Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Had heard that staff in there and other "non covid" hospitals also aren't wearing masks.

Not sure how true it is though but you'd imagine masks would be required in any healthcare setting.

Even my local gp is kitted up like darth vader these days.

It's true, minority of staff not wearing masks, masks are enforced on patients though. The hospital has not been busy for months (shes due next month), today was the first time it was truly pre-covid 'busy'.

She complained to management but also hit up the HSE when she got home. I wouldnt be surprised hearing about more hospital clusters if this is the normal practice across the board. She's frustrated and a little afraid of going back now after her experience there, but she has to (and also the bus back was full downstairs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What are the non Covid hospitals?

Hospitals where there are no official covid patients apparently.

Some hospitals like Tallaght, Naas etc have dedicated covid and icu wards specifically for covid patients.

Given asymptomatic cases and the fact that masks are required in shops and on buses you'd think that all hospital staff would be wearing them but I've spoken to a couple of people who have said they aren't. The Coombe and Crumlin were two hospitals that were mentioned but again could be untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

xtal191 wrote: »
    Cause of this is my guess

That's an amazing video
    • The perm haircuts
    • The dodgy mustaches
    • The euphoria of that win
    • The cars at first beeping people out of the way but then beeping in appreciation of the celebraion

Not sure how I'm only seeing this now

RIP Jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Apparently RTE2FM posted a video of crowds out in tribute In Walkinston but it was swiftly deleted due to all the comments about lack of social distancing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Hospitals where there are no official patients apparently.

Some hospitals like Tallaght, Naas etc have dedicated covid and icu wards specifically for covid patients.

Given asymptomatic cases and the fact that masks are required in shops and on buses you'd think that all hospital staff would be wearing them but I've spoken to a couple of people who have said they aren't. The Coombe and Crumlin were two hospitals that were mentioned but again could be untrue.

There is a HSE guideline on the use of masks for staff but ultimately it comes down to the choice of the staff member - Don't ask my why it isn't an absolute must if providing care within 2 meters of a person or entering 2 meter space of any other person for a period of time. Don't ask my why staff don't want to protect themselves or others.

This paired with structural changes to how the COVID related sick pay scheme has changed for healthcare workers is going to breed clusters in healthcare settings. The changes just encourage staff to ignore any respiratory symptoms and not get tested.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As the 19th edition draws to a close, a reminder of the sort of thing we were concerned about 19 weeks ago today:
    I dont know if its been mentioned, and tbh im not arsed checking back about 50 pages, The 3rd floor in the Clayton hotel Clonshaugh has been sealed off. Staff were texted this morning.

Staff were told to come in as normal. My sister said its an air hostess that possibly has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Beasty wrote: »
    As the 19th edition draws to a close, a reminder of the sort of thing we were concerned about 19 weeks ago today:

Can we all give out about air hostesses now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

And yet the rest of the country are being punished for it.

Because nobody from outside Dublin ever enters or leaves Dublin. Unless you want to start treating each county like their own fiefdom, quit your whining. We're in this as a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

Beasty wrote: »

So long 19th thread, I’m betting 19 more!

Miike wrote: »
    There is a HSE guideline on the use of masks for staff but ultimately it comes down to the choice of the staff member - Don't ask my why it isn't an absolute must if providing care within 2 meters of a person or entering 2 meter space of any other person for a period of time. Don't ask my why staff don't want to protect themselves or others.

This paired with structural changes to how the COVID related sick pay scheme has changed for healthcare workers is going to breed clusters in healthcare settings. The changes just encourage staff to ignore any respiratory symptoms and not get tested.

This is unbelievable

Like, how and why are we messing up on things like this and tests for known contacts not being compulsory?

We're a soft nation with soft leaders and we have been like this for far too long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thanks for all the info forum, look forward to next thread.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A man in my local North cork town, about 2k people told me his wife tested positive, had Pneumonia in early March.

That's 4 people i know of locally and you can be certain a lot more had it but never said.

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Danzy wrote: »
    A man in my local North cork town, about 2k people told me his wife tested positive, had Pneumonia in early March.

That's 4 people i know of locally and you can be certain a lot more had it but never said.

I

You can check cases by electoral division using the hub

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

snowgal wrote: »
    So long 19th thread, I’m betting 19 more!

Not a chance we'll get 19 more threads as fast though. Thankfully!

Mind you, this one seemed to fly by faster than thread 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Thread XXX by the end of october

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Had heard that staff in there and other "non covid" hospitals also aren't wearing masks.

Not sure how true it is though but you'd imagine masks would be required in any healthcare setting.

I can report that staff in the medical records section (not wards) of a large hosp that I won't name, do not wear masks.

They may wear them when going to wards, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

All hospitals have/had this, and are capable of reverting back to dedicated wards if necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Geuze wrote: »
    I can report that staff in the medical records section (not wards) of a large hosp that I won't name, do not wear masks.

They may wear them when going to wards, yes.

And this is why we have the highest case of hcw infected in the world.

There is some truly reckless and inept people making decisions in the hse.

I

My mam had her blood oxygen levels tested last december,seemed there was a spate of cases locally similar low blood oxygen and dry coughs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Why are we even bragging about 0 deaths, the cases are only being diagnosed now really?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Probably mentioned already,nightly entertainment, Trump relaunching his corona virus briefings from tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

mloc123 wrote: »
    People will jump through serious hoops to defend the gatherings they like versus the ones they don't...

And some people don't understand simple numbers and risk management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Why are we even bragging about 0 deaths, the cases are only being diagnosed now really?

More relief than bragging, I'd have thought - most of the recent cases being under-45s partially explains the better outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

To give a bit of perspective for those saying global covid deaths are overestimated, it seems it's an entirely opposite situation in most other countries . Mexico City had reported around 14,000 excess deaths in the months of April and May(2x times more deaths than usual,similar to New York and Lombardy), its official covid death toll was only 4000 for the city by the end of May .

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/mexico-city-coronavirus-excess-death-toll/2020/07/02/2baaab3e-bbbb-11ea-80b9-40ece9a701dc_story.html%3foutputType=amp

My mam had her blood oxygen levels tested last december,seemed there was a spate of cases locally similar low blood oxygen and dry coughs

What's your point? I'm guessing it's that they had covid in December?

If that was the case it would have been known long before the official first case here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I

Why did 2k people need to tell you?

I reckon we'll have 100+ cases in a day in about 2-3 weeks.

petes wrote: »

If that was the case it would have been known long before the official first case here.

Mate,most people in my area was laid low by a horrendous cough/flu and several pneumonias about before xmas......doctor was shooting in dark as several similar cases shown up of low blood oxygen.....noone had even heard of cv19 then

There has been 1 case of cv19 in my parish confirmed since testing began in march

Doubt we will make it to october without shutting down again

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52526554

This might have been disproven since, I haven't looked into it but at the time, how many people were moving through France and into Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I reckon we wont even get close to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

boggerman1 wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with 500 people standing in the open air and getting a bit of relief to go watch a game of hurling or football.if we get this much awaited 2nd wave and we’re all locked down again the government will have a hard sell next time round.seems you can have countless people indoors in shopping centres and that’s grand but feck it,it’s lethal to be out in the fresh air.

Nevermind the spectators, that's not the issue. A panel of 30 lads training in close enough contact and playing games against another 30 lads is a risk not worth taking. Then you have the cascading effect through the league. And of course all the ladies and juvenile teams training aswell. Was watching underage training the weekend and they could not be kept apart.

Then they are going home to their families 3 times a week and into their workplaces each day, some of them frontline. The risk grows exponentially with each movement.

I cannot see a single county league not suffer disruption due to one player having to self isolate or a family member of a player catching Covid.

The main priority is schools returning so GAA should fall behind that. I've pulled out of club for this year and a close relative who plays intercounty the same. GAA is recreational and therefore should be parked for this year at least.

If the priority is to get schools open, park GAA and contact sports for now. Otherwise we are multiplying the risk is spades.

I reckon we wont even get close to that

I hope you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

bb1234567 wrote: »
    To give a bit of perspective for those saying global covid deaths are overestimated, it seems it's an entirely opposite situation in most other countries . Mexico City had reported over 27,300 excess deaths in the months of April and May, its official covid death toll was only 4000 for the city by the end of May .

If even a fifth of the excess deaths are unreported covid deaths which is probably a very conservative guess it still means less than half of the deaths in Mexico are being officially reported .
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/mexico-city-coronavirus-excess-death-toll/2020/07/02/2baaab3e-bbbb-11ea-80b9-40ece9a701dc_story.html%3foutputType=amp

That's not right. The 27,300 figure is the total deaths in Mexico City for that period. Only about half of that number was the excess. Still though that's almost 3.5 times the reported figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ineedaname wrote: »
    That's not right. The 27,300 figure is the total deaths in Mexico City for that period. Only about half of that number was the excess. Still though that's almost 3.5 times the reported figure.

Oh jeez big error by me, edited my original post now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Guess stories like this will get more common. Hope it's caught early and none of the kids get it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0721/1154738-creche/

I hope you're right.

There’s nothing to suggest we’ll get close to that, it there was massive growth we would’ve seen it by now

So is there a weekend lag or not, it was said on here yesterday that there wasn't and if that's the case then these are all new cases found yesterday?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Guess stories like this will get more common. Hope it's caught early and none of the kids get it.

It seems there’s a lot of clusters popping up in Dublin, not many elsewhere which is interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Probably mentioned already,nightly entertainment, Trump relaunching his corona virus briefings from tonight.

Yip, he was saying the other day they were great for ratings.

He didn't actually mention the virus.

Apparently he is going to inject toilet duck into Mike Pence tonight live to prove ChyNA! and Joe Biden created the virus to hurt his reelection Bigly!

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why did 2k people need to tell you?

I'm very cynical and need a lot of convincing.

Mate,most people in my area was laid low by a horrendous cough/flu and several pneumonias about before xmas......doctor was shooting in dark as several similar cases shown up of low blood oxygen.....noone had even heard of cv19 then

There has been 1 case of cv19 in my parish confirmed since testing began in march

Don't believe it for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There’s nothing to suggest we’ll get close to that, it there was massive growth we would’ve seen it by now

Just because we haven't seen it by now doesn't mean that it's impossible.

People seem to be very fond of calling things definitively very early in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

And MM expects all schools reopen back in September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yeah, we were told yesterday that a range of workplaces are seeing new instances, absolutely nothing unusual about it if the virus is increasing in the community, no where is immune.

But sure, they were just trying to scare us to wear masks according to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It seems there’s a lot of clusters popping up in Dublin, not many elsewhere which is interesting

I guess population along would make it more likely and then more construction sites, retailers etc there than other counties. But wouldn't be surprised to see clusters elsewhere over next while.

Arghus wrote: »
    Just because we haven't seen it by now doesn't mean that it's impossible.

People seem to be very fond of calling things definitively very early in this.

Poster never mentioned 'definitively' anywhere.

No one said it's impossible.

Stop taking what people post and paraphrasing it in such a way that it suits you.

Don't believe it for a second.

A lot were, no idea why you find it so hard to believe.

We know the disease was here at least since mid December. In other parts of Europe it may well have been there since November.

We know that it was wide spread in Northern Italy in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    And MM expects all schools reopen back in September

MM knows that's not happening he just can't say it yet.

I know of two separate health care workers who have sustained medium term lung damage due to Covid19 and one 29 year old woman who now moves like a 40 a day smoker after completing 3 marathons last year post catching the virus in April.

Teachers aren't going to expose themselves to a high risk environment and I don't blame them in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

So is there a weekend lag or not, it was said on here yesterday that there wasn't and if that's the case then these are all new cases found yesterday?

Townsend Street building site, one presumes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement