Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

So Brazil is grand?

It's not on the EU list

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The ban on American flights won't happen. Ireland too obsessed and subservient to America. Many Irish see us as the 51st state.

It's why a lot of Irish get so animated about Trump. They actually think they're American.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I don't understand what that has in common with my post. What I meant was people here are laying the blame for the virus coming here at the feet of skiers in Italy. It was going to get here sooner or later and it was most likely here and spreading at that point.

I guess that even after all the explanations of exponential growth you still don't get it.

Each one of those early cases that arrived, before we had our mitigations in place had the potential ( and obviously many did) to result in hundreds of cases here.

Sooner it was, later would have been better. Now that we have our **** together that Silgo situation will fizzle out quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cbb1982

Is there a restriction on time allowed to sit in Cafes under Covid19 guidelines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

No county data again today. Statement says the COVID-19 dashboard provides most up to date figures. Latest county data on that is 28th June.... cases and deaths still on yesterday’s figures.

Would be interested to know if we have seen the last of county by county breakdowns.

Its a tricky situation in terms of confidentiality I admit when numbers are getting very low. In the breakdown per electoral district they do on one of the government data sites, they don;t give the figure at all if its less thna 5 people confirmed positive. I hope they have not decided to stop this practice as we were able to see, given the amount of speculation around the cases in Sligo, the effect these had in the increased numbers reported by county in the past few days.

The cynic in me says the provision of data is dependent on the narrative being pushed at any given time but hopefully this is not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Texas joins Arizona with another record surge today and nearly 7,000 new cases.

An extra 620 new patients have been hospitalised in Texas in the last 24 hours alone bringing the total to 6,533.
    Despite the spike, protesters gathered outside the state capital Tuesday to express their outrage over the continued shut down of bars and restaurants to combat the spread, which CDC officials sources as a substantial factor in the increase among young people.
    HOUSTON-AREA ICUS REACH 102% OF CAPACITY: TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

And on to California...another state, another record

https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1278393569271824384

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I guess that even after all the explanations of exponential growth you still don't get it.

Each one of those early cases that arrived, before we had our mitigations in place had the potential ( and obviously many did) to result in hundreds of cases here.

Sooner it was, later would have been better. Now that we have our **** together that Silgo situation will fizzle out quickly

I understand exponential growth thank you very much so take the preschool teacher tone elsewhere. What I'm saying is this was spreading long before anyone had likely kopped it. While the skiers and Cheltenham didn't help it can't all be blamed on them like some people want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I’m not sure of the current state of play re EU advisories, but if they ban US inward travel, and rightly so, can we unilaterally just go ahead and allow it. I dunno.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Anyone know what the deal is with the HPSC data? The whole dashboard is frozen. David W Higgins goes on holidays and the whole damn system falls apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I understand exponential growth thank you very much so take the preschool teacher tone elsewhere. What I'm saying is this was spreading long before anyone had likely kopped it. While the skiers and Cheltenham didn't help it can't all be blamed on them like some people want to do.

If thats the case why didnt ICUs fill up?
    We would have been noting deaths in nursing homes earlier as well.

Nah if it's not their job it's not their problem. **** em. The disregard and apathy some people have for pilots, nurses, airport staff and business owners throughout Ireland whose jobs are being smashed before their eyes is shocking. I hope they're never in a position where their entire sector is going belly up and there's people all but celebrating it.

Nobodys celebrating, only in your head. Friends of mine own a very sucessful restaurent/Bar. Closed down at their own expense 2 weeks before lockdown as they could see the risk.

Lockdown helped tide them through and keep business afloat/staff paid.

Opening up will likely finish them off as business is down, staff bills stay the same, and general public are being very cautious.

At least when forced to shut bills were paid. Now? Not looking hopeful.

SeaBreezes wrote: »

I'd guess it took time for things to escalate to the point they reached in March and April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

What I'm saying is this was spreading long before anyone had likely kopped it.

Wastewater epidemiology seems to hold out some promise for early detection of flare ups. It also has the advantage of detecting asymptomatic and presymptomatic people.

Apparently you use exactly the same test which is used in peoples noses and throats to detect the viral RNA in wastewater, so no big outlay of costs to initiate this system of testing . I hope someone is communicating with Irish Water about the matter.

"A group in Spain, publishing in Water Research, detected positive wastewater samples in an area more than two weeks prior to any COVID-19 cases being diagnosed there—even in places with low prevalence. That early warning could give policy makers a guide for when to lift or reinstate strict shelter-in-place measures. “If it starts spiking up again in certain locations, as we start opening cities, that feedback is going to be really important,” Matus says."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/to-spot-future-coronavirus-flare-ups-search-the-sewers/

Its a reasonable question based on the fact they have found traces of Covid in France and Italy in December 2019. Based on that, you would imagine it can;t have been long after that when it got here but we didn't get our first confirmed case until February 29th

Regardless of that though, there was plenty calls for lockdown in the weeks before we actually did so in mid March and looking at the surge we had now, in retrospect, it is hard not to admit we should have locked down sooner and taken more decisive action.

The whole deaths to cases ratio is something that is a question even now however, look at the South Western US at the moment, they are seeing a spike in cases but no discernible increase in deaths, not yet at least. The same can be said of Sweden at the moment, see here. They had a spike in cases in the last week or two but the number of daily deaths continued to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Does anyone know when they will name the countries we will have this "air bridge" with? I've a feeling Spain won't be on it simply to try get Irish people to spend money in Ireland

I don't understand what that has in common with my post. What I meant was people here are laying the blame for the virus coming here at the feet of skiers in Italy. It was going to get here sooner or later and it was most likely here and spreading at that point.

Later being THE WHOLE POINT of lockdown and restrictions?

Slow it down, give us time to learn about it and treat it effectively?

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its a reasonable question based on the fact they have found traces of Covid in France and Italy in December 2019. Based on that, you would imagine it can;t have been long after that when it got here but we didn't get our first confirmed case until February 29th

Regardless of that though, there was plenty calls for lockdown in the weeks before we actually did so in mid March and looking at the surge we had now, in retrospect, it is hard not to admit we should have locked down sooner and taken more decisive action.

The whole deaths to cases ratio is something that is a question even now however, look at the South Western US at the moment, they are seeing a spike in cases but no discernible increase in deaths, not yet at least. The same can be said of Sweden at the moment, see here. They had a spike in cases in the last week or two but the number of daily deaths continued to fall.

It was here in jan. But the tests were ****e.
    Was a patient in icu in a hospital here in jan, chest issues, kidney damage, ventilated, just home from a town near wuhan, kept in isolation ward never tested positive.

US2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when they will name the countries we will have this "air bridge" with? I've a feeling Spain won't be on it simply to try get Irish people to spend money in Ireland

It would be quite frankly ridiculous if they purposely left a country off that list in order to incentivise people to holiday at home. That list should be based entirely based on covid stats. If Spain meets whatever criteria they set, it should be on the list.

If they want to promote the idea of people staying at home instead of going abroad thats a totally separate thing and should ultimately come down to the individual person making that very decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Because exponential growth takes up to 4 months. It could well have been in the hospitals in January. How would we have tested for it? It didn't exist in our minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Electrified Fabric Could Zap the Coronavirus on Masks and Clothing

Sounds like a promising advance in fabrics to help defeat the virus...

“The beauty of this [technology] is the inherently simple design,” he says. The polyester material is printed with alternating spots of silver and zinc resembling polka dots. They are one to two millimeters wide and spaced one millimeter apart.

When the electroceutical material is dry, it functions as an ordinary fabric. But if it gets dampened—say, with saliva, vapor from a coughed up droplet or other bodily fluids—ions in the liquid trigger an electrochemical reaction. The silver and zinc then generate a weak electric field that zaps pathogens on the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Friends of mine own a very sucessful restaurent/Bar. Closed down at their own expense 2 weeks before lockdown as they could see the risk.

Lockdown helped tide them through and keep business afloat/staff paid.

How did they stay open in Lockdown and they can't survive now?

Was it Government subsidies?

Because exponential growth takes up to 4 months. It could well have been in the hospitals in January. How would we have tested for it? It didn't exist in our minds.

I assume in time when the pandemic is behind us, studies will be done taking what the normal death rate was in any given country for the period in question versus what the actual death figures were, the "excess deaths" idea. Only that I imagine can truly account for the overall toll of this and even at that proabbly with a large enough margin of error.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I assume in time when the pandemic is behind us, studies will be done taking what the normal death rate was in any given country for the period in question versus what the actual death figures were, the "excess deaths" idea. Only that I imagine can truly account for the overall toll of this and even at that proabbly with a large enough margin of error.
    Exactly. Things are moving too quickly worldwide right now for us to even consider the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Oh god Cheltenham is a c word second only to the female genitalia slang in terms of negativity for some people.

Purely anecdotal, but a friend of mine has a friend who is a doctor in St Vincent’s and they said the week of so after Cheltenham they had a very high number of cases who had been at Cheltenham. This was at the start of the crisis when a lot of cases were hospitalised for observation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It was here in jan. But the tests were ****e.
    Was a patient in icu in a hospital here in jan, chest issues, kidney damage, ventilated, just home from a town near wuhan, kept in isolation ward never tested positive.

How are you feeling now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

County figures have been updated on Gov.ie:

Clare -1 (denotified)
    Dublin +4
    Kildare +1
    Leitrim +1
    Sligo +3
    Waterford +1

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/eb27f-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-wednesday-1-july/

Later being THE WHOLE POINT of lockdown and restrictions?

Slow it down, give us time to learn about it and treat it effectively?

I'm saying that it was already here at that point. France had cases going back to December. Why would we be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

US2 wrote: »

Listened to Liz canavan press release today from the department of the taoiseach she stated a road map for safe overseas and finalize it's consideration very shortly.
    Can't wait to see what they considered

• Advertisement

Analysis of cases as of midnight Monday 29th June - 25,471 cases (+9)

Healthcare Workers +7
    Clusters +258
    Cases associated with clusters +527

Age Range Affected
    0-4 -1
    5-14 +1
    15-24 +2
    25-34 +4
    35-44 +1
    45-54 +2
    55-64 No Change
    65-74 No Change