Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

31 cases associated with travel in June - NPHET to meet tomorrow to review the response to the virus

Hopefully the conversation will focus on how to manage the reopening of travel rather than the hard line. Really feels like there is nothing being done behind the scenes to manage travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Igotadose wrote: »
    Crazy that the Government's going to ignore the EU recommendation and let US visitors just show up. Self-isolation is a joke, it's only a 'recommendation' - friend asked the local Guards about that as a holiday home family from the US state of George showed up last week and were enjoying the sights. Guard said nothing they can do, till it's a law.

Article in today's times says some large percentage of visiting self-isolators haven't received their check-in phone calls, either. Joke. Irelands like a puppy letting a bigger dog whizzing on him when it comes for standing up for her citizens.

FWIW, I don't think Ireland's had a 'first wave' yet. Very VERY low number of cases compared to similarly sized countries. When they let the US (and UK) come swanning in this summer, then the wave'll hit.

Why would either the US or the UK be on our green list?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Why would either the US or the UK be on our green list?

They are on our green list. It's because the travel industry claims to employ so many. I'm sorry, but it's a pandemic and bad things happen. Fewer people traveling here, is better than more people dying here. The HSE hasn't really been all that stressed by Covid versus other health services, and it's not like it inspires confidence even so. That's being mild.

The Government is allowing in visitors. We *can't* keep the UK out, unfortunately, but we COULD keep the US out. Enough US law abiding citizens will choose not to come to their holiday homes. The fewer, the better.

We've chosen not to, per the Times. We should, at a minimum, say no to US visitors and if some find their way in via the UK, Belfast and here, fine, but that'll at least slow the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

owlbethere wrote: »
    The virus came into Ireland from people who travelled. Especially Italy and mid term break.

One of the saddest things I thought about recently. For a lot of the older people in nursing homes who died, they grew up in a different Ireland. Simpler times. Many of them probably never traveled far or abroad. There they were losing their life's from a virus that was brought in from people traveling. I think it's so sad.

In 1916:
    * TB Deaths: 6417
    * Bronchitis and Pneumonia: 6708

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Zonda999 wrote: »
    To be fair, it is also very close to the major city of Milan which has another two airports (One of which is a major international hub with many flights to Asia). The area is densely populated and is the economic centre of Italy and a very wealthy area of Europe in its own right.

I don't think the fact that Ryanair has a base there can be blamed for the fact it became such a bad area in terms of Covid, that airport is not that busy in international terms

I think a lot of people have a bone to pick with Ryanair and are just using it as an excuse to get the boot in.

• Advertisement

schmoo2k wrote: »
    In 1916:

I think you'll find that contagious diseases didn't exist in Ireland until lads brought them back from ski trips in Italy. According to some anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

is_that_so wrote: »
    High positivity can also mean they are finding more of it to isolate. We were over 20% for a bit.

This also means they need to increase testing.

shinzon wrote: »

I hope that figure is incorrect - the source code for the App is on GitHub and its not that much code - also Google did the hard part and published a "Covid" API which does all the tricky proximity stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

schmoo2k wrote: »
    In 1916:

Irrelevant and out of fashion, sorry. We only have BIG SAD for coronavirus deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

faceman wrote: »
    Hopefully the conversation will focus on how to manage the reopening of travel rather than the hard line. Really feels like there is nothing being done behind the scenes to manage travel.

Yeah the new Taoiseach is way too quiet. Say what you want about the last lot. The took decisions and communicated.

Why the fvck did we have to hole away so that someone from the states who paid 4 grand for a holiday has decided to visit his ancestors home so as to not lose out on holiday. He’s been telling people he’s Irish for years so would look foolish now if he didn’t go.

Nothing can go wrong there.

https://twitter.com/gabefin/status/1276595719831511051?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I feel like Roger Federer whose opponent has tried and failed to lob him so here is the smash back to you;

CSO life expectancy statistics; 78.4 years for men, and 82.8 years for women https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/statisticsexplained/birthsdeathsandmarriages/lifeexpectancytables/

Covid statistics https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

It is funny that nowhere at all on that official page of the covid stats do they actually include the median age of deaths, which automatically should raise suspicions. They do include the median age of cases (which is 48 years old btw). We already know that a death "with" covid is counted as a covid death so the figures would've been massaged anyway. Nonetheless, going back searching for some official source of information on average age of deaths (as they make it hard to find for obvious reasons) it appears that 92% of deaths as at mid-May covid "related" were over 65s. Hmm https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcases/

Show me data that contradicts the above and I'll listen. Otherwise, I think it's safe to say from your post history in the covid threads that you are a misery merchant with opinions that can be discounted.

What a nasty post.
    You've likened yourself to a sporting hero while basically saying if your over 65 you may die of this disease but 'shrug' dispensible.

You, and the likes for that post, well showed your true colours there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

So only 13% of people voted in the last election? Stupid tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have a bone to pick with Ryanair and are just using it as an excuse to get the boot in.
    Along with a few treehugger morons in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

How about cultural? Is that enough for you? You probably think that people should wear masks every flu season too don't you? this isn't just a covid thing for you.

What is wrong with you? The ask is put a mask on before entering a shop take it off outside.

Not a big ask to save a life, surely?

I think you'll find that contagious diseases didn't exist in Ireland until lads brought them back from ski trips in Italy. According to some anyway.

I think you’ll find we lived in tenements and terrible life expectancy too. The foreign power that dominated us didn’t help. Glad we are free of that yoke but they are still causing us problems. Specifically Boris’ hubris.

So basically loads of people died of a preventable disease 100 years. Might explain the rising ? I’d be pissed with the government if they allowed us to be constantly be ravished by disease and poverty. Seems like something I could get behind.

Cheap flights to Europe and unamericans on a euro trip. Not so much. Each to their own.
    Let them eat cake.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Along with a few treehugger morons in the mix.

Well **** em. I'll give travel a miss this year but I'm going to Berlin next February come hell or high water.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The travel issues concerns the livelihoods of thousands of people, mainly in the north Dublin area around Swords. Those calling for a complete end to travel should bear this in mind.

Irrelevant and out of fashion, sorry. We only have BIG SAD for coronavirus deaths.

I thought it was interesting:

Cause of death 1916 Cause of death 2014
    Total deaths 50,627 Total deaths: 29,095
    of which: of which:
    Measles 218 Measles 0
    Scarlet fever 184 Scarlet fever 0
    Whooping cough 525 Whooping cough 0
    Diptheria 200 Diptheria 0
    Influenza 712 Influenza 27
    Tuberculosis 6,471 Tuberculosis 25
    Carcinoma, Sarcoma, Cancer, Malignant Disease 2,679 Malignant neoplasms 8,880
    Diabetes 239 Diabetes 474
    Meningitis and Encephalitis 446 Meningitis 7
    Heart disease 5,373 Heart diseases 5,779
    Bronchitis 4,164 Bronchitis 22
    Pneumonia 2,544 Pneumonia 965
    Accidents of pregnancy and chidbirth, puerperal septic diseases 372 Complications of pregnancy, childbirth and puerperium 2
    Homicide 24 Homicide 31
    Suicide 68 Suicide 459
    Execution 4 Execution 0
    Other violent deaths 1,520 Other external causes of injury and poisoning 1,070

Ref: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-1916/1916irl/bmd/deaths/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

No county data again today. Statement says the COVID-19 dashboard provides most up to date figures. Latest county data on that is 28th June.... cases and deaths still on yesterday’s figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Well **** em. I'll give travel a miss this year but I'm going to Berlin next February come hell or high water.

I’ll give the plane a miss this year. But next year i’ll be visiting family whether people on here or anywhere else like it or not. I’ll even wear a ******** hazmat suit on the plane if needs be .

• Advertisement

I think you’ll find we lived in tenements and terrible life expectancy too. The foreign power that dominated us didn’t help. Glad we are free of that yoke but they are still causing us problems. Specifically Boris’ hubris.

So basically loads of people died of a preventable disease 100 years. Might explain the rising ? I’d be pissed with the government if they allowed us to be constantly be ravished by disease and poverty. Seems like something I could get behind.

Cheap flights to Europe and unamericans on a euro trip. Not so much. Each to their own.
    Let them eat cake.

I don't understand what that has in common with my post. What I meant was people here are laying the blame for the virus coming here at the feet of skiers in Italy. It was going to get here sooner or later and it was most likely here and spreading at that point.

I don't understand what that has in common with my post. What I meant was people here are laying the blame for the virus coming here at the feet of skiers in Italy. It was going to get here sooner or later and it was most likely here and spreading at that point.

Cheltenham seems to excite a lot of people as well.

The travel issues concerns the livelihoods of thousands of people, mainly in the north Dublin area around Swords. Those calling for a complete end to travel should bear this in mind.

Not a complete end. From the US and the UK. Saving thousands of lives across Ireland by reducing the wave when it hits.

Nah if it's not their job it's not their problem. **** em. The disregard and apathy some people have for pilots, nurses, airport staff and business owners throughout Ireland whose jobs are being smashed before their eyes is shocking. I hope they're never in a position where their entire sector is going belly up and there's people all but celebrating it.

Not a complete end. From the US and the UK. Saving thousands of lives across Ireland by reducing the wave when it hits.

Second this.

Just those two countries?

Cheltenham seems to excite a lot of people as well.

Oh god Cheltenham is a c word second only to the female genitalia slang in terms of negativity for some people.

Just those two countries?

The rest of the EU list is fine. Would love to see more Moroccan tourists, even migrants, some good restaurants would be great.

But the US and UK should be blocked from visiting till the virus abates in their countries. Otherwise we're going to get it, and get it bad.

The rest of the EU list is fine. Would love to see more Moroccan tourists, even migrants, some good restaurants would be great.

But the US and UK should be blocked from visiting till the virus abates in their countries. Otherwise we're going to get it, and get it bad.

So Brazil is grand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

So to take your point the two other airports are Linate and Malpensa.
    Linate is practically in the city. Malpensa is on the outskirts. Bergamo is a separate town albeit joined to Milan.

Why don't you think so?
    Why is it that an Iranian airline can spread it but an Irish one can't?
    I'll admit it's not pleasant to think but it's a mighty coincidence that they have the largest base in mainland Europe in the very town where it got out of control before anywhere.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-52537663/coronavirus-by-air-the-spread-of-covid-19-in-the-middle-east

I just don't think the presence of that airport alone can account for the fact it got so bad in Bergamo, the vast vast majority of people using the airport are not visiting Bergamo itself, Ryanair market the airport as "Milan Bergamo", its for the Milan region as a whole, I imagine people fly there and get via whatever transport form to their final destination.

You can certainly make the case that it was one of the main vectors for the disease to the rest of Europe from Northern Italy but again so too probably were the other main transport hiubs out of that region.

It is coincidential as you say it was one of the worst hit places in Europe but keeping in perspective its a very small city so a number of superspreaders could probably account for its spread, which may or may not have anything to do with Ryanair's base there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement