Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

wadacrack wrote: »
    Think that maybe is due to a cluster in Derry. Their is alot of worry it seems in that community . They are taking precautions it seems

Very true yes they’ve even set up a testing unit there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

US2 wrote: »
    Anyone with a sniffle was referred for one in March, waited weeks then were told they couldn't get tested. Anyway that twitter doc is just an alarmist looking for likes and retweets

He's laying the ground for a career in TV. Fancies himself as a Michael Mosley.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

US2 wrote: »
    a holiday is probably less dangerous than a business trip. Hes going there specifically to interact with other people, holidayers are going to lay on a beach.

100% safe cherry picking :pac:

Northern Ireland case breakdown for today

Antrim & Newtownabbey +1
    Belfast +4
    Causeway Coast & Glens +5
    Derry City & Strabane +8
    Mid & East Antrim +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Wouldn't surprise me though if anyone with a sniffle is back looking for tests. Like he says requests for tests.

Pretty easy for me to ring up my GP now and ask for a test seeing as its hayfever season and its back with a bang for me

I think you are right. Combination of Hayfever and (unwarranted) fear of second wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

wadacrack wrote: »
    Think that maybe is due to a cluster in Derry. Their is alot of worry it seems in that community . They are taking precautions it seems

R number must be throught roof in NI based on that. ;)

R number must be throught roof in NI based on that. ;)

Latest estimate is close to 1, shock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You mean London Derry? they can keep it now.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And England are talking of been fully open by Christmas and sports fan been back by October... Don't get me wrong it's a basket case of confusing information over there but at least there is hope lol.

There's no hope in England, it's a disaster when it comes to managing, controlling, treating and even keeping account of it over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Is there any example of countries that eased lockdowns and things are going well for them now ? in Europe ?
    Spain is a disaster, what about Italy ?

Belgium seems to be firing up again too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's no hope in England, it's a disaster when it comes to managing, controlling, treating and even keeping account of it over there.

It is and to be fair people are talking about 100s of thousands of people dying on this island if its not controlled were as the UK although extremely badly controlled and managed are not seeing that same increase. Don't get me wrong it's a **** storm over there and to many dying but there is a slight exaggeration going onn of numbers in the media. At least it's not all doom and gloom with every piece of news that's all I'm saying.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Is there any example of countries that eased lockdowns and things are going well for them now ? in Europe ?

Denmark, Switzerland, Austria, Finland, Norway, Netherlands

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

Greece

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭NH2013

Italy is doing well, less cases per capita than here. A remarkable feat given how badly they were impacted at the start without the prior warning many other countries got, the canary in the coal mine so to speak.

• Advertisement

IAt least it's not all doom and gloom with every piece of news that's all I'm saying.

The problem is though is that they've been ****ed over and gas lighted by their own government, anything positive is propaganda and spin. It has little basis in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Spain is a disaster in two locations, not everywhere. Most places do not have huge cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

is_that_so wrote: »
    Spain is a disaster in two locations, not everywhere. Most places do not have huge cases.

Which two?

is_that_so wrote: »

3 Locations, well disaster for the poor mink.

Coronavirus: Spain orders culling of almost 100,000 mink

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

Negativity in this country is beyond a joke ! UK obviously have handled it badly but they have positivity coming out of it and are saving their economy, whereas we get 20 cases a day and the panic button is pressed, people are delusional if they think it’s magically gonna disappear overnight!

• Advertisement

Negativity in this country is beyond a joke ! UK obviously have handled it badly but they have positivity coming out of it and are saving their economy, whereas we get 20 cases a day and the panic button is pressed, people are delusional if they think it’s magically gonna disappear overnight!

I just looked out the window.

I see absolutely no panic, who pushed this button?

Are you sure it wasn't a picnic button you saw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Boggles wrote: »
    3 Locations, well disaster for the poor mink.

Coronavirus: Spain orders culling of almost 100,000 mink

Oh yes those poor mink. how they wish they could stay alive a few more weeks and get skinned and turned into coats...the dream.of every mink

But they aren't. We can print propaganda letters for you about Ireland if you want to make yourself believe in whatever we put on it, but don't believe in the imaginary positivity coming out of the UK, they're the worse country in the EU at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Which two?

Aragon and Catalonia (Lleida). Barcelona may have more restrictions applied. 580 cases yesterday after 390 the previous day.

But they aren't. We can print propaganda letters for you about Ireland if you want to make yourself believe in whatever we put on it, but don't believe in the imaginary positivity coming out of the UK, they're the worse country in the EU at the moment.

But that's the point even as the worst country in Europe (the UK) they aren't seen the kind of numbers we were told here would happen. Propaganda works both ways I'm not saying their right and we are wrong im just saying that the virus is here most of the country is aware and trying so why not at least have some positive news. Its mostly doom and gloom from our lot. Its not the apocalypse and its not the flu people need to be rational. The people refusing to social distance and having house parties etc will always do that no matter what they are told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd rather be cautious and correct, than positive and delusional.

There's plenty of positivity in Ireland and the world, but by no means even contemplate holding England and Johnson/his government up as a model to which we aim for. They're outright liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just back from my local aldi, queuing up at the till and the women in front says to the guy on the till, did you hear the news we're going back to phase 2 the cases are out of control. Guy on the till said no I think he said if they go to high that'll happen, nope she was adamant.

Really how is anybody supposed to even reply to or reason with that.

There's plenty of positivity in Ireland and the world, but by no means even contemplate holding England and Johnson/his government up as a model to which we aim for. They're outright liars.

Nobody wants to hold them up as a model but it can't be both ways as in people saying that we will have 100s of thousands of deaths from covid if we make a mess of things like UK etc and then kind of ignore that even England isn't seen that volume of deaths and they are a disaster.
    Its getting a bit tiresome listening to our guys been mostly negative with the numbers we have. I can only imagine if we have a second wave how depressing they wi be.

Just back from my local aldi, queuing up at the till and the women in front says to the guy on the till, did you hear the news we're going back to phase 2 the cases are out of control. Guy on the till said no I think he said if they go to high that'll happen, nope she was adamant.

I think that's the reaction they want from people tbh

• Advertisement

Someone on a till in Aldi talked to a customer? :confused:

I call BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Was she wearing a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

But that's the point even as the worst country in Europe (the UK) they aren't seen the kind of numbers we were told here would happen. Propaganda works both ways I'm not saying their right and we are wrong im just saying that the virus is here most of the country is aware and trying so why not at least have some positive news. Its mostly doom and gloom from our lot. Its not the apocalypse and its not the flu people need to be rational. The people refusing to social distance and having house parties etc will always do that no matter what they are told.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the massive numbers predicted here were if we did nothing?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

EDit wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the massive numbers predicted here were if we did nothing?

They were.

Yes your right they were but The UK was very slow to react reference lockdown and also very quick it seems to open and they haven't seen these huge numbers. Anyway I was only pointing out that it would be nice to get some positive news every now and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I've criticised our response at times but comparing us negatively to the UK in our handling of this is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ficheall wrote: »
    Was she wearing a mask?

Actually no now that you mention it she wasn't

Yes your right they were but The UK was very slow to react reference lockdown and also very quick it seems to open and they haven't seen these huge numbers. Anyway I was only pointing out that it would be nice to get some positive news every now and then

They're what, 3rd, 4th worse in the world?
    edit, they've been letting themselves slip, they're currently adrift at 9th in that particular ignoble league. Top of the charts for Europe though, so that's something.

Yeah but they're being positive about it and in the end, isn't negativity the real virus?
    No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

I am so positive that my corona test has been consistently positive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Agree. TBH, I’m finding this period more annoying/depressing as everything is so vague. At the beginning, we had an objective, everyone knew what they had to do reduce the number of cases. Now the rules are contradictory and not well communicated and it all seems so ambiguous.

Anyway, fingers crossed for another sub-20 cases day. If we get enough of those, they’ll have to rethink the recent step-back, surely?

This is what always happens when the Uk is mentioned. Your right they are a disaster there numbers are shocking I was just making the point sarcastically in my first post about the UK been hopeful while we are negitave even about good news. I happen to think we have done alright I'm more talking about the mood around even the good news.

This is what always happens when the Uk is mentioned. Your right they are a disaster there numbers are shocking I was just making the point sarcastically in my first post about the UK been hopeful while we are negitave even about good news. I happen to think we have done alright I'm more talking about the mood around even the good news.

Ah we love a good misery story here though

Agree. TBH, I’m finding this period more annoying/depressing as everything is so vague. At the beginning, we had an objective, everyone knew what they had to do reduce the number of cases. Now the rules are contradictory and not well communicated and it all seems so ambiguous.

Anyway, fingers crossed for another sub-20 cases day. If we get enough of those, they’ll have to rethink the recent step-back, surely?

This is exactly what I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

They were predicted as a worst-case scenario if we did nothing and if the disease had a 3% mortality rate (Sam McConkey). Also Leo Varadkar said that we would see a 30% rise in coronavirus cases every day and that this was not amenable to mitigation/suppression measures.

The revised prediction given in one of Leo Varadkar's last speeches as Taoiseach was 35-40k deaths in an unmitigated epidemic, which I don't believe but others are free to believe it.

growleaves wrote: »
    They were predicted as a worst-case scenario if we did nothing and if the disease had a 3% mortality rate (Sam McConkey). Also Leo Varadkar said that we would see a 30% rise in coronavirus cases every day and that this was not amenable to mitigation/suppression measures.

The revised prediction given in one of Leo Varadkar's last speeches as Taoiseach was 35-40k deaths in an unmitigated epidemic, which I don't believe but others are free to believe it.

And I could be wrong and it's not ment to be disrespectful to the people who have died, but as the number of new cases world wide sky rocket the actual percentage of people dying is lowering as in bigger numbers infected and recovering. I could be wrong on that as I'm no expert. Maybe long term it could be worse I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

growleaves wrote: »

Those figures are reasonable when you consider the latest accepted death rate is between 0.6% and 0.7%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Those figures are reasonable when you consider the latest accepted death rate is between 0.6% and 0.7%

Not much worse than the flu so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

The mortality rate is with confirmed cases so it's likely to be a lot less than .06%

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement