Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We’re having a big party anyway when this is over, everyone’s invited so I better wear body armour :D

Karaoke ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Or, maybe they are just doing their job as best they can honestly reporting the facts as they find them.

The way I'd see it, is that during the stay at home period with the tight restrictions. Most people were only really in their own homes outside of the supermarket. They left their house and went to the shop. And then back. And social distancing was a bit more adhered to with the queues outside.

Now you have people in supermarkets that are back at work, on public transport, in friends houses, in restaurants or pubs, gyms, cinemas, have been out of the country travelling etc to name a few. So there is more of a chance that someone with it could be strolling around a supermarket now despite the lower cases. There are simply more places a person can be now to catch it. Doesn't mean they are more likely to catch it though. Just more potential exposure to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭amandstu

Apparently today there were 6 new cases and no deaths from Covid in the South.

But they also said there have been 20 new cases from a construction site (now shut temporarily) today.

Are those old cases or what?

How does that match up with only 6 new cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The 20 cases were registered last Thursday/Friday, explaining why we had 34 one of those days. Dublin was +25 on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

The way I'd see it, is that during the stay at home period with the tight restrictions. Most people were only really in their own homes outside of the supermarket. They left their house and went to the shop. And then back. And social distancing was a bit more adhered to with the queues outside.

Now you have people in supermarkets that are back at work, on public transport, in friends houses, in restaurants or pubs, gyms, cinemas, have been out of the country travelling etc to name a few. So there is more of a chance that someone with it could be strolling around a supermarket now despite the lower cases. There are simply more places a person can be now to catch it. Doesn't mean they are more likely to catch it though. Just more potential exposure to it.

Add in compound interest and you'd have actuarial science nailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Don’t think RTÉ needed to send a push notification about the cluster in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I pick up the news wrong last week, I thought every shopper in an Irish retail outlet today had to be wearing masks?

I was in a supermarket and a service station today and the vast majority are still not masked up.

What are the rules? Is it in place but up to the shops to enforce, is that why all the folk spending money are allowed to dander on in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Don’t think RTÉ needed to send a push notification about the cluster in Dublin.

Thought exactly the same thing. More misery.

Thought exactly the same thing. More misery.

Also why wasn’t it reported with the 6 cases to day or were they reported last week or over the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did I pick up the news wrong last week, I thought every shopper in an Irish retail outlet today had to be wearing masks?

I was in a supermarket and a service station today and the vast majority are still not masked up.

What are the rules? Is it in place but up to the shops to enforce, is that why all the folk spending money are allowed to dander on in?

Not mandatory in shops. Advised but no legislation unlike public transport where legislation is now in place so it is mandatory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

We’re having a big party anyway when this is over, everyone’s invited so I better wear body armour :D

No many of us will want to buy you a drink :) I've read back through your posts and you're very knowledgeable. Apologies I've been ratty this evening.

I've had chest problems, non Covid related, and on antibiotics and steroids for over 3 weeks, they mess up sleep etc.

Also why wasn’t it reported with the 6 cases to day or were they reported last week or over the weekend?

The day in the 30s before the weekend had Dublin +25 so it had to be included in that

Might be mistaking it for UK where they will be compulsory on Friday I think.

Lads those Oxford results are seriously impressive. We’ll deffo be on track by end of year.

Not to be a deputy downer, but don't a huge amount of vaccines fall at the final hurdle?

No many of us will want to buy you a drink :) I've read back through your posts and you're very knowledgeable. Apologies I've been ratty this evening.

I've had chest problems, non Covid related, and on antibiotics and steroids for over 3 weeks, they mess up sleep etc.

I guess you will be an accepted subject of the fiefdom now. ;)

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Not to be a deputy downer, but don't a huge amount of vaccines fall at the final hurdle?

Saw someone post on the vaccine thread that 85% of those that make it to phase 3 are approved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Or, maybe they are just doing their job as best they can honestly reporting the facts as they find them.

By the way there is no such thing as a polesheep, when the flock turns the one at the front is at the rear. It is only by chance that any particular sheep is in front, there is no ability they are all followers.

I guess you know as much about sheep as you do about the level of covid risk in any particular environment.

If you don't think that they have PR advisors then you are naive. As for the name polesheep, check out the sign up page. And do please try to post without being insulting.

• Advertisement

The day in the 30s before the weekend had Dublin +25 so it had to be included in that

I’d hope that was it. RTÉ are really running the fear model today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Felt the same in Centra in Salthill, Galway today as well, half of us masked up and others not.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I’d hope that was it. RTÉ are really running the fear model today

I stopped reading RTE weeks ago tbh they’ve done themselves no favours during this

Felt the same in Centra in Salthill, Galway today as well, half of us masked up and others not.

Was in a pretty large supervalu in cork city today. All staff were wearing masks some had a visor and I reckon 90% of Customers wearing masks or coverings

270 cases in last two weeks, median age 34 years.

Median age down by 10 years in the last few weeks

It was at 45 not so long ago if I'm remembering right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Median age down by 10 years in the last few weeks

It was at 45 not so long ago if I'm remembering right

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

• Advertisement

Saw someone post on the vaccine thread that 85% of those that make it to phase 3 are approved

I thought Laura on Reddit (who works in a lab) said that 80% of them failed at Phase 3

I'll have a look for her post this week if I can

polesheep wrote: »
    If you don't think that they have PR advisors then you are naive. As for the name polesheep, check out the sign up page. And do please try to post without being insulting.

Post amended to remove sparky bit.
    I still take exception to the pr jibe. It is only used to discredit the message. A message we have no reason to believe was delivered in bad faith.

It could be read both ways tbh
    • The good: younger people survive this better
    • The not so good: more younger people are getting this through recklessness and they can then pass it onto older relatives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Be right back

Was in a pretty large supervalu in cork city today. All staff were wearing masks some had a visor and I reckon 90% of Customers wearing masks or coverings

Was in Cork city today and there was a large number wearing masks. I went to a Dunnes as well, loads of customers wearing masks but very few staff were..

It could read both ways tbh
    • The not so good: more younger people are getting this through recklessness and they can then pass it onto older relatives

I genuinely did not know the answer to that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't know the ins and out, and someone will no doubt enlighten me, but the Healthcare workers seem to be particularly vulnerable. Does anyone know why? They have ppe now and all that.

They are so great going into the coalface like that knowing the stats of their colleagues all the same. Hats off.

The clusters in other places like building sites and so on, well looks inevitable if their "bubbles" of co workers is broken.

Stopped off in Gorey Services yesterday and honest to god, while it was absolutely spotless, there was no social distancing that I could see. Legged it after using the pristine jacks taking care all the way as you should. Look, some are careful, some are not. We might all succumb but getting into a routine now re washing hands, touching handles and surfaces and so on is a good habit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Lyle wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1285250259334115329?s=20

We're a very long way from the 1st of June anyway at least!
    Some more context.

July 20th - 6 cases from 8,402 tests
    July 13 - 11 cases from 7,664 tests
    July 6 - 4 cases from 6,529 tests
    June 29th - 24 cases from 3,340 tests
    June 22nd - 4 cases from 1,498 tests
    June 15th - 18 cases from 2,685 tests
    June 8th - 9 cases from 2,777 tests
    June 1st - 77 cases from 3,232 test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So the acting CMO says there will be a rise in cases tomorrow because of some sort of lag.

But according to NPHET lite on here he is fear mongering and talking shít.

Jaysus.

The young also seem to be refusing tests which should be punishable

I thought Laura on Reddit (who works in a lab) said that 80% of them failed at Phase 3

I'll have a look for her post this week if I can

If a drug makes it to phase 3 it likely won’t make you worse, so having invested a lot of money to get it there the developers will try to find a use for it somewhere, even if it’s not it’s original intended use and the benifits are marginal at best. Obviously the same would not apply for vaccines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Post amended to remove sparky bit.
    I still take exception to the pr jibe. It is only used to discredit the message. A message we have no reason to believe was delivered in bad faith.

Thanks for the amendment.

It's not a jibe. I first stated that we were being manipulated before the lockdown even commenced and I believe it has continued. I also said that it was to be expected and, it could be argued, was required. I worked in the industry for many years and you might be surprised just how much of your daily life is influenced by (government) PR.

It's one thing something getting mandated, it's another getting supermarket owners and bus "unions" (what as waste of oxygen they are) to make sure they get people to do it

I saw a video of Costo in America earlier. Now, as bad as the country is doing overall, Costo made masks for their staff and customers absolutely compulsory and are making sure all are following their rules

It's all starting to feel far too "shure it'll be grand" and Irish here when it comes to things like masks and who we're allowing into the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

0 deaths and 6 new cases in 24hrs.

In a country of nearly 5 million, surely thats something to celebrate.

There has been a lot of negative stories on the radio and TV this last week or so, are they just trying to keep us down?

Boggles wrote: »
    So the acting CMO says there will be a rise in cases tomorrow because of some sort of lag.

Jaysus.

If like last week we see 30 or so cases tomorrow I think it’s deliberate. If they know results for the full weekend then why not give them on the Monday instead of waiting a day. It makes no odds. It is bull that there’s a lag. There shouldn’t be at this stage.

Who knows, maybe in two years we'll find out.

Good in that the proportion of people with very bad outcomes might fall.

Bad in that a section of the community that wasn't in the past being infected are now being infected.

• Advertisement

I genuinely did not know the answer to that one.

There has been a lot of negative stories on the radio and TV this last week or so, are they just trying to keep us down?

Good news doesn’t get you viewers or sell papers or get you followers on Twitter. The virgin/news talk jouros are the worst.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The young also seem to be refusing tests which should be punishable

This bit completely baffles me

Like, how is it not mandatory to take a test if you've been a known case for someone who tested positive?!

What are other countries doing in this regard? It must be compulsory in dozens of countries to take a test in these circumstances right?

It is certainly something to welcome, though outright celebration might be a bit premature.

I’ve been in Douglas Court, Mahon and Centra Rochestown and am seeing very high compliance also

I think with the weather, hayfever over high pollen and Covid pandemic stress, sleep is an issue for many

Now more important, what drinks will we all be having to start off :P

Weekly trends are where it's at for me from now on. The daily ones are like a yo yo!

But yes, today's numbers were excellent

From what I've read we're expecting tomorrow to be a big ish jump because of a backlog?

polesheep wrote: »
    Thanks for the amendment.

It's not a jibe. I first stated that we were being manipulated before the lockdown even commenced and I believe it has continued. I also said that it was to be expected and, it could be argued, was required. I worked in the industry for many years and you might be surprised just how much of your daily life is influenced by (government) PR.

I don't doubt that you are being manipulated, just not by the people you think.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think with the weather, hayfever over high pollen and Covid pandemic stress, sleep is an issue for many

Now more important, what drinks will we all be having to start off :P

hand sanitiser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Boggles wrote: »

Jaysus.

Don't think he's fear mongering unlike some people and TV stations but more of a tactic that the public don't get complacent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement