Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

2 more deaths RIP

21 additional cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

I watched De Gascun basically rubbish the suggestion by a Czech expert that face masks suppressed the spread of the virus in society April last on Primetime. That told me all I need to know about his expert opinion.

Do you understand what evidence based practice is and if yes, do you understand the developments that have been made in relation to SARS-CoV-2 and how that evidence base shifts over time?

Would you prefer he didn't practice from evidence and just made things up? Or perhaps just said things he has a hunch about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

2 more deaths RIP

21 additional cases

Doesn’t make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

They'll be no return to lockdown. We're getting to the stage where you sink or swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

2 more deaths RIP

21 additional cases

At this stage I'd nearly give up on the postive cases reported by HSE against the ones announced by HPSC. No idea where these numbers are coming from given the postive tests reported on dashboard.

Theres a delay in reporting somewhere between HSE and HPSC. Its extremely frustrating

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Doesn’t make sense
    Yeah I give up predicting tbh, there's clearly some delay happening somewhere and it's impossible to predict atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Miike wrote: »
    Would you prefer he didn't practice from evidence and just made things up? Or perhaps just said things he has a hunch about?
    So are you suggesting that he had evidence that masks didn't work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Do you understand what evidence based practice is and if yes, do you understand the developments that have been made in relation to SARS-CoV-2 and how that evidence base shifts over time?

Evidence has existed for years that masks prevent the spread of respiratory droplets. The wearer protects others by the use of a face covering.
    I would prefer he didn't ignore evidence from other jurisdictions. We knew what was happening in Italy back in February who were the most vulnerable yet in March we had St T Holohan telling the nursing homes not to act unilaterally banning visitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

polesheep wrote: »
    "If infections disappear we'll get back to normal." Why don't they say this, it's common sense?
    I think the mood has changed in how this is being related to the public. In part because of the new government and in part because of Glynn. He's very good in the job but he just does not quite have that skill of public engagement as Holohan does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

niallo27 wrote: »
    What is the logic, we went out last night. 3 pints first, few chicken wings then 5 more pints. Nearly 5 hours and we could have drank for longer. If normal pubs offered table service I dont really see the difference or the logic myself.

Pubs can’t open. Restaurants can. They needed to define a restaurant, so they went with a place that serves food and maybe also alcohol. But you need a definition of food then as well. How they got to a €9 meal being the definition I don’t know, but it needed to be something.

Just like everything else, relaxing restrictions doesn’t mean that the things you can now do are 100% safe, it just means they’re lower risk. Restaurants are safer than pubs. Gatherings of less than 500 are safer than gatherings of more than 500. Its relative. But when they put a limit on stuff you’ll always have the hilarious comedians saying stuff like “oh so 499 is safe but add another person and we’re all gonna die lol” or “glad I had my €9 meal and now I’m safe”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Yeah I give up predicting tbh, there's clearly some delay happening somewhere and it's impossible to predict atm

Could it be a genuine mistake being made? As in some people's positive test being registered twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

At this stage I'd nearly give up on the postive cases reported by HSE against the ones announced by HPSC. No idea where these numbers are coming from given the postive tests reported on dashboard.

Theres a delay in reporting somewhere between HSE and HPSC. Its extremely frustrating

Have you the hse numbers recorded anywhere Stephen? Just wondering is there even a pattern like 3 or 5 day delay? I know the numbers don’t perfectly match but hspc cases should always be lower than hse, wonder would that help with the pattern?

Analysis of cases as of midnight Thursday 16th July - 25,730 cases (+34)

Healthcare Workers +7
    Clusters +9
    Cases associated with clusters +18

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +3
    5-14 +1
    15-24 +7
    25-34 +8
    35-44 +4
    45-54 +3
    55-64 +2
    65-74 +5
    75-84 +1
    85+ -1

Cases by County
    Carlow +1
    Cavan +1
    Cork +1
    Dublin +25
    Kildare +1
    Leitrim +1
    Louth +1
    Offaly +1
    Westmeath +1
    Wicklow +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I wonder are they coming from private hospitals.

As they're not under the HSE, their tests mightn't be included in HSE figures but would be reported to the HPSC.

Have you the hse numbers recorded anywhere Stephen? Just wondering is there even a pattern like 3 or 5 day delay? I know the numbers don’t perfectly match but hspc cases should always be lower than hse, wonder would that help with the pattern?

Not on my laptop at the moment so don't have them to hand. Citizen might have them there.

Yup your correct up to last weekend HPSC was lower than HSE purely down to someone might get more than 1 test and might be postive more than one.

• Advertisement

0.0008% increase still only, out they need to explain the dashboard case updates to actual figures released

I wonder are they coming from private hospitals.

As they're not under the HSE, their tests mightn't be included in HSE figures but would be reported to the HPSC.

quite possible, hadn't actually thought of that actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Healthcare Workers +7
    Clusters +9

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +3
    5-14 +1
    15-24 +7
    25-34 +8
    35-44 +4
    45-54 +3
    55-64 +2
    65-74 +5
    75-84 +1
    85+ -1

Cases by County
    Carlow +1
    Cavan +1
    Cork +1
    Dublin +25
    Kildare +1
    Leitrim +1
    Louth +1
    Offaly +1
    Westmeath +1
    Wicklow +1

Kerry seems to have got off relatively lightly from the recent cluster spike - yes, 5 cases were confirmed, but none since Wednesday, and only one suspected case in UHK currently.

Dublin +25 yesterday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

21 cases today and the 7 day average is 21 cases a day.

With a day to go we have 6 more cases than we had for the previous 7 days and two less deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Healthcare Workers +7
    Clusters +9

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +3
    5-14 +1
    15-24 +7
    25-34 +8
    35-44 +4
    45-54 +3
    55-64 +2
    65-74 +5
    75-84 +1
    85+ -1

Cases by County
    Carlow +1
    Cavan +1
    Cork +1
    Dublin +25
    Kildare +1
    Leitrim +1
    Louth +1
    Offaly +1
    Westmeath +1
    Wicklow +1

Definitely younger demographic being affected. To be honest I have not been reading analyses of figures by age group - has it changed?

Dublin +25 yesterday :eek:

And the rest of the country suffers on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Can I ask maybe not a stupid question but maybe the answer is obvious ? It appears there is a delay somewhere along the line. If they delay was fixed would this lead to higher or lower number of positive cases ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Can I ask maybe not a stupid question but maybe the answer is obvious ? It appears there is a delay somewhere along the line. If they delay was fixed would this lead to higher or lower number of positive cases ?
    Currently we're getting a higher number of confirmed cases than positive tests by the HSE

Itssoeasy wrote: »

If that was the case it would be very mixed. Only 24 updates yesterday but 34 announced..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

Healthcare Workers +7
    Clusters +9

Age Range Affected
    0-4 +3
    5-14 +1
    15-24 +7
    25-34 +8
    35-44 +4
    45-54 +3
    55-64 +2
    65-74 +5
    75-84 +1
    85+ -1

Cases by County
    Carlow +1
    Cavan +1
    Cork +1
    Dublin +25
    Kildare +1
    Leitrim +1
    Louth +1
    Offaly +1
    Westmeath +1
    Wicklow +1

Would I be right in saying Dame Lane figures could be turning up now? Or if Killarney house party are being included as Dublin figures, instead of Kerry?

Ficheall wrote: »
    So are you suggesting that he had evidence that masks didn't work?

I'm suggesting there was very limited evidence in March and April concerning the efficacy of FACE COVERINGS in reduction of spread in the population. I'm not suggesting there was evidence they didn't work, there was no rigorous evidence that they did. That's how evidence based practice works.

Lapse in judgement on my part posting in this thread again. I forgot how this place works :eek:
    HSE - Bad.
    NPHET - Bad.
    Tony Holohan - Devil.
    Reported Cases - Lies.

....Pubs - Y U NOT OPEN?

If that was the case it would be very mixed. Only 24 updates yesterday but 34 announced..

I imagine this is related to reporting through private hospital labs. They will report to the HPSC only on positive cases and not tests conducted.

quite possible, hadn't actually thought of that actually.
    Private hospital labs were a couple of months behind public hospitals getting the equipment and assays validated.

With surgeries/procedures going ahead, and a mandatory test needed beforehand it might be why they're only appearing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I would advise non essential travel out of Dublin to other counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Currently we're getting a higher number of confirmed cases than positive tests by the HSE

Has this happened much throughout the last few months? Seems to be wrong everyday this week. Lying to justify the delay in phase 4?

I imagine this is related to reporting through private hospital labs. They will report to the HPSC only on positive cases and not tests conducted.

Private hospital tests have never been mentioned at any briefing as far as I know but obviously could be wrong. I’d still find it strange them not officially being updated on the dashboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Now, now let's not make this internecine even if furriners are fair game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

1 Case and 1 death denotified

Private hospital labs were a couple of months behind public hospitals getting the equipment and assays validated.

With surgeries/procedures going ahead, and a mandatory test needed beforehand it might be why they're only appearing now.
    Is it realistic that there were 7 (21 confirmed - 14 HSE positive) confirmed private hospital tests in the last 24 hours? That seems quite high to me. Or maybe the HSE have sent some of the nursing home tests there?

Surely can’t be that many go private and pay for the test? Also I find it hard to believe that many people due to have surgery are testing positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Can we say that the reopening of pubs hasn't dramatically increased numbers? Or is it too early to say.

Private hospital tests have never been mentioned at any briefing as far as I know but obviously could be wrong. I’d still find it strange them not officially being updated on the dashboard

Private hospital tests will never be mentioned in the briefings. The only legal obligation on private labs are to report to the HPSC on tests which have come back as positive inline with Infectious Disease regulations. This will always dilute the pool, there is nothing that can really be done about it.

21 from nearly 10,000 tests is actually not a bad number at all now that I think about it

• Advertisement

Private hospital tests will never be mentioned in the briefings. The only legal obligation on private labs are to report to the HPSC on tests which have come back as positive inline with Infectious Disease regulations. This will always dilute the pool, there is nothing that can really be done about it.

So our testing rate is higher then what’s on the dashboard as well if only positive tests are being notified to HPSC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

21 from nearly 10,000 tests is actually not a bad number at all now that I think about it

Of course its not plus its out of 5 million people in a disease which is harmless to a small sickness to the vast majority of people. We need a bit of perspective here, we need to calm the **** down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not directed at you Santy, but what kind of crap is this from the authorities?

Either someone has the fcuking virus or they don't.

Then there are de-notifications into the bargain too.

Can these overpaid fools at the top not bloody well count right now? Guarantee you they are able to count their plush bonuses though. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ah Jaysus, what is it half an hour / hour later we get that actual numbers?

Danno wrote: »

Can these overpaid fools at the top not bloody well count right now? Guarantee you they are able to count their plush bonuses though. :mad:

Like Citizen said he finds it hard to believe that 7 private positive tests were added today and I’d feel the same about the possibility that 10 were added from private hospitals yesterday as well.
    If it is the case they need to be more clear about it and why is there so many coming from private tests

Like Citizen said he finds it hard to believe that 7 private positive tests were added today and I’d feel the same about the possibility that 10 were added from private hospitals yesterday as well.
    If it is the case they need to be more clear about it and why is there so many coming from private tests
    Maybe they have outsourced some testing? Wonder if Germany's back up and running.

• Advertisement

Is it realistic that there were 7 (21 confirmed - 14 HSE positive) confirmed private hospital tests in the last 24 hours? That seems quite high to me. Or maybe the HSE have sent some of the nursing home tests there?
    I dont know for sure. But these cases have to be coming from somewhere.

There are 18 private hospitals in Ireland (according to the private hospital assoc). They're all playing catch up with postponed procedures so i would say there could well be 7 in a day.

Private hospitals are completely separate to the HSE. Nursing home tests are processed by the NVRL. Healthcare worker tests should be processed by their local hospital lab.

I dont know for sure. But these cases have to be coming from somewhere.

There are 18 private hospitals in Ireland (according to the private hospital assoc). They're all playing catch up with postponed procedures so i would say there could well be 7 in a day.

Private hospitals are completely separate to the HSE. Nursing home tests are processed by the NVRL. Healthcare worker tests should be processed by their local hospital lab.
    I'd say you're spot on there so

Maybe they have outsourced some testing? Wonder if Germany's back up and running.

They haven’t mentioned Germany in a long time though. With the private hospitals possible cases then I’d find that more of a concern there’s so many coming from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Boggles wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus, what is it half an hour / hour later we get that actual numbers?

That is not the discussion we are having

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Danno wrote: »

The scare mongering has to be kept going at all costs.I’ve been sceptical of these nightly figures for a good while now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement