Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Johnny7136 wrote: »

I think the world made a mistake locking down, no way would it happen again based on the figures we now know. Quarantine the sick not the healthy.
    It's very hard for the world leaders to put their hands up and say we got it wrong. They could even be sued for closing businesses, loss of jobs

Surely lockdown is the reason we have the excess death figures we have, and not something much higher?

Lockdown was to ensure that unprepared health systems were not overwhelmed, not to eradicate the virus.

Although the IFR of 0.65% is much greater than the flu, it was the fact that healthcare systems couldn't sustain a prolonged response to Covid-19.

Now that the virus is not circulating so easily undetected, and countries have systems in place to track it, better hospital treatments and a greater public awareness things begin to open up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    I dunno.in NZ random bar, karaoke, a man sang 'sitting at the dock of the bay' and my god he made me hear it anew.

Sometimes its amazing.

I suppose it is possible to find a turd that when polished becomes a gold nugget, but for me the amount of **** you would have to go through just would not be worth it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Johnny7136 wrote: »
    Some say you need to work out excess deaths over a full year, some people in homes were on oxygen and covid likely sped up their death that would have occurred later in the year anyway.
    We now have a excess deaths in a minus, so has the UK.
    We won't hear George Lee report that.

I think the world made a mistake locking down, no way would it happen again based on the figures we now know. Quarantine the sick not the healthy.
    It's very hard for the world leaders to put their hands up and say we got it wrong. They could even be sued for closing businesses, loss of jobs

Why a year? Why is this arbitrary period any more significant than another, why don't we wait 3 years? Or ten ?

Well you havnt been listening to the news much have you. Plenty of regions of the world appear more than prepared to go into second lockdowns, Melbourne for example..
    Don't even know what you're trying to get at about the minus excess deaths in the U.K but it's just another blatant lie among a long list. You won't hear George lee reporting it as it's not true . Excess deaths in the U.K. Are tens of thousands above normal , it is the highest excess deaths the country has experienced since ww2 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

thelad95 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-construction-site-closes-after-workers-test-positive-for-coronavirus-1.4308678?mode=amp

Construction sites could become the new meat factory. Zero social distancing between workers (often not the most intelligent of people).

Londis near me, workers all in getting lunch every day on top of each other, then sit outside eating together. Understandable that if one gets it, it'll spread like wildfire.

I passed one of the big building sites near Kent Station in Cork a few days ago at lunchtime, dozens of worker sitting literally shoulder to shoulder on the footpath eating their lunches. Safety signs everywhere at the site entrances but out on the street zero distancing, I wonder how much this is being heeded inside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Whealens bar in limerick stuck to his word and opened up today. Looks great and safer than alot of restaurants I've been to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-construction-site-closes-after-workers-test-positive-for-coronavirus-1.4308678?mode=amp

Construction sites could become the new meat factory. Zero social distancing between workers (often not the most intelligent of people).
    Nothing to do with intelligence.

Think of the age and sex profile. Huge majority on ground are men under 30. Women tend to be in more educated roles, men over 30 tend be more management, or self-employed, etc.

By their nature young men are less risk-averse, more likely to go to a big house party over the weekend, before bringing the virus onsite. And less likely to call in sick if they feel ill because they'll lose weeks of work and/or wages.

These kinds of workplaces should add a new caveat to coming onsite - no hat, no boots, no test = no job.

Test the lads as they come onsite every week. Test everyone, no exceptions. Refuse a test, you can go home. It won't stop outbreaks, but it will catch them earlier and might encourage lads to stay home with a cough when they would have come in before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

US2 wrote: »
    Whealens bar in limerick stuck to his word and opened up today. Looks great and safer than alot of restaurants I've been to.

Fair play to him

Id say he will be getting a visit from the guards though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Fair play to him

Id say he will be getting a visit from the guards though

I heard he's taking bacon bites out of the packet and putting them on a plate.
    9 euro a pop.

There is definitely a smell of bacon in the place but not for the reason you'd think.
    Legally covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

seamus wrote: »
    Nothing to do with intelligence.

Think of the age and sex profile. Huge majority on ground are men under 30. Women tend to be in more educated roles, men over 30 tend be more management, or self-employed, etc.

By their nature young men are less risk-averse, more likely to go to a big house party over the weekend, before bringing the virus onsite. And less likely to call in sick if they feel ill because they'll lose weeks of work and/or wages.

These kinds of workplaces should add a new caveat to coming onsite - no hat, no boots, no test = no job.

Test the lads as they come onsite every week. Test everyone, no exceptions. Refuse a test, you can go home. It won't stop outbreaks, but it will catch them earlier and might encourage lads to stay home with a cough when they would have come in before.

The fact that they have closed is a good thing and shows the system works. If cases start to appear, they take a step back, get people tested and then move on when safe to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

I heard he's taking bacon bites out of the packet and putting them on a plate.
    9 euro a pop.

There is definitely a smell of bacon in the place but not for the reason you'd think.
    Legally covered.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-pub-closes-hours-after-22384839

Legally covered indeed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The food thing was a sop to some pubs that could act as restaurants for the few weeks before everyone else opened up. Now that they have stopped pubs in general opening up for a longer period, it seems unfair that serving up a curry allows the others to stay open. It's either safe or not safe to sit in a bar, and this idea that having the plate of food is keeping us all acting in a safer manner is nonsense!

If a bar can demonstrate that it has complete capacity to properly impose social distancing it should be allowed in same way as pubs with food imo. I know many will disagree. And agree...

The virus changes thanks to €9 food being served lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

this idea that having the plate of food is keeping us all acting in a safer manner is nonsense!
    Of course it's not as simple as a plate of food, it's having people seated, it's having time limits on ordering, and not having the random intoxicated mixing that you get in a normal pub.

In hindsight there would perhaps have been less complaining if the government simply told all pubs to stay closed, but that was hardly fair on the pubs which could operate as restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Not having a go at anyone at all but the pub thing has been done to death already in this thread and there are two designated threads for pubs, can we leave it out of here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

The virus changes thanks to €9 food being served lol

Congratulations! You're the 200th person on this thread to make that "joke"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Londis near me, workers all in getting lunch every day on top of each other, then sit outside eating together. Understandable that if one gets it, it'll spread like wildfire.

Congratulations! You're the 200th person on this thread to make that "joke"!

Do I get a prize? 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Do I get a prize? 😀

Yes a Guinness and a 'hang' sandwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Well our antibody test are only in urban areas, of course that is one way in which spread will be overestimated, probably quite significantly. I don't know why it is not just a random countrywide testing, like as was performed in Spain and most other countries, it makes a lot more sense. If Spain had just done antibody testing in the capital and another large city it would falsely show that over 10% of Spanish have antibodies, when in reality it's around 5% as when communities in rural and coastal areas included infection there was shown to only be around 1-2%.
    The plan was to select a high incidence location and I am assuming Sligo is a low incidence one. There was talk they do more at a later date. Spain is not a good comparison as it got to most locations in a very pronounced way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yes a Guinness and a 'hang' sandwich.

Excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Lads those Oxford results are seriously impressive. We’ll deffo be on track by end of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

We won't hear the end of it from the UK but feck it small price to pay for a successful vaccine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

this idea that having the plate of food is keeping us all acting in a safer manner is nonsense!
    on average I bet it does. Laws stating a food requirement have been in place for over 50 years, nothing new.

I was asking others what law they would have put in place to differentiate between a pub and a restaurant? I think the meal thing does it well.

Restaurants are allowed open in areas where a pub would have no hope of getting permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,620 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lads those Oxford results are seriously impressive. We’ll deffo be on track by end of year.

It looks promising. But I wouldn't be getting to carried away yet.

The results so far are based off a 1000 people.

They were selected because they are 1000 very healthy people.

The people who need it the most don't normally have the same immunity response as fit and healthy people.
    There were no dangerous side-effects from taking the vaccine, however, 70% of people on the trial developed either fever or headache.

TBF, that's a high portion of people developing any sort of side effect for a vaccine.

All though I imagine mild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Boggles wrote: »

The people who need it the most don't normally have the same immunity response as fit and healthy people.

TBF, that's a high portion of people developing any sort of side effect for a vaccine.

A fever and headache is likely a good sign as it shows an immune response, but with limited consequences. I can't find it now, but there was a report about one of their trials being halted after no candidates had any side effects, which made them realise the batch they used was incorrectly manufactured and not as potent as required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Did you even read the thing?

A fever and headache is likely a good sign as it shows an immune response, but with limited consequences. I can't find it now, but there was a report about one of their trials being halted after no candidates had any side effects, which made them realise the batch they used was incorrectly manufactured and not as potent as required.

I know it is not the same thing, but when consider around 2% of people develop side effects from the flu vaccine, 70% is quite high.

But you could be right, maybe the higher the better.

The article literally states the side effects disappeared when paracetemol was used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Great news, sounds like a lot of companies are hitting phase 3 successfully.

The article literally states the side effects disappeared when paracetemol was used

Ah we don't let that get in the way of a good negative post.

No it didn't, the article literally stated
    There were no dangerous side-effects from taking the vaccine, however, 70% of people on the trial developed either fever or headache.

The researchers say this could be managed with paracetamol.

Which is standard treatment for symptoms.

The types of symptoms wasn't my point, it was the level of people in the study that experienced them.

It also literally stated.
    Prof Sarah Gilbert, form the University of Oxford, UK, says: "There is still much work to be done before we can confirm if our vaccine will help manage the COVID-19 pandemic, but these early results hold promise."

• Advertisement

No it didn't, the article literally stated

Which is standard treatment for symptoms.

The types of symptoms wasn't my point, it was the level of people in the study that experienced them.

Maybe don't look at a BBC article and look at the published paper.

"headaches were reported in the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 group by 331 (68%) participants without paracetamol and 34 (61%) with paracetamol and in
    the MenACWY group by 195 (41%) participants without paracetamol and 21 (37%) participants with paracetamol."

Here is the tricky part = 331+34+195+21 = 581

581 is around 50% which is <70% and about the same amount for the flu jab, MMR etc and can be managed with OTC pain killer.

It’s grand the random Boards poster who disagrees with everyone stated it’s not all good news despite every major news organisation claiming it is

LATEST TESTING DATA
    48hr period

Tests conducted last 48hrs: 17,091
    Tests conducted last 7 days: 50,860
    Positive tests last 48hrs: 44
    Positivity rate last 7 days: 0.3%

It’s grand the random Boards poster who disagrees with everyone stated it’s not all good news despite every major news organisation claiming it is

I was echoing you know the actual lady who is helping developing the vaccine.
    There is still much work to be done before we can confirm if our vaccine will help manage the COVID-19 pandemic, but these early results hold promise.

But of course you been the resident expert on absolutely everything Covid related on here would know more than her.

44 not looking good

• Advertisement

44 not looking good

2 days worth.

Are you a doctor or a scientist. Great to have someone knowledgeable about to keep us all right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

44 not looking good

That's over 48 hours, so 24 each day?

Hope this post doesn't surface the next time you need a job done on your house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

LIVE: World Health Organization holds a coronavirus briefing

44 not looking good

That was my first reaction but thankfully 48hr period

Eod100 wrote: »
    We won't hear the end of it from the UK but feck it small price to pay for a successful vaccine :)

Twas brexit what done it!

0.26% positive rate in that 48 hours

Are you a doctor or a scientist. Great to have someone knowledgeable about to keep us all right.

No. As far as I know their is only one scientist that contributes on here and it certainly isn't me. :)

But I do listen to scientists and doctors, including the people developing the vaccine, none of them have stated that X vaccine will be definitely approved.

It's why countries like the UK are hedging their bets.
    The British government said in a statement Monday that it had secured access to a vaccine candidate being developed by a Pfizer and BioNTech, in addition to another experimental vaccine researched by Valneva.

Britain had previously signed a deal with AstraZeneca to provide 100 million doses of the coronavirus vaccine being tested by Oxford University, which is expected to announce further results later Monday.

But of course if you point that out you are doom mongering lunatic according to a few individuals on here.

Side effects of a vaccine is a good thing as long as they are minor. The purpose of a vaccine are to trigger immune response such as fever.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement