Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

It also says 1,736 'includes probable and possible' deaths, could someone tell me what that means?
    A 'probable and possible' cause of death would never be tolerated on a death cert would it?

WHO guidelines state that countries should report all deaths that could potentially be attributable to Covid-19, rather than just confirmed cases - we just did the latter until around halfway through the epidemic, and then the other deaths were added to the tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The World Health Organization holds a live briefing on the coronavirus outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Crush the curve? Don't be ridiculous. That involves either (1) buy in from the whole world or else (2) closing borders to Ireland. Neither are practicable so don't even bother mentioning eliminating the virus in Ireland.

Similarly, a "new normal" is not one where social distancing lasts indefinitely following the reopening of society. It lasts a few weeks at best but with everything open including sports clubs, very quickly people won't adhere to social distancing, especially those not categorised as vulnerable. All you need to do is look at a few big gatherings recently (i.e. BLM protests, Stephen's Green public drinking and the Garda's funeral) to notice this if you haven't experienced it in your day to day life.

Social distancing is an absolute cornerstone of the infamous new normal. Unless the virus is effectively eradicated we will continue social distancing indefinitely. As I have been saying for months, people have not grasped just how invasive this will be.
    How do we eliminate it without literally shutting down airports and port entries completely? It's impossible. We could seal off our borders now until the end of the year and probably get to 0 cases for an extended period of time. But what happens as soon as we open back up as the Covid free Utopia if it still exists outside our borders? And what has happened to the economy during all this time we were shut off from the world? I just don't see shutting up shop as a valid option because it's pointless. Unless every single country on the planet does it until it has been globally eradicated.

Strike a deal with Northern Ireland and have 2 weeks proper mandatory quarantine for all arrivals in the country. If we don't see major progress on a vaccine in 6-12 months the above option is far more palatable than years of social distancing imo. Once people see how restrictive the new normal is, I think most will agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

fr336 wrote: »
    Anyone in their 60s, 70s, 80s and beyond and those with even the most basic underlying health condition such as ashtma should be sent a letter by the government saying "Sorry folks, thanks and all but turns out the majority of your peers don't really give a damn about whether you live or die. Basically lock yourselves up so you don't get in the and way of the majority living their exciting lives or too bad really. We would however urge the 60 year olds we have as teachers to maybe take extra precautions as we could really do without you lot dying. Thanksx"

Yes...You're so right and this is such a healthy viewpoint to have I'm sure. Anyone that goes outside the door these days is killing someone, we need to be collectively responsible and listen to what our overlords Dr Tony, George Lee, Prof Tony Killeen, Prof Tomás Ryan and others order us to do without question. Cancel that holiday and lose those thousands, and if you dare not George will be at the airport with a camera in your face to plaster you live to the neighbours who are in reality just raging they don't have the courage to just go themselves.
    Best not to reopen anymore, let's wait and see for another few months...let all the businesses fold that are going to very soon and live in our lovely little Green Utopia. If there's one thing we've plenty of here is fresh air - but I hear that doesn't pay bills, put food on the table, a roof over people's heads, or generate employment...I suppose as long as it means Covid the disease that has a survival rate in Ireland of at least 99.6% is kept 'at bay' for a never ending amount of time, it's all worth it. Other deaths and issues don't count.
    I saw a poster on here this week saying they stood and 'watched/observed' people at an eating area to see were they 'following the rules' - How weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Surely Ryanair could do this in private channels. Don't think they're coming out well in this. Seems childish tbh https://twitter.com/RyanairPress/status/1278334771618361347?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Eod100 wrote: »
    Surely Ryanair could do this in private channels. Don't think they're coming out well in this. Seems childish tbh https://twitter.com/RyanairPress/status/1278334771618361347?s=19

I think they have every right to seek clarification. Thousands of jobs are affected by this.

The government have let this go now for 48 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

lukas8888 wrote: »
    I have to hand it to you Cork Boy or Bud,no matter how nonsensical some of your posts are, and how often they get demolished by multiple posters, you keep coming back for more.You definitely deserve an award for resilience.

I have just read this now. Mine and others arguments have been demolished? Newsflash for you bud. With maybe 2 or 3 homourable exceptions the majority of the "demolishing" consists of snowflake crap coupled with loud shouty cries of "misery merchant", "curtain twitcher" and other such childish rubbish. Wind your neck in. If I get banned for this post then so be it. The truth obviously hurts some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah load of bollox the whole **** show. Why did we even bother ? Won’t end well. Still will free up some much needed housing for the younger generations.

https://twitter.com/thomassowell/status/1278138704016662529?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Yes...You're so right and this is such a healthy viewpoint to have I'm sure. Anyone that goes outside the door these days is killing someone, we need to be collectively responsible and listen to what our overlords Dr Tony, George Lee, Prof Tony Killeen, Prof TomRyan and others order us to do without question. Cancel that holiday and lose those thousands, and if you dare not George will be at the airport with a camera in your face to plaster you live to the neighbours who are in reality just raging they don't have the courage to just go themselves.
    Best not to reopen anymore, let's wait and see for another few months...let all the businesses fold that are going to very soon and live in our lovely little Green Utopia. If there's one thing we've plenty of here is fresh air - but I hear that doesn't pay bills, put food on the table, a roof over people's heads, or generate employment...I suppose as long as it means Covid the disease that has a survival rate in Ireland of at least 99.6% is kept 'at bay' for a never ending amount of time, it's all worth it. Other deaths and issues don't count.
    I saw a poster on here this week saying they stood and 'watched/observed' people at an eating area to see where they 'following the rules' - How weird.

READ the POST. WHERE do I say lockdown is needed again? WHERE do I say businesses shouldn't be allowed to open? The post was ABOUT the PEOPLE who have little care for others and post comments like "all the vunerable can lock themselves up if they so choose". Businesses should be opening, and are open, with social distancing and cleaning measures in place. Hope you enjoyed your pointless rant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

We could really do with a daily briefing today, there’s a lot of travel uncertainty unfortunately

• Advertisement

I think they have every right to seek clarification. Thousands of jobs are affected by this.

The government have let this go now for 48 hours.

Like I said I'm sure they have private channels they could use. This just seems like attention seeming. Green list countries due out before 9th July so current advice still to avoid non-essential travel in the meantime. Not sure what they need clarity on in the meantime

Like I said I'm sure they have private channels they could use. This just seems like attention seeming. Green list countries due out before 9th July so current advice still to avoid non-essential travel in the meantime. Not sure what they need clarity on in the meantime

Attention seeking?

This is a catastrophe for the airline and tourist industry. I don't think anyone is trying to attention seek.

The government are up in the clouds about this.

We could really do with a daily briefing today, there’s a lot of travel uncertainty unfortunately

I think NPHET will always take a more cautious position. Presume once green list is out by 9th travel advice will change from avoid non-essential trad. I think NPHET will be pushing messaging whether people should travel even if they can at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Do people really expect the CMO to say anything other than stay at home and don't import the virus?

His job isn't to look after the economy, he's noted cases coming from abroad (again) and has called it out.
    If it was a government minister calling it out I'd expect backlash but not the CMO.

People are at least informed now and can't feign lack of knowledge if they come back and infect others.
    At the moment everyone can make their own decisions but at least they are the best informed ones (from a medical and economic viewpoint).

Attention seeking?

This is a catastrophe for the airline and tourist industry. I don't think anyone is trying to attention seek.

The government are up in the clouds about this.

Do you think posting tweets like that is a genuine attempt to seek clarity? Instead of writing a letter or seeking meeting with minister for transport?

Do you think posting tweets like that is a genuine attempt to seek clarity? Instead of writing a letter or seeking meeting with minister for transport?

No time for letters or meetings. The government needs to make a decision on foreign travel ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Tony Holohan singled out Ryanair personally by both tweet and on a live radio show,I'm more surprised they left it so long to reply

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

fr336 wrote: »
    They don't get demolished, they get a load of noise in their ears which basically amounts to "we need to get back to normal, we should have got back to normal in April, and the thousands of people who may be vunerable can stay the hell at home I want my holiday and pint. If they have jobs too bad."
    Are you serious, i invite you to take a read of his posts over the last week or two.Of course he makes some valid points but then comes out with bizarre posts.

No time for letters or meetings. The government needs to make a decision on foreign travel ASAP.

The current position hasn't changed. Green list due out by next Thursday at EU level. People won't be prevented from travelling but from NPHET pov will be strongly encouraged to holiday at home which was always going to be the case. I know it seems like 6 imported cases isn't much but guess it's in context of restrictions easing here, hospitals having non-covid procedures etc and airlines resuming flights (Ryanair have 40% of usual flight level today) so NPHET trying to keep things under control as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Interesting study on testing and frequency versus the accuracy of tests.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.22.20136309v2

What about contact tracing apps? Takeup seems to be key.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01514-2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In Prague, they celebrated the lifting of restrictions with a farewell Covid party and a 500m long table. I like their style.

106599449-1593606184645gettyimages-1223646818.jpeg?v=1593606285&w=740&h=416
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/coronavirus-live-updates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Then Simon Harris should not have tweeted in relation to a radio show that Ryanair were on this morning.
    Tony Holohan should not have tweeted people not to travel abroad for holidays on Sunday ECT ECT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Ryanair has some cheek to tweet that.

'poor travel advice from the CMO'. Of course they would think it's poor advice. Potentially the business is on the line of people don't travel.

Travelling was considered high risk back in February and March of this year. It's still high risk, all around. For people who travel, for people who come home with the possibility of setting off a new cluster of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Do people really expect the CMO to say anything other than stay at home and don't import the virus?

His job isn't to look after the economy, he's noted cases coming from abroad (again) and has called it out.
    If it was a government minister calling it out I'd expect backlash but not the CMO.

People are at least informed now and can't feign lack of knowledge if they come back and infect others.
    At the moment everyone can make their own decisions but at least they are the best informed ones (from a medical and economic viewpoint).

I'm grand with travel as long as anyone who subsequently falls ill is identified as having travelled and any medical care is paid for by Ryanair. We have a thing called a passport which makes this possible.

I'm not subsidising Michael O'Leary's next race horse because he convinced a large number of people to travel through marketing.

I wouldn't expect health care workers to be working miracles either this time around. Clock on clock off would be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Our new Taoiseach and Ministers for Health and Transport are very slow off the blocks aren’t they.

We need clarity, best advice, guidelines and so on yesterday. I’m very disappointed in them. It’s not as if this virus happened on their first day in their jobs.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Tony Holohan singled out Ryanair personally by both tweet and on a live radio show,I'm more surprised they left it so long to reply

Had he specifically named them? What was the context? Hadn't seen those

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Ryanair are hardly the only airline getting up and running again

ZX7R wrote: »
    Then Simon Harris should not have tweeted in relation to a radio show that Ryanair were on this morning.
    Tony Holohan should not have tweeted people not to travel abroad for holidays on Sunday ECT ECT

It was the content of the tweets not that it was tweeted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Our new Taoiseach and Ministers for Health and Transport are very slow off the blocks aren’t they.

We need clarity, best advice, guidelines and so on yesterday. I’m very disappointed in them. It’s not as if this virus happened on their first day in their jobs.

It's the minister for foreign affairs brief as I understand, Simon Covney.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement