Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

This suggests then that the nightly figures aren't being broken down into acute beds and that the headline figure covers both ICU and acute beds as was suggested last night

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1283806474431602690?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

fritzelly wrote: »
    Hmmm what is that supposed to mean - possibly not new infections, just ones we're finding thru testing

It means people testing positive this week picked up the virus last week, and that we can suppress it even more, which I highly doubt unless we shut everything down forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Positivity rate remains very very low - Prof Nolan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    21 new cases

1 death (RIP)

RIP to all the people who died across Ireland today and everyday from a myriad of illnesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Peak of infection we were at 200 per 100k (and we were barely testing anyone!)
    Now at 3.91 - we're doomed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭ronano

I think I might have missed Dr Ronan Glynn saying the cases per 100,000. Anyone know what is it for the last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    That dickhead on virgin media news there on Grafton Street. "Why would I wear a mask when it won't affect me. I'm only 25".

Absolute fool. Don't mind anyone else sure.

The arsehole in question...
    https://twitter.com/somm_philip/status/1283807002376974336

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

7 day average is 20 cases a day and we had 21 cases today yet the media are all talking up a second wave..

ronano wrote: »
    I think I might have missed Dr Ronan Glynn saying the cases per 100,000. Anyone know what is it for the last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The line graph showing the overall picture is noticeably on the way back up. Quite telling. It won't be as steep as the first wave but telling all the same.

• Advertisement

"Very difficult to accurately estimate reproduction number" - Prof. Nolan

R0 best guess is 1.4

1.8 was the only real figure yesterday for headline news and fearmongering

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Did Professor Nolan say that 1 in 5.are either directly or indirectly associated with travel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

R0 best guess is 1.4

1.8 was the only real figure yesterday for headline news and fearmongering

In all fairness if that R is based on the last number of days rather than a snapshot of a day or two I can see why there's some concern. 1.4 is a pretty big increase from the previous estimates.

I'm not a big fan of how they're putting all the burden on most of the population when travel inwards is still a massive issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'm not a big fan of how they're putting all the burden on most of the population when travel inwards is still a massive issue

Varadkar was talking about testing for incoming passengers from hotspots earlier.

I'm not quite sure why they're just talking about it rather than doing it right enough.

In all fairness if that R is based on the last number of days rather than a snapshot of a day or two I can see why there's some concern. 1.4 is a pretty big increase from the previous estimates.

Shows its pointless referring to it at this stage
    Yesterday it was 1.2 to 1.8 - everyone only talking about 1.8
    Today best guess is it's 1.4
    World of difference

Next week it could be 0.5

They're dying to re-open the schools

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This second wave is outta control
    Back to 2km post haste!

• Advertisement

Rte rolling out Geroge Lee this evening... fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

This suggests then that the nightly figures aren't being broken down into acute beds and that the headline figure covers both ICU and acute beds as was suggested last night

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1283806474431602690?s=19

I’ve seen the numbers reported that way by journalists but the hse operations report doesn’t line up. Example, there is someone in ICU in mercy but the acute bed graph has none shown. Same last week, Tallaght showed none in general beds but one in ICU.

M

is_that_so wrote: »
    Back to 2km post haste!

I don't think they will have the support of the public for a new 2km restriction again with our airports wide open. I certainly wouldn't be happy being stopped and questioned about my movements at a checkpoint when thousands of people are arriving in to the country each day with the vast majority unchecked as to their health or future movements.

"I don't think NPHETs message is confusing"

That's a shot at the government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

George Lee scaremongering on RTE now

Zara King's actually quite good tonight I'm surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

KrustyUCC wrote: »

It's why it called TV programming.

I’ve seen the numbers reported that way by journalists but the hse operations report doesn’t line up. Example, there is someone in ICU in mercy but the acute bed graph has none shown. Same last week, Tallaght showed none in general beds but one in ICU.

Yeah which is what my understanding of it was, 1 number was acute beds and the other was ICU. Not that the main number was the total of both

• Advertisement

Has Zara King being back to journalism school

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I understand why Russia is getting the third degree for potentially trying to hack and steal vaccine research but why the hell should they have to do that to see this research? Vaccine research should be shared globally, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's clear enough that NPHET/Glynn have a quite different view on travel to the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Exactly because facts are just lies.

NPHET has no input into the green list. F*ck me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Has Zara King being back to journalism school

She's a national treasure.

• Advertisement

It's clear enough that NPHET/Glynn have a quite different view on travel to the government.
    Glynn is not happy with the government, this press conference has basically confirmed that

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

1 in 5 cases are travel related but their going to ignore it and blame every other factor ...i don't understand it

quartz1 wrote: »
    1 in 5 cases are travel related but their going to ignore it and blame every other factor ...i don't understand it
    I'm thinking this is not NPHET's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Will Fr Martin sack his public health team?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

quartz1 wrote: »

But what's the ratio of Irish people bringing it back, or people visiting the country bringing it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As opposed to doing something else ? George lee was the guy who on twitter said "great!" When the German lab results were added into the total numbers whenever that was. I'd no issue with the numbers been added to give an accurate number but I don't think tweeting "great!" is an acceptable response from a journalist from our national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Shooting messengers seems to be the main recreational amusement for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

"100% safe environment" he claims. Is it hermetically sealed and everyone is tested negative before entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Not the best idea to post that on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any county by county figures

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Any county by county figures
    none yet

M

Great question, zero have arisen from pubs operating as restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

"Twitter is not a great source of epidemiological data"

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Boggles wrote:
    There is no data to support a huge increase in testing outside hospital, care settings, etc. The rise in testing was because they went in and did another wave of proactive sweeps. We have plenty of testing capacity in the system.
    Community testing relies on the public to come forward if they experience any symptom no matter how mild. The message from NPHET has been for a while now to come forward and contact your GP to be tested.

But we are seeing that even those who were contact traced and required to be tested are just refusing to do it.

We can target testing in controlled healthcare environments but we can't control the public.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement