Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It'd be funny if someone invented a way to tell you who gave you the virus and you could judge how relaxed they were in terms of masks and social distancing etc. Imagine you have an arrogant idiot in your family who refuses to comply with anything because they're just so important and gives it to someone vunerable in your family. Or even worse gives it to a younger person with no underlying conditions who then dies. But as long as Mr arrogant got to live his live without any tiny restrictions or reorganisation whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

I feel like Roger Federer whose opponent has tried and failed to lob him so here is the smash back to you;

CSO life expectancy statistics; 78.4 years for men, and 82.8 years for women https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/statisticsexplained/birthsdeathsandmarriages/lifeexpectancytables/

Covid statistics https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

It is funny that nowhere at all on that official page of the covid stats do they actually include the median age of deaths, which automatically should raise suspicions. They do include the median age of cases (which is 48 years old btw). We already know that a death "with" covid is counted as a covid death so the figures would've been massaged anyway. Nonetheless, going back searching for some official source of information on average age of deaths (as they make it hard to find for obvious reasons) it appears that 92% of deaths as at mid-May were covid "related". Hmm https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcases/

I may be misunderstanding your post, but it does say:

>In almost 88% of deaths there was an underlying condition, the median age of these deaths was 83, the same as that for all deaths.

There we have it. 83.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

fr336 wrote: »
    If you're being serious why are you not going via Dublin? If it's that important, pay the extra fare. Don't be a potential spreader north of the border.

It's a return flight. Direct flight might not be possible after few weeks.

And its been a while I have been to Mussenden Temple. Lovely place, worth visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I quote this from the article you linked to.

Fears of a heatstroke pandemic have prompted firms in neighbouring Japan, where temperatures are expected to soar in July and August, to develop “cool” masks made from hi-tech materials.
    The sportswear maker Mizuno is selling masks made from fabrics usually found in its range of swimsuits and athletics apparel, while the material used in Yonex’s Very Cool range includes xylitol, which, it says, allows the mask to dry quickly.

In any case I very much doubt that hot temperatures like those in Korea at present will become an issue here in Ireland not if the current weather outlook is anything to go by.

It was linked to counter your point though, I'm not interested in Irish weather and its affect on masks here.

You made the point its never been an issue for Asian countries but there we have people in an Asian country raising issues. So the theory of oh they've always done it and not complained doesn't hold up. That's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

>In almost 88% of deaths there was an underlying condition, the median age of these deaths was 83, the same as that for all deaths.

There we have it. 83.

The poster asked me if I was "one of those" that highlighted that the deaths were in line with the average age of dying anyway, so I was only responding to him. But it will be interesting to see if he has a follow up to this, as he was the one who wanted to know about these stats.

• Advertisement

Anyone in their 60s, 70s, 80s and beyond and those with even the most basic underlying health condition such as ashtma should be sent a letter by the government saying "Sorry folks, thanks and all but turns out the majority of your peers don't really give a damn about whether you live or die. Basically lock yourselves up so you don't get in the way of the majority living their exciting lives or too bad really. We would however urge the 60 year olds we have as teachers to maybe take extra precautions as we could really do without you lot dying. Thanksx"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Serious question, would it be even possible for the government to legally enforce the 14 day quarantine upon arrival here? Or has the horse long bolted on that

If this was done and a list of actual airbridges were published at the same time, I think this would do much to deal witht the current confusion and anger around travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

ah we're back to let's blame young people. A sweeping generalisation to show how out of touch you really are.

Interview in the Independent with an older couple at the airport today travelling to the south of France on holiday. They don't fit into the snowflake generation now do they ?? They gave their reasons as to why they felt happy to travel

Indeed, the feckless pampered millenial generation who now face the second deep recession in living memory, job uncertainty for years to come, and likely a resumption of mass emigration (once the pandemic clears up). Not to mention the improbability of ever owning their own home and the other problems predating all of this chaos, not to mention the problems yet to come (Brexit, climate change etc.)

I wonder if the poster making those comments has ever considered the fact that, this generation, being spat on and mocked by those before it for being pampered and entitled, has now wholeheartedly committed itself to protecting the very people who despise them by making the unprecedented move to stay at home for months on end (a challenge the poster above never had to deal with in his day of course). That despite the outliers and occassional exceptions (which the above poster will exclusively dwell on of course) the vast majority don't make the news or social media because they fully commit to this huge effort.

But sure never mind that, aren't we all just mindless brats who universally dye our hair blue and universally feel offence at micro-aggressions and, apparently, universally break lockdown rules when we're not mindlessly playing with fidget spinners or using tik tok. Never mind climate change or Brexit or repeated recessions, sure haven't you all got xboxs to please you, now shut your gobs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

All but one of the 43 perpetrators facing legal action were men

43 people getting fines out of a population of 50 million? They need to scrap masks immediately.

:pac:

I perused your posts on this matter and before we went into lockdown you cried how we would become Italy for not locking down sooner. Turns out you were wrong and OTT with your claim.

Did I? Sure I wasn't referring to the UK? Would seem odd to compare a country of 5 million Eire to one of 60 million Italia...

I have yet to be bothered enough to look up a poster's past posts but I guess we are all very bored right now...no pubs to go to...no shops...no flights...oh wait.

• Advertisement

Anyone in their 60s, 70s, 80s and beyond and those with even the most basic underlying health condition such as ashtma should be sent a letter by the government saying "Sorry folks, thanks and all but turns out the majority of your peers don't really give a damn about whether you live or die. Basically lock yourselves up so you don't get in the way of the majority living their exciting lives or too bad really. We would however urge the 60 year olds we have as teachers to maybe take extra precautions as we could really do without you lot dying. Thanksx"

Emotive, hysterical venting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Indeed, the feckless pampered millenial generation who now face the second deep recession in living memory, job uncertainty for years to come, and likely a resumption of mass emigration (once the pandemic clears up). Not to mention the improbability of ever owning their own home and the other problems predating all of this chaos, not to mention the problems yet to come (Brexit, climate change etc.)

I wonder if the poster making those comments has ever considered the fact that, this generation, being spat on and mocked by those before it for being pampered and entitled, has now wholeheartedly committed itself to protecting the very people who despise them by making the unprecedented move to stay at home for months on end (a challenge the poster above never had to deal with in his day of course). That despite the outliers and occassional exceptions (which the above poster will exclusively dwell on of course) the vast majority don't make the news or social media because they fully commit to this huge effort.

But sure never mind that, aren't we all just mindless brats who universally dye our hair blue and universally feel offence at micro-aggressions and, apparently, universally break lockdown rules when we're not mindlessly playing with fidget spinners or using tik tok. Never mind climate change or Brexit or repeated recessions, sure haven't you all got xboxs to please you, now shut your gobs. :rolleyes:

Jaysus, calm down snowflake.

:)

Did I? Sure I wasn't referring to the UK? Would seem odd to compare a country of 5 million Eire to one of 60 million Italia...

I have yet to be bothered enough to look up a poster's past posts but I guess we are all very bored right now...no pubs to go to...no shops...no flights...oh wait.

Deny, deflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

Pubs and cinemas shouldn't even be open as I have said many times.

I've been going to the pub in Germany since mid May, as have all of my friends. The nation is still standing, as are all of us. I don't see you calling for meat plants to be shut down, despite there being outbreaks in them in Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Likewise there's quite a large Dunnes near me, posted in the restrictions thread about it last week. Went down once during the initial raft of lockdown and they'd a queueing system set up, 1 way in 1 way out limited numbers etc. Went down last week and you could use any entrance. Asked one of the lads sanitising the trolleys and he said it was gone for the last 2 weeks. Was just like going in pre March but with notices etc on the floor and regular announcements

In relation to queuing outside premises
    Many shops are not and will not one simple reason insurance.
    Shops/ business public liability insurance won't cover queuing outside so they are recommend to hire security, insurance for the security officer will only cover them for the premises and not for people queuing outside.
    So you will likely see less and less controlled queuing in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There we have it. 83.
    It also says 1,736 'includes probable and possible' deaths, could someone tell me what that means?
    A 'probable and possible' cause of death would never be tolerated on a death cert would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

s1ippy wrote: »
    In relation to the more cautious people being over-represented online, I don't think this is true at all.

I have a number of friends I made down through the years who are locals at pubs I frequent. We have various Whatsapp groups where we stay in touch and share memes or anecdotes. I enquired yesterday in a few of them if anyone had their first creamy screamer yet. Except for one person (who's by their own admission, had a very hard time of it. A healthcare worker.) none of the lads have bothered going out yet.

"I've waited four months, no harm in another few if it means not contracting a potentially life-changing/ending virus."

Some of these lads would have been in the pub every day and on the bag (or ten) every weekend.

Actually, I think it might just be the people who represent a different opinion may appear to be over-represented online. Like I mentioned before, I'm more apprehensive and after spending far too long on this thread, the mess-it-up-for-everyone* crowd appeared more representative to me, and was pleasantly surprised when speaking with different groups of friends that they were all following the guidelines and had an attitude very similar to mine.

*By this I mean those who want to go on holidays. I don't actually believe they are the mess-it-up crowd, but they call anyone who is apprehensive a doom-monger.
    Do you actually believe that things like distance and restrictions on events are permanent ??

Eventually things will go back to how they were, be it 6 months, a year whatever, your not going to have permanent restrictions on events and distancing

I'm not saying this is false, but if lowering social distancing leads to spikes, what other option will we have? It's like when the pubs started closing themselves before they were told to, all put up signs saying "Back in two weeks" and it was 4 months. I guess all other pandemics ended eventually, but it's hard to know what it was that caused them to end. Though they were flu-based so seasonal and therefore the more relatively-recent ones were easier to develop a vaccine for.
    Wait till the suspects on here hear we may have a vaccine by September! Doooooooooooom

I think you're being a little overly-harsh here. I'm sure those you are referring to will be just as delighted as everyone else if an effective vaccine arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus, calm down snowflake.

:)

Careful, I might have you cancelled. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It'd be funny if someone invented a way to tell you who gave you the virus and you could judge how relaxed they were in terms of masks and social distancing etc. Imagine you have an arrogant idiot in your family who refuses to comply with anything because they're just so important and gives it to someone vunerable in your family. Or even worse gives it to a younger person with no underlying conditions who then dies. But as long as Mr arrogant got to live his live without any tiny restrictions or reorganisation whatsoever.[/QUOTE

But but but there couldn`t possibly be any such arrogant idiots such as those you describe in this country. I wonder what could possibly have given you that idea.:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

1 case having an 8 day wait out of the 5000 referrals per day is not a major issue.

It does imply that no one else will get a quicker test in the next 8 days though (in the locale)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Actually, I think it might just be the people who represent a different opinion may appear to be over-represented online. Like I mentioned before, I'm more apprehensive and after spending far too long on this thread, the mess-it-up-for-everyone* crowd appeared more representative to me, and was pleasantly surprised when speaking with different groups of friends that they were all following the guidelines and had an attitude very similar to mine.

*By this I mean those who want to go on holidays. I don't actually believe they are the mess-it-up crowd, but they call anyone who is apprehensive a doom-monger.

I'm not saying this is false, but if lowering social distancing leads to spikes, what other option will we have? It's like when the pubs started closing themselves before they were told to, all put up signs saying "Back in two weeks" and it was 4 months. I guess all other pandemics ended eventually, but it's hard to know what it was that caused them to end. Though they were flu-based so seasonal and therefore the more relatively-recent ones were easier to develop a vaccine for.

I think you're being a little overly-harsh here. I'm sure those you are referring to will be just as delighted as everyone else if an effective vaccine arrives.

My point on social distancing was the poster said its permanent, it isn't. Be it 6 months, a year whatever it might be until a vaccine and or suitable treatment, its far from permanent, human nature is to be social and that just hasn't changed.
    I dont know any bar man or publican that actually believed they'd be closed for just 2 weeks. Not when the government were putting together a 12 week social welfare package straight out of the blocks.

s1ippy wrote: »
    In relation to the more cautious people being over-represented online, I don't think this is true at all.

I have a number of friends I made down through the years who are locals at pubs I frequent. We have various Whatsapp groups where we stay in touch and share memes or anecdotes. I enquired yesterday in a few of them if anyone had their first creamy screamer yet. Except for one person (who's by their own admission, had a very hard time of it. A healthcare worker.) none of the lads have bothered going out yet.

"I've waited four months, no harm in another few if it means not contracting a potentially life-changing/ending virus."

Some of these lads would have been in the pub every day and on the bag (or ten) every weekend.

A bit worrying that the one person who did go out, would be considered a high risk category?

Deny, deflect.

Was I referring to Ireland or the UK? You have the time in your hands to check my posts, get back to me. Blah blah blah

ZX7R wrote: »
    In relation to queuing outside premises
    Many shops are not and will not one simple reason insurance.
    Shops/ business public liability insurance won't cover queuing outside so they are recommend to hire security, insurance for the security officer will only cover them for the premises and not for people queuing outside.
    So you will likely see less and less controlled queuing in the future

Interesting indeed regarding insurance and queuing outside.

Maybe there will be a new public service job of “Covid Inspector” who could ply public transport, shopping centres, pubs, streets etc, make records, and call in Garda assistance for further enforcement where required in more difficult situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I see from the dashboard (https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/) that 4600 tests were completed yesterday. The no of positive tests has increased by 22 since yesterday. This doesn't mean 22 new cases, as some of these will be retests of people who already tested positive.

Nah - its not the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I see from the dashboard (https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/) that 4600 tests were completed yesterday. The no of positive tests has increased by 22 since yesterday. This doesn't mean 22 new cases, as some of these will be retests of people who already tested positive.

Can’t really go by number of tests, hospitals would test people multiple times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Can’t really go by number of tests, hospitals would test people multiple times

No, you can't, but it does set an upper limit on the no of new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

No, you can't, but it does set an upper limit on the no of new cases

Yes very true, i would say half that number but thats just a wild guess

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Interesting indeed regarding insurance and queuing outside.

Maybe there will be a new public service job of “Covid Inspector” who could ply public transport, shopping centres, pubs, streets etc, make records, and call in Garda assistance for further enforcement where required in more difficult situations.

It will be an essential requirement I`d say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement