Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

US2 wrote: »
    Do you have any stats on the ages of people admitted to icu and the age of survivors?

We get none of that no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

The Taoiseach seems to be in Brussels at the moment. Do you think he will fill in the form and self-isolate for 14 days when he returns, or will the rules not apply to people like him?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0717/1153828-eu-summit/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Polar101 wrote: »
    The Taoiseach seems to be in Brussels at the moment. Do you think he will fill in the form and self-isolate for 14 days when he returns, or will the rules not apply to people like him?

He is in essential business.

He will be tested on return and again after 7 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He is in essential business.

He will be tested on return and again after 7 days.

He still has to follow the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Polar101 wrote: »

ah jesus man. Its not as if he's off galivanting to the beach or hitting the pubs as other holidaymakers.
    I'd be against letting in people from abroad but there are some essential travel that needs to be done and this is one of them.
    Regardless of what I think of mehole he's still the taoiseach and some things need to be done in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Blazer wrote: »
    ah jesus man. Its not as if he's off galivanting to the beach or hitting the pubs as other holidaymakers.
    I'd be against letting in people from abroad but there are some essential travel that needs to be done and this is one of them.
    Regardless of what I think of mehole he's still the taoiseach and some things need to be done in person.

Not disputing that he needs to be there. However Government advice is anyone entering Ireland from abroad is to isolate for 14 days. That should apply to him and his entourage however as he is going to be tested on day and day 7 then it doesn't apply. Can't have 1 rule for some and a different rule for the rest of us! Lead by example.

Gael23 wrote: »
    He still has to follow the rules

He’s the only Taoiseach we’ve got, so I can’t see who we could send instead.

Not disputing that he needs to be there. However Government advice is anyone entering Ireland from abroad is to isolate for 14 days. That should apply to him and his entourage however as he is going to be tested on day and day 7 then it doesn't apply. Can't have 1 rule for some and a different rule for the rest of us! Lead by example.

Maybe we should excuse ourselves from the recovery fund as an example.

We have to recognise that politicians have a job to do, even if they aren’t from the party we voted for. It would be ridiculous to oppose this trip.

Maybe we should excuse ourselves from the recovery fund as an example.

We have to recognise that politicians have a job to do, even if they aren’t from the party we voted for. It would be ridiculous to oppose this trip.

As I said - not disputing the trip - but follow the rules on your return

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Not sure if anyone posted this yet

HSE Daily Operations Update
    13 in hospitals, no change.
    3 admissions/confirmed cases in hospitals yesterday, 2 in the mater and 1 in Kilkenny.
    8 in ICU, no change.
    4 ventilations, decrease of 1.

Must say we have a remarkable ICU survival rate, don’t think anyone has died there for a number of weeks.

Last ICU death was June 30th
    Start of this month there was 12 in ICU and since then at least 3 new admissions and 7 discharges and of course zero deaths.
    I say at least, as, if the number in ICU stays the same in a 24hr period, I'm assuming it's no new admissions and no new discharges.

It could very well be 1 new admission and 1 new discharge etc....
    You could go through the breakdown of specific hospital ICU numbers each day and see if there's any extra in one and a reduction in another to get more accurate numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

First of all, I dont see why he HAS to be there in person unless he is physically handing them something?
    If hes tested on return he should still have to isolate at least until the result of his second test 7 days later are back. The hypocrisy on this thread is unbelievable.

As I said - not disputing the trip - but follow the rules on your return

I disagree. He needs to do whatever he needs to do to in order to carry out his duty as effectively as possible. That is in all of our interests. He’s not going to do that by sitting at home in front of a computer screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

I wont be seeing my parents, I'll be isolating at home after I get back. Dont see yer issue atall

And to hell with everyone else you come into contact with before hand, eh?

As long as you have your fun, thats all that matters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

First of all, I dont see why he HAS to be there in person unless he is physically handing them something?
    If hes tested on return he should still have to isolate at least until the result of his second test 7 days later are back. The hypocrisy on this thread is unbelievable.

You don't HAVE to go on holidays but you seem to like letting people know you are.

ro_chez wrote: »
    And to hell with everyone else you come into contact with before hand, eh?

As long as you have your fun, thats all that matters!

Who else am i going to come in to contact with ? Youd swear I'm guaranteed to pick up the virus the way yer carrying on. The chances of me picking it up are around 9MILLON to 1

petes wrote: »
    You don't HAVE to go on holidays but you seem to like letting people know you are.

I'm going to isolate on my return, I don't think MM will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

. Can't have 1 rule for some and a different rule for the rest of us! Lead by example.

You actually can have one rule for some and different for the rest.

We've had it applied to commuting and domestic travel for retail staff, health staff, transport workers, gardaí, fire and ambulance service workers.

If we let everyone engage in the different rules as those above, it would have been business as usual the past few months.

Similarly, if we let everyone travel on a whim, it'd be equally pointless.

There are times when rules and exemptions to those rules are needed. Even when they were relaxed, and we got 105 mins in the pubs/restaurants, people (as is human) stayed 240mins, 300mins. Its a case of "sure nobody has said anything" or "we got to stay 5 hours last night"

When you apply travel to 4 million people, there's going to be a pushing of the boundaries, so better to have a rule there. Even with the rule, people will come and go, so bringing in loopholes for the general population would see an increase of taking the mick.

I wouldn't begrudge MM his trip abroad if it means I can't (shouldn't) go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I disagree. He needs to do whatever he needs to do to in order to carry out his duty as effectively as possible. That is in all of our interests. He’s not going to do that by sitting at home in front of a computer screen.

He wasn't acting in all of our interests when he spent his first couple of weeks in office dealing with party infighting and a prolonged ministerial sacking that should have been dealt with quickly in the current circumstances.

No issue with him travelling in itself but he should be dealing with the same restrictions as the rest of us upon his return. The optics of the first few weeks of this government have been all wrong.

[QUOTE=Get Real;114060359
    When you apply travel to 4 million people, there's going to be a pushing of the boundaries, so better to have a rule there. Even with the rule, people will come and go, so bringing in loopholes for the general population would see an increase of taking the mick.

I wouldn't begrudge MM his trip abroad if it means I can't (shouldn't) go.[/QUOTE]

And the rule is isolate on your return - which he is not going to do.

• Advertisement

as long as he's careful abroad in this meetings and following social distancing etc I wouldn't be worried about it.
    The guidelines are there because if most of us went on holidays would we follow social distancing over there? No the majority of people wouldn't.
    A government minister or company executive going abroad for an important meeting for a day or two, following social distancing protocols etc I wouldn't be worried about at all.
    A business trip abroad is not the same as holidaying abroad.

Blazer wrote: »
    as long as he's careful abroad in this meetings and following social distancing etc I wouldn't be worried about it.
    The guidelines are there because if most of us went on holidays would we follow social distancing over there? No the majority of people wouldn't.
    A government minister or company executive going abroad for an important meeting for a day or two, following social distancing protocols etc I wouldn't be worried about at all.
    A business trip abroad is not the same as holidaying abroad.

a holiday is probably less dangerous than a business trip. Hes going there specifically to interact with other people, holidayers are going to lay on a beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Things are getting serious in super value.....

https://twitter.com/nntaleb/status/1284082970366812161?s=20

a holiday is probably less dangerous than a business trip. Hes going there specifically to interact with other people, holidayers are going to lay on a beach.

lol not sure about holidays you've been on but mine has included a lot of personal contact as I imagine a lot of other people would have.
    Holidaymakers will still be going to pool bars, using public toilets, getting drinks handed to them, shopping etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

He's a brand new PM, needs to network and meet the other leaders. Trying to recreate the generally cordial relationships that LV had with the other leaders. So wouldn't look good if he was the only one not turning up.
    A lot of the important stuff at these summits gets discussed off the record at side meetings - Zooming in via video for just the official 27 round table would mean he misses the crucial details.
    Thus would be an abdication of responsibility for him not to be there in person.

(I voted down the card for literally all candidates except Fianna Fail in the recent GE, so don't take this a Fianna Fail viewpoint)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dr De Gascun "We have a very good handle" on where infections are occurring and cases are "not popping up unpredictably" around the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Dr De Gascun "We have a very good handle" on where infections are occurring and cases are "not popping up unpredictably" around the country.

I like him, talks sense the majority of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Unsurprisingly, the IT splashed with “Ireland could return to Phase 2 of lockdown if infections rise” from CDG’s interview.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I like him, talks sense the majority of the time.

Yup he also mentioned if cases breached 100 per day thats the threshold when they would consider to move back a phase

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, the IT splashed with “Ireland could return to Phase 2 of lockdown if infections rise” from CDG’s interview.

Yup beyond 100 per day is the main bit missing from that headline.

Thats when it would be considered.

But as he said himself cases aren't poping up unpredictably so they know exactly where the clusters are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

And the rule is isolate on your return - which he is not going to do.

This is a joke right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

MM business trip is definitely more safer than a holiday.
    Every head of the EU are going to be there.
    The safety protocols and measures been implemented for this gathering are immense.
    There is no comparison between the avarge Joe going on there holidays and the trip MM is taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

ZX7R wrote: »
    MM business trip is definitely more safer than a holiday.
    Every head of the EU are going to be there.
    The safety protocols and measures been implemented for this gathering are immense.
    There is no comparison between the avarge Joe going on there holidays and the trip MM is taking.

So if I travel on a business trip and take precautions I don't have to self isolate when I return?

This is fantastic news. He’s the best one to talk imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Its not in all our interests if he comes back and infects every one else in the Dail bar? If he is getting tested on day 1 + 7 then you can expect him to isolate for 8 days (once you take the weekend out of the equation, is not not that much), same goes for the entourage.

If he doesn't then he really should get castigated by the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

The pettiness on this forum re Martin's trip to Brussells is ridiculous.

He will be tested before and after he comes back and will restrict his movements on return save for esstential business. That is the protocol outlined by the acting CMO at the conference yesterday.

It might be worth a watch back for some

This is fantastic news. He’s the best one to talk imo.

Yup, actually the examiner have his full quote and actually wrote a proper article on it. I also like how he addressed the R number in very simple terms.

“It is just a concern at this stage,” he told RTÉ radio’s Today with Sarah McInerney.

“The R number can be affected by a few large clusters. It's not as if cases are popping up all over the country.”

Dr De Gascun also advised young people to avoid house parties especially where there is singing after it emerged that a cluster of cases had recently arisen from a microphone used for karaoke at a house party.

Full article
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40017401.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

xvril wrote: »
    So if I travel on a business trip and take precautions I don't have to self isolate when I return?

His trip is a matter of national importance.
    If you're trip is of the equivalent needs.
    Then no but would your business trip be of national importance

xvril wrote: »

If you're the prime minister of a country, then no. The idea that Martin should self-isolate for two weeks after an EU meeting is farcical. I hope people are just having a laugh here. Because if you really believe that then I feel sorry for you.

The pettiness on this forum re Martin's trip to Brussells is ridiculous.

He will be tested before and after he comes back and will restrict his movements on return save for esstential business. That is the protocol outlined by the acting CMO at the conference yesterday.

It might be worth a watch back for some

That is what I would expect, wouldn't need to be the full two weeks, about 8 days if testing on day 1 + 7.
    I can't seem him or any of the entourage not doing that as the media would rightly have a field day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Interesting that Johnson is advising "prepare for the worse, hope for the best" regards winter.
    A life threatening illness will do that to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jul/17/uk-coronavirus-live-boris-johnson-3bn-plan-nhs-battle-ready-for-winter-second-wave
    We'll need a big push for people to get the Flu vaccine this year. I'm surprised more isn't being said about that.

Yup, actually the examiner have his full quote and actually wrote a proper article on it. I also like how he addressed the R number in very simple terms.

“It is just a concern at this stage,” he told RTÉ radio’s Today with Sarah McInerney.

“The R number can be affected by a few large clusters. It's not as if cases are popping up all over the country.”

Dr De Gascun also advised young people to avoid house parties especially where there is singing after it emerged that a cluster of cases had recently arisen from a microphone used for karaoke at a house party.

Full article
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40017401.html

It seems our take on the r-number is correct :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yup beyond 100 per day is the main bit missing from that headline.

Thats when it would be considered.

But as he said himself cases aren't poping up unpredictably so they know exactly where the clusters are

I heard some of the interview, but missed that bit.

Did he not elaborate on where they were occurring then?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I heard some of the interview, but missed that bit.

Did he not elaborate on where they were occurring then?

I don’t think we will get much more than daily county figures when case numbers are this small

If you're the prime minister of a country, then no. The idea that Martin should self-isolate for two weeks after an EU meeting is farcical. I hope people are just having a laugh here. Because if you really believe that then I feel sorry for you.

He will self isolate until the second test results come back - and I am sure he won't visit any vulnerable folks during that time as well (outside of work).

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I’ve a feeling being apart of the EU will be a great benefit to us when it comes to vaccine distribution

Too right it will. When people get their shots I hope they spend a little time reflecting on why it is so great that Ireland is a member of the EU. Hell knows if it wasn’t for their guiding hand firmly placed on our back we would probably have had another potato famine by now.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    He will self isolate until the second test results come back - and I am sure he won't visit any vulnerable folks during that time as well (outside of work).

Rightly so. You can get the result of a test within 24 hours.

hmmm wrote: »
    We'll need a big push for people to get the Flu vaccine this year. I'm surprised more isn't being said about that.

There was talk about vaccinating all the school kids (which is normal in some other countries like Japan). Also you can expect flu numbers to be down this year due to improved hygiene and distancing - my prediction is that Covid + Flu this year will equal Flu numbers from last year (optimistic?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

'Enough is enough' - publican vows to open on Monday despite government advice

Alternative headline: "Gobshíte advertises in advance he'll break the law"

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/enough-is-enough-publican-vows-to-open-on-monday-despite-government-advice-39374808.html
    A Limerick publican has vowed to reopen on Monday at 11am despite Tánaiste Leo Varadkar saying in the Dáil today that it will be “at least” August 10 before “wet pubs” can reopen.

Gearoid Whelan, who owns Whelan’s pub in west Limerick, said that he will open up on Monday morning and operate as a regular pub, with €10,000 worth of alterations made to the bar, making it social-distancing friendly.
    He said that tourists have been allowed to “pour” in to the country and is making a stand for the bars who do not serve food and have not been allowed to open.

“I’ve been with the government all this way, they’ve done a fantastic job, but this time they’ve gone too far with letting the tourists, particularly the Americans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement