Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I don't doubt that you are being manipulated, just not by the people you think.

Ah, come on. Do you think I can't see? They're all at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

NIMAN wrote: »
    0 deaths and 6 new cases in 24hrs.

In a country of nearly 5 million, surely thats something to celebrate.

There has been a lot of negative stories on the radio and TV this last week or so, are they just trying to keep us down?

Exactly why not a bit positivity in the media, its constant scaremongering and constant talk of complacency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It is certainly something to welcome, though outright celebration might be a bit premature.

Its ok, I wasn't planning a big party or anything.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

thelad95 wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-construction-site-closes-after-workers-test-positive-for-coronavirus-1.4308678?mode=amp

Construction sites could become the new meat factory. Zero social distancing between workers (often not the most intelligent of people).

Londis near me, workers all in getting lunch every day on top of each other, then sit outside eating together. Understandable that if one gets it, it'll spread like wildfire.

I mentioned yesterday about this builder on Reddit Ireland saying worksites could be a big problem going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The R number was all over the media last week, any news of it today. 1 week should be enough to give us a decent figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    This bit completely baffles me

Like, how is it not mandatory to take a test if you've been a known case for someone who tested positive?!

What are other countries doing in this regard? It must be compulsory in dozens of countries to take a test in these circumstances right?

Yes it is strange why refuse a free test :mad: if contact traced :confused:

Citizen: I've just seen your post on Reddit Ireland
    Tests conducted last 24 hours: 8,402
    Positivity Rate: 0.07%

Jaysus

That's double of what we were at just a few days ago

It's amazing compared to many other countries, but still; it's doubled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I thought Laura on Reddit (who works in a lab) said that 80% of them failed at Phase 3

I'll have a look for her post this week if I can

Good article here on failure rates by phase.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/11/clinical-trial-success-rates-phase-and-therapeutic-area-14845

85% of vaccines which make it to phase 3 get approved. However, I would suggest that the very fast rate at which the Covid-19 vaccines have been developed could mean a higher risk of failure in phase 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Jaysus

Doubling of such an already miniscule figure is very insignificant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

No many of us will want to buy you a drink :) I've read back through your posts and you're very knowledgeable. Apologies I've been ratty this evening.

I've had chest problems, non Covid related, and on antibiotics and steroids for over 3 weeks, they mess up sleep etc.
    No need to apologise this is a tough time for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Yes and I'm criticising some of your Covid posts.
    LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well set up a thread to discuss and critique Citizens posts then or contact a mod.

A reminder to please report posts you feel are inappropriate. Lets not drag the thread off topic by getting into an argument about the posting style of other users

Jaysus

It hasn't doubled it has gone the opposite direction! There's an additional zero. Average is 0.3%, today's was 0.07.

niallo27 wrote: »
    The R number was all over the media last week, any news of it today. 1 week should be enough to give us a decent figure.
    I reckon it still could be up a bit because of the construction site, that would have skewed it big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes it is strange why refuse a free test :mad: if contact traced :confused:

I think its simply down to the fact that its unpleasant to get done.

Even the experts on the radio admitted it a few times this week.

For many, if offered one and you hear its not nice, they'll simply say "no thanks"

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭NH2013

Jaysus

Was it not 0.3% last week? So 0.07% is not a almost 10 times less?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

niallo27 wrote: »

It will be up and down like the proverbial "drawers", no point fixating on it until it is 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It hasn't doubled it has gone the opposite direction! There's an additional zero. Average is 0.3%, today's was 0.07.

:pac:

Sorry. It's been a long day. I missed the zero in that and read it as 0.7

Wow. Ireland's positivity rate is fcuking amazing

Like, surely we must be top 5 lowest positivity rate worldwide right now

By comparison, at the other end of the scale, Arizona had a 25% positivity rate today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep, we’ve been doing great, must be said. Though let’s keep going ! :)

Kinda mad to think there's nearly 9000 people getting negative test text messages every day, the HSE must be spending a fortune on credit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

No need to apologise this is a tough time for everyone.

Thank you. In fairness it was necessary. I totally got the wrong end of the stick over the past 2 days.

We won't fall out over it.

Laura on Reddit Ireland's daily recap:

• New Cases: 6
    • Total Cases: 25,766
    • New Deaths: 0
    • Denotified: N/A
    • Total Deaths: 1753
    • Median age: 83
    • Underlying conditions: 94%

Hospital Statistics
    • Hospitalised: 11
    • In ICU: 9
    In the past 14 days
    • Cases: 270
    • Cases arisen during that period: 211
    • Incidence rate: 5.67/100,000 (based on the 270 number)
    • Median age: 34
    • Males: 115
    • Females: 154
    • Healthcare workers: 83
    Location of cases in past 14 days
    • Dublin: 149
    • Kildare: 28
    • Cork: 15
    • Remaining 78 cases spread across 17 counties.
    Residential Settings (Includes nursing homes)
    • Clusters: 470
    • Total Cases: 7486
    • Total Deaths: 1110
    Nursing Homes
    • Clusters: 267
    • Total Cases: 5868
    • Total Deaths: 987
    As of Saturday 18th July
    • Total cases: 25,760 (+9)
    • Hospitalised: 3,343 (+1)
    • ICU: 437 (+0)
    • Healthcare workers: 8,342 (+4)
    • Clusters: 2,146 (+0)
    • Cases associated with clusters: 13,630 (+1)
    Case locations as of 18th July
    • Dublin +6
    • Galway +1
    • Kildare +2

21% of cases in last 2 weeks are travel related.

However the vast majority of these cases were picked up in Ireland

CMO believes that the number of cases today is due to the weekend. Expect for this number to increase again during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Strumms wrote: »
    Yep, we’ve been doing great, must be said. Though let’s keep going ! :)

We don't give ourselves enough credit for what a great (not perfect) country this is. Even a lot of the things that annoy us are actually a reflection of what is great if we stop and think about it for a while.

HSE Daily Operations Update

11 in hospital, down by 1.
    2 admissions/confirmed tests today, one in Cavan and one in Galway.
    8 in ICU, decrease of one with no deaths in ICU today.
    No change in ventilations at 5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

We're doing really, really well.

Once we sort this travel I'd be really optimistic. Progress being made re. vaccines and also medication treatments for the virus.

Jaysus

It was 0.3% not 0.03%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am glad to see the stats are good today.

However it's a fkn rollercoaster really. One day great, two days later R rate is dangerous and close EVERYTHING. Don't go abroad and so on.

I suppose it will be up and down for a long while yet, but in fairness we are doing ok I hope.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think its simply down to the fact that its unpleasant to get done.

Even the experts on the radio admitted it a few times this week.

For many, if offered one and you hear its not nice, they'll simply say "no thanks"

Could be a work issue too? Might mean 2 weeks without pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

How many cane from the Mater lag? 59 is minuscule in comparison

Think that was over 200 at the time

Still 59 is a big addition when the rise in cases has been blamed for the 'pause' in phases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

The healthcare worker stats are still so high. Has anyone asked about that at the press conferences? They’re all too busy trying to trip him up on the green list, looking for a headline.

80 odd out of 270 cases in the last fortnight. While we have only 11 in hospital. I’d love to see the explanation for that.

The healthcare worker stats are still so high. Has anyone asked about that at the press conferences? They’re all too busy trying to trip him up on the green list, looking for a headline.

80 odd out of 270 cases in the last fortnight. While we have only 11 in hospital. I’d love to see the explanation for that.

Agree absolutely. I don't know why it's happening in such numbers. But fair dues to them turning up for work knowing they could be the next statistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Juwwi

83 healthcare workers out of the 270 new cases in the last 14 days seems nuts .

Edit didn't see above post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I wonder what sort of masks and PPE they are wearing now , whatever about the plane loads of dodgy stuff they got from China months ago you'd expect at this stage there are plenty of whatever is the best of the best masks available at this stage .

Agree absolutely. I don't know why it's happening in such numbers. But fair dues to them turning up for work knowing they could be the next statistic.

I can't think of any daily amount of money you could pay me to work a Covid ward in a HSE role (or even as a cleaner or other supporting role tbh)

Hypothetical question: what amount of money would you do it daily for?

I legitimately wouldn't work a Covid ward for 10 grand a day

There's something just not right with our Healthcare numbers. We've let them down as much as we did those in the Nursing homes

Is it the PPE? The procedures? Or other?

It's strange!

Seems to me that to be a healthcare worker is down the pecking order before advising us to stay at home this year.

I'm disappointed with the new Administration. But I suppose it's early days and hopefully they will find their feet very soon.

Hasn't been a great start though. No one could contest that.

I so admire those working in healthcare, while some of us might be scared of going to the supermarket or on public transport. Well done them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anyone noticed the amount of British registered cars around over the last week? Is there no way to stop these people coming in here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

eagle eye wrote: »
    Anyone noticed the amount of British registered cars around over the last week? Is there no way to stop these people coming in here?

I know alot of people going over buying cars at the moment, the exchange rate is excellent. Could be a contribution to the numbers you are seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Good point...I’m just coming across this..

“It is estimated that there are 300 major and minor crossings along the 310-mile (499 km) NI / ROI border.”.... ( source, Wikipedia )

Not a cats in hells chance we have the resources to police that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Loads of them around here but, then again, there's a very large number of people working here who live in N. Ireland.

No restrictions, possibly because of the CTA. Unless the UK joins the Red zones. Can't see that happening myself, but anyway.

Was in Wicklow over the weekend and every second car on the M11 to join the M50 North was NI registered, well you know what I mean. And I suspect the same was happening Southbound too.

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with these people visiting at all, but it seems a bit lax somehow. I dunno.

I'll stay open minded for now. The stats from NI are good so that's a positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Laura on Reddit Ireland's daily recap:
    • New Cases: 6
    • Total Cases: 25,766
    • New Deaths: 0
    • Denotified: N/A
    • Total Deaths: 1753
    • Median age: 83
    • Underlying conditions: 94%

94% with underlying conditions. Is that 94% of deaths yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

No restrictions, possibly because of the CTA. Unless the UK joins the Red zones. Can't see that happening myself, but anyway.

Was in Wicklow over the weekend and every second car on the M11 to join the M50 North was NI registered, well you know what I mean. And I suspect the same was happening Southbound too.

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with these people visiting at all, but it seems a bit lax somehow. I dunno.

I'll stay open minded for now. The stats from NI are good so that's a positive.

And Scotland for that matter too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

94% with underlying conditions. Is that 94% of deaths yeah?

I think so

Citizen; what you reckon? Is it cases or mortalities

And Scotland for that matter too.

Very true, and Scots are great craic just like ourselves. But I don't know if many venture to the South (roi), not sure, anyway Scotland is a great place to visit apart from the midges in Summer. lol.

Did a road trip a few years ago from Larne to Cairnryan and went all over. Was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

I am glad to see the stats are good today.

However it's a fkn rollercoaster really. One day great, two days later R rate is dangerous and close EVERYTHING. Don't go abroad and so on.

I suppose it will be up and down for a long while yet, but in fairness we are doing ok I hope.

I think when we are doing the guts of 10k tests a day fluctuations between 10 and 30 are pretty miniscule in reality.

British people have Irish residency rights (and vice versa) under the CTA without any permission or documentation needed (unlike, for example, between Schengen countries, where you still need to get a permit to settle in a different country). So very hard, if not impossible, to stop their entry, by air or ferry.

Also cars in England are very cheap, I have brought one over which will be on the yellow plates for another few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I think so

Citizen; what you reckon? Is it cases or mortalities

Of course deaths! Unless people with underlying conditions are absolutely going out of their way to get infected :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I think the words Cause and Concern should be wiped from the dictionary.
    My two cents

I think when we are doing the guts of 10k tests a day fluctuations between 10 and 30 are pretty miniscule in reality.

Yes I think most understand that. But the issue is that Gov is saying one day open up, next day close down, don't go on holidays, the Ro rate is rising, we'll be at 200 cases a day within a week.

We are in the middle of a communication deficit. Need clarity now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Of course deaths! Unless people with underlying conditions are absolutely going out of their way to get infected :pac:

Yeah so I figured!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement