Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Danzy wrote: »
    We won't know if Sweden had the right approach till next year.

Antibody testing etc suggests that they have a widespread immunity in their cities. So they should avoid a 2nd wave.

No one knows the correct approach yet.

They haven't got close to the daft immunity thing they were trying and have since more or less given up on that. I think its safe to say their approach was wrong and in hindsight they wouldn't repeat the same mistakes that cost so many lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The only laugh is posters still trying to talk up Swedens approach. I have no doubt Danish and Norwegians are still shaking their heads at how their near neighbours allowed so many needlessly died from this virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Don't know about this herd immunity in Sweden...

Outbreak News on June 19th
    http://outbreaknewstoday.com/sweden-covid-19-studies-ongoing-infection-antibody-tests-in-blood-donors-98648/

(Outbreak News sounds a bit wacky as a name :confused:, but the quote seems to be factual).
    In addition, Swedish health officials reported on the results of the first antibody assays to detect the COVID-19 in blood donors.

During the week 17-22, the Public Health Authority collected 400 samples per week from blood donors aged 18-72 in the nine regions: Jämtland, Jönköping, Kalmar, Skåne, Stockholm, Uppsala, Västerbotten, Västra Götaland and Örebro. The first preliminary results show that the proportion of blood donors with antibodies to COVID-19 was 1.6 percent at week 17 and had changed to 5.0 percent at week 22.

However, the test responses are too few to make it possible to divide them statistically by regions.

The Public Health Authority also continues to investigate excess blood samples collected from laboratories in clinical chemistry and clinical immunology via outpatient care in the same nine regions as above. Collection takes place during eight weeks in spring 2020. A total of 1,200 samples are collected each week for analysis of antibodies that show that the immune system recognizes the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19.

Analysis of samples collected at Week 21 shows that antibodies to covid-19 are detected in 6.3 percent of the studied population. Antibodies continue to be lowest among older adults 65-95 years with 3.9 percent and higher among adults 20-64 years with 7.6 percent and among children 0-19 years with 7.5 percent.

Data at the regional level is presented only for Stockholm, Västra Götaland and Skåne as the number of samples collected for the other regions is less than 100 and therefore cannot give reliable results. In the Stockholm region, Week 21 had the highest proportion of antibody positives with 10.0 percent, followed by Skåne with 4.5 percent and Västra Götaland with 2.7 percent.

The antibody analyzes are done in collaboration with SciLifeLab

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Danzy wrote: »
    We won't know if Sweden had the right approach till next year.

Antibody testing etc suggests that they have a widespread immunity in their cities. So they should avoid a 2nd wave.

No one knows the correct approach yet.
    Last I heard the antibody tests proven the exact opposite, that immunity was not widespread at all or nearly as prevalent as previously thought. Stockholm 15% immunity if I recall correctly, and by far the highest of any urban area in Sweden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I'm surprised by how few face make there are in that picture. And in fact a little bit suspicious of its validity considering I have not seen one single person not wearing a mask on the bus or dart over the last few days in Dublin !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I'm surprised by how few face make there are in that picture. And in fact a little bit suspicious of its validity considering I have not seen one single person not wearing a mask on the bus or dart over the last few days in Dublin !

There should be 100% reserved seating on long distance trains and busses. It's the only approach that would make any sense. People standing in vestibules is a total mess.

Even outside of COVID-19 era stuff it should be the norm, but at the moment there should be no reason why Irish Rail in particular can't provide an allocated seat to anyone boarding a train. It's not rocket science. There's plenty of IT systems in place and many other businesses have gone above and beyond to ensure social distancing and protect customers and the population at large from the spread of COVID-19.

I'm unfortunately not surprised that Irish Rail couldn't organise this though.

You see stuff like this and you'd just wonder, what's the point?! Even the state's own companies aren't getting the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Lombardy reports no deaths for the first time since Feb 22nd

https://twitter.com/webecodibergamo/status/1284874657167036416?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

There should be 100% reserved seating on long distance trains and busses. It's the only approach that would make any sense. People standing in vestibules is a total mess.

Even outside of COVID-19 era stuff it should be the norm, but at the moment there should be no reason why Irish Rail in particular can't provide an allocated seat to anyone boarding a train. It's not rocket science. There's plenty of IT systems in place and many other businesses have gone above and beyond to ensure social distancing and protect customers and the population at large from the spread of COVID-19.

I'm unfortunately not surprised that Irish Rail couldn't organise this though.

I booked to use the Cork - Dublin train next weekend but seeing that picture has given me serious doubts.
    So despite booking my train online, I have no guarantee of a seat or even getting on my designated train if it is already overcrowded by the time it arrives at the station I will be boarding at?!!
    Irish rail should be operating a strict online seating reservation system for the foreseeable, but they are doing the exact opposite! I imagine you would have lots of people clambering all over each other to get on the trains now with the restricted seating!! What a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Virus virtually gone throughout Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Glenomra wrote: »
    Virus virtually gone throughout Europe.

:confused:

Excl Russia, Europe had 6000 new cases yesterday.

Dream on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Lombardy reports no deaths for the first time since Feb 22nd

https://twitter.com/webecodibergamo/status/1284874657167036416?s=21

Yup and only 3 deaths in last 24 hours. With population of 60m , that's very impressive.

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I booked to use the Cork - Dublin train next weekend but seeing that picture has given me serious doubts.
    So despite booking my train online, I have no guarantee of a seat or even getting on my designated train if it is already overcrowded by the time it arrives at the station I will be boarding at?!!
    Irish rail should be operating a strict online seating reservation system for the foreseeable, but they are doing the exact opposite! I imagine you would have lots of people clambering all over each other to get on the trains now with the restricted seating!! What a farce.

It makes no sense and looks like Irish Rail is just doing what they've always done. Their lack of consistency, whether it's a resourcing issue or whatever it is, always leaves me feeling that I can't rely on them. It's just far more serious in these circumstances if the trains are just operating as per normal with overcrowding being allowed.

I mean what's the point of wearing masks if you're sitting on the floor outside the toilet for 2 to 3 hours, squashed up against other passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Dream on!

Yep. And Romania looks to be in particularly bad shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yup and only 3 deaths in last 24 hours. With population of 60m , that's very impressive.

3 in the whole country? This seasonal/virus-runs-its-course theory is becoming more and more palatable to me given that Italy opened up a couple of months ago now. They’ve seen massive anti-mask protests, some cases of packed bars, etc. And it still heads down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

It makes no sense and looks like Irish Rail is just doing what they've always done. Their lack of consistency, whether it's a resourcing issue or whatever it is, always leaves me feeling that I can't rely on them. It's just far more serious in these circumstances if the trains are just operating as per normal with overcrowding being allowed.

I mean what's the point of wearing masks if you're sitting on the floor outside the toilet for 2 to 3 hours, squashed up against other passengers.

I had to book a train for next month and couldn't believe you can't reserve a seat due to Covid-19, seriously what is their thought process? that does not make an ounce of sense. There will be a scramble for the doors as soon as they open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

3 in the whole country? This seasonal/virus-runs-its-course theory is becoming more and more palatable to me given that Italy opened up a couple of months ago now. They’ve seen massive anti-mask protests, some cases of packed bars, etc. And it still heads down.

Apparently so alright. Found it hard to believe when I saw it at first.

https://twitter.com/antoguerrera/status/1284876369659408385

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Dream on!

A percentage rate of infection of 0.0008 of the population. Yes, virtually gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Galadriel wrote: »
    I had to book a train for next month and couldn't believe you can't reserve a seat due to Covid-19, seriously what is their thought process? that does not make an ounce of sense. There will be a scramble for the doors as soon as they open.

I imagine they have seats/rows blocked off for distancing.
    The Irish Rail guidelines

https://www.irishrail.ie/news/covid-19-update#Service

Thats great stuff from Italy that country has suffered enough

• Advertisement

It's Irish Rail... based on experience, my expectations are very low.
    They're grand when everything works.

They're a disaster when it doesn't - booked seats not appearing on system, no enforcement of seat booking, catering services that are completely random. Sometimes the Wi-Fi works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the sockets are tripped out and sometimes they aren't.

Inconsistent and unreliable in my experience and it seems that policy is carrying over to the public health realm now.

The last thing I would have expected from them is a sensible, logical seating policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Add to that the fear people will have of being told the train is full before they even get a change to get on it and you have the mother of all scrambles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Add to that the fear people will have of being told the train is full before they even get a change to get on it and you have the mother of all scrambles!!!
    Between this and Bus Eireann, I'm terrified for when colleges go back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Lundstram wrote: »
    If no vaccine is found within 2/3 years, Sweden's approach will look very clever indeed. The world economy can't continue like this forever and to save it lives will be lost in the form of herd immunity.

Like you said, zero point judging Sweden right now. They might well have the last laugh.

It is already known, that they will not achieve herd immunity in this way because antibodies are in blood only for few months, not for 2-3 years

JoChervil wrote: »
    It is already known, that they will not achieve herd immunity in this way because antibodies are in blood only for few months, not for 2-3 years

This is not already known

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Absolutely correct, we don't and couldn't know that immunity only lasts a few months at this early stage.

A study of SARS immunity showed that immunity lasted for 2 to 3 years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2851497/

There is also a suggestion that t cell immunity could last much longer.

Some day, people might do some research before posting

So we've read different articles then...

Absolutely correct, we don't and couldn't know that immunity only last a few months at this early stage.

A study of SARS immunity showed that immunity lasted for 2 to 3 years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2851497/

There is also a suggestion that t cell immunity could last much longer.

Some day, people might do some research before posting

And realise that there’s a lot more to immunity than just antibodies :confused:

So we've read different articles then...

T-cells are believed to be essential in immunity for COVID, explaining why lots have no antibodies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

At what stage is the cure worse then the disease tho ?
    How many people will be homeless, starving, serious mental health issues, suicide rates will skyrocket...

Sweden seem to have had the right idea, overall they are on a gradual decrease, and their death rate is way way less then the likes of Spain and Italy that had very strict lockdowns.

It's time to learn to live with this and get on with our lives.
    No vaccine is coming, no cure is coming, it's here and that's it.

People loving the idea of living in fear in our basements for decades - you really think this is sustainable ?

How do you know there's no vaccine or cure coming? Can you tell me the lotto numbers next please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's not believed now.

Seems T Cell response is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

And realise that there’s a lot more to immunity than just antibodies :confused:

Some lads here seem to be half giddy to shout that immunity from covid fades after a few months. Ignoring the t cells completely to get the little endorphin rush they get from the misery of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,620 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are people really debating against masks?
    Lads, seriously....
    I’m highly asthmatic and wear a mask every day with no issue.

I think the government and Covid Ireland team's view on masks has been very misleading, masks should have been made mandatory from the start, yes some masks are uncomfortable and not easy for glasses wearers but we should try our best to comply and wear

Anyone recommend a good mask for asthmatic please?

Zero deaths today.

10 additional cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Zero deaths today.

10 additional cases

Great numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Zero deaths today.

10 additional cases

Worth nothing also the previous Sundays before weekend lag is mentioned. We'll only know if there is any lag once testing figures are released

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1284887012500213762?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think the government and Covid Ireland team's view on masks has been very misleading, masks should have been made mandatory from the start, yes some masks are uncomfortable and not easy for glasses wearers but we should try our best to comply and wear

I have asthma and have been wearing a cloth mask as I feel like I can breathe a lot better with one on. They don’t get as hot and don’t make me get as stuffed up. Also, for glasses, push the mask up closer to your eyes and wear the glasses over the mask. It directs your breath away from the glass and helps it not to fog up as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Zero deaths today.

10 additional cases

By my count 143 cases the last 7 days which works out as 20 cases a day. 2 less deaths than last week also.

T-cells are believed to be essential in immunity for COVID, explaining why lots have no antibodies.

T-cells are essential in immunity against any other infections and you can increase amount of it in your body in a different way, instead of contracting Covid 19 and recovering from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Sunday’s figures always come with a cautionary note but cases are good.

Regarding the vaccine could it be the case as with the Flu or Pneumonia vaccine you need to get a booster every year or few years rather than just one shot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Zero deaths today.

10 additional cases

Along with an unhealthy dose of second wave is just waiting reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I’m asthmatic and I’ve ordered the Cambridge and Aeropec masks; I can’t recommend them yet as haven’t received them but I’m hoping they are comfortable to wear

County data:
    Cork +2
    Donegal +1
    Dublin +12
    Galway +2
    Kildare +3
    Mayo +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

County data:
    Cork +2
    Donegal +1
    Dublin +12
    Galway +2
    Kildare +3
    Mayo +1

Big problem in Dublin

Analysis of cases as of midnight Friday 17th July - 25,751 cases (+21)

Healthcare Workers +5
    Clusters +36
    Cases associated with clusters +54

Age Range Affected
    0-4 No Change
    5-14 No Change
    15-24 +5
    25-34 +5
    35-44 +1
    45-54 +3
    55-64 +3
    65-74 +3
    75-84 No Change
    85+ +1

Cases by County
    Cork +2
    Donegal +1
    Dublin +12
    Galway +2
    Kildare +3
    Mayo +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

9,154 daily tests completed, which seems to be on a par with recent days, so no lag effect, it would appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

9,154 daily tests completed, which seems to be on a par with recent days, so no lag effect, it would appear.

They don't update this on Sunday, so that's still Friday's number. Tomorrow we'll get the number of tests completed over the 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's good

10 positive out of that lot is very small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ah lads we're nearly four months down the road since this strted and people still talking about a "Sunday effect".

Labs, testing and reporting takes place seven days a week there is no lag just because it's the weekend.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Ah lads we're nearly four months down the road since this strted and people still talking about a "Sunday effect".

Labs, testing and reporting takes place seven days a week there is no lag just because it's the weekend.
    Friday, Saturday and Sunday are actually the busiest testing days based on the data available. Mid week seems to be the quietest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement