Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

A millennial being offended easily? Who would have guessed it?

You’re making a fool of yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

There's building going on next door, we were wondering since yesterday why we've been spared from the loud drilling and hammering and trucks in and out of the road from 7am. There was only one of them there up to last Monday, he still managed to make an incredible amount of noise but things have really escalated since the five of them are all there. The neighbour was up securing the site on their lunchbreak just now and she told me one of the builders has a suspected case, only a week after they were allowed to work together again.

I'm pretty sure I could hear him coughing outside from the room at the far side of the house so I'm not surprised. Dunno if the others are being tested as well, but they're not in work so fingers crossed they're doing the right thing and self isolating. Given the fact that they were obnoxious pricks any time we had dealings with them, I'm guessing they're probably in the pub especially seeing as there's not necessarily a positive test yet. Wouldn't you love to be eating your chicken wings beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Barely 20!

I wish I was 20 again...
    The increase in testing could the antibody testing be taken into account for some of the numbers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Far from relaxed. Father’s a healthcare worker & diabetic, I’m asthmatic.

I’m being realistic.

Well in that case you should be even more vigilant than ever now or is that a foolish comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Barely 20!
    I was thinking 21 to 23 not far off.
    I think you have been pretty balanced posting mainly sticking to facts. Slightly more conservative going into restrictions and slightly more relaxed now,coming out of them. Which makes sense given your background.

Fair dues to your regular posting of information. thankyou

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Doubt it. All wearing masks with extremely good air filtration, chances of infection are low.

You are fairly certain and outranged about a lot of stuff on here.
    Have you ever heard of The Dunning-Krueger Effect.
    Check it out. It might resonate with you.

518466.png

Well in that case you should be even more vigilant.

I don’t see any reason to be more vigilant now than I have been all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

#CORONASPEAK – the language of Covid-19 goes viral

A linguist looks at how the pandemic is changing English language use.

The slang words are among my favorites...

Coronacranky – short-tempered as a result of enduring lockdown

Flu bro (American) – a male coronavirus denier, from their assertion ‘It’s just the flu, bro.’

Miley Cyrus (UK rhyming slang) – coronavirus

Covidiot – a person behaving irresponsibly in conditions of containment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

s1ippy wrote: »
    There's building going on next door, we were wondering since yesterday why we've been spared from the loud drilling and hammering and trucks in and out of the road from 7am. There was only one of them there up to last Monday, he still managed to make an incredible amount of noise but things have really escalated since the five of them are all there. The neighbour was up securing the site on their lunchbreak just now and she told me one of the builders has a suspected case, only a week after they were allowed to work together again.

I'm pretty sure I could hear him coughing outside from the room at the far side of the house so I'm not surprised. Dunno if the others are being tested as well, but they're not in work so fingers crossed they're doing the right thing and self isolating. Given the fact that they were obnoxious pricks any time we had dealings with them, I'm guessing they're probably in the pub especially seeing as there's not necessarily a positive test yet. Wouldn't you love to be eating your chicken wings beside them.

jesus you've a story for everything, from people arriving uninvited at your door for a chat, invites to house parties, Americans randomly turning up this morning and now a building site with a suspected case.

My apologies for being sceptical but the more stories the less believable any of them become or your just one of the most popular and unfortunate people in the country at the moment that its all happening on your doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

A millennial being offended easily? Who would have guessed it?

The poster is not a millennial. Firmly Gen Z.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Alqua wrote: »
    The poster is not a millenial. Firmly Gen Z.

Do these ridiculous labels apply to Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

s1ippy wrote: »

one of the problems they had in S. Korea people going into work sick as they were either expected to or had no sick pay, why do people think this isnt going to happen in jobs where people cant work from home.

Sinn Fein's Louise O'Riley on RTE radio criticising the government for lack of clarity on travel. But then refuses to give a policy proposal on whether foreign travel should be banned.

With Dublin Airport in her constituency, this is a pathetic version of opposition that Sinn Fein promised.

US scientists not happy about resumption of flights.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1278298275985186816?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Why are some people so against any attempt to ease things?

Restrictions have to be relaxed or lifted and measures put in place. We need to live with this virus as it doesn't have an expiry date. And the only way to know what works or not is to go ahead and do it. Pubs, restaurants, hotels, gyms, cinemas, retail shops, sports, air travel, etc all needed to be allowed go about their business while safety measures are in place to minimize or prevent spread of Covid. And have strict monitoring in place that they are being adhered to.

What is the point of keeping very strict restrictions in place preventing businesses from opening if they could have potentially opened and not contributed to any rise or surge in cases? The only way to know and not hypothesize is to actually do it. Trust was put on the people to get us to where we are now. And that same trust needs to be leaned on once again to see how we get on when measures are in place.

If there is a huge spike and it's not just a once off. Our track and trace can identify the business area. And then allow a more refined and specific reaction rather than screaming lockdown again. It's common to see comments about how irresponsible it is to open the pubs and air travel to other countries doing well and that they will lead to huge increases. But what if they don't? What if people could get back to work, the cogs of the economy can start to turn a bit, people's mental health improved, etc and cases didn't spike and hospitals didn't become overwhelmed. Is that not worth exploring? We can't just tey wait this out.

People tend to forget our contact tracing is probably the most advanced in the world after South Korea. Very little countries test contacts like we do. We’re well capable of dealing with loosening restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Restrictions have to be relaxed or lifted and measures put in place. We need to live with this virus as it doesn't have an expiry date. And the only way to know what works or not is to go ahead and do it. Pubs, restaurants, hotels, gyms, cinemas, retail shops, sports, air travel, etc all needed to be allowed go about their business while safety measures are in place to minimize or prevent spread of Covid. And have strict monitoring in place that they are being adhered to.

What is the point of keeping very strict restrictions in place preventing businesses from opening if they could have potentially opened and not contributed to any rise or surge in cases? The only way to know and not hypothesize is to actually do it. Trust was put on the people to get us to where we are now. And that same trust needs to be leaned on once again to see how we get on when measures are in place.

If there is a huge spike and it's not just a once off. Our track and trace can identify the business area. And then allow a more refined and specific reaction rather than screaming lockdown again. It's common to see comments about how irresponsible it is to open the pubs and air travel to other countries doing well and that they will lead to huge increases. But what if they don't? What if people could get back to work, the cogs of the economy can start to turn a bit, people's mental health improved, etc and cases didn't spike and hospitals didn't become overwhelmed. Is that not worth exploring? We can't just tey wait this out.

I get the feeling there is disappointment that the virus never got bad in Ireland and they feel cheated of a good, movie-style disaster scenario. Now we are getting back to normal and they just aren't ready. It seems to be you find these people massively over-represented online but they rarely exist out in public, among friends, family, work colleagues, random people you pass on the street and interact with in shops (as well as the two pubs I've been in so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I have no problem with businesses open again. But now certain people want Covid coming in on flights - the more the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Do these ridiculous labels apply to Irish people?

Would hope not, but since it was used there - and seeing how everything negative is automatically blamed on millennials.

fr336 wrote: »
    I have no problem with businesses open again. But now certain people want Covid coming in on flights - the more the better.

Let's reopen. Let's get back to normal. Let's not allow any American who booked tickets in July to come so they don't lose money. After all if you live in Texas at the moment what do you have to lose? Matt Damon liked it? You are probably going to get it at home anyway. May aswell see the ancient Jedi island were Luke Skywalker lived. You only live once!

• Advertisement

Alqua wrote: »
    Would hope not, but seeing as it was used there.

I hope, Americans love to label. I think we're happy with saying young, middle aged and older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

People tend to forget our contact tracing is probably the most advanced in the world after South Korea. Very little countries test contacts like we do. We’re well capable of dealing with loosening restrictions.

What are you basing this on?

We haven't even released a track/trace app yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I think people will be shocked when it sinks in just how restrictive the "new normal" is. It's fine if we get a vaccine in 2021 and it is only for 6 to 12 months but we can't keep social distancing for 5+ years. If we are in the same spot in March 2021 with no vaccine in sight I'd be in favour of trying to eliminate the virus in Ireland.

gabeeg wrote: »

Im basing this on a fact? Every single contact is tested in Ireland.

snotboogie wrote: »
    I think people will be shocked when it sinks in just how restrictive the "new normal" is. It's fine if we get a vaccine in 2021 and it is only for 6 to 12 months but we can't keep social distancing for 5+ years. If we are in the same spot in March 2021 with no vaccine in sight I'd be in favour of trying to eliminate the virus in Ireland.

Crush the curve? Don't be ridiculous. That involves either (1) buy in from the whole world or else (2) closing borders to Ireland. Neither are practicable so don't even bother mentioning eliminating the virus in Ireland.

Similarly, a "new normal" is not one where social distancing lasts indefinitely following the reopening of society. It lasts a few weeks at best but with everything open including sports clubs, very quickly people won't adhere to social distancing, especially those not categorised as vulnerable. All you need to do is look at a few big gatherings recently (i.e. BLM protests, Stephen's Green public drinking and the Garda's funeral) to notice this if you haven't experienced it in your day to day life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

gabeeg wrote: »

The poster was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I get the feeling there is disappointment that the virus never got bad in Ireland and they feel cheated of a good, movie-style disaster scenario. Now we are getting back to normal and they just aren't ready. It seems to be you find these people massively over-represented online but they rarely exist out in public, among friends, family, work colleagues, random people you pass on the street and interact with in shops (as well as the two pubs I've been in so far).

You keep telling yourself that. You never think to yourself people advocating for prevention measures wanted the opposite of a movie disaster? Those who wanted to rush into "normality" at every stage would have given us that disaster movie...people like, I assume, yourself. The people you criticise are the reason the country can open up in June/July and not September/October.

Very good article on what we should do medium to long term.
    A man was fishing in the river when he noticed someone was drowning. He pulled them out and attempted to resuscitate them. Shortly afterwards, he noticed another person in the river and saved them too. He then noticed another, and another and another. Soon he was exhausted and realized he would not be able save all of the drowning people.
    He went further upstream to find out why all these people were falling into the river.
    On arriving further upstream, he discovered a broken bridge was causing people to fall into the river and end up drowning where he had been fishing. He decided he would fix the bridge to stop them falling in, instead of fishing them out after they were already drowning.
    • We provide 6 areas for concrete action to answer this wake up call based on my experience working on COVID-19:
    • Establish a foundation for a data-driven public health system
    • Surveillance testing for the masses
    • Mobile apps won’t save the day, but can be a powerful asset
    • Why Modeling is hard
    • We need a new institute for healthcare, disease, environmental, and economic data
    • A new vision of public health

https://medium.com/@dpatil/6-lessons-learned-to-get-ready-for-the-next-wave-of-covid-ee595766d4cb

fr336 wrote: »
    You keep telling yourself that. You never think to yourself people advocating for prevention measures wanted the opposite of a movie disaster? Those who wanted to rush into "normality" at every stage would have given us that disaster movie...people like, I assume, yourself. The people you criticise are the reason the country can open up in June/July and not September/October.

Well I'll keep telling myself that now whenever anyone says something at odds with our data showing plenty of hospital capacity, effective extinguishment of community transmission and that, even contracting the virus, there is generally minimal risk to those who are of the age and health who contribute to a functioning economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

ZX7R wrote:
    I wish I was 20 again... The increase in testing could the antibody testing be taken into account for some of the numbers
    Antibody testing isn't freely available to the general public.

Only people in Sligo and Dublin were contacted for participation in the antibody seroprevalence surveillance study. They wouldn't be included in testing numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement