Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

0.26% positive rate in that 48 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Are you a doctor or a scientist. Great to have someone knowledgeable about to keep us all right.

No. As far as I know their is only one scientist that contributes on here and it certainly isn't me. :)

But I do listen to scientists and doctors, including the people developing the vaccine, none of them have stated that X vaccine will be definitely approved.

It's why countries like the UK are hedging their bets.
    The British government said in a statement Monday that it had secured access to a vaccine candidate being developed by a Pfizer and BioNTech, in addition to another experimental vaccine researched by Valneva.

Britain had previously signed a deal with AstraZeneca to provide 100 million doses of the coronavirus vaccine being tested by Oxford University, which is expected to announce further results later Monday.

But of course if you point that out you are doom mongering lunatic according to a few individuals on here.

Boggles wrote: »
    It looks promising. But I wouldn't be getting to carried away yet.

The results so far are based off a 1000 people.

They were selected because they are 1000 very healthy people.

The people who need it the most don't normally have the same immunity response as fit and healthy people.

TBF, that's a high portion of people developing any sort of side effect for a vaccine.

All though I imagine mild.

Side effects of a vaccine is a good thing as long as they are minor. The purpose of a vaccine are to trigger immune response such as fever.

US2 wrote: »
    44 not looking good

48 hours -steady as she goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Hope this post doesn't surface the next time you need a job done on your house

“Ok so, the extension will be single story? That’s grand I’ll pop round on Saturday to take a first look, but before that can you let me know what your boards username is? ..... Yeah just want to look through your history...see if you’ve ever disparaged builders. You may as well let me know your reddit username while you’re at it.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

British pharmaceutical company Synairge claims its new respiratory coronavirus treatment has reduced the number of hospitalized Covid-19 patients needing intensive care in a clinical trial.

The company said its nebulizer treatment produced a 79% lower risk of patients developing severe disease than those given a placebo in initial trials. It said patients who received the treatment “were more than twice as likely to recover (defined as ‘no limitation of activities’ or ‘no clinical or virological evidence of infection’) over the course of the treatment period compared to those receiving placebo.”

The study has not yet been published in a peer-reviewed journal and has not released the full data.

The drug, SNG001, is a formulation of a naturally occurring antiviral protein called interferon beta that’s inhaled directly into the lungs in the hope of stimulating an immune response. The treatment is aimed at preventing infected patients deteriorating from requiring oxygen to being placed on a ventilator.

“This assessment of SNG001 in Covid-19 patients could signal a major breakthrough in the treatment of hospitalized Covid-19 patients,” said Synairgen CEO Richard Marsden.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/20/synairgen-says-small-coronavirus-treatment-trial-could-signal-major-breakthrough.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnny7136

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Why a year? Why is this arbitrary period any more significant than another, why don't we wait 3 years? Or ten ?

Well you havnt been listening to the news much have you. Plenty of regions of the world appear more than prepared to go into second lockdowns, Melbourne for example..
    Don't even know what you're trying to get at about the minus excess deaths in the U.K but it's just another blatant lie among a long list. You won't hear George lee reporting it as it's not true . Excess deaths in the U.K. Are tens of thousands above normal , it is the highest excess deaths the country has experienced since ww2 .

I think usually we wait a year to compare excess deaths. There now going into minus figures on previous years because a lot of people that died may have died anyway this year. They may we'll balance out over the year.

And is it right what's happening in Melbourne. Not to me it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Stheno wrote: »
    That's over 48 hours, so 24 each day?

200.gif

Hrududu wrote: »
    “Ok so, the extension will be single story? That’s grand I’ll pop round on Saturday to take a first look, but before that can you let me know what your boards username is? ..... Yeah just want to look through your history...see if you’ve ever disparaged builders. You may as well let me know your reddit username while you’re at it.”

Does every post need to be marked with an emoji of some sort to avoid the risk of being taken literally by those who wish to find the objectionable in everything? Even when exaggerating to make a point about posters choosing to denigrate a whole sector of society?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    0.26% positive rate in that 48 hours

99.74% of tests we're doing are negative.

To paraphrase something I read somewhere else; we are effectively lifting up rocks and trimming the long grass, hunting down this thing. And still coming back with very little.

Some of the numbers should give us cause for concern, but we should also take solace that our aggressive testing levels will make it very hard to lose control again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Does every post need to be marked with an emoji of some sort to avoid the risk of being taken literally by those who wish to find the objectionable in everything? Even when exaggerating to make a point about posters choosing to denigrate a whole sector of society?
    There's a lot of people in here to have a serious discussion about covid-19.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

Lads those Oxford results are seriously impressive. We’ll deffo be on track by end of year.

Positive but a long way to go.

That's a sweeping statement regarding being on track by the end of the year. You don't know how long each trial phase will take.

eagle eye wrote: »
    There's a lot of people in here to have a serious discussion about covid-19.

And its a serious discussion when someone denigrates an entire section of society as "not the most intelligent people", while its objectionable to call someone out on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I don’t know much about Pharma and how it works . If one company or Uni find a vaccine that works do they sell the “recipe “ to other companys then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The food thing was a sop to some pubs that could act as restaurants for the few weeks before everyone else opened up. Now that they have stopped pubs in general opening up for a longer period, it seems unfair that serving up a curry allows the others to stay open. It's either safe or not safe to sit in a bar, and this idea that having the plate of food is keeping us all acting in a safer manner is nonsense!

If a bar can demonstrate that it has complete capacity to properly impose social distancing it should be allowed in same way as pubs with food imo. I know many will disagree. And agree...
    KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The virus changes thanks to €9 food being served lol
    rubadub wrote: »
    on average I bet it does. Laws stating a food requirement have been in place for over 50 years, nothing new.

I was asking others what law they would have put in place to differentiate between a pub and a restaurant? I think the meal thing does it well.

Restaurants are allowed open in areas where a pub would have no hope of getting permission.

I don't see the question of what would be put in place to differentiate between a pub and a restaurant as material.

I have seen zero impact of the meal, other than that the pubs that are open and serving food have to ensure that their customers social distance. The meal is not changing the behaviour, at least in any pubs that I have been in over the last few weeks. That's not to say the behaviour is in any way poor, just that people aren't acting differently because they have some ribs and curry in front of them.

Apart from talking with their mouths full and spreading more virus :pac:

• Advertisement

wowzer wrote: »
    Not having a go at anyone at all but the pub thing has been done to death already in this thread and there are two designated threads for pubs, can we leave it out of here please.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind wowzer, for a second I had forgotten that I couldn't talk about whatever covid related thing I wanted on here. Though I imagine most of the whole thread is repeating the various elements of covid conversation, it being a general thread on the subject.

Thanks for not thread banning me though, given your new mod status :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so the question again is how long will the vaccine take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

seamus wrote: »
    Some of the numbers should give us cause for concern, but we should also take solace that our aggressive testing levels will make it very hard to lose control again.

Exactly this.

We are nowhere near the situation in March due to our testing and tracing regime. I am fully convinced that we will never see the April numbers of patients in ICU and hospitals again for that very reason.

Care homes are also in a much better place too. That along with superb progress on treatments deaths will be kept down too.

We will see spikes for sure but i would be confident that as a country we will do everything to ensure the second wave is suppressed. Masks and SD will play a huge roll.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I don’t know much about Pharma and how it works . If one company or Uni find a vaccine that works do they sell the “recipe “ to other companys then ?

Usually they will hold a patent on the new "recipe" which expires after a certain period In this instance the pace to get to market will be two quick to allow the patent process to be completed. The likelihood is that they will come to a licencing deal with other manufacturers where they don't have capacity. It is also likely the governments will direct companies to do this if there are capacity issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

It's a pack of sh1t for that Limerick pub owner. He was ll ready to go and open for today.

I mean like there's no controls at the airports and out government os inviting disease in. At least put some controls at the airport in place.

Is it true some Irish people are going away on holidays to Spain by bypassing Dublin and skipping the quarantine element? Apparently people are driving up north and flying from Belfast. I mean like we don't even have proper quarantine measures in place. People are asked to go and self isolate for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Positive but a long way to go.

That's a sweeping statement regarding being on track by the end of the year. You don't know how long each trial phase will take.

I'd expect paired back to absolute bare bones, remember each day costs thousands of lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Johnny7136 wrote: »
    I think usually we wait a year to compare excess deaths. There now going into minus figures on previous years because a lot of people that died may have died anyway this year. They may we'll balance out over the year.

And is it right what's happening in Melbourne. Not to me it's not

I still don't know what you mean, excess death in the UK for 2020 are still tens of thousands above average. Are you seriously putting that statement into question? They are not going into minus figures, that makes absolutely not an iota of sense. 60,000+ deaths will not balance out, I can assure you of that.

Whether I think it's right or not is irrelevant as I was simply pointing out the situation in Melbourne is a counter to your belief that 'no way would it(lockdown) happen again based on the figures we now know'. Youre wrong, many many countries and their citizens have made it clear that they are more than willing to enter lockdown for a second time based on the figures we now know. You are more than alone in your belief(in Europe at least) that COVID is nothing to worry about and that we can continue business as usual with it by our side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

I'd expect paired back to absolute bare bones, remember each day costs thousands of lives.

I understand what you're saying. But if anything goes slightly wrong and you're dealing with unknown side effects for many.

It's good news but until it's in circulation no jumping up and down here yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

so the question again is how long will the virus take

What do you mean? The duration of the infection, the longevity of the treatment. As far as I know the infection can last in somebody up to two months if you get a strong viral load, its week 5 or 6 that's crucial and determines if you need to go on a ventilator or else I suppose it could be very mild, don't know really.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

owlbethere wrote: »
    I mean like we don't even have proper quarantine measures in place. People are asked to go and self isolate for 2 weeks.

That there is a quarantine or self isolation requirement is a common misconception. It’s a ‘restriction of movement’ requirement....ie you can go out to exercise, with no distance requirement, and go to the shop.

So there’s no need really to go through Belfast to avoid it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The government need to grow a pair and take a firm stance on travel incoming and outgoing, their message is a mess, no enforced quarantine or follow up checks, only signing a form

owlbethere wrote: »
    It's a pack of sh1t for that Limerick pub owner. He was ll ready to go and open for today.

I mean like there's no controls at the airports and out government os inviting disease in. At least put some controls at the airport in place.

Is it true some Irish people are going away on holidays to Spain by bypassing Dublin and skipping the quarantine element? Apparently people are driving up north and flying from Belfast. I mean like we don't even have proper quarantine measures in place. People are asked to go and self isolate for 2 weeks.

That pub owner isn't much different to the people going on holidays, both are a risk to public health.

You don't negate one bad thing by encouraging another.

Anyway unless he is a complete idiot, it was 100% a publicity stunt, lets just hope it won't be remembered when it comes to renewing his license for the sake of his staff he is so worried about.

Like I said previously we cop on to travel after Wave 2, just before Wave 3.

so the question again is how long will the virus take

There could be a reason no one is answering your question there Bud.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Usually they will hold a patent on the new "recipe" which expires after a certain period In this instance the pace to get to market will be two quick to allow the patent process to be completed. The likelihood is that they will come to a licencing deal with other manufacturers where they don't have capacity. It is also likely the governments will direct companies to do this if there are capacity issues.

Thank you for the reply . Lets hope the Oxford team are on the right road

There could be a reason no one is answering your question there Bud.

:)

Is it because (s)he forgot to put a question mark at end?

• Advertisement

Is it because (s)he forgot to put a question mark at end?

It's not for the want of a question mark.

It's not for the want of a question mark.

I guess the old adage applies, " there are no stupid questions only stupid ...".;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The dithering and lack of decision making will soon make people very angry indeed.

So here we are and still no sign of the Green zones, or the consequences of travelling from a Red Zone, does it apply only to essential travel, what is defined as essential travel? Are there sanctions for going on yer holliers to a Green Zone? Do we have to quarantine if travelling from a Red zone for an essential purpose? And so on.

The eat in pubs are open, some are strict about the rules, many are not. Social distancing is largely gone out the window. Supermarkets are a free for all, some wear masks some don't.

Ah look, I think we are all getting a bit browned off now, and I'm one of them, so my apologies for the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

LATEST TESTING DATA
    48hr period

Tests conducted last 48hrs: 17,091
    Tests conducted last 7 days: 50,860
    Positive tests last 48hrs: 44
    Positivity rate last 7 days: 0.3%

More weekly tests done than last week?

13 of those 44 cases will be confirmed this evening seeing that only 31 cases was confirmed the last two days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How did a cluster start at a construction site in Dublin?

Isn't construction work considered safe because it's outdoor work?

Or does anyone know anything about the construction work going on, is the work almost finished and not outdoor work?

Or could infection be picked up from those portable toilets found on construction sites?

Based on 44 positive tests in last 48hrs can we expect around 20 new cases today or will it be around 40?

I guess the reporting lag will determine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Based on 44 positive tests in last 48hrs can we expect around 20 new cases today or will it be around 40?

I guess the reporting lag will determine.
    Max possible cases based on positive tests is 34 but it could be higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Or does anyone know anything about the construction work going on, is the work almost finished and not outdoor work?

Or could infection be picked up from those portable toilets found on construction sites?

I know it's a mad concept for but some lads working on construction sites sometimes live together and in other instances travel together. They even have a few pints together.
    Ah the toilets let's find something else to get terrified about.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

That pub owner isn't much different to the people going on holidays, both are a risk to public health.

Anyway unless he is a complete idiot, it was 100% a publicity stunt, lets just hope it won't be remembered when it comes to renewing his license for the sake of his staff he is so worried about.

Multiple posters making the same point about pub license renewal.It is very rare for a judge to refuse a license renewal even with Garda objections.The pub in question would have to continuously break licensing laws over a period of time.Judges are very reluctant to deprive the publican of his livelihood.Worse case scenario would be to transfer his license to a third party.

• Advertisement

Can you elaborate on your thoughts as to why this pub owner (IF he adopted SAME social distancing as pubs with food), or any other pub owner, would be a greater risk to public health though?

On the holidays, if you travel to a green zone, is there any much increased risk to travelling down the country for a break?

520587.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Paul construction work a buddy system on most of there site's.
    Same group work together, travel together lunch break together.
    So if one is infected it should only spread in the buddy group.
    Nothing to do with poralaloos.
    Rumor mill says that the first person that tested positive was a close contact of a know cluster and didn't self isolate or have a test when originally contacted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What time is the press conference on at today?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

0 deaths, 6 new cases

The dithering and lack of decision making will soon make people very angry indeed.

So here we are and still no sign of the Green zones, or the consequences of travelling from a Red Zone, does it apply only to essential travel, what is defined as essential travel? Are there sanctions for going on yer holliers to a Green Zone? Do we have to quarantine if travelling from a Red zone for an essential purpose? And so on.

The eat in pubs are open, some are strict about the rules, many are not. Social distancing is largely gone out the window. Supermarkets are a free for all, some wear masks some don't.

Ah look, I think we are all getting a bit browned off now, and I'm one of them, so my apologies for the rant.

The Green Zone announcement is an utter irrelevance IMO. The advice will still be to not travel, even to a Green Zone, so makes no difference to travel insurance (for those that care about travel insurance). And anyone who is planning on going to the UK or France or Spain is not going to change their plans based on whether or not those countries are on a Green List, given that there is only a pretty soft 'restriction of movement' requirement upon return.

It might make a difference if the Green List is accompanied by a change in the rules about quarantine upon return from a country not on it, but otherwise seems like a waste of time for everyone involved

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The news story said the site was for apartments and a hotel. I imagine whilst some of it would be outdoors a decent amount of the work would be either indoors or at the least covered/sheltered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Bleedin' Foreigners

All them Americans who came over and infected us all, damn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

6 new cases is great news.

0 deaths, 6 new cases

Superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Mondays are usually no pointer to the rest of the week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement