Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is that Nationwide or Cork or Galway?

Nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

And that exactly is why we have no confirmed cases from air travel.

If Ryanair was Iranian though we would know. We know that people brought it back from Italy after ski holidays. Where is Ryanair's biggest hub in Europe? Oh yeah Bergamo. Not rocket science lads.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-52537663/coronavirus-by-air-the-spread-of-covid-19-in-the-middle-east

https://www.anna.aero/2016/09/12/milanbergamo-is-ryanairs-biggest-base-in-mainland-europe/

518494.jpg

I assume those people got it from close contacts at resort and not on return flight. Either way it would be very difficult to prove. I haven't heard of any cases taken against an airline yet and would think very few if any would have a chance of being successful

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

3 deaths and 6 new cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

And that exactly is why we have no confirmed cases from air travel.

If Ryanair was Iranian though we would know. We know that people brought it back from Italy after ski holidays. Where is Ryanair's biggest hub in Europe? Oh yeah Bergamo. Not rocket science lads.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-52537663/coronavirus-by-air-the-spread-of-covid-19-in-the-middle-east

https://www.anna.aero/2016/09/12/milanbergamo-is-ryanairs-biggest-base-in-mainland-europe/

518494.jpg

Oh and what are the main destinations from Bergamo? It's a Spain.

That's shocking epicentre's airport main destination is to country worst hit in Europe. Shocking stuff. I can't quite see a pattern myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Israel is a country that had the virus totally under control 3 weeks a go, not now :/

https://twitter.com/FrankmcnallyIT/status/1278260685831647233

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Is that Nationwide or Cork or Galway?

Nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

WHO have told Irish citizen not to travel, NPHET says not to travel and the Government said again today not to travel.
    The advice is clearly for Irish people not to travel there isn't anything ambiguous about it.

It is absolutely full of ambiguity. Government - travel if you want but we advise against non essential travel to countries of low incidence of Covid 19.
    NPHET - don't travel, get out of bed or even dare go outside until we get to zero, we really really want to beat New Zealand...
    Airlines - we are allowed to travel, want to pay the price of a train ticket to sit on a beach in the sun?

Heard a WHO doctor yesterday on the radio saying air travel would be safe to certain areas so that's clearly not true.
    Where is NPHET's guidelines for airports to reopen instead of Dr Tony trying to be Minister of Foreign Affairs, Transport, Health, and it seems now Tourism also.
    The Government and a TD on the radio today clearly said NPHET's advice is just that - advice. The quarantine here isn't even law, and people can currently fly in from the US and just get a friendly phonecall, which quite a large amount of people it seems aren't even answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Israel is a country that had the virus totally under control 3 weeks a go, not now :/

https://twitter.com/FrankmcnallyIT/status/1278260685831647233

Can you not find a country who didn't f*ck up as bad as the US did to compare us to?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Its actually really impressive with only 6 cases from nearly 5000 tests, positivity rate of about .1%

• Advertisement

Great to see Ireland's positive test rate so low here

Corona-Warning-System-for-Europe_Complexitiy-Science-Hub-Vienna-875x1024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

is_that_so wrote: »
    3 deaths and 6 new cases

So the spike on Monday was pretty much due to 1 cluster in a large family

Eod100 wrote: »
    I assume those people got it from close contacts at resort and not on return flight. Either way it would be very difficult to prove. I haven't heard of any cases taken against an airline yet and would think very few if any would have a chance of being successful

Could be of course. Very strange that such a small town in Europe became an epicentre before everyone. It's a sh!tbox of an airport and passengers are crammed like sardines waiting for the flight and boarding. In need of major renovation for the number of passengers that go through it. They also have border checks which bunches people up depending on how many guards they have.

Most people hadn't even heard of Bergamo before this. It only has a population of 120K.

518498.jpg

AdamD wrote: »
    So the spike on Monday was pretty much due to 1 cluster in a large family
    Seems to be, that one in the northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Great to see Ireland's positive test rate so low here

Corona-Warning-System-for-Europe_Complexitiy-Science-Hub-Vienna-875x1024.png

Sweden's herd immunity seems to be working grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

The Government and a TD on the radio today clearly said NPHET's advice is just that - advice.

You have answered your own question there. Tony Holohan is not trying to be minister of anything, he is issuing medical guidance to the government and us and his advice is no non essential travel off the Island due to fears of reimporting the virus when people come back. His over riding concern is medical not economical, he wants to make sure the Hospitals are not overrun with cases from people going on holidays especially as other procedures are starting up again.

If anything its the Government thats to blame for the ambiguity here, they dont seem to know what they want to do with travel or just dont want to make a decision, the problem of Its the Economy stupid plays into every decision they make from here on out versus the public health advice which is to not travel versus people like this who dont seem to give a ****.

https://www.98fm.com/podcast/are-you-planning-on-travelling-abroad-despite-health-risks?fbclid=IwAR1cvDInSjH8GwLV2e3uQ3jT7JTITMLyTfOPiOR04ZAHpCB0f81oyuHo8PQ
    A woman named Karen called the show from the airport as she and her family were headed off to Lanzarote today for a month. She was quick to say that she was conscious of the health risks but was going anyway.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Could be of course. Very strange that such a small town in Europe became an epicentre before everyone. It's a sh!tbox of an airport and passengers are crammed like sardines waiting for the flight and boarding. In need of major renovation for the number of passengers that go through it. They also have border checks which bunches people up depending on how many guards they have.

Most people hadn't even heard of Bergamo before this. It only has a population of 120K.

518498.jpg

To be fair, it is also very close to the major city of Milan which has another two airports (One of which is a major international hub with many flights to Asia). The area is densely populated and is the economic centre of Italy and a very wealthy area of Europe in its own right.

I don't think the fact that Ryanair has a base there can be blamed for the fact it became such a bad area in terms of Covid, that airport is not that busy in international terms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Students from third-class up should keep 1m distance between each other in primary school, according to official Department of Education advice:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0701/1150801-schools-education/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

shinzon wrote: »

This is fantastic news for the app and hopefully it will work. We really should be using whatever we can to tackle this virus and if an app helps, that would be fantastic.

Renjit wrote: »

I don't think I'd leave the house if I was in some cities in Sweden right now

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    To be fair, it is also very close to the major city of Milan which has another two airports (One of which is a major international hub with many flights to Asia). The area is densely populated and is the economic centre of Italy and a very wealthy area of Europe in its won right.

I don't thin the fact that Ryanair has a base there can be blamed for the fact it became such a bad area in terms of Covid, that airport is not that busy in international terms

So to take your point the two other airports are Linate and Malpensa.
    Linate is practically in the city. Malpensa is on the outskirts. Bergamo is a separate town albeit joined to Milan.

Why don't you think so?
    Why is it that an Iranian airline can spread it but an Irish one can't?
    I'll admit it's not pleasant to think but it's a mighty coincidence that they have the largest base in mainland Europe in the very town where it got out of control before anywhere.

Renjit wrote: »
    High positivity can also mean they are finding more of it to isolate. We were over 20% for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Students from third-class up should keep 1m distance between each other in primary school, according to official Department of Education advice:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0701/1150801-schools-education/

How is that going to work. The only way I can think of is, say for example there is a class of 30 students. Have 6 children in on Monday, have 6 in on Tuesday, have 6 in on Wednesday, have 6 in on Thursday, have 6 in on Friday. Going by the roll book. The first 6 of the roll book goes in on Monday, and so on.

I don't know how it will work for the teacher training days that usually land on a Friday or a Monday. Some students would miss out on school for that week. Unless of teachers have their training online over the weekends.

I don't know how it will work for secondary schools.

It must be very hard for parents to plan going back to work and not know what's going to happen with childcare and school.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I don't think I'd leave the house if I was in some cities in Sweden right now

Luckily you won't have to! Through the amazing technology of modern air travel someone who visited gotenburd / works on a flight will likely be on our shores in no time! Giving you the very same feeling as if you were breathing that lovely clean Swedish air!

518505.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The daily statement has been released - no weekly recovery update, or new county figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

The daily statement has been released - no weekly recovery update, or new county figures.

I was just about to ask if recovery was still at 92%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Duplicate .. apologies.

Missing the hospital/ICU/healthcare worker numbers for today too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Bergamo is in greater Milan which is the third biggest metro area in the EU. Bergamo's urban area alone has over half a million people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Crazy that the Government's going to ignore the EU recommendation and let US visitors just show up. Self-isolation is a joke, it's only a 'recommendation' - friend asked the local Guards about that as a holiday home family from the US state of George showed up last week and were enjoying the sights. Guard said nothing they can do, till it's a law.

Article in today's times says some large percentage of visiting self-isolators haven't received their check-in phone calls, either. Joke. Irelands like a puppy letting a bigger dog whizzing on him when it comes for standing up for her citizens.

FWIW, I don't think Ireland's had a 'first wave' yet. Very VERY low number of cases compared to similarly sized countries. When they let the US (and UK) come swanning in this summer, then the wave'll hit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement