Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I'm actually ok with wearing the mask, doesn't bother me really..... It's the queues that piss me off. Drove to Limerick yesterday to one particular shopping area, saw the queue and simply turned the car around and drove home. Just can't get used to that aspect of the new normal at all. If I'm wearing a mask, why are we waiting to get into a shop with a handful of customers in there? It's either one rule or the other imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

If the Government are still doing contact tracing, I think they should provide a high level backstory behind each case to the public. With current low numbers this would be possible. Also back stories to deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Only 9 people in hospital according to last nights update. 6 in the Mater!! CUH and The Mercy clear and empty now.
    8 people in ICU 3 on ventilators down 1
    No deaths again in ICU in the last 24 hours.,
    1 thing to note is the increase in suspected cases from 4 to 8 but that is precautionary As is the 111 suspected cases.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-2000-18-july-20201.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Redundant point.
    We are advised against non essential travel.
    Weekend breaks and multiple holidays to USA and Europe are non essential.

Therefore by your logic travel into a country is redundant why start this discussion and why make that exact point about NZ you are now arguing against?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

What are people's views on masks in supermarkets - supermarkets don't appear to have been a source of any significant transmission, but public opinion has shifted to wearing masks in all shops regardless. Yes, masks might protect people from spreading it from a cough/sneeze etc. but in terms of its importance in supermarkets, what are people's views of the impact of wearing masks on overall cases specifically relating to supermarkets where people generally have scope to distance?

Just do it. It's easier to do it than to sit around analysing whether you should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What are people's views on masks in supermarkets - supermarkets don't appear to have been a source of any significant transmission, but public opinion has shifted to wearing masks in all shops regardless. Yes, masks might protect people from spreading it from a cough/sneeze etc. but in terms of its importance in supermarkets, what are people's views of the impact of wearing masks on overall cases specifically relating to supermarkets where people generally have scope to distance?
    In terms of cases probably very little. You can distance quite effectively in some of the very large supermarkets and even smaller ones to an extent. The face covering edict is really more for shopping centres and other shops, where there may be much higher volumes of people. As for public opinion, I think it's shifted to completely fed up and that comes out various ways, random anger both at other people and restrictions, more fear and a lot more intolerance.

I still don’t understand why people have an issue with wearing masks in indoor public spaces.

I understand when you are in a restaurant or pub not wearing one but in all other places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I still don’t understand why people have an issue with wearing masks in indoor public spaces.

I understand when you are in a restaurant or pub not wearing one but in all other places?

Numerous friends of mine insisting they won't because they see is as government trying to control us.

3 of them have underlying issues and still believe that.

Numerous friends of mine insisting they won't because they see is as government trying to control us.

Do they wear clothes? Seat belts? Pay taxes?

I'll never get the control thing. They just don't want to look weird and cling to whatever excuse they can.

• Advertisement

I don’t get it. How are the Government controlling us with mask wearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

It’s just a huge change for people I suppose. It is so far from our culture that there will always be resistance. That coupled with the anger after seeing the tourists flying in from America and government not really addressing it or just brushing it off as small numbers and once again blaming us for this “surge”.
    Some people also probably want to have some control over how they handle this themselves after a lot of those freedoms were temporarily taken away at the start of this.
    I wonder how long masks will be required though?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It's a belief that it's enforced modified behaviour, which it is anyway. The way the messages around it here have been delivered is unexplained, blunt and mandatory. Here's what Daniel Andrews said in Australia about it. No danger of anyone here using that approach Much lower fine too, of $200.
    “We’re going to be wearing masks in Victoria and potentially in other parts of the country for a very long time,” Andrews said.

“There’s no vaccine to this wildly infectious virus,” he said. Masks are “a simple thing, but it’s about changing habits, it’s about becoming a simple part of your routine”.

Masks are common sense.

COVID19 is a respiratory illness. Protect others, protect yourself.

Just wear a fock1ng mask and use hand sanitizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Male or Female friends out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's a belief that it's enforced modified behaviour, which it is anyway. The way the messages around it here have been delivered is unexplained, blunt and mandatory. Here's what Daniel Andrews said in Australia about it. No danger of anyone here using that approach Much lower fine too, of $200.

Yeah Ive been wearing various types of masks for months now. I dont see the issue. Even here in the US, it was I'd say 80% of people wearing them in my area even before they were made mandatory. As our governor put it, and there are signs everywhere saying it "no shoes, no shirt, no mask? no service". Could it be anymore blunt? Masks work, its not that big a deal to wear one for the short time you're in a shop. I'm very surprised to see the resistance to them on here tbh. I wish we had mandated them on reopening, then we might not be in this position now. At the rate ireland is at, masks could make a real difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Santy2015 wrote: »

They've built up a fairly big following for an anonymous account. Wonder do they have a professional connection to covid19 or just read up like people on here say?

Masks are common sense.

COVID19 is a respiratory illness. Protect others, protect yourself.

Just wear a fock1ng mask and use hand sanitizer.
    And this is why you can't understand them! You've established a clear immovable position on them and can't understand how others could think differently. That's why there is tension over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Vitamin D, the argument for making sure people are not deficient.

I really don’t understand why this isn’t a general recommendation in the fight against COVID. I have no doubt that some people who play close attention to this will know but most people don’t. It can help reduce the chance you can get a severe dose and is one of the easiest things we can do as a society to make it happen.

I don’t see too many talk about viral loads, I don’t fully understand it but the amount one is exposed to can make a huge difference to the dose of COVID you might get. It seems if you get a smaller viral load when infected that doesn’t go directly into your lungs, your body might of created antibodies before the virus has taken hold of the body (gone into lungs).

For those still pondering over whether to wear a mask , this will give you some good food for thought

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent
    Two compelling case reports also suggest that masks can prevent transmission in high-risk scenarios, said Chin-Hong and Rutherford. In one case, a man flew from China to Toronto and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. He had a dry cough and wore a mask on the flight, and all 25 people closest to him on the flight tested negative for COVID-19. In another case, in late May, two hair stylists in Missouri had close contact with 140 clients while sick with COVID-19. Everyone wore a mask and none of the clients tested positive.

VIT D and masks are not difficult things to encourage. If they reduce the impact of the virus it’s criminal to refuse to follow the guideline and put others in danger because you want to suit yourself.

And this is why you can't understand them! You've established a clear immovable position on them and can't understand how others could think differently. That's why there is tension over them.

There is no debate on not wearing a mask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The people who have an issue with masks, more than likely are missing an opportunity to spread their germs about the place and that's all it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Do they wear clothes? Seat belts? Pay taxes?

I'll never get the control thing. They just don't want to look weird and cling to whatever excuse they can.

Try and go into Dundrum shopping centre naked and see what happens. People's behaviour has always been regulated.
    Fortunately, most people will now be wearing masks and only those without will look 'weird'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

There is nothing to get. These people are idiots

Drumpot wrote: »

Vitamin D, the argument for making sure people are not deficient.
    I'm a big fan of Vitamin D anyway but it always concerns me when this type of cure-all approach starts to become "gospel". Good health is many, many things.

There is nothing to get. These people are idiots
    Nope, they just do things and have opinions you don't like. Remember wearing a mask also suggests that you are infected and someone could rightly wonder why you're out infecting people!

I'm a big fan of Vitamin D anyway but it always concerns me when this type of cure-all approach starts to become "gospel". Good health is many, many things.

It’s not a cure all approach, we don’t have any cure right now, all we have is steps we can take to reduce the impact of the virus.

There is a massive VIT D deficiency epidemic and addressing this could reduce the impact of COVID on a massive amount of people dieing and getting severely ill. Why would we not promote people monitor their vit D Levels if it can help?

I’m not so sure you watched the video, it’s not a celebraty doctor pandering to a crowd. He helps share medical information to other hospitals and doctors around USA. It’s also for medical students. There’s no emotional or political leanings to the videos, It’s just the facts.....

Drumpot wrote: »
    It’s not a cure all approach, we don’t have any cure right now, all we have is steps we can take to reduce the impact of the virus.

There is a massive VIT D deficiency epidemic and addressing this could reduce the impact of COVID on a massive amount of people dieing and getting severely ill. Why would we not promote people mint of their vit D Levels?

I’m not so sure you watched the video, it’s not a celebraty doctor pandering to a crowd. He helps share medical information to other hospitals and doctors around USA. It’s also for medical students. It’s just the facts.....
    Vitamin D is unproven in this context but good for the immune system anyway. I have seen it before, someone who's a big fan has been sending me stuff. There is an industry around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nope, they just do things and have opinions you don't like. Remember wearing a mask also suggests that you are infected and someone could rightly wonder why you're out infecting people!

No, no, no, no it doesn't. An absolute mental thing to say.

Seriously, people seem to be stuck in February.

Masks in terms a simple thing we can do of trying to live through a once in a generation global pandemic is the lowest of hanging fruit.

Vitamin D is unproven in this context but good for the immune system anyway. I have seen it before, someone who's a big fan has been sending me stuff. There is an industry around it.

He explains in the video exactly why VIT D will help.

It’s quite technical but I’d love to hear your rebuttal to his points.

Thats only because of the inexplicable push at the start of the outbreak that masks only protect others. No, actually they protect you too. Not gonna lie, that's why I wear one. Pretty certain I dont have it and no reason to think I've been exposed, so I wear a mask in public to reduce the chance of exposure.

Like I said, most people here are wearing masks, its definitely not an indication that they are infected. Tbh if I see a person with their mask pulled down I immediately presume they are infected and avoid them and wonder why they are such a dickhead. And I've even seen a few MAGA masks so even some of the actual dickheads understand what needs to be done

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    No, no, no, no it doesn't. An absolute mental thing to say.

Seriously, people seem to be stuck in February.

Masks in terms a simple thing we can do of trying to live through a once in a generation global pandemic is the lowest of hanging fruit.
    It's not what I think but it's not beyond the weird and wonderful that some might be thinking. I never liked that treat everyone as if they are infected message anyway. Masks are ultimately a political solution but that too needs explaining. If our plan is to wear a mask and keep pushing Phase 4 out till 2021 they should come out and say that.

It's not what I think but it's not beyond the weird and wonderful that some might be thinking. I never liked that treats everyone as if they are infected message anyway. Masks are ultimately a political solution but that too needs explaining. If our plan is to wear a mask and keep pushing Phase 4 out till 2021 they should come out and say that.

Huh? :confused:

Are seat belts are a political solution?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah Ive been wearing various types of masks for months now. I dont see the issue. Even here in the US, it was I'd say 80% of people wearing them in my area even before they were made mandatory. As our governor put it, and there are signs everywhere saying it "no shoes, no shirt, no mask? no service". Could it be anymore blunt? Masks work, its not that big a deal to wear one for the short time you're in a shop. I'm very surprised to see the resistance to them on here tbh. I wish we had mandated them on reopening, then we might not be in this position now. At the rate ireland is at, masks could make a real difference.

Which state are you living in?

Which state are you living in?

Nevada

Seatbelts we know work, distancing in this context is the seatbelt. Masks may or might help but are probably a good idea and are more like airbags. The measure was brought in by government and I would like to hear how long this is planned for. If it's initially 3-4 months then say so and we can adjust to it.

I don’t believe for one minute no mask wearers think this.

With Perspex screens, Social distancing signs everywhere most staff wearing masks, I don’t believe anyone thinks because the average Joe is wearing a mask that they tested positive for COVID19.

Seatbelts we know work, distancing in this context is the seatbelt. Masks may or might help but are probably a good idea and are more like airbags. The measure was brought in by government and I would like to hear how long this is planned for. If it's initially 3-4 months then say so and we can adjust to it.

:pac:

You are way over thinking it lad.

As for how long it is planned for, we will be wearing masks until this pandemic comes to end one way or another.

I don't think you need an elected official to tell you that, it's pretty obvious.

Unless you think Leo or Michael is going to come out and 3 months tell everyone to stop washing their hands?

Absolute farcical arguments at this stage.

I don’t believe for one minute no mask wearers think this.

With Perspex screens, Social distancing signs everywhere most staff wearing masks, I don’t believe anyone thinks because the average Joe is wearing a mask that they tested positive for COVID19.

They don't it's an absolute mental notion to try and make a case around at this stage in the pandemic.

He did try to temper by saying "some people will think like this".

Well some people think 5G is spreading Aids.

Their dribbling lunacy has absolutely no relationship with what is now standard public health advice the world over, trying to build an argument around it as a reason to cast doubt on masks is just farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

How can the government make definitive statements on this? They have to respond to the situation on the ground, if cases are increasing they need to keep measures in place. They cannot be fully aware in advance of the exact effect of a measure, we haven't had this disease before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

No, it doesn't suggest it. It shows that you respect others and don't want to infect them in case you are pre symptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Everything is, it is a solution to the problem of safe speeds being ridiculously low without them.

Mandate seatbelt wearing or set universal speed limit to I don't know 25kmph. That is a political decision given a no brained, but one none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768532

This article suggests that only wearing masks can stop pandemic but some people prefer lockdown as I see...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

I wear my mask everywhere indoors. I have a respiratory condition and after about 10 min with my mask on I feel very uncomfortable, catching my breath, faint.

I think it's reasons like that which may be at the root of some non mask wearing rather than mal intent or people being image conscience. Other stuff too. People with glasses often find they fog up.

How can the government make definitive statements on this? They have to respond to the situation on the ground, if cases are increasing they need to keep measures in place. They cannot be fully aware in advance of the exact effect of a measure, we haven't had this disease before.
    Well Varadkar was able to state that Aug 10 is the minimum date for pubs. A bit more of that kind of communication would not have gone amiss a week ago.
    Their decision making is based on a wait and see 3 week cycle, that's not any kind of planning and they do need to get past that. We're a few weeks off possible school opening and not even a whiff of a plan. That too it seems is now dependent on the next 3 weeks. The pubs, by the looks of things, are gone until September or Octobers and clubs probably till 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Well Varadkar was able to state that Aug 10 is the minimum date for pubs. A bit more of that kind of communication would not have gone amiss a week ago.
    Their decision making is based on a wait and see 3 week cycle, that's not any kind of planning and they do need to get past that. We're a few weeks off possible school opening and not even a whiff of a plan. That too it seems is now dependent on the next 3 weeks. The pubs, by the looks of things, are gone until September or Octobers and clubs probably till 2021.

We are in an unprecedented evolving situation. Look at Isreal, did really well initially and "beat" the virus and now they are in lockdown with cases higher than ever.

Anybody making promises, saying you will be able to do this that or the other is either lying or deluded.

• Advertisement

:pac:

You are way over thinking it lad.

As for how long it is planned for, we will be wearing masks until this pandemic comes to end one way or another.

I don't think you need an elected official to tell you that, it's pretty obvious.

Unless you think Leo or Michael is going to come out and 3 months tell everyone to stop washing their hands?

Absolute farcical arguments at this stage.
    What, that the government doesn't have a plan, even a tentative one?

The Premier of NSW was able to articulate their plan clearly. Unpleasant but now known.

“We’re going to be wearing masks in Victoria and potentially in other parts of the country for a very long time,” Andrews said.

We are in an unprecedented evolving situation. Look at Isreal, did really well initially and "beat" the virus and now they are in lockdown with cases higher than ever.

Anybody making promises, saying you will be able to do this that or the other is either lying or deluded.
    Any country claiming to beat the virus did not beat it. They opened schools too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

The government are stalling the pubs as they know the second wave is coming in autumn and this will give us a fighting chance. Open the pubs now and we're pretty much back to square one in august and September with numerous clusters that are very difficult to contact trace. Yes it sucks to be a pub owner right now, but this wil save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Any country claiming to beat the virus did not beat it. They opened schools too early.

Is it possible that maybe the countries that locked down just delayed the inevitable and that's why they are seeing increases now. The lockdown was originally to give the healthservices time to adapt and prepare. It wasn't the solution. Social distance, handwashing and masks will probably long term be the correct answer to this. People losing their minds over the daily numbers we were always going to open up to more cases then we closed unless we have a vacine.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement