Depends on who you talk to but don't suppose everybody agrees with you,
    My reading of the vast majority of posts since the postponement announcement is at complete odds to you, most particularly regarding the delayed reopening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I'd really recommend Warsaw. A brilliant,clean and safe city. It's up there with Europe's best. The military museum, Jewish museum and Warsaw uprising museum are out if this world. People are really missing out on it. Can't wait to get to Poland again.

I've heard it feels a bit sterile compared to some of the more historic cities that weren't grounded in WW 2. Would definitely give it a visit though. Krakow and Gdansk are amazing and Lublin is on my radar. I miss pierogi LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

There is no logic in the government's decision to keep pubs closed. Restaurants are open, bars/pubs serving food are open but pubs, with strict guidelines such as table service only and 2 hours limit, can't open.
    Bars and pubs are paying the price for the lack of enforcement by the government of phase 3 guidelines.

I think from the last recession I’ve been primed to hate FF and I didn’t really know why. I left college in 2006, worked in the building industry and lost my job in 2010. Managed to get work quick enough in another industry and have been in it since. Still didn’t fully understand why I hated FF. But now I do. I’ve no interest in pubs personally but a serious lack of balls in this government and what is in my opinion a massive misreading of the data.

Mr. Burns is a terrible leader for FF and now the country, Leo should have stayed on as first go at rotating Taoiseach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

nocoverart wrote: »
    I've heard it feels a bit sterile compared to some of the more historic cities that weren't grounded in WW 2. Would definitely give it a visit though. Krakow and Gdansk are amazing and Lublin is on my radar. I miss pierogi LOL.

Yeah it's kind of apparent that the old town was rebuilt rather than a permanent fixture if that makes sense. Still though it's a fantastic city and it's a country I need to see more of. A lot of modern office blocks which I was surprised by it was very American that way if that makes sense. Pierogi are divine. Polish food is so underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Mr. Burns is a terrible leader for FF and now the country, Leo should have stayed on as first go at rotating Taoiseach

Nah - let MM go first and show how pathetic he is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Yeah it's kind of apparent that the old town was rebuilt rather than a permanent fixture if that makes sense. Still though it's a fantastic city and it's a country I need to see more of. A lot of modern office blocks which I was surprised by it was very American that way if that makes sense. Pierogi are divine. Polish food is so underrated.

What's this got to do with covid jesus christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Whoever that was from FF was spouting some utter amount of nonsense, dont worry the €9 meal saves us from covid.

As for Kingston Mills, I never said 80 thousand would die, Ivan pulled him right up said he said it back in March. Followed by eh eh eh.
    Ivan asks for an examples of a 2nd wave and he gives Iran, fcuking Iran. Didn't exactly come out of the first surge

I know. Why did he pick Iran.

He could have just said America, Melbourne or Israel instead.

• Advertisement

Micheal is a great Irish name. None of the blueshirts on here would call their icon Micheal Ó Coileáin 'Meehole'. Oh no they claim their party was his.

Henceforth Varadkar can legitimately be called Varwanker to these tan lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I explained R to you this morning and got a smart arsed reply what do you expect?

You've actually no idea how R is affected by sudden changes ie clusters as you've proven in other replies.

Well its quite straight forward really, when the Swiss cases got down to a handful of cases they tracked each case gave it to 1 person, hence R is 1. Your talking less than 10 cases a day but R was 1.

Can you not accept that having a cluster of 15 in Killarney and sligo will give R a massive inflation that isn't accurate of the national picture. I've also given you the Germany explain.

Not sure how else it can be explained.

On the Switzerland example, that is certainly a better explanation, each patient infecting one other patient would result in a R value of 1. If that was what you meant the first time, it wasn't clear to me.

I have no problem understanding that a superspreading type event would massively increase the R value when numbers are low. I have made that point myself on here a few times.

Maybe you are mixing me up with somebody else.

I,d appreciate it if you could quote one of my replies and explain why it is obvious that I don't understand what I'm on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Why are people so hung up about the Pubs, hotel bars and nightclubs not being open?

I would understand if ye worked in one and it was about employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Why are people so hung up about the Pubs, hotel bars and nightclubs not being open?

I would understand if ye worked in one and it was about employment.

Is this your first day in Ireland? People like to go out drinking with their friends and family. Not a new concept

I think Liz you'll find FF were slightly the bigger party. In coalition the larger party gets the Taoiseach job, or in a rotating leadership gets it first.

At the start of the crisis February/March Leo let 3,000 northern Italians in. Let Cheltenham go ahead and did nothing with travel. Leo got the benefit of the doubt and improved.

MM is afforded no such luxuries by bitter people. Who blame FF for a recession but take no personal responsibility for 100% mortgages, Bulgarian houses etc.

One fella on the Cowen thread gave a litany of their mistakes. It was completely lost on him that when you're in power 75% of the time you'll make mistakes. And the public voted them in.

It bears repeating that the pubs themselves came to the government back in March expressing concerns about how it was impossible to operate and stick to guidelines re social distancing.

So obviously something must have happened in the last few months that's entirely fundamentally changed the experience of the pub. They must no longer be places where people are in close contact with each other, frequently shouting and roaring, and they must have found some magical new form of alcohol that makes people even more conscious of social distancing, as opposed to more and more oblivious to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

US2 wrote: »
    Doubt you've ever been to Italy with that nonsense you've typed. Italians are the most touchy people in the world without alcohol. Greet everyone with kisses and hugs.

I'm talking about how physical Irish people get once they have a few drinks inside them, they can make Italians look positively Nordic with all the pawing. For most Italians getting drunk in public is a big social no no, that's the big difference.

"Doubt you've ever been to Italy" .........
    Just listen to yourself, how old are you? You sound like an 8 year old in a school yard.
    Good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

The poster mentioned he'd like to go to Poland. People have gone on much longer pointless tangents. Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think Liz you'll find FF were slightly the bigger party. In coalition the larger party gets the Taoiseach job, or in a rotating leadership gets it first.

At the start of the crisis February/March Leo let 3,000 northern Italians in. Let Cheltenham go ahead and did nothing with travel. Leo got the benefit of the doubt and improved.

MM is afforded no such luxuries by bitter people. Who blame FF for a recession but take no personal responsibility for 100% mortgages, Bulgarian houses etc.

One fella on the Cowen thread gave a litany of their mistakes. It was completely lost on him that when you're in power 75% of the time you'll make mistakes. And the public voted them in.

I think to be fair it was the UK government that let Cheltenham go ahead which I think they've admitted was a mistake.

It was an astute move by Leo to protest a little and then let MM front and central for the next couple of years.

The time of panic is over when people were happy to take the doctors medicine, now they want movement and a return to normality.

However now we are going to have to start paying and there can be no proper opening without a risk of a rebound in the pandemic.

Where as in 2 years time, we've a good chance of having the country vaccinated and a recovery sprouting around us with Leo taking up the mantle.

There is no thanks in politics for raising taxes and cutting services. MM's faith is sealed he'll not lead FF into next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Interesting article on the R number. Basically it's not very accurate when case numbers are so low.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/is-the-covid-19-r-number-still-a-useful-measure/

I take no personal responsibility for 100% or even 110% mortgages, as I never had one. However, I do hold FF responsible for the banking regulations that allowed such madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Is this your first day in Ireland? People like to go out drinking with their friends and family. Not a new concept

And that’s why people are throwing tantrums over it?

I’m amazed that pubs plays a large part in so many peoples lives in Ireland in 2020.

So much so that they go ****1ng ballistic that they can’t go.

When your family and/or friends don’t join you for a pint as they have concerns, will you go full code red on them too?

I have friends who work in pubs who won’t go back when they reopen as they don’t trust customers when drink is taken and the irrational behaviour starts during a pandemic.

The same with 2 bouncers normally did night clubs who changed to security jobs in stores.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think to be fair it was the UK government that let Cheltenham go ahead which I think they've admitted was a mistake.

Well our advice was wishy washy re. travelling. Not strong leadership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Well Covid is rearly seen in this Country just like good auld JC, I know he shows up in Church and sh1t in the form of statues. Kind of similar really, they both love the indoors but neither have much impact in reality : )

I take no personal responsibility for 100% or even 110% mortgages, as I never had one. However, I do hold FF responsible for the banking regulations that allowed such madness.

Do you think if FG were in power from 1997-2011 they'd have dealt better with these issues?

I know you can't prove it but I remember the 80s and the reckless borrowing of FG/Labour. FF and the corrupt, I'll give you that, Haughey led us out of that towards 1994 and the beginning of the Tiger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

Good point that, I was always under the impression that the ICU and acute beds were reported separately.

Open to correction though.

Not sure either but I think they are. Hospital breakdown doesn’t add up for them to be reported together.

Well our advice was wishy washy re. travelling. Not strong leadership.

It might have been wishy washy but you said let Cheltenham go ahead which isn't correct. Leo varadkar and the Irish government will be judged on how they have done and how they continue to do on this issue when this is all over, but not Cheltenham.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It might have been wishy washy but you said let Cheltenham go ahead which isn't correct. Leo varadkar and the Irish government will be judged on how they have done and how they continue to do on this issue when this is all over, but not Cheltenham.

Well if there was a ban on Irish travel to Cheltenham that in itself could have led to it being called off.

Leo was weak here. If you're calling out Martin at the start of his tenure it's only fair to point out Leo took time to get to grips with Covid.

I worked in the Central Bank in regulation at a junior level 20 years ago. I could tell a lot of stories but the system was rotten to the core.

I think many don't realise the complete rejigging of many areas of the civil and regulatory services that was needed in this country. It was so deep in the system that to blame one party is ridiculous. No matter what party was in power this whole area was a law onto itself.

If I had to tell you pressure I was put under to pass financial institutions on regulation checks. Absolutely soul destroying as a young person in my early 20s. I left after 2 years, felt powerless. Pat Neary was my boss.

Well if there was a ban on Irish travel to Cheltenham that in itself could have led to it being called off.

Leo was weak here. If you're calling out Martin at the start of his tenure it's only fair to point out Leo took time to get to grips with Covid.

I think Leo was bad at the start of all this, then got better and then got a bit sloppy and all over the place message wise towards the end.

Up until today I would have said FF were absolutely piss poor in their management of this. But, maybe, today was the first sign that they're prepared to grasp the nettle a bit. The fact that FF went against the vintners felt pretty significant. It would have been a popular short term decision for them politically to open the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Leo left Martin with little to do on a virus that was contained here. Air travel and health care workers was the only real issues.

It should have been a smooth transition into phase 4 on Monday. Instead Martin wants to show some so called leadership by kicking phase 4 down the road for another 3 weeks.

Instead Martin wants to show some so called leadership by kicking phase 4 down the road for another 3 weeks.

Think this is it entirely - wants to be seen as being this strong leader who knows what he's doing and making tough decisions (a la Trump).
    Reality being he is just pissing people off

Arghus wrote: »
    I think Leo was bad at the start of all this, then got better and then got a bit sloppy and all over the place message wise towards the end.

Up until today I would have said FF were absolutely piss poor in their management of this. But, maybe, today was the first sign that they're prepared to grasp the nettle a bit. The fact that FF went against the vintners felt pretty significant. It would have been a popular short term decision for them politically to open the pubs.

Not just saying it but I find you an excellent, thoughtful poster. No agendas.

I've ranted on a bit like a lunatic this evening. I'm annoyed as people are just reverting to type and easy stereotypes, FF bad, Barry Cowen. Calling MM Mehole. All the I want thanks stuff.

Irish society's problems always run deeper. Often to a post colonial attitude that we like to con the system. Love pulling strokes. Of course FF have been involved in so much. But they've been in power so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Micheal is a great Irish name. None of the blueshirts on here would call their icon Micheal Ó Coileáin 'Meehole'. Oh no they claim their party was his.

Henceforth Varadkar can legitimately be called Varwanker to these tan lovers.

Jeez, that post is the most anachronistic in this thread ,are you a time traveller or something?

Not just saying it but I find you an excellent, thoughtful poster. No agendas.

I've ranted on a bit like a lunatic this evening. I'm annoyed as people are just reverting to type and easy stereotypes, FF bad, Barry Cowen. Calling MM Mehole. All the I want thanks stuff.

Irish society's problems always run deeper. Often to a post colonial attitude that we like to con the system. Love pulling strokes. Of course FF have been involved in so much. But they've been in power so much.

This is not the Party Political Broadcast thread - it's about Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Azatadine wrote: »

Maybe if they can up it to quadruple defence it can bring us back in time and stop the whole thing from happening in the first place

Irish people not going wouldn't have called off the event. It's not just Irish people that go to Cheltenham.

I didn't mention Michael Martin at all you're the one mentioning him so don't be implying I'm criticising him when I haven't mentioned him. I simply replied to your post where you seemed to suggest Leo varadkar in his role as Taoiseach had some power over the Cheltenham festival which is clear he had no power to stop.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement