Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Arghus wrote: »
    I really don't think NPHET is fiddling numbers to keep us all living in fear. First of all, I don't think they're that calculating or powerful and what possible benefit is there to do doing that?

It's a ludicrous conspiracy theory.

Complex systems breed this kind of stuff though. The reporting of numbers is an immense operation and is only as strong as the weakest link. There will ALWAYS be 'the weekend effect' (seen in every country) and jitter. Daily reported cases have no bearing for lay people and should pay more attention to the 3 and 5 day averages for a general picture of how things are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

GAA looking for an exemption from the 200 crowd size. If they get it why shouldn't everybody? I'm quite disgusted that they are even looking for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

The main thing anyway today is 0 deaths. Great to see it again and our hospitals are nearly empty.

Seems like vulnerable persons are taking precautions and the age bracket of new cases is lower? Spain is managing well too despite increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    GAA looking for an exemption from the 200 crowd size. If they get it why shouldn't everybody? I'm quite disgusted that they are even looking for this.

Yeah, I don't get that either. Surely that rule is designed exactly for those type of situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Probably the most ridiculous thing to date is the GAA being back at all. If they want schools back it's a silly decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I won't be overly worried until we see a significant upward trend in hospital and in particular ICU admissions.

At the moment those are extremely low thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

El Sueño wrote: »
    I won't be overly worried until we see a significant upward trend in hospital and in particular ICU admissions.

Exponential rise doesn't give much time to escalate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Santy2015 wrote: »
    It’s to suit the narrative of NPHET.
    These cases were known over the weekend. 44 positive tests over the weekend why not just announce them yesterday.
    All about the schools opening in September. We ain’t seeing no relaxation of restrictions until at least then. The holiday subsidy isn’t happening until September. All these things add up. They don’t want people moving and gathering anywhere.

The CMO even indicated today's figures would be higher than yesterday. He could have said we don't know until we receive the data but he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Those won't really kick in until it's older people getting infected though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wife was in the coombe today. Full corridors, no seating for patients, no social distancing. No staff seemed to care, shrug of the shoulders and 'ah sure look'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Probably the most ridiculous thing to date is the GAA being back at all. If they want schools back it's a silly decision.

What the hell is wrong with 500 people standing in the open air and getting a bit of relief to go watch a game of hurling or football.if we get this much awaited 2nd wave and we’re all locked down again the government will have a hard sell next time round.seems you can have countless people indoors in shopping centres and that’s grand but feck it,it’s lethal to be out in the fresh air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I guess it's a one size of all guidance at the moment but I wouldn't see any reason why they couldn't have more people provided they were split up and didn't go over 200 in those sections. Just need to have different entrances and exits or stagger entrance times so people don't congregate going in or out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Were people not getting sick of stating yesterday that there was no delay of reporting usually on Monday, and now saying they are sick of the backlog?

redmgar wrote: »
    Were people not getting sick of stating yesterday that there was no delay of reporting usually on Monday, and now saying they are sick of the backlog?

Separate issues. The backlog is not related to weekends.

I think its fair to say that no one on here is an expert and has a clue whats going to happen, much like the rest of the country. Some people are using the same stats to show a doomsday scenario as the stats people are using to show its much ado about nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Not defending them but who do you mean by everybody. Do you mean other sports. Gaa should easily accommodate far more than 200 people.

Separate issues. The backlog is not related to weekends.
    But are the high numbers usually a Tuesday and Wednesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ficheall wrote: »
    Those won't really kick in until it's older people getting infected though.
    That shouldn't happen now that care homes are doing things right. The rate in the community is very low in comparison to where we were in March or April and linked to known clusters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The issue is that there has been a delay in reporting positive tests over the last 2 weeks, it is not a weekend issue and has happened last Thursday and the previous Tuesday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Why ?

The virus is almost eliminated in Italy, they've done a great job ..

People have some strangely misled belief that Italy was by far the most affected country on earth second to none and that it continues to be a hotspot. Several countries have higher levels of deaths per capita than Italy, many others have a similar level , and Italy has one of the lowest number of daily cases and deaths per capita in Europe for weeks now too.

I think everyone is still just shook by the coffin army convoy pics in February

• Advertisement

Just last 2 weeks.

Just last 2 weeks.

I wonder if they have began to bulk report clusters (as in report all of a clusters cases at once), that actually makes sense if theyre doing that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I wonder if they have began to bulk report clusters (as in report all of a clusters cases at once), that actually makes sense if theyre doing that

That would make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

boggerman1 wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with 500 people standing in the open air and getting a bit of relief to go watch a game of hurling or football.if we get this much awaited 2nd wave and we’re all locked down again the government will have a hard sell next time round.seems you can have countless people indoors in shopping centres and that’s grand but feck it,it’s lethal to be out in the fresh air.

It’s not the spectators it’s the players. Have heard of 2 cases locally with players coming back from holidays and straight back to playing and testing positive for covid19.

That could be an explanation for sure. We probably will never know. Be great to get the CMO on here for 30 mins to do a Q&A.

At least with the 14 positive tests yesterday we are not storing up any large backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

bb1234567 wrote: »
    People have some strangely misled belief that Italy was by far the most affected country on earth second to none and that it continues to be a hotspot. Several countries have higher levels of deaths per capita than Italy, many others have a similar level , and Italy has one of the lowest number of daily cases and deaths per capita in Europe for weeks now too.

I think everyone is still just shook by the coffin army convoy pics in February

It was really just Lombardy and one or two neighbouring regions that bore the brunt, large sections of the country, mostly further south, remained largely untouched. I dont know if they fully understand why, the north is the industry centre so maybe something to do with it. But italy did ok considering they got virtually sucker punched, they have good health service and learned a lot of lessons that others could then take on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,728 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A man talking sense

Funny thing being a journalist using the 3 day total numbers a little while ago to try and make it seem it was getting really bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's a travesty that GAA has been allowed to resume at all. These are not professional players so it can't be compared to football or any other professional sport that has resumed. Those professional players are being strictly kept in bubbles and have low circles of close contacts.

GAA players are amateurs and also have day jobs and as such are likely to have wide ranging social circles. As they are amateurs you have to trust that they'll be responsible in terms of their movements but that simply is not going to happen.

I can see GAA activities being suspended indefinitely again. What has started as a trickle of clubs that have had to suspend activities will gradually turn into a deluge. Pointless that amateur players are being risked so that the GAA can salvage it's balance sheet position a little for the rest of the year.

Also, the crowds of 200 are not being adhered to as more people are turning up and finding ways into grounds than have paid for tickets. Social distancing amongst spectators is also non existent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭AUDI20

Bear in mind that the 200 includes both Teams and Subs, Management, Medical Personnell. Game Officials and Groundsmen, Stewards ect. leaving about approx 100 actual spectators in an open air environment in stadiums that even the smallest holds a capacity of more than 8000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

People need to stop shíttíng themselves and bawling conspiracy theory over the daily figures. No one on here has the same level of data as public health officials do.

Like NPHET are wumming the nation with a yo yo of emotions.

Monday 6 - Brilliant. :D
    Tuesday 36 - We are Doomed. :mad:

Look at the 7/14 day averages, they are grand, calm the fúck down, wear a mask and wash your hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The GAA are lucky that spectators are in at all. Most PROFESSIONAL sports that have resumed across Europe are strictly behind closed doors.

fritzelly wrote: »
    A man talking sense

Funny thing being a journalist using the 3 day total numbers a little while ago to try and make it seem it was getting really bad

3 days average is absolute nonsense, I stopped reading at that.

thelad95 wrote: »
    It's a travesty that GAA has been allowed to resume at all. These are not professional players so it can't be compared to football or any other professional sport that has resumed. Those professional players are being strictly kept in bubbles and have low circles of close contacts.

GAA players are amateurs and also have day jobs and as such are likely to have wide ranging social circles. As they are amateurs you have to trust that they'll be responsible in terms of their movements but that simply is not going to happen.

I can see GAA activities being suspended indefinitely again. What has started as a trickle of clubs that have had to suspend activities will gradually turn into a deluge. Pointless that amateur players are being risked so that the GAA can salvage it's balance sheet position a little for the rest of the year.

Also, the crowds of 200 are not being adhered to as more people are turning up and finding ways into grounds than have paid for tickets. Social distancing amongst spectators is also non existent.

I’ve been back playing for the last 3 weeks and think its going fantastic tbh

Edit: also all clubs that stopped play tested negative and are back playing

Boggles wrote: »
    3 days average is absolute nonsense, I stopped reading at that.

Just as well that was the last line then

Just as well that was the last line then

No it wasn't.

Boggles wrote: »
    No it wasn't.

Oh so you read yestedays tweet as well then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

niallo27 wrote: »
    Not defending them but who do you mean by everybody. Do you mean other sports. Gaa should easily accommodate far more than 200 people.

Yes, other sports, concerts, wedding venues etc could accommodate more than 200 as well.
    Unfortunately it is a one size fits all at the moment and the GAA should be no more of an exception than anybody else.

• Advertisement

Oh so you read yestedays tweet as well then

I have no idea what you are talking about. I got to the part of 3 day average saw there was more below it and scrolled past it.

You are over thinking it lad.

3 day average is absolute nonsense.

That was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭AUDI20

thelad95 wrote: »

Have you been to any GAA Matches, or is this just a personnel rant. the matches I have been at were very well restricted re numbers, and any few pockets are usually members of the same family sitting together. tickets are located to the clubs and only ticket holders are admitted. This is all done in an open air environment where risk of infection is much lower, you'd have better odds of winning the lotto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Wife was in the coombe today. Full corridors, no seating for patients, no social distancing. No staff seemed to care, shrug of the shoulders and 'ah sure look'

In a hospital?

That's a fcuking disgrace

Did you ask for a senior manager to complain to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

That's pretty bad given how many healthcare workers recently tested positive

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know why no journalist has asked about this in the briefings yet. Basic stuff, they should be asking about it.

Because journalist of the year Zara King is allowed waste people's time with the questions that matter instead

If she doesn't win the World Association of Newspapers' Golden Pen Award this year then what was it all for?

She truly is a national treasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Had heard that staff in there and other "non covid" hospitals also aren't wearing masks.

Not sure how true it is though but you'd imagine masks would be required in any healthcare setting.

Even my local gp is kitted up like darth vader these days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Once again, Dublin is the issue

https://twitter.com/Corktod/status/1285538182793236486?s=19
    This Dublin?

Don't they follow after high case numbers though?

Or have treatments improved that much since April?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Because journalist of the year Zara King is allowed waste people's time with the questions that matter instead

If she doesn't win the World Association of Newspapers' Golden Pen Award this year then what was it all for?

She truly is a national treasure

You most certainly have a massive issue with Zara,your previous very personal attack on her was very promptly removed.

Had heard that staff in there and other "non covid" hospitals also aren't wearing masks.

What are the non Covid hospitals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

s1ippy wrote: »
    This morning, Walkinstown.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement