Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

polesheep wrote: »
    Ignore him, it seems like he's trying to draw you out for a banning.

Thank god for the ignore button, I’m not going to lose my head over people gathering to celebrate a persons life at a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

tom1ie wrote: »
    Lol! No ones frightened I’m pointing out the obvious risk here.

There is no obvious risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You can’t compare two incidents when one involved alcohol in an enclosed outside space and one involves the death of a man by a roundabout, seriously like

Both incidents have a couple of hundred people closely standing together outside.

I hate people using phrases like "the virus does not discriminate". But... I didn't realise transmission is not possible when it is a crowd for somebodies death. They shouldn't have bothered banning gatherings at graveyards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

You’re throwing a hissy over people gathering at a roundabout, is it illegal?

Again I didn’t say anything about something being illegal. That was you twice now.
    And it was a non SD crowd with little to no mask wearing at a roundabout just to correct you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

If anything, there is less risk of contracting Covid in an outdoor setting, provided of course that social distancing is maintained - the major risk factors involve spending extended periods in confined areas, and contact with a potentially infected person lasting longer than 15 minutes.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Both incidents have a couple of hundred people closely standing together outside.

I hate people using phrases like "the virus does not discriminate". But... I didn't realise transmission is not possible when it is a crowd for somebodies death. They shouldn't have bothered banning gatherings at graveyards.

No, they shouldn't have, but they didn't have a good handle on the risks at the time.

Until I see evidence of an outdoor cluster in Ireland I have no issue with it.

There is no obvious risk.

Well there isn’t if you SD and wear a mask but the majority didn’t so there is a risk, which has been well publicised since March by......most people with a brain.

Well there isn’t if you SD and wear a mask but the majority didn’t so there is a risk, which has been well publicised since March by......most people with a brain.

A mask is not required in an outdoor setting and as far as I could see people were generally social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

When's the green list due to be released?

fritzelly wrote: »

Summer 2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Supposed to be this evening. For what it’s worth at this stage.

Until I see evidence of an outdoor cluster in Ireland I have no issue with it.

I have no major issue with it, my point is... You cannot say one gathering is wrong while another is okay because of X reason.

That is my only point here. Either all outdoor crowds are to be condemned, or none are. It seems like there are easy targets and others we are not allowed complain about.

BLM protest - grand, sure aren't they just protesting somebodies death.

Dame Lane - bad... Those pesky millennials, hope they are happy when they kill their grandparents.

Charlton send off - grand, sure wasn't he great.

Teenagers hanging around in large groups - bad.. have they no cop on.

A mask is not required in an outdoor setting and as far as I could see people were generally social distancing.

But they weren’t look at the joe.ie video. Very little SD.
    Anyway enjoy this thread, since I’ve last logged on I see the virus of shouting people down and The policy of positivity for everything has finally taken over.
    Best of luck all.

But they weren’t look at the joe.ie video. Very little SD.
    Anyway enjoy this thread, since I’ve last logged on I see the virus of shouting people down and The policy of positivity for everything has finally taken over.
    Best of luck all.

Cheerio, enjoy the nice weather. I'm off for a walk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40019222.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’m surprised Italy maybe on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

I have no major issue with it, my point is... You cannot say one gathering is wrong while another is okay because of X reason.

That is my only point here. Either all outdoor crowds are to be condemned, or none are. It seems like there are easy targets and others we are not allowed complain about.

BLM protest - grand, sure aren't they just protesting somebodies death.

Dame Lane - bad... Those pesky millennials, hope they are happy when they kill their grandparents.

Charlton send off - grand, sure wasn't he great.

Teenagers hanging around in large groups - bad.. have they no cop on.

A group of one or two hundred people gathering out of millions in the country at our current rate of infection, is statistically highly unlikely to affect anyone. So when there is one specific unusual event like a protest or some localised memorial that is not repeated, it's unlikely to have an impact on the numbers. We've seen that borne out, the BLM protests had basically no impact (it also helps that there was a pretty high level of mask wearing in their case)

Groups outside pubs or teenagers hanging out in large groups are more indicative of a problem because it's unlikely to be just one pub or just one group of teenagers in the whole country - if that behaviour is normalised then suddenly you have tens or hundreds of thousands of people not social distancing around the country and that starts to become a real problem statistically.

quokula wrote: »
    A group of one or two hundred people gathering out of millions in the country at our current rate of infection, is statistically highly unlikely to affect anyone. So when there is one specific unusual event like a protest or some localised memorial that is not repeated, it's unlikely to have an impact on the numbers. We've seen that borne out, the BLM protests had basically no impact (it also helps that there was a pretty high level of mask wearing in their case)

Groups outside pubs or teenagers hanging out in large groups are more indicative of a problem because it's unlikely to be just one pub or just one group of teenagers in the whole country - if that behaviour is normalised then suddenly you have tens or hundreds of thousands of people not social distancing around the country and that starts to become a real problem statistically.

People will jump through serious hoops to defend the gatherings they like versus the ones they don't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

What does it matter? It's pointless

If they're not going to follow up on people quarantining then why are they even posting a "green" list?

It's all window dressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ah stop will ya! It’s not one metre there, look at the joe.ie video.
    There’s people shouting and singing which spreads COVID more efficiently.
    As I said it’s not great from a containing the virus point of view.

Yes, but for the last few months there have been gatherings outside of various sorts, with probably less than 1m in most cases, and plenty of shouting and singing. And despite the virus' point of view, it hasn't materialised into any significant quantities of cases.

Hence majority view that outside is broadly very low risk, and inside in confined spaces for periods of time the bigger risk. Except for pubs, they have been scientifically proven not to spread the virus so I am happy going there as often as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

ShineOn7 wrote: »

If they're not going to follow up on people quarantining then why are they even posting a "green" list?

It's all window dressing
    Or if we’re not allowed travel to countries with a lower rate than us without this quarantine rubbish then why are they even posting a “green” list. Paddy knows best I guess. Europe getting on with things whilst we are stuck in the dark again. We e replaced the church with NPHET and the mad scientist.

Dashboard saying only 7 people in ICU. That’s great news

Good ole Gerry raising his head above water again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Varadkar is now saying that the green list shouldn't be published and it's wrong to send mixed messages. His party were the ones that put the wheels in motion for it in the first place. He seems determined to stir sh!t and cause havok, he's an absolute gowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Good ole Gerry raising his head above water again!
    That's restrained for him, "understanding the frustration"! He'd still have us at Phase 1 in pursuit of Zero COVID!

s1ippy wrote: »
    Varadkar is now saying that the green list shouldn't be published and it's wrong to send mixed messages. His party were the ones that put the wheels in motion for it in the first place. He seems determined to stir sh!t and cause havok, he's an absolute gowl.
    Nah, that's just Leo wondering aloud. I think the government want it to happen but there will be robust discussion about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Or, the green list makes utterly no sense when you have the government telling people not to travel. Either its acceptable to go to these places or it isn't. A green list right now, with the government's current stance on travel is contradictory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nah, that's just Leo wondering aloud. I think the government want it to happen but there will be robust discussion about it!

Like fúck it is.

That is Leo hedging his bets, because if it goes títs up he can pull out that quote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I 100% agree that it shouldn't be published and is totally contradictory. My problem is Varadkar interjecting like a swot as if he has all the answers. It won't be published, in all likelihood, which will lead to more hatred of FF and he's making sure he's on the right side of the fence. I actually hate him profusely though so I'm biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

What he said was what's the point of a green list
    if it's for essential travel only.
    He clearly stated that he wants the green list but for all travelers.
    Tipically the media taking what he said out of context

Boggles wrote: »
    Like fúck it is.

That is Leo hedging his bets, because if it goes títs up he can pull out that quote.
    Well, it's one of those notions that people would be happy not to see happen. It's not going to cause as much grief as the missing school plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Disgraceful scenes in Walkinstown.

This is why the Irish people can't be trusted

I've seen a good few people now call what happened in Walkinstown 'disgraceful' or words to that extent.

This has got me thinking....... When will it be okay in certain peoples eyes to gather in ways like we saw in Walkinstown?

When (if) we get a vaccine? Maybe that would satisfy the majority of the people who are wary (and I'm not denying for one second that we all should be wary) but I would still say there would be cohort of people who would be disgusted by scenes like today in Walkinstown for a very very long time into the future regardless. This virus has scarred the psyche of society. IMHO there is a section of people who will never be comfortable in a large group setting.

I find this very depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They should only have less-desirable countries on the green list. Like Yemen, DRC, North Korea and Afghanistan.

I would hope that would stave off people from travelling, but I wouldn't underestimate the lunacy of some to still want to travel.

"Do ya see this Jacinta? Flights and seven nights inclusive in Pyongyang. Deadly deal that is".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dashboard saying only 7 people in ICU. That’s great news

Probably time me to limit Covid treatment to a small number of hospitals to allow routine healthcare services to return to normal levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

ShineOn7 wrote: »

It's all window dressing

I wouldn't assume that everyone won't self isolate - if I have employees going on vacation, they won't be coming back into the office if their destination is not green...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Knowing Jack Charlton, he certainly wouldn't have been happy with the scenes today.

**** me, people can't even go to immediate families funerals because of government guidelines, yet we can have a massive piss up gathering for someone they've never even met. Pathetic. Idiotic. As I said, Jack Charlton certainly would not have been happy.

LATEST TESTING UPDATE

Tests conducted last 24hrs: 6640
    Tests conducted last 7 days: 51128
    Positive tests last 24hrs: 14
    Positivity rate last 7 days: 0.3%

• Advertisement

FF starting to make Leo look like Fintan on the restrictions thread

14 positive tests from 6640 tests done not bad again today 0.3% positivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

LATEST TESTING UPDATE

Are they still costing the government €200 a test? That's €10million in a week, surely some Irish company can get this gig if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

LATEST TESTING UPDATE

Great numbers. No doubt they still have a few backlog cases to add into the numbers if things are looking too positive. :)

LATEST TESTING UPDATE

Probably 20+ cases today..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Should the 20+ cases from the construction site not be out in todays figures?

• Advertisement

Probably 20+ cases today..

There was 44 positive tests saturday and sunday despite only 16 reported so i wouldnt be surprised

PopTarts wrote: »
    Should the 20+ cases from the construction site not be out in todays figures?

They were included Friday Dublin was +25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Me_Grapes wrote: »
    This has got me thinking....... When will it be okay in certain peoples eyes to gather in ways like we saw in Walkinstown?

I find this very depressing.

Was a somewhat interesting segment on Drivetime yesterday with an epidemiologist/public health person from NZ (Michael Barker) discussing their actions. As I'm sure has been discussed before many times, they have adopted an "elimination" policy with fairly draconian restrictions on inward travel (forced quarantines).

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21806149

He said that there was some opposition to + anger with the policy in NZ as it has wiped out their tourism/travel industry but they now have Covid-19 eliminated, domestic economy functioning fully again - no ppe, no social distancing requirements on business, all events & gatherings can take place again as before. General conclusion was it has been worth it (for them).

It sounded attractive to me...but I don't either work in travel/tourism [which would effectively be sacrificed], or want to regularly fly abroad for family or work reasons. It did make me wonder will more countries/regions will try and go this route if they have capability & any vaccine or other magic bullet is taking a very long time?

They discussed applicability to Ireland and his conclusion was due to NI it is only workable if ourselves and UK agreed to do it together which even if we were open to it appears politically impossible (given Brexit, ideology of current leadership of the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I see that the number of community test referrals was tiny yesterday (lower even than the weekend).

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard-21-july-2020.pdf

They must have completed the nursing home retesting now, and the actual number of people with symptoms looking for a test is very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I see that the number of community test referrals was tiny yesterday (lower even than the weekend).

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard-21-july-2020.pdf

They must have completed the nursing home retesting now, and the actual number of people with symptoms looking for a test is very small.

They haven't - got our delivery of this weeks swabs yesterday. Being collected on Thursday

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement