Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Testing has doubled in that timeframe so the numbers don't necessarily represent an increase.

Proactive testing in certain situations have multiplied.

I see no data that suggests community testing where the most instances of the virus are now arising have multiplied to the same degree.

Therefore the 0.3% positive rate is a false number.

The important number which I'm sure NPHET have is what is the positive rate in the community compared to testing in the community, this is larger than 0.3%.

Again it is small numbers, but the trend is up 55% on the last 14 days.

If it is just a blip and the trend levels off, some form of phase 4/5 will be able to go ahead.

If they had opened phase 5 and the trend continued with the added danger of phase 5 opening then there could be a real problem come the end of September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The wage subsidy may be extended out to October. By the looks of it, they may be considering bailing out the tourism sector.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0716/1153688-wage-subsidy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    And there are just as many examples of people pulling together and doing what has to be done for the greater good. As has been happening here for the past 4 months with little complaint from the majority of the population, credit where it's due.

Majority? Hardly. A portion? Of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Majority? Hardly. A portion? Of course.

Majority? Definitely. How come our numbers are so low otherwise? Painting people out to be idiots to stroke your own ego while at the same time ignoring the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I'd agree with all of that.
    They are triaging the economy.
    With school opening so close they aren't risking the pubs as an additional risk to this.

If they really want to help publicans then they should allow them to use open space where possible to serve drinks. Like parks opposite pubs. Even fields etc.
    This is a non linear problem and they should really start thinking of solutions with virus in mind. I know weather is ****e here but use marquees like weddings etc with the walls open. It's windy here so open air is much less risky.

Given all the events are postponed, event organisers would benefit too.

They'd really want to be looking at solutions for the next 2 / 3 years.

Definitely agree with your timescale.

People need to stop looking at this as weeks or days, this is going to be around for months to years at least. A prudent approach is not to just lock stuff down but to start encouraging long term plans to live with the virus.

I can understand the anxiety with regards to schools, I’d been saying it the other day that I thought they were really focusing on making sure schools will
    Open but they need to be clearer much quicker. I do wonder if maybe they should of just pushed pubs out to start of September because if they extend phase 4 again it will look very bad planning.

As a company I think prudence would be to plan adapt for years of this virus. I’m doing it myself but I think people need to mentally get comfortable with this probable fact. This will help them adapt their own behaviours and work with specifying to change (Instead of fighting the inevitable).

I think a surge of numbers is inevitable at some stage. I think there’s a reasonable chance of an emergency situation when flu/cold season kicks in. I think the prudent thing is to change our behaviors now so these issues aren’t worse when they happen.

We are connected globally to every country. We can limit our exposure but ultimately this is going to be a battle that we are learning to manage as we go along. Mistakes will inevitably be made but an unforgivable mistake would be to under estimate the virus. I believe the western countries that will succeeed will be the ones that adapt better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Eod100 wrote: »
    So non essential travel still advised against but they are publishing a green list on Monday. Does anyone see a logic in this? https://twitter.com/morningireland/status/1283643972942991360?s=19
    Yes, nonessential travel can still be advised against but if you do have to travel, there will be a list of countries from which if you travel to/back will not need to quarantine / restrict your movement for fourteen days when coming into Ireland.

If you travel to or through a country not on the green list you will be required to quarantine / restrict your movement for fourteen days when coming into Ireland.

It seems perfectly logical to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Boggles wrote: »
    Proactive testing in certain situations have multiplied.

I see no data that suggests community testing where the most instances of the virus are now arising have multiplied to the same degree.

Therefore the 0.3% positive rate is a false number.

The important number which I'm sure NPHET have is what is the positive rate in the community compared to testing in the community, this is larger than 0.3%.

Again it is small numbers, but the trend is up 55% on the last 14 days.

If it is just a blip and the trend levels off, some form of phase 4/5 will be able to go ahead.

If they had opened phase 5 and the trend continued with the added danger of phase 5 opening then there could be a real problem come the end of September.

I think you are wrong here. Community transmission means its unknown where someone picked up the virus. As far as I'm aware, the majority of cases these last few weeks and days have been healthcare workers, from interactions with a known contact, or travel. Can you show me where you are seeing that majority of infections are comunity spread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

If the virus was as deadly and as contagious as the authorities say it is then wouldn't there be special bio-hazard bins for the disposal of single-use protective masks? Yet there are no such bins in public places that I know of.

This is the silver bullet we've been looking for. Bravo!

Considering we didn't have enough masks what makes you think we have enough biohazard bins to put them in.

I personally think there is a gap in the market for biohazard everything.
    Tootbrushes, toilet rolls, teeshirts, jackets etc.

Majority? Definitely. How come our numbers are so low otherwise? Painting people out to be idiots to stroke your own ego while at the same time ignoring the facts.

Are you ok? :pac:
    First you quoted me out of no where calling me an internet intellectual (IE some idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about) now you've said I'm stroking my own ego?

So I can't quite decide which of the following you are:
    - someone whose posting style is to attack the poster and not the post.
    Or
    - you have some issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

NotMOL wrote: »
    I honesty think now is the perfect time for the GOV to make a new bank holiday...we already have the least amount of bank holidays in the EU and now the virus has ruined all our bank holidays since April.

Here, here. NotMOL for Taoiseach. :pac: I definitely wouldn't say no to another bank holiday.

Are you ok? :pac:
    First you quoted me out of no where calling me an internet intellectual (IE some idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about) now you've said I'm stroking my own ego?

So I can't quite decide which of the following you are:
    - someone whose posting style is to attack the poster and not the post.
    Or
    - you have some issues.

I've got no issues thanks. I don't go around calling the majority of the population stupid when the fact is the majority of people have complied with the restrictions asked of them. If you want to **** on that and then act baffled when people pull you up on it then go ahead.

I've got no issues thanks. I don't go around calling the majority of the population stupid when the fact is the majority of people have complied with the restrictions asked of them. If you want to **** on that and then act baffled when people pull you up on it then go ahead.

Bit of both I see.

Bit of both I see.

Not at all. Maybe stick to ****posting and quit with the amateur psychology you're not as smart as you think you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

is_that_so wrote: »
    There'll be a briefing today so that and other questions will no doubt be asked.

He was asked it yesterday and he dodged it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/107419
    On Tuesday April 14, Sally was admitted to Mayo University Hospital with multiple conditions. She was a 'high-risk' patient with a congenital heart defect. Sally was moved to the Covid-19 ward that same night, despite twice testing NEGATIVE for Covid-19. 2/14

Sally's parents, Abdullah and Rula Maaz, were "not allowed" to visit Sally from Tuesday night to Sunday night. They have serious concerns over the treatment of Sally during those days.

On Wednesday night Sally called her mother in distress, after a nurse gave her a pill which induced a severe allergic attack (including vomiting, choking and breathing problems). Sally's family said the medication "clotted up her lungs" and made her condition worse.

Why was Sally Maaz placed in a Covid ward? Surely, putting someone who has tested negative for Covid into a Covid ward has to be manslaughter by gross negligence. Why is there no Garda investigation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @LiquidZeb, @B.A._Baracus - back to your corners or face a threadban.

US2 wrote: »
    I think you are wrong here. Community transmission means its unknown where someone picked up the virus. As far as I'm aware, the majority of cases these last few weeks and days have been healthcare workers, from interactions with a known contact, or travel. Can you show me where you are seeing that majority of infections are comunity spread?

I didn't say unknown community transmission, I said transmission in the community, as in outside of healthcare facilities where the majority of the cases have been and where the majority of the recent proactive testing has taken place.

There have been 1,976 clusters of Covid-19. The latest report from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre show there were an additional 96 outbreaks in private households in the week to last Sunday. There were a total of 1,217 up to Sunday compared with 1,121 a week earlier.

Most of these were in the east where 72 were recorded, while there were 13 in the northwest; eight in the southeast; and one each in the south, the west and the midwest regions.

There were three outbreaks reported in nursing homes over the same period. One of these was in the west while the other two were in the northeast.

There is certainly health care professional still being infected, but the data is clear, it has now moved out of hospitals and care homes and into the community, where as that wasn't the case not that long ago.

The numbers are small though, so no need for panic, just a bit of caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Why was Sally Maaz placed in a Covid ward? Surely, putting someone who has tested negative for Covid into a Covid ward has to be manslaughter by gross negligence. Why is there no Garda investigation?

Similar thing happened in waterford but thankfully no deaths. A patient was in a ward and was only later tested for the virus and moved him when he was positive. One of the other patients in the ward was recovering from a diabetic coma and he said before no was wearing ppe and the next day he woke to the nurses all wearing the gear. He and the others were not informed or tested. He found out from a relative who heard about it on the net.

Its a very sad thing that happened that family, and the hospital have questions to answer. I know of another patient of that hospital who ended in ICU having gone in to hospital covid free, were kept in the Covid ward, were sent home and a few days later developed symptoms.

However, the agenda being pushed by the author /indymedia on this will not help this investigation in anyway. Their approach is best summed up by the last line of the article:
    The hospitals will go to any length just to bump up the numbers for corona virus- including murdering innocent people . When they're not doing that they're lying on death certs. This is all to push the vaccine agenda

"I didn't say community transmission i said transmission in the community"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Indymedia is not a reliable source of information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It was nice to see the numbers down again yesterday

I didn't say unknown community transmission, I said transmission in the community, as in outside of healthcare facilities where the majority of the cases have been and where the majority of the recent proactive testing has taken place.
    "I didn't say community transmission i said transmission in the community"

Quote the whole thing lad, it just makes you look pretty disingenuous if you don't.

It's not a great look.

:confused:

I imagine it is more to do with their being an upward trend on instances of the virus with the majority being community spread.

Up 55% on the last 14 days.

Small numbers, but still, we know what can happen from small numbers.

The reality is if they let the pubs have it and are unable to open schools fully at the end of the next month there will be proper anger and economic hardship.

And when I say anger I don't mean people whinging about pubs when the majority of them have been opened already for nearly 3 weeks. :pac:

Is community spread different to community transmission? Same as community transmission is different to transmission in the community..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Seen on Reddit Ireland

I miss politics.ie so much. That place was so funny. I would love to read politics.ie contributions to this pandemic.

I see you weren't quick enough with your editing either there lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Is community spread different to community transmission? Same as community transmission is different to transmission in the community..

Community transmission is transmission from unknown source.

Community spread is the same as I understand it

Community transmission is transmission from unknown source.

I'm aware of that, I literally said exactly that a few posts ago.

He was asked it yesterday and he dodged it.
    He'll be on home turf today, so you'd expect them to hit him again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

I'm aware of that, I literally said exactly that a few posts ago.

No need for that rudeness. I am reading this thread from bottom up.

• Advertisement

owlbethere wrote: »
    I miss politics.ie so much. That place was so funny. I would love to read politics.ie contributions to this pandemic.
    It's still there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's still there!

The site was down many times for me for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Wonder at what stage in this crisis will our dail descend into this....I'd say February.

https://twitter.com/TarekFatah/status/1283475122729431042?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Wonder at what stage in this crisis will our dail descend into this....I'd say February.

No social distancing, no masks. That's showing a bad example.

Jesus its like that bit in airplane where everyone starts going ballistic when the pilot gets sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Masks should help alot. Good video on transmission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ4Epf8i1uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'd love to see that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

Something like that might actually be good for the dail.

Good old traveler style, bare knuckle fight to sort out a few disputes. Shake hands at the end

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Could be today.

'What do ya mean the dail bar is closed for another 3 weeks?!?!?!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Of course it could but don't know why Varadkar has to say it after the news last night. Need to have an end goal for these measures to be anyway sustainable.

Well people have been complaining that nothing was said about the potential for the next phase to be rolled out early not actually happening. Now he's said that it may not happen weeks in advance. Can't win really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Jesus its like that bit in airplane where everyone starts going ballistic when the pilot gets sick.

Surely you can't be serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Surely you can't be serious?

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley

mloc123 wrote: »
    Indymedia is not a reliable source of information

I'm not saying it is. But was Sally Maaz placed in a Covid ward after testing negative? If she was, why was she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

The human race is its own worst enemy, if the minority of covidiots had of stopped getting locked at house parties, if a few of the pubs stopped trying it on and not following the rules then the cases wouldnt be causing concern and phase 4 would have gone ahead.

If these idiots could just stick to what what is being asked of them and do the basics then things will return to a relatively normal state, but nope they cant even do that. If it doesnt effect me **** em ill do what I want mantra

Shin

• Advertisement

If the government wants to keep the R number low enough and long enough for schools to re-open after the summer holidays then why is it still permitting flights from Texas, which is a Covid hotspot, to land in Ireland? Doesn't letting those flights land in Ireland make it hypocritical of the government to postpone Phase 4?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Well people have been complaining that nothing was said about the potential for the next phase to be rolled out early not actually happening. Now he's said that it may not happen weeks in advance. Can't win really.

I just think its probably not the best thing to say when lot of people's morale down tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

If the government wants to keep the R number low enough and long enough for schools to re-open after the summer holidays then why is it still permitting flights from Texas, which is a Covid hotspot, to land in Ireland? Doesn't letting those flights land in Ireland make it hypocritical of the government to postpone Phase 4?

This is all about money and the scope of it all in the long run, schools and public health come second.

You have to remember that what you're being fed by them through media channels isn't the reality of the situation and conversations discussing true motives are being had behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Just heard on the news that Ireland's R0 is now at 1.8!

Now I know that with low numbers the R0 is less accurate, but isn't anything above 2 very dangerous?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Just heard on the news that Ireland's R0 is now at 1.8!

Now I know that with low numbers the R0 is less accurate, but isn't anything above 2 very dangerous?

Estimated to be between 1.2 and 1.8 afaik. Think there's more movement when cases are lower. Prof Nolan will probably have the figures later this evening

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement