Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

So if your under 65 you roughly have the same chance of being killed in a road accident in ireland as you do by covid. By the end of year the chances of being killed in a road accident will probably be much higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

niallo27 wrote: »
    So if your under 65 you roughly have the same chance of being killed in a road accident in ireland as you do by covid. By the end of year the chances of being killed in a road accident will probably be much higher.

Not sure about RTA death rates per year but this isn't the way the virus works. As others have said, there's only been this amount of deaths because of the severe restrictions put in place. Otherwise there would have been significantly more.

I agree there is sensationalism at every turn in the media. The reality, for me, is somewhere in between. Be vigilant, wash your hand, follow the advice. Think about the repercussions for others. I'm relatively young, fit and healthy but it doesn't mean I should go around wrecklessly doing what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Not sure about RTA death rates per year but this isn't the way the virus works. As others have said, there's only been this amount of deaths because of the severe restrictions put in place. Otherwise there would have been significantly more.

I agree there is sensationalism at every turn in the media. The reality, for me, is somewhere in between. Be vigilant, wash your hand, follow the advice. Think about the repercussions for others. I'm relatively young, fit and healthy but it doesn't mean I should go around wrecklessly doing what I want.

No no no. You're doing this wrong. Pick a side and bunker down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

HSE report out for the evening, hospitals up 3 to 12, with Galway Sligo and Portlaoise seeing admissions. ICU up 1 to 8 patients, with those on ventilators going from 3 to 5. No ICU deaths in 24hrs.

3 new cases confirmed in hospitals, two in portlaoise and one in Galway.

Looks like this report shows that icu and general numbers are separate and one isn’t a subset of the other, as portlaoise had 2 confirmed cases, and they one in general and one in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

HSE report out for the evening, hospitals up 3 to 12, with Galway Sligo and Portlaoise seeing admissions. ICU up 1 to 8 patients, with those on ventilators going from 3 to 5. No ICU deaths in 24hrs.

Looks like this report shows that icu and general numbers are separate and one isn’t a subset of the other, as portlaoise had 2 confirmed cases, and they one in general and one in ICU.

Thats a low increase.

• Advertisement

Nobody is saying open everything up and go back to normal but I'm sure with mask wearing and lighter restrictions and open phase 4, I am still sure the deaths to under 65s would be quiet low, much lower than road fatalities or other serious illness.

D.Q wrote: »
    No no no. You're doing this wrong. Pick a side and bunker down.

Its not about picking a side, its about being careful but not let it take over your life. Its not as terrifing as the media portray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Nobody is saying open everything up and go back to normal but I'm sure with mask wearing and lighter restrictions and open phase 4, I am still sure the deaths to under 65s would be quiet low, much lower than road fatalities or other serious illness.

I agree. Something we are going to have to live with as the gov have no interest in trying to achieve a COVID free Ireland. Maybe is not plausible.

We need to find the perfect balance of restrictions. I'm sure we will fall into it in the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Renjit wrote: »
    Thats a low increase.

Im sure some of our media will see it as a 33% increase in hospitalisations :)

But honestly, it fell very quickly from big numbers down to where we are now and both general beds and ICU have been floating around the 10 mark, with ICU a little lower than acute beds. There isn’t usually an reduction over the weekends so will keep an eye over the coming week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

But honestly, it fell very quickly from big numbers down to where we are now and both general beds and ICU have been floating around the 10 mark, with ICU a little lower than acute beds. There isn’t usually an reduction over the weekends so will keep an eye over the coming week

Can imagine the RTE headlines tomorrow
    ICU beds nearing capacity as patients in ICU increase by 33%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Just out of interest, what’s our total ICU capacity now with the expanded reach into private hospitals?

Just out of interest, what’s our total ICU capacity now with the expanded reach into private hospitals?

Just over 400 but have the private hospitals not taken them back now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

charlie14 wrote: »
    Japan closed their karaoke bars when the first infections appeared.
    The official reason was that loud voices spread the virus much like coughing.
    But as I said before, the real reason could just be that the person making the decision was a music lover.

I dunno.in NZ random bar, karaoke, a man sang 'sitting at the dock of the bay' and my god he made me hear it anew.

Sometimes its amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fritzelly wrote: »
    "ICU beds nearing capacity as patients in ICU increase by 33%"

Is it odd I read this in the voice of George Lee?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Low compared to the number of elderly people who are dying, but COVID is now a major cause of death in the under 65 group too in countries with widespread transmission.

Approximately 29,000 people in the USA under 65 have died of COVID over the last 4 months.
    https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927196

In a typical year 745,000 people under 65 die in the US

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/older-american-health.htm

In the developing world both the total number of and ratio of deaths under 65 compared to the western world are also far higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Low compared to the number of elderly people who are dying, but COVID is now a major cause of death in the under 65 group too in countries with widespread transmission.

Approximately 29,000 people in the USA under 65 have died of COVID over the last 4 months.

38,000 people die in rta in America a year, everything is relative

Is it odd I read this in the voice of George Lee?

Very normal! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Glenomra wrote: »
    Virus virtually gone throughout Europe.

You must be a time-traveller, can you tell us when Covid goes away globally?

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/israeli-doctor-reinfected-with-coronavirus-3-months-after-recovering-635550

An Israeli Doctor experienced symptoms in April and tested positive, then recovered and tested negative in both May and June. They now have tested positive again in July after close contact with covid patients.The hospital reports two other cases of patients recovering and testing negative and then coming back to the hospital with symptoms and testing positive.

Not worth getting too excited about yet, but something to keep an eye on, it may suggest that immunity only lasts a couple of months for certain individuals.

Possible that when they originally got infected, that amount of virus they contracted was just enough to illicit a small antibody response but not enough for T-Cells to effectively illicit an appropriate antibody response second time round?

In the developing world both the total number of and ratio of deaths under 65 compared to the western world are also far higher.

Any better source, its from March and in the first line they apologise for the last misleading headline.

• Advertisement

38,000 people die in rta in America a year, everything is relative

Not a very insightful comment really...
    Just 30 people under 65 died of lightning shocks last year, everything is relative..

A poster implied that the risk of death for under 65 is very low. While it is low compared to elderly, it is not that low, as I said, COVID is now a major cause of death of under 65's in USA, and all countries with widespread transmission. The fact more die in traffic accidents doesn't mean much really, traffic accidents are a major cause of death worldwide. 1 in 25 deaths worldwide every year are because of car crashes, pretty astonishing.

At what stage is the cure worse then the disease tho ?
    How many people will be homeless, starving, serious mental health issues, suicide rates will skyrocket...

Sweden seem to have had the right idea, overall they are on a gradual decrease, and their death rate is way way less then the likes of Spain and Italy that had very strict lockdowns.

It's time to learn to live with this and get on with our lives.
    No vaccine is coming, no cure is coming, it's here and that's it.

People loving the idea of living in fear in our basements for decades - you really think this is sustainable ?

Well we don't have basements in the main, but for people who don't understand or chose the 'Ignorance is bliss' approach to the virus, perhaps they could linger in their basements for an extra while longer maybe?

Are people really debating against masks?
    Lads, seriously....
    I’m highly asthmatic and wear a mask every day with no issue.

We need a new public health communication slogan ' Wear masks, slow the spread, save lives'.

Any better source, its from March and in the first line they apologise for the last misleading headline.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/27/860508864/we-all-feel-at-risk-100-000-people-dead-from-covid-19-in-the-u-s

This article from May 27th, also claims the proportion of deaths under 65 in the USA is still 20%.

CDC data on deaths by age group as of JUne 15th states that 19.2% of all American COVID deaths have been aged 64 or under.
    https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/coronavirus-covid-deaths-us-age-race-14863

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Not a very insightful comment really...
    Just 30 people under 65 died of lightning shocks last year, everything is relative..

A poster implied that the risk of death for under 65 is very low. While it is low compared to elderly, it is not that low, as I said, COVID is now a major cause of death of under 65's in USA, and all countries with widespread transmission. The fact more die in traffic accidents doesn't mean much really, traffic accidents are a major cause of death worldwide.

If there was as much effort going into stopping traffic accidents as covid there would not be many deaths, if any one of the treatments are half as good as they are indicating the death rate from COVID-19 will be dropping rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnny7136

I'm a massive sceptic of all this. I've just read a little here and people are quoting numbers and death rates from other countries, how can any of the numbers be believed, people are dying with covid, not of covid.
    I've read lots now for months on Twitter etc

My take on Florida / Texas.. There are testing huge amount of people that aren't sick. People are been tested up to 4 times hoping for a nagative result to be allowed back to work.

I can't get over how gullable we all seem, out health service has never been run to a high standard, money wasted / bad decisions etc Yet now we trust everything they say.

George Lee on Rte is an expert on science and scaremongering now. He was always an economics man, crazy to listen to a word of that.

We didn't open the pubs this week because an estimated R number is too high. I don't believe that number can be produced with accuracy without testing the whole population. Iceland may have near the correct figure.

How accurate is the testing, god knows, I read today something like 170 brands of test kits have been recalled.

We're now all told to wear masks without any set standard of mask. Fair enough no inconvenience to majority of us wearing a mask for short periods, wearing a mask for 8 hours a day in work, no thanks.

Were told weeks ago dubs not welcome in Wexford etc now we've moved onto Americans, their the new enemy. People should be treated the same from anywhere, social distancing rules the same, if that even works, one meter / two metres, who knows.

We maybe have a bad flu. Likely top 10 worst flus in past 25 years.
    The response to this is out of control, I was scared at first when we didn't know anything, the numbers just aren't there... But because we did so well blah blah blah.
    I don't think so, people caught the flu at the same rate they would have caught any year.
    People die, that's life. So many people die of pneumonia cold and flu every year, we don't shut the country

For the people that we say there is no hope of a vaccine, you are just as ridiculous as those who say that a vaccine will arrive and eradicate Covid....

If there was as much effort going into stopping traffic accidents as covid there would not be many deaths, if any one of the treatments are half as good as they are indicating the death rate from COVID-19 will be dropping rapidly.

And if there was as little effort going into stopping COVID deaths as there were for traffic deaths then how many would there be? Doesn't that go against your argument..

Johnny7136 wrote: »
    I'm a massive sceptic of all this. I've just read a little here and people are quoting numbers and death rates from other countries, how can any of the numbers be believed, people are dying with covid, not of covid.

My take on Florida / Texas.. There are testing huge amount of people that aren't sick. People are been tested up to 4 times hoping for a nagative result to be allowed back to work.

I can't get over how gullable we all seem, out health service has never been run to a high standard, money wasted / bad decisions etc Yet now we trust everything they say.

George Lee on Rte is an expert on science and scaremongering now. He was always an economics man, crazy to listen to a word of that.

We didn't open the pubs this week because an estimated R number is too high. I don't believe that number can be produced with accuracy without testing the whole population. Iceland may have near the correct figure.

How accurate is the testing, god knows, I read today something like 170 brands of test kits have been recalled.

We're now all told to wear masks without any set standard of mask. Fair enough no inconvenience to majority of us wearing a mask for short periods, wearing a mask for 8 hours a day in work, no thanks.

Were told weeks ago dubs not welcome in Wexford etc now we've moved onto Americans, their the new enemy. People should be treated the same from anywhere, social distancing rules the same, if that even works, one meter / two metres, who knows.

The response to this is out of control, I was scared at first when we didn't know anything, the numbers just aren't there... But because we did so well blah blah blah.
    I don't think so, people caught the flu at the same rate they would have caught any year.
    People die, that's life. So many people die of pneumonia cold and flu every year, we don't shut the country

Pity you spent all the time reading twitter which is full of plenty of poor quality opinions of little substance. Any scientific publications that might back up your scepticism? And sceptical of what exactly? Who benefits from sensationalising the dangers of this virus? And if it is such a lucractive venture to apparently make some kind of jumped up common flu look far more dangerous than it is then why havn't 'they' done this before? How are so many international bodies and influential people in completely different fields government,law,medical,scientific,education etc coordinating so seamlessly to dupe the collective global public into this campaign of fear? Why doesn't this happen all the time?
    1300 scientists recently came to a consensus that it is about 6.5x more dangerous than flu. I don't see what information you could have at your disposable that would in any way go to refute that.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/coronavirus-death-rate.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Just over 400 but have the private hospitals not taken them back now?

They’re available flexibility at short notice, in the event of a national emergency, I’ve heard.

Pity you spent all the time reading twitter which is full of plenty of poor quality opinions of little substance. Any scientific publications that might back up your scepticism?
    Twitter just links me to the news agencies and reports, it's not that I'm going by any one persons opinion.
    Everyone's opinions are different and changing like the weather, were having resurrections and all with this pandemic. Deaths are been denotified as far as I know.
    We're taking away people's jobs and livelihoods on inaccurate data

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Can imagine the RTE headlines tomorrow
    ICU beds nearing capacity as patients in ICU increase by 33%

And Tomas Ryan no doubt will be on tonight show tomorrow to tell us all that the second wave is inevitable.

Twitter just links me to the news agencies and reports, it's not that I'm going by any one persons opinion.
    Everyone's opinions are different and changing like the weather, were having resurrections and all with this pandemic. Deaths are been denotified as far as I know.
    We're taking away people's jobs and livelihoods on inaccurate data

Surely denotifications are good thing going by your criticisms mentioned moments ago. If a presumed death is not found to have been covid related it's denotified, as in the death was caused by something with symptoms similar to covid but it later tested negative. How's that for accuracy and transparency. Shouldn't you be celebrating this revelation given your prior apprehensions surrounding this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Fairly stable numbers. Never much of a change over the weekends, doesn't seem to be any discharges taking place during the weekends.

Surely denotifications are good thing going by your criticisms mentioned moments ago. If a presumed death is not found to have been covid related it's denotified, as in the death was caused by something with symptoms similar to covid but it later tested negative. How's that for accuracy and transparency. Shouldn't you be celebrating this revelation given your prior apprehensions surrounding this

I would rather they confirm covid as the cause before announcing the death from covid
    We have had quite a number of denotifications

As much as well for the case numbers - do they not have some kind of system in place to check this?
    When they announce 30 new cases and then the next day you could have 5 denotifications - degrading the trust in the system to be at all accurate

• Advertisement

Pity you spent all the time reading twitter which is full of plenty of poor quality opinions of little substance. Any scientific publications that might back up your scepticism? And sceptical of what exactly? Who benefits from sensationalising the dangers of this virus? And if it is such a lucractive venture to apparently make some kind of jumped up common flu look far more dangerous than it is then why havn't 'they' done this before? How are so many international bodies and influential people in completely different fields government,law,medical,scientific,education etc coordinating so seamlessly to dupe the collective global public into this campaign of fear? Why doesn't this happen all the time?
    1300 scientists recently came to a consensus that it is about 6.5x more dangerous than flu. I don't see what information you could have at your disposable that would in any way go to refute that.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/coronavirus-death-rate.html

The first sentence in your link says it has infected 11 million people killing 525 thousand.
    We don't know this for fact because the testing isn't accurate and so many deaths are been recorded incorrectly, in New York the hospitals were been paid extra for covid deaths so more people were recorded as covid. That kind of carry on means we can't trust any numbers.
    Reports of people never been tested and been told their positive, we just can't be sure of the numbers.
    I think the UK aren't releasing death numbers at the moment because they recorded anyone that ever had covid that died months later still went down as covid.
    In America there's a massive blame game towards trump, it's trump's fault everyone is dying. He is obviously a bit thick but he's not the cause of all the deaths

The first sentence in your link says it has infected 11 million people killing 525 thousand.
    We don't know this for fact because the testing isn't accurate and so many deaths are been recorded incorrectly, in New York the hospitals were been paid extra for covid deaths so more people were recorded as covid. That kind of carry on means we can't trust any numbers.
    Reports of people never been tested and been told their positive, we just can't be sure of the numbers.
    I think the UK aren't releasing death numbers at the moment because they recorded anyone that ever had covid that died months later still went down as covid.
    In America there's a massive blame game towards trump, it's trump's fault everyone is dying. He is obviously a bit thick but he's not the cause of all the deaths

So what has caused the massive increase in excess deaths in countless countries worldwide then hmm?
    And before you predictably try to claim lockdowns caused it, why didn't lockdowns cause excess large excess in for example much of Scandinavia which has small covid outbreaks but similarly harsh extended lockdowns as France, Italy, Spain, UK which cumulatively reported hundreds of thousands of excess deaths above seasonal average?
    The unfortunate answer is there is no other explanation other than that COVID has killed many people and the vast majorirty of those within the large number of excess deaths worldwide. COVD testing and death reporting can indeed be inaccurate, but excess deaths don't lie, and I am looking foward to hearing your theory on how the dishonest or incompetent governments of Europe and the world have manipulated excess deathd figures to trick us into thinking covid is a danger.

Yes but when they change the deaths from something like 1700 to 1200 which I'm almost certain they did a month ago, thats just unacceptable. Will they change them again in six months time to 600.
    It becomes a farce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Jesus.... where to start???
    Have you a source that Florida and Texas are reporting positive samples and not positive cases (people), 4 times seems high, In Ireland it's not 400%, it's 12%, you can check that figures for Ireland here: https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

Our health service is run to a very high standard. The issues we have is value for money and getting into the system. To suggest the service one receives is subpar is an insult.

The pubs didn't open based on the rolling 7/14 day figures and the estimated R0, which the CMO and modelling panel have admitted with low numbers, the R0 is not accurate/hard to calculate with a high degree of certainty. Mainly the media ran with the R0 figure.

Yes but when they change the deaths from something like 1700 to 1200 which I'm almost certain they did a month ago, thats just unacceptable. Will they change them again in six months time to 600.
    It becomes a farce

Right maybe wait and see if that actually happens before getting worked over this issue which likely will not become reality. They didn't change the deaths to 1200 btw, the excess deaths were 1200, rather than the confirmed 1700. That is not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,323 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It becomes a farce

They didn't change anything. The figure of 1200 is an estimated one based on excess deaths in 2020, but 1700 remains the official figure.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Jesus.... where to start???
    Have you a source that Florida and Texas are reporting positive samples and not positive cases (people), 4 times seems high, In Ireland it's not 400%, it's 12%, you can check that figures for Ireland here: https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

Our health service is run to a very high standard. The issues we have is value for money and getting into the system. To suggest the service one receives is subpar is an insult.

The pubs didn't open based on the rolling 7/14 day figures and the estimated R0, which the CMO and modelling panel have admitted with low numbers, the R0 is not accurate/hard to calculate with a high degree of certainty. Mainly the media ran with the R0 figure.

No he does not have a source, of course he doesn't. He only seems to deal in rumour and hearsay.

If they are apparently testing many people who aren't sick in Florida and testing them 4 times and they all come back negative (like what..? I dont even know what his point is supposed to be), anyway, how could this possibly be the case when almost 1 in 5 tests in Florida are currently positive for COVID.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/17/892427161/what-accounts-for-high-coronavirus-positivity-rates-among-florida-kids

The hospitals were paid by the US Government to treat all Covid patients.
    They were afraid people would not seek medical help if there was a cost to them if they didn't have healthcare.
    Now, give me a non twitter/facebook source that states that NY hospitals murdered people and then said they had covid to get money from the government.
    Or the source that they just faked test results stating someone died and was later positive for covid.

Got to sleep. Il come back with some facts and figures tomorrow.
    I think the numbers are very debatable, lots of people are behaving like sheep and allowing our country to be driven into the ground.
    Everyone is Terrified of what may not be the scary world ending virus the media are leading us to believe.
    Turn off your TV may well be the cure

I think the numbers are very debatable, lots of people are behaving like sheep and allowing our country to be driven into the ground.
    Everyone is Terrified of what may not be the scary world ending virus the media are leading us to believe.

Probably the last we'll see of you.
    But if not, remember the facts and figures can't be from a random twitter/facebook post, ok?

Who is causing the massive excess deaths across Europe Johnny? The government? Are they murdering lots of people during the time coinciding with the outbreak of this mild flu pandemic to make COVID look deadly?Or have the media highjacked national statistics databases?? :confused: Whats your theory, I want to know!! I really feel you are on to something, help us terrified sheep see the way.

I look forward to this whirlwind of facts in the morning

Who is causing the massive excess deaths across Europe Johnny? The government? Are they murdering lots of people during the time coinciding with the outbreak of this mild flu pandemic to make COVID look deadly?Or have the media highjacked national statistics databases?? :confused: Whats your theory, I want to know!! I really feel you are on to something, help us terrified sheep see the way.

I look forward to this whirlwind of facts in the morning
    He should have posted the truth/facts/evidence about this worldwide government conspiracy before going to bed. Ya know, cause it's kinda important. Also ya don't wanna be murdered by the government and put down as a covid death before you expose them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Polar101

We maybe have a bad flu.

You spent months reading stuff about Covid-19 on Twitter, and your conclusion is "it's a flu"? You might have wasted your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

It becomes a farce

Sigh. Thats 1200 excess ( unexpected,above average) deaths on top.of the 500 expected. In TWO MONTHS What did those 1200 people die of? Conspiracytheoryitis? The flu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

It’s 12 people including ICU in hospital. They’re not a separate number.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement