Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Debenhams workers protest on the news , very few masks , no social distancing and to top it all all singing some protest song loudly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

21 from nearly 10,000 tests is actually not a bad number at all now that I think about it

Works out at 0.21% positive test rate. Today, Idaho is at 16%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

the moving 7 day average is to smooth out these humps and bumps. The current cases per day are "baked in" since late June/early July

160 cases July 11th - July 18th, so 23 daily average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Debenhams workers protest on the news , very few masks , no social distancing and to top it all all singing some protest song loudly

Outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Currently we're getting a higher number of confirmed cases than positive tests by the HSE

Are they including suspected cases? Like they were with deaths that got denotified after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Wish Citezenerased and Stephen were asking questions at the briefings rather than zara and fergal

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Works out at 0.21% positive test rate. Today, Idaho is at 16%.

A lot of the US sounds like they have a serious 5 - 10 day lag in reporting to boot so it could be even worse!

Our daily cases now have become a bit of a joke with the discrepancies and seemingly random reporting delays from various data points, but our 7 day average is holding fairly steady and that's the key indicator to look to now, I think. Its reassuring to see we can jump by thousands of tests a day as well recently, like the 24hr shifting from 4500 - 9000+ tests. That's reassuring to me anyway, especially when the cases stemming from that hold steady as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

No idea where these numbers are coming from given the postive tests reported on dashboard.

Should today's cases been higher or lower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

US2 wrote: »
    Wish Citezenerased and Stephen were asking questions at the briefings rather than zara and fergal
    i'd love to go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Should today's cases been higher or lower?

Watching this thread is like.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lyle wrote: »
    A lot of the US sounds like they have a serious 5 - 10 day lag in reporting to boot so it could be even worse!

Our daily cases now have become a bit of a joke with the discrepancies and seemingly random reporting delays from various data points, but our 7 day average is holding fairly steady and that's the key indicator to look to now, I think. Its reassuring to see we can jump by thousands of tests a day as well recently, like the 24hr shifting from 4500 - 9000+ tests. That's reassuring to me anyway, especially when the cases stemming from that hold steady as well.
    They've been in about the same band for a few weeks now: 10-35 cases. We've had some new clusters so you'd expect numbers from those and R0 has crept up over that terrifying 1.0. On the positive side we've few cases in hospital and the positivity rate is between 0.2% and about 0.4%. That sounds good to me on balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ambulance outside a neighbors house. It’s a young family. Saw the father coming out with his face covered but the ambulance is staying there.

Is this how they do mobile tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Lyle wrote: »

Idaho's rate is from Thursday and it's a 7 day average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,203 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Drumpot wrote: »
    Ambulance outside a neighbors house. It’s a young family. Saw the father coming out with his face covered but the ambulance is staying there.

Is this how they do mobile tests?

I believe so, yes. Paramedics call to the house and conduct the test there.

Watching this thread is like.....

Galliford%20Try.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Cases in each county the last week

Dublin 91
    Kildare 15
    Cork 10
    Wicklow 12
    Louth 6
    Meath 5
    Wexford 5
    Galway 4
    Carlow 3
    Cavan 3
    Donegal 3
    Clare 1
    Kerry 1
    Sligo 1
    Waterford 1
    Monaghan 1
    Leitrim 1
    Offaly 1
    Westmeath 1
    Kilkenny 0
    Longford 0
    Laois 0
    Mayo 0
    Tipperary 0
    Roscommon 0
    Limerick 0

Dublin 91
    Kildare 15
    Cork 10
    Wicklow 12
    Louth 6
    Meath 5
    Wexford 5
    Galway 4
    Carlow 3
    Cavan 3
    Donegal 3
    Clare 1
    Kerry 1
    Sligo 1
    Waterford 1
    Monaghan 1
    Leitrim 1
    Offaly 1
    Westmeath 1
    Kilkenny 0
    Longford 0
    Laois 0
    Mayo 0
    Tipperary 0
    Roscommon 0
    Limerick 0

Dublin has been riddled with this the most since day one

But has any capital that acts as it's country's main hub not had the same kind of figures?

Has their been a single exception? (New Zealand and countries that have pretty much completely dodged this bullet aside)

Genuinely curious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Strazdas wrote: »
    I believe so, yes. Paramedics call to the house and conduct the test there.

This could put people off getting tested. The whole neighbourhood knowing your getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,624 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think the mood has changed in how this is being related to the public. In part because of the new government and in part because of Glynn. He's very good in the job but he just does not quite have that skill of public engagement as Holohan does.

I think both Glynn and the "new" government need to get on the same page and be clear in what they are saying and ffs to stay awake also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Apparently theres an opinion poll coming out in the mail on Sunday tomorrow and its gonna be big, I’m guessing people are sick of FF

niallo27 wrote: »
    What is the logic, we went out last night. 3 pints first, few chicken wings then 5 more pints. Nearly 5 hours and we could have drank for longer. If normal pubs offered table service I dont really see the difference or the logic myself.

So 90 minutes is all talk only not implemented

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Pubs can’t open. Restaurants can. They needed to define a restaurant, so they went with a place that serves food and maybe also alcohol. But you need a definition of food then as well. How they got to a €9 meal being the definition I don’t know, but it needed to be something.

Just like everything else, relaxing restrictions doesn’t mean that the things you can now do are 100% safe, it just means they’re lower risk. Restaurants are safer than pubs. Gatherings of less than 500 are safer than gatherings of more than 500. Its relative. But when they put a limit on stuff you’ll always have the hilarious comedians saying stuff like “oh so 499 is safe but add another person and we’re all gonna die lol” or “glad I had my €9 meal and now I’m safe”.

But it's still the case that if a pub serving no food kept the same social distancing implementation as a pub serving food, there is no difference in terms of risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Would I be right in saying Dame Lane figures could be turning up now?

You'd imagine they would by now if that gathering resulted in extra cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭893bet

My father is booked in for an operation the end of the month (public system).

He is isolating for the two weeks before it. Desperate to have it as it was cancelled the day the hospitals shut up at the start of this.

Will he be tested before the operation and get result the same day before it goes ahead?

The letter from the hospital doesn’t say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Apparently theres an opinion poll coming out in the mail on Sunday tomorrow and its gonna be big, I’m guessing people are sick of FF

In fairness all FG have to do is sit back. Even though they're in government with them FF will be the focus with potential second wave, job losses, delaying of phases etc. Martin was always going to be Taoiseach first but works out well for FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Given they've been on 13-14% in recent polls, will be hard for them to go much lower! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

But it's still the case that if a pub serving no food kept the same social distancing implementation as a pub serving food, there is no difference in terms of risk.

Absolutely. I guess the argument is that all pubs might not adhere or be able to adhere to the guidelines. But then again not all restaurants will either.

893bet wrote: »
    My father is booked in for an operation the end of the month (public system).

He is isolating for the two weeks before it. Desperate to have it as it was cancelled the day the hospitals shut up at the start of this.

Will he be tested before the operation and get result the same day before it goes ahead?

The letter from the hospital doesn’t say.

I think hospital testing is quicker so I would assume all in a day

I hope all goes well for your father

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Private hospital takes 2 days so i would imagine much the same in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭893bet

Thanks.

I assume so there a chance so he will be called in a day or two before to take a test.

Surprised it is not called out in the letter they sent with the booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its 2 days before operation for COVID test.
    Result back next day and once all clear operation proceeds as planned.

Friend is having C-section on Monday. Tested today, with result tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dublin 91
    Kildare 15
    Cork 10
    Wicklow 12
    Louth 6
    Meath 5
    Wexford 5
    Galway 4
    Carlow 3
    Cavan 3
    Donegal 3
    Clare 1
    Kerry 1
    Sligo 1
    Waterford 1
    Monaghan 1
    Leitrim 1
    Offaly 1
    Westmeath 1
    Kilkenny 0
    Longford 0
    Laois 0
    Mayo 0
    Tipperary 0
    Roscommon 0
    Limerick 0

We should have spent the last few months building a wall around Dublin, we would be practically New Zealand then.

A Poll?

About as useful as a chocolate kettle.

The government are not going anywhere anytime soon.

SF are exactly where they want to be, big numbers in opposition with hardship on the horizon. They ain't going nowhere either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ongarite wrote: »
    Its 2 days before operation for COVID test.
    Result back next day and once all clear operation proceeds as planned.

Friend is having C-section on Monday. Tested today, with result tomorrow evening.

Hopefully this won't be the case but what will they do if the test is positive? Its not like a c section can be postponed for a few weeks. Extra precautions I suppose?

Boggles wrote: »
    We should have spent the last few months building a wall around Dublin, we would be practically New Zealand then.

Erm

That's not really how capital cities work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I decided to read the replies to Richard chambers of virgin media news tweet the deaths and cases from today(I like Richard chambers btw) but some of the comments would worry you. Apparently the second wave is going to hit and hit hard. New Zealand is mentioned compared to us but I'm sorry but New Zealand can't be compared to us for one main reason which is it's geographical position in the world. Put New Zealand where we are I doubt they'd have done as well as they did. It was said they dodged a bullet and I'm happy they have but they had advantages we don't. I know my first mistake was reading the replies but the majority seemed to want to virus to spike again and apparnently the government have decided to "live with the virus" which is what most countries are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

I wish people would stop going on about the 'second wave' tbh, it's just a meaningless buzzword at this point.

We are nowhere near a second wave at the moment and it would take a week or three of utter negligence to get us there

Mwengwe wrote: »
    I wish people would stop going on about the 'second wave' tbh, it's just a meaningless buzzword at this point.

Ah. No. It's actually a real thing. :confused:

Which is happening in various places around the world and will more than likely happen here.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Erm

That's not really how capital cities work

Erm, I wasn't serious, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Ah. No. It's actually a real thing. :confused:

Which is happening in various places around the world and will more than likely happen here.

It's questionable that a Spanish-flu-like second wave has taken place anywhere just yet. Numbers have gone back up in places but that's not the same thing.

Willing to be pointed to info to show otherwise. Maybe America, but that just looks to me like it's all part of the first wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Hopefully this won't be the case but what will they do if the test is positive? Its not like a c section can be postponed for a few weeks. Extra precautions I suppose?

Yeah, I think so. Probably isolated operating theatre and ward for this eventuality.
    Plenty of children born over last 5 months for this to happen plenty of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I agree. Also all tax income should be allocated on where it is generated......
    Just to be fair like.

Also hospital places, university places and jobs should be prioritised for Dublin Citizens.

Sarcasm. We are all in this together.

520369.png

Mwengwe wrote: »
    It's questionable that a Spanish-flu-like second wave has taken place anywhere just yet. Numbers have gone back up in places but that's not the same thing.

Willing to be pointed to info to show otherwise. Maybe America, but that just looks to me like it's all part of the first wave.

This isn't the Spanish Flu of 1918. 2nd wave came in the Autumn and the 3rd wave in the following Winter. We had quarter the population back then and no mass air travel. We also had no real effective treatments.

In terms of this virus per country, waves are when you see sustained high numbers, followed by low numbers, followed by high numbers.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/

I agree. Also all tax income should be allocated on where it is generated......
    Just to be fair like.

Also hospital places, university places and jobs should be prioritised for Dublin Citizens.

520369.png

GDP per person in Dublin?

Take out the multinationals over inflating it and what is it?

Ye'd back eating coddle 7 days a week if it wasn't for the rest of the country.

:)

So 90 minutes is all talk only not implemented

I thought the 90 minutes was for where 2 meters could not be implemented?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Sure how would all the culchies get to work then?

Erm, I wasn't serious, obviously.

It’s a good idea though, most of the google and Facebook employees are working from now and are probably back in portlaoise Now, and most of the rest of our major employers are outside the M50. The capital is a drain on the rest of the country at this stage, cut them loose.

To snooze or not snooze in the Dail :p

Is it true the Dail pub is open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Probably could in some cases. I’m expecting and because number 1 was natural and no. 2 was a section I have the choice. Usually an elective section is at 39 weeks so I’m assume if I tested Positive for Covid they could just say hang on. You can go up to 42 weeks in the NMH. I assume the risk the mother / baby / staff of a covid positive section would be weighed up against the risk of waiting.
    Interesting though, I never thought about being tested for the section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Is it true the Dail pub is open?

The Dáil bar is open and serving food.

Have you a point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement