Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

is_that_so wrote: »
    You mean when we had north of 300 cases and she wanted to know about hairdressers?

Or giggling while reading out the number of deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

US2 wrote: »
    There as essential as restaurants and gastro bars!!

I'm not the one saying 2 legs good four legs bad. I'm part of project fear don't you know so obviously I'd close the lot. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fritzelly wrote: »
    Or giggling while reading out the number of deaths
    That I am glad I missed. TBF few if any of them have been any good in their questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Renjit wrote: »
    Bring some sweets.

I'm lost here. What do you mean ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Do we know what number of our deaths are suspected cases and what number are confirmed cases. Is that reported anywhere?

It doesn't seem to be reported but it really should be. We seem to be denotifying a ridiculous number of deaths. Going by the The reported Island of Ireland numbers thread stickied here, since 27 June we have announced 30 deaths but denotified 13 in that time. There is something wrong with classification method if we have to denotify so many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I was reading there about the R rate. They are saying their best estimate is that it is 1.5 but that it could be as high as 1.8. Does that mean it could be as low as 1.2 if they are looking at a margin of error?

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to be reported but it really should be. We seem to be denotifying a ridiculous number of deaths. Going by the The reported Island of Ireland numbers thread stickied here, since 27 June we have announced 30 deaths but denotified 13 in that time. There is something wrong with classification method if we have to denotify so many.
    Our reported deaths include all possible COVID-19 deaths as well. Some turn out not to be and are denotified but it's good to record that data anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Hurrache wrote: »
    "100% safe environment" he claims. Is it hermetically sealed and everyone is tested negative before entry?

Even the hand sanitizers have 99% guarantee :pac: I like his confidence. It's infectious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do the Healy Raes have a pub or two themselves?

At least 1 afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You mean when we had north of 300 cases and she wanted to know about hairdressers?

Or when she asked Tony was he going to make an announcement about a vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

They count deaths even with no test carried out, and people who died with covid but not from it.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1278995351169613824?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Hurrache wrote: »
    Stupid people are stupid people, even if we lived in a dictatorship.

It's more than that. The government has pandered to the fearful who want mandatory masks and retention of restrictions. They didn't have to as that group will always adhere to whatever restrictions are in place. The group that they really ned to keep on board is the very group that they are admonishing like bold children at every turn... the youth. If the youth decide that they have had enough it could all fall asunder. And a hell of a lot of young people won't consider that lad stupid at all, in fact, some will think he's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Two self obsessed idiots. A huge loss to any government.

Theyd lose far more people if they pandered to the idiots.

But they wouldn't, as most people are willing to follow the restrictions. They don't have to lose many for this to fall apart. Even if 100% of the people they lose are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Our reported deaths include all possible COVID-19 deaths as well. Some turn out not to be and are denotified but it's good to record that data anyway.

It is but it would also be great to see the split between suspected and confirmed deaths. With the low case numbers of late I suspect alot of the deaths lately are suspected cases and not confirmed cases. That data would be very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Or we could just count the suspected deaths separately and include them in the deaths tally once confirmed. We had a suspected deaths figure early on but dropped it. The deaths announced are inflated if they include suspected cases. We had the ridiculous situation last week where we had minus deaths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Neither would I. Take away it's pubs the way it was handled was very unfair.

Could Whelans not have rustled up some food in any event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

polesheep wrote: »
    It's more than that. The government has pandered to the fearful who want mandatory masks and retention of restrictions. They didn't have to as that group will always adhere to whatever restrictions are in place. The group that they really ned to keep on board is the very group that they are admonishing like bold children at every turn... the youth. If the youth decide that they have had enough it could all fall asunder. And a hell of a lot of young people won't consider that lad stupid at all, in fact, some will think he's great.

No, it's just stupid people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Eod100 wrote: »

I'm just checking to be sure, you know that is the Cork version of Waterford Whispers don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I was reading there about the R rate. They are saying their best estimate is that it is 1.5 but that it could be as high as 1.8. Does that mean it could be as low as 1.2 if they are looking at a margin of error?

Could be, but confidence interval need not necessarily be symmetric about best estimate.

• Advertisement

I'm just checking to be sure, you know that is the Cork version of Waterford Whispers don't you?

Still it's believable

Course! I didn't actually think he had really said that :pac:

wadacrack wrote: »
    Not the best idea to post that on twitter
    People who know Whelan's will continue to go there, the rest will scream and rant and swear to boycott a place they'll never visit anyway. It's another example of the singular decision-making going awry and nobody even getting a jotter out to scribble down some ideas of what to do next. I suspect we're going to see a whole lot more of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

RTE are running a story about the suspected cases in hospital. People who are in hospital for completely different matters and have been tested. Christ almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

RTE are running a story about the suspected cases in hospital. People who are in hospital for completely different matters and have been tested. Christ almighty.

133 confirmed cases in 7 days, the woman beside me in work thinks the country is riddled with it now. No calming her down this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Can't wait til this is all over and these threads are carved on stone tablets in the national history museum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I know someone who has been in hospital 3 times in the past 6 weeks with a different issue and has been tested on each occasion all negative of course. There’s no end to the scaremongering by any of the media. I’ve seen zero positive news come from any outlet. Sky news ran with the good news from the oxford vaccine today but not a single mention on any irish news site.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Speak Now wrote: »
    133 confirmed cases in 7 days, the woman beside me in work thinks the country is riddled with it now. No calming her down this morning.

Reminds me of early on in the thread there was a poster who said there were two women in his work place who had panic attacks and they had to call an ambulance for one of them. 😮

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I know someone who has been in hospital 3 times in the past 6 weeks with a different issue and has been tested on each occasion all negative of course. There’s no end to the scaremongering by any of the media. I’ve seen zero positive news come from any outlet. Sky news ran with the good news from the oxford vaccine today but not a single mention on any irish news site.
    Isn't it really just more evidence of normal hospital activity? (Acting) CMO just lists the number without any fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Two self obsessed idiots. A huge loss to any government.

Theyd lose far more people if they pandered to the idiots.

I would make a distinction between the two,the publicans livelihood and that of his employees are at risk as for the other guy enough said.

Reminds me of early on in the thread there was a poster who said there were two women in his work place who had panic attacks and they had to call an ambulance for one of them. ��
    A workplace I was in and out of, had two "high risk" employees who were out the door home on Mar 1. One did have asthma, mild though and the other lady was in the middle of tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't blame Eamon Ryan falling asleep in the Dail today

Isn't it really just more evidence of normal hospital activity? (Acting) CMO just lists the number without any fuss.

It is but the media run with it as if all these people have Covid

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I don't blame Eamon Ryan falling asleep in the Dail today

He wasn't the only one - Mattie McGrath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ISky news ran with the good news from the oxford vaccine today but not a single mention on any irish news site.

It was one of the main stories yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

He deleted the Tweet since

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Both the Irish Times and RTE covered it. People keep spouting this horse shít about Irish press ignoring stories or burying them. They keep doing it no matter how many times they get called on their bullshít and shown they are wrong.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/health-pharma/moderna-vaccine-produces-covid-antibodies-in-early-trial-1.4305004

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0715/1153367-world-covid19-coronavirus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

D.Q wrote: »
    Can't wait til this is all over and these threads are carved on stone tablets in the national history museum.

You'd want to start chipping away there if you'd like to see the first thread completed!

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I was busy all day. What is the good news about the Oxford Vaccine?

I had so much faith in the Oxford Vaccine. I was here on boards willing people to stay on course with the guidelines and I had so much hope for the vaccine for winter time.

Fingers crossed 🤞

House party cluster in Co. Derry. Mobile testing unit set up in the town to prevent spread.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/0716/1153799-derry-covid-cluster/

Briefings summary by Laura on Reddit Ireland

New Cases: 21
    Denotified: 6
    Total Cases: 25,698
    New Death: 1
    Denotified: N/A
    Total Deaths: 1,749

Over the past 14 days
    • Cases notified: 239
    • Cases occuring during this time: 186
    • Median age: 33
    • Males: 71
    • Females: 113
    • Underlying conditions: 41
    • Healthcare workers: 67
    • Cases in Dublin: 96
    • Cases in Kildare: 19
    • Cases in Cork 11
    • Remaining 60 spread across: 15 other counties
    Hospital
    • Confirmed cases in hospital: 11
    • Of these, in ICU: 8
    Residential Settings (Includes nursing homes)
    • Clusters: 468
    • Total Cases: 7455
    • Total Deaths: 1107
    Nursing Homes
    • Clusters: 266
    • Total Cases: 5864
    • Total Deaths: 985
    Modelling Data
    • Average cases per day at the start of June: 9
    • Average cases per day now: 19
    • All other indicators of sever disease (Hospitalisations, ICU, deaths) remain very low and stable
    • Concerning increase in number of cases, and those not presenting yet as sever cases
    • Over 7,000 tests per day - lots of targeted contacts of healthcare workers and close contacts
    • Central issue is that case numbers are increase
    • 5 day average over entire pandemic, with two measures of incidence - date swab taken, date result confirmed. Until June 9-10. Since late June the average is around 20
    • Looking at 14 day cumulative day incidence - at peak we were at a little over 200/100,000. End of June it was very low, but is beginning to rise again
    • Mix of cases is important to know - 40% are sporadic, isolated occurring in households/extended families
    • Seeing an increasing number of clusters in the past few weeks
    • Level of detection in healthcare workers has remained constant
    • Very few cases in residential care facilities
    • About 60% of cases are identifiable as a close contact of a confirmed case
    • 20% in hospital/healthcare settings
    • Fewer than 10% are imported cases
    • 1/5 cases are imported - either someone with the virus enters the country, or infects someone else in the country.
    • Our model we know is an overestimate, which gives us a little over 2
    • The Imperial Model is based on deaths, and so is an underestimate
    • Best estimate is that it is above 1 - we are confident in this.
    • Best estimate this week is 1.4. Could be as high as 1.8
    • Last week it was 1.2
    • Showed a number of graphs showing what would happen if R number increased - couldn't make it out
    • The model predicts for an R = 1.2 we would be seeing 13 cases
    • For R=1.8 we would be seeing 30 cases today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

House party cluster in Co. Derry. Mobile testing unit set up in the town to prevent spread.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2020/0716/1153799-derry-covid-cluster/

I guess it's positive that these cases are being caught and tested. Obviously prevention is best cure but good that here and in NI, authorities quick to react.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Briefings summary by Laura on Reddit Ireland

New Cases: 21
    Denotified: 6
    Total Cases: 25,698
    New Death: 1
    Denotified: N/A
    Total Deaths: 1,749

Over the past 14 days
    • Cases notified: 239
    • Cases occuring during this time: 186
    • Median age: 33
    • Males: 71
    • Females: 113
    • Underlying conditions: 41
    • Healthcare workers: 67
    • Cases in Dublin: 96
    • Cases in Kildare: 19
    • Cases in Cork 11
    • Remaining 60 spread across: 15 other counties
    Hospital
    • Confirmed cases in hospital: 11
    • Of these, in ICU: 8
    Residential Settings (Includes nursing homes)
    • Clusters: 468
    • Total Cases: 7455
    • Total Deaths: 1107
    Nursing Homes
    • Clusters: 266
    • Total Cases: 5864
    • Total Deaths: 985
    Modelling Data
    • Average cases per day at the start of June: 9
    • Average cases per day now: 19
    • All other indicators of sever disease (Hospitalisations, ICU, deaths) remain very low and stable
    • Concerning increase in number of cases, and those not presenting yet as sever cases
    • Over 7,000 tests per day - lots of targeted contacts of healthcare workers and close contacts
    • Central issue is that case numbers are increase
    • 5 day average over entire pandemic, with two measures of incidence - date swab taken, date result confirmed. Until June 9-10. Since late June the average is around 20
    • Looking at 14 day cumulative day incidence - at peak we were at a little over 200/100,000. End of June it was very low, but is beginning to rise again
    • Mix of cases is important to know - 40% are sporadic, isolated occurring in households/extended families
    • Seeing an increasing number of clusters in the past few weeks
    • Level of detection in healthcare workers has remained constant
    • Very few cases in residential care facilities
    • About 60% of cases are identifiable as a close contact of a confirmed case
    • 20% in hospital/healthcare settings
    • 1/5 cases are imported - either someone with the virus enters the country, or infects someone else in the country.
    • Our model we know is an overestimate, which gives us a little over 2
    • The Imperial Model is based on deaths, and so is an underestimate
    • Best estimate is that it is above 1 - we are confident in this.
    • Best estimate this week is 1.4. Could be as high as 1.8
    • Last week it was 1.2
    • Showed a number of graphs showing what would happen if R number increased - couldn't make it out
    • The model predicts for an R = 1.2 we would be seeing 13 cases
    • For R=1.8 we would be seeing 30 cases today
    Got attacked by Laura awhile ago for stating that the Sligo cluster affected the r-number :D

Got attacked by Laura awhile ago for stating that the Sligo cluster affected the r-number :D

Yeah as great as her note taking is of the briefings, she comes across far too blunt in her replies many times

Yeah as great as her note taking is of the briefings, she comes across far too blunt in her replies many times
    I post the county data on those threads daily idk if you saw but far too many times people have no clue what the numbers mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is one of these overall and one over a more recent timeframe, or what's going on?

owlbethere wrote: »
    I was busy all day. What is the good news about the Oxford Vaccine?

I had so much faith in the Oxford Vaccine. I was here on boards willing people to stay on course with the guidelines and I had so much hope for the vaccine for winter time.

Fingers crossed 🀞

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-oxford-vaccine-could-provide-double-protection-report-12029406

I post the county data on those threads daily idk if you saw but far too many times people have no clue what the numbers mean

I have seen them, fair play

I think the average user on Reddit Ireland would be under 30 (generally speaking). Wheras here, on average, a Boardsie in this thread would be over 30 (again, not all, but in general)

So you'll get two very different kind of posters in many Covid threads on Reddit Ireland and Boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I have seen them, fair play

I think the average user on Reddit Ireland would be under 30 (generally speaking). Wheras here, on average, a Boardsie in this thread would be over 30 (again, not all, but in general)

So you'll get two very different kind of posters in many Covid threads on Reddit Ireland and Boards

Fvck me that’s controversial........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is one of these overall and one over a more recent timeframe, or what's going on?

10% are people traveling (back) into the country.

20% relates to those people and the ones they infect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement