Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Jeez, that post is the most anachronistic in this thread ,are you a time traveller or something?

Gave me a chuckle though. 1970s stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Martin seems to be going the Nicola Sturgeon route of being very cautious. I've no problem with it though.....we've seen flare ups in places like Israel and Australia, where they thought they had the virus well under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Ae Fond Kiss

Jeez, that post is the most anachronistic in this thread ,are you a time traveller or something?

Yeah I'm ranting a bit but it's not anachronistic. In January Charlie Flanagan wanted to celebrate some thugs from English jail's.

History is only ever anachronistic to foolish people who don't learn from the mistakes of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strazdas wrote: »
    Martin seems to be going the Nicola Sturgeon route of being very cautious. I've no problem with it though.....we've seen flare ups in places like Israel and Australia, where they thought they had the virus well under control.

Both self inflicted "flare ups"

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Irish people not going wouldn't have called off the event. It's not just Irish people that go to Cheltenham.

I didn't mention Michael Martin at all you're the one mentioning him so don't be implying I'm criticising him when I haven't mentioned him. I simply replied to your post where you seemed to suggest Leo varadkar in his role as Taoiseach had some power over the Cheltenham festival which is clear he had no power to stop.

And you know that for definite? The Irish outnumber the English, spend most of the betting money. The fact is you don't know if no Irish would have effected the festival.

You say you can't pin Cheltenham on Leo. You absolutely can. We were deep in March, he gave no advice. Very same as MM and the yanks.

Yeah I'm ranting a bit but it's not anachronistic. In January Charlie Flanagan wanted to celebrate some thugs from English jail's.

History is only ever anachronistic to foolish people who don't learn from the mistakes of the past.

But in these post good Friday agreement times you'll have to learn to love your inner southern unionist. especially. now that you are stuck in government with then for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Azatadine wrote: »

The Moderna vaccine side effects, experienced by more than half the subjects, is making them sicker than a dose of SARS-2 likely would. Lets hope the Oxford one is better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Strazdas wrote: »

Agreed, I'd rather some minor restrictions now (such as pubs remaining closed) to keep things ticking along smoothly rather than suffering much harsher restrictions in a few weeks if there is an unmanageably large outbreak. Prevention is worth a pound of cure!

fritzelly wrote: »
    This is not the Party Political Broadcast thread - it's about Covid

Look Fritz.

Covid is all encompassing. Government responses, how they react are relevant.

In my few weeks here I've learned your 'back seat moding'. I know you're one of a clique who likes to set the agenda but to me your just little Fritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Im not a FF or FG supporter but in fairness its now as if MM made the decision himself, its a govt decision.

True also Coveney (FG) is still over Foreign Affairs and no banning of flights or forced quarantine from areas with high Covid cases

Interesting euphemism for the Isreali situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

That's a real thoughtful post though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Agreed, I'd rather some minor restrictions now (such as pubs remaining closed) to keep things ticking along smoothly rather than suffering much harsher restrictions in a few weeks if there is an unmanageably large outbreak. Prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Also homes being restricted to gatherings of 10 as well, don't forget

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Moderna vaccine side effects, experienced by more than half the subjects, is making them sicker than a dose of SARS-2 likely would. Lets hope the Oxford one is better than that.

Linky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Yes where are the numbers, you expect numbers from everyone else here. And links to back up this

Interesting euphemism for the Isreali situation.

You've only to look at the beaches after the leader basically dismantled his health team and lifted the lockdown - did they really expect it to just go away
    Then Oz with it's randy security men

I guess we'll be subjected to a barrage of this type of guff for the next few years. Below relevant paragraph from a cnn story on moderna's vaccine trial. My emphasis.

The most commonly reported systemic adverse events following second vaccination at the 100-microgram dose were fatigue, among 80%; chills, among 80%; headache, among 60%; and myalgia or muscle pain, among 53%; all of which were transient and mild or moderate in severity, as noted in Moderna's press release.

I guess we'll be subjected to a barrage of this type of guff for the next few years. Below relevant paragraph from can story on moderna's vaccine trial.

The most commonly reported systemic adverse events following second vaccination at the 100-microgram dose were fatigue, among 80%; chills, among 80%; headache, among 60%; and myalgia or muscle pain, among 53%; all of which were transient and mild or moderate in severity, as noted in Moderna's press release.

So pretty much the same side effects you can get from the flu jab - nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Linky?

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2022483
    Solicited adverse events that occurred in more than half the participants included fatigue, chills, headache, myalgia, and pain at the injection site. Systemic adverse events were more common after the second vaccination, particularly with the highest dose, and three participants (21%) in the 250-μg dose group reported one or more severe adverse events.
    As noted above, one participant in the 25-μg group was withdrawn because of an unsolicited adverse event, transient urticaria, judged to be related to the first vaccination.

After the first vaccination, solicited systemic adverse events were reported by 5 participants (33%) in the 25-μg group, 10 (67%) in the 100-μg group, and 8 (53%) in the 250-μg group; all were mild or moderate in severity (Figure 1 and Table S2). Solicited systemic adverse events were more common after the second vaccination and occurred in 7 of 13 participants (54%) in the 25-μg group, all 15 in the 100-μg group, and all 14 in the 250-μg group, with 3 of those participants (21%) reporting one or more severe events.

None of the participants had fever after the first vaccination. After the second vaccination, no participants in the 25-μg group, 6 (40%) in the 100-μg group, and 8 (57%) in the 250-μg group reported fever; one of the events (maximum temperature, 39.6°C) in the 250-μg group was graded severe.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,677 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I can't remember what it was. I'm just so glad the pubs are closed until the 10th August and Trogan work is being done on the green list.

When you want good government you need FF. The Soldiers of Destiny won't let you down.

No quotes from obscure teen girl films like Varwanker is into.
    Micheal is a great Irish name. None of the blueshirts on here would call their icon Micheal Ó Coileáin 'Meehole'. Oh no they claim their party was his.

Henceforth Varadkar can legitimately be called Varwanker to these tan lovers.
    Do you think if FG were in power from 1997-2011 they'd have dealt better with these issues?

I know you can't prove it but I remember the 80s and the reckless borrowing of FG/Labour. FF and the corrupt, I'll give you that, Haughey led us out of that towards 1994 and the beginning of the Tiger.

Look Fritz.

Covid is all encompassing. Government responses, how they react are relevant.

In my few weeks here I've learned your 'back seat moding'. I know you're one of a clique who likes to set the agenda but to me your just little Fritz.
    Do not post in this thread again

Everyone else, back to the topic - we have a separate forum for Politics and a Current Affairs forum where other matters of government can be discussed

You've only to look at the beaches after the leader basically dismantled his health team and lifted the lockdown - did they really expect it to just go away
    Then Oz with it's randy security men

I was referring to "flare up" which seems to trivialise the situation IMO.

You can prebook now for the winter flu jab with pharmacies as demand will be high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Do you think groups of people with impaired judgement from alcohol gathered together in confinement spaces like pubs and nightclubs is a good idea during a pandemic?

We are where we are currently because nearly everyone has an understanding of how to stay safe.

I like many others fear when you have many people lacking self control from alcohol, we are going to get many new cases quick smart.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    You can prebook now for the winter flu jab with pharmacies as demand will be high

Uh? Most chemists you can call and get it the same day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Most sane, normal people would indeed hope the Oxford one is better if this is true. Shouldn't really even have to ask, but you should link that. Extradionary claims and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do we have flu death figures for first half of 2020 vs first half of 2019? I'd love to see them. Did Covid 'kill' the flu off?

Do you think groups of people with impaired judgement from alcohol gathered together in confinement spaces like pubs and nightclubs is a good idea during a pandemic?

We are where we are currently because nearly everyone has an understanding of how to stay safe.

I like many others fear when you have many people lacking self control from alcohol, we are going to get many new cases quick smart.

There is still the restriction of the numbers in enclosed spaces - many bars could have opened and kept social distancing while serving the community, increasing employment and bringing life back to some places

Agreed nightclubs should be outta the picture - but most pubs are not shoulder to shoulder. Most bars are pretty dead anyway Monday to Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Sorry this is just a lie .... it has given them flu like symptoms which is a side effect of many vaccinations including the flu jab as reported here
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-vaccine-moderna-final-phase-testing/

It has not made them sicker than coronavirus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

gizmo23 wrote: »
    Sorry this is just a lie .... it has given them flu like symptoms which is a side effect of many vaccinations including the flu jab as reported here
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-vaccine-moderna-final-phase-testing/

It has not made them sicker than coronavirus.

Covid is milder than the flu for majority of the people who get it, in fact most people wouldn't even know they are infected, so yes, side affects are worse than covid itself

US2 wrote: »
    Covid is milder than the flu for majority of the people who get it, in fact most people wouldn't even know they are infected, so yes, side affects are worse than covid itself

Did anyone on the trial need intubating or die?

Uh? Most chemists you can call and get it the same day

McCauley Health & Beauty Pharmacy advising pre booking now

Covid is milder than the flu for majority of the people who get it, in fact most people wouldn't even know they are infected, so yes, side affects are worse than covid

The symptoms that lasted a day ??

We both know that was not his intent in the message but we shall play that game.

So are we suggesting that the regulatory authorities that have approved it to go to the next phase are failing in their jobs ? And approving it for a trial of over 3,000 more people because if so I dont think I can defeat ignorance with logic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Did anyone on the trial need intubating or die?

Ah stop. No point even having a discussion with you

McCauley Health & Beauty Pharmacy advising pre booking now

Sounds stupid to me - thousands of places to get the jab, not like you would be waiting more than a day or two
    Last year called chemist at 2pm and told come up at 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

There is still the restriction of the numbers in enclosed spaces - many bars could have opened and kept social distancing while serving the community, increasing employment and bringing life back to some places

Agreed nightclubs should be outta the picture - but most pubs are not shoulder to shoulder. Most bars are pretty dead anyway Monday to Thursday

It would work if people kept their senses intact like in restaurants and shops.

I fail to see where groups of intoxicated people will keep their sh1t together to abide by health and safety standards currently in place.

I don’t know if pub owners will give a bollox, but I know many staff do who won’t be going back into that line of work.

I have 10 years served as a bar manager and in glad I left it a few years back. I would hate to be depending on it now.

Ah stop. No point even having a discussion with you

You're the one fearmongering the cure is worse than the disease - when in fact some patients had some mild side effects that quickly cleared

Also homes being restricted to gatherings of 10 as well, don't forget

Is that a a big deal? Who has more than ten people to their home often? It's essentially a ban on house parties

• Advertisement

It would work if people kept their senses intact like in restaurants and shops.

I fail to see where groups of intoxicated people will keep their sh1t together to abide by health and safety standards currently in place.

I don’t know if pub owners will give a bollox, but I know many staff do who won’t be going back into that line of work.

I have 10 years served as a bar manager and in glad I left it a few years back. I would hate to be depending on it now.

Maybe the case for city centers - plenty of other bars who don't cram them in

Could have easily come up with a plan for the numbers allowed in based on square footage (like they did with the "restaurant" bars)

Said it earlier - there will be a lot of bars opening next week serving food of some description

Sounds stupid to me - thousands of places to get the jab, not like you would be waiting more than a day or two

Personal opinion would be it's a great idea start hitting the message home hard and early get it get it get it.... if that includes pre booking something sound enough. Also will allow them to see uptake and calculate to a reasonable degree how many doses will be needed .. but I would also agree there will be plenty of places offering it.....

I am guessing with Covid the demand will be higher this year than from whom normally gets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

In fairness last year was a different world

gizmo23 wrote: »
    Personal opinion would be it's a great idea start hitting the message home hard and early get it get it get it.... if that includes pre booking something sound enough. Also will allow them to see uptake and calculate to a reasonable degree how many doses will be needed .. but I would also agree there will be plenty of places offering it.....

For the cost of it they should just make it free for anyone that wants it - my work offers it for free
    Money saved from people not being sick alone would pay for it

For the cost of it they should just make it free for anyone that wants it - my work offers it for free

I agree especially this year free for all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

And that’s why people are throwing tantrums over it?

I’m amazed that pubs plays a large part in so many peoples lives in Ireland in 2020.

So much so that they go ****1ng ballistic that they can’t go.

When your family and/or friends don’t join you for a pint as they have concerns, will you go full code red on them too?

I have friends who work in pubs who won’t go back when they reopen as they don’t trust customers when drink is taken and the irrational behaviour starts during a pandemic.

The same with 2 bouncers normally did night clubs who changed to security jobs in stores.
    A lad I haven't spoken to in three years because he robbed money off me for coke rang me the other day, he'd booked a table for 20 in the local (meal distancing etc possible) the day it was opening. I obviously told him he was a special friend of mine. Find out at the weekend he couldn't get a single person to come, not even his mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

More issues being raised about the house party clampdown, Gardaí appearently don't have the power to enter a house and shut one down, if they do its an illegal entry. They need a warrant.

It just keeps getting better. What a mess

I am guessing with Covid the demand will be higher this year than from whom normally gets

Agreed with that sentiment - just the prebooking sounds more like an advertising venture than an health care one

Odd way of looking at it..the symptoms or lack there of that a large number of people experience(or don't ) with COVID is obviously not the big problem here. It's the 1% who die and the 4-5% who need hospitalisation or ICU treatment. It affects a relatively small but unfortunately still very significant number of people( at a countrywide scale for example) very badly

100% agree it would also appeal to first timers. Which again once they get the first will come back the year after etc. Unfortunately though money will be king in some quarters

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement